1000 cranes.

1000 cranes.

RE-EDITED - 17/3/2013
Re-edited again - 29/5/2013


Waking up beside the most perfect guy in the world, perfect... to your eyes that is.

Slowly opening your eyes, the first thing you laid eyes on is the man you love sleeping soundly beside you. His arms wrapped around your body, making you feel safe. Of course, you had your arms wrapped around his waist. It's always been like this whenever the two of you share a bed. Usually he'd be too busy to come back home or he wouldn't want to disturb you sleeping so he'd sleep on the sofa by the living room. But days where he comes home on time, he'd sleep together with you in the room the two of you share.

Byun Baekhyun, the guy everyone never had hopes on. He lost his parents in a tragic car accident when he was a kid. Skies were dark and grey as he dreaded living every single day of his life ever since that incident, until... he met you. Now the two of you share a relationship, where the two of you constantly trust each other. Even when others put the two of you down, you two always find a way to boost each other back up, and some time during all those moments, the two of you fell in love. 

As a child, everyone made fun of him. For not having parents, for being the charity case. But being the cheeky girl you are, you stood up for him. Kind of like his bright and shining armor when it's supposed to be the other way around. You on the other hand, came from a wealthy family but no one really knew about it because you didn't want others to be friends with you just because you had money. It's not even your money, it's your parent's money. But people can't seem to understand that, so you kept it a secret.

Now Baekhyun has a stable job, though he's not earning as much as you are, he was still hardworking as ever. One of his dreams, other than getting married to you, is to own his own company, and probably have a Mercendes Benz to drive to work to.

You lifted up your index finger, and reached for Baekhyun's chin. Just sliding your finger from his temples until the bottom of his chin. You froze the moment he opened his eyes, slowly. A slight curve formed upon his lips as he held onto your hand. 

"Why are you up so early?" he murmured as he let go of your hand and pulled you in closer, closing the gap between the two of you. With your chests just pressing on to one another, feeling his heartbeat.

"I was just-" 

He hushed you and murmured "Sleep in, with me" A smile formed upon your lips as you nodded slightly and closed your eyes.

◆❖◆❖

"Baby wake up."
"Baby..."
"Hyun Ju-ah..."
"Baby!"

You opened your eyes slowly and see a blur image of a guy by your bed. You rubbed your eyes and see Baekhyun kneeling down beside the bed. He was resting his chin on his arms that was crossed on the side of the bed. "Wake up, you sleeping pig. Come down for breakfast!" he said as he got up and left the room.

"How adorable." a thought run through your mind as you pushed yourself off the bed. You looked around the room and your eyes stopped at a black bag. It was never there last night, how is it here in the morning? You got up and walked towards the black bag. Being careful, you reached for a baseball bat behind the door and approached the bag. You were roughly two steps away from the bag and you poked the bag with the baseball bat. Seems like it's not a living thing inside so you tossed the baseball bat on top of the bed and wanted to open the bag, to see what's in it. It's not your bag, so it had to be Baekhyun's.

As your finger touched the bag you felt arms pulling you back, lifting you up by your waist. You let out a soft scream as you know it was Baekhyun lifting you around. He swinged you around until he flopped down onto the bed, letting you land on top of him.

"What are you doing snooping around hmm?" he said with his grip around your waist still tight.

"Y-yah ! Let go!" You said as you struggled to push his hands away. "No!" 
You tried hard to break free but you slowly stopped trying to push him away. Instead you turned your head slightly facing his. From a big smile he closed his lips and leaned closer for a kiss. At that moment you took the chance to push away his hands and ran straight for the door. Which of course, you succeeded.

"Come back here Hyun Ju!" you hear a shout coming from upstairs as you ran downstairs. Chuckling to yourself you ran and sat by the dining table just waiting for him to come down. You hear thuds coming from the stairs and that's when you knew he was coming down. Until you hear him grunting and heard him hissing in pain. You got up and ran up the stairs. You stopped halfway when you found Baekhyun on the step of the stairs. You pulled him up and said "What am I going to do with you?" He pecked your lips and said "Love me forever."

You helped him down and he assured he was fine. You believed him because he was stretching around and he went straight to the kitchen. He didn't let you to come into the kitchen, and told you to stay put.

◆❖◆❖

"Baby~ Are you back from work yet?" Baekhyun said as you were still in office. "Sorry! I'm still at work." you replied quickly, looking around to see if anyone was nearby your office. You had quite a high rank in the company, but you still have to keep it professional and not let anyone see that you're answering non-work related calls. "Can you get off work early? Please?" he used his cute voice on you that he knew you couldn't resist. "You know I'd love to, but I can't tonight." you gulped and he whined your name. "You know I can't resist you when you ask me like that."

"Exactly why I used it against you! Please? You know I never ask for it unless I'm desperate. Please..." he pleaded and that's when you bit your lip and looked around to see if your boss was in his office. He had a green light on his doorknob, which means he's in. If he's not in, means the light will be red. "Hyun Ju?" he called you out when he thought you had hung up. "Alright, I'll be home by 8.00p.m." you said with a nod even though he can't see it.

"7.00p.m." he said as he tried to get you home earlier. "7.30p.m." you protested back when he said, "6.00p.m."
"7.15p.m. and that's as early as I'm going to go. Trying to push your luck? Byun Baekhyun?" he chuckled softly before he said, "It's all because I want to spend more time with you."
"What could be so important tonight?" you asked as you tried to think of all the possibilities but none popped into your mind. "You'll see. I'm sure your boss will let you off early tonight! He likes you the most out of all the workers there. See you soon sweetheart!" with that being said, you heard a 'beep' and you knew he hung up.

◆❖◆❖

Your boss agreed to let you get off work early, he even told you that you could take a day off for tomorrow since business in the company was really good. You knew he'd let you off early, but the part where you get a day off tomorrow was another thing. You got into the car and drove home. Just as you reached the doorstep, the door opened and you didn't even need to take your keys out. You looked up and see Baekhyun smiling at you with his perfect, angelic smile. He pulled you in and closed the door tight. "What's so special about tonight?" You asked as you walked towards the living room to toss aside your bag and coat. There wasn't a reply, in fact, Baekhyun was no where to be found. You got up and walked into the kitchen, since he didn't reply you. Just as you opened the fridge door, you felt arms snaking around your waist, causing you to shrug your shoulder and closing the fridge door instantly. You turned your head slowly and Baekhyun was resting his chin on your shoulder.

"Happy 1000th day anniversary baby." he said as he swayed from left to right. Swaying you along with him. You turned around and your arms automatically went around his neck and his arms was still around your waist.

"Is that why you wanted me home tonight?" you asked as he stared into your eyes. He nodded and leaned closer for a kiss. 

◆❖◆❖

You wondered what was going on, he blindfolded you immediately after the kiss the two of you shared. He held onto your hand, pulling you up the stairs. He was leading the way but suddenly stopped. You still didn't know where he was taking you but all you know is that it's upstairs of the house. You hear the door squeak open and he said "You can take the blindfold off sweetheart." You slowly reached for the knot of the blindfold and untied it. As you opened your eyes, you blinked in disbelief. The room was filled with paper cranes. Dangling from the ceiling. Placed nicely by the windows. Rows of cranes on the shelves. A shape of a heart made by paper cranes on the bed. Everywhere except the floors. 

"Watch this." Baekhyun said as he walked in, pulling you in and closing the door. He switched on the lights by the windows and you could see paper cranes stuck by the window spelling out "Happy 1000th Anniversary, Hyun Ju <3 " With a little heart at the end. It was all colorful, the colors of the cranes were according to the colors of the rainbow. Unknowingly a tear rolled down your cheek and you sniffed a little. He placed his hands on your shoulders and leaned his forehead onto yours. "You know, they say if you fold 1000 cranes, you get a wish." he said as he gave a peck on the tip of your nose.

"How many are there here?" you questioned him, as you stared into his round,sparkling eyes. "Exactly,1000 cranes."

"And what do you wish for?"

"You to be mine forever."

◆❖◆❖

"We need to meet up" you said on the phone as you waited by the park. "W-what's going on baby?" Baekhyun asked with his voice shaking. "Be here soon, it's important." you said before you hung up. You knew he could get off work for a moment, he could even get off for an hour if he wanted too. So that's why you asked to meet up. You gripped the handle of the suitcase beside you as you waited for Baekhyun to arrive.

◆❖◆❖(Baekhyun's POV from now on)

As I reached the park, I see Hyun Ju standing there with a suitcase. I walked closer towards her and hugged her from behind. She shrugged her shoulders a little, but pushed away my arms immediately a few seconds after I hugged her.

"What's wrong? Is something wrong?" I asked as I cupped her cheeks. She pushed away my hands and let out a heavy sigh.

"Don't just sigh, tell me what's wrong!" I demanded as I reached for her hands but she took a step backwards, not letting me touch her.

"What have I done? D-did I do something wrong? A-Are you hurt? Baby?" I bombarded her with questions, I didn't feel good in my gut. 

She lifted up her head and she squeezed out, "I'm leaving to New York and I'm never coming back until a few years."

"W-what? I'll go with you, I'll come with you!" I said as I took a step closer towards her. She took another step backwards and said, "I'm going alone, Baekhyun. It's... probably for the best you didn't come along." I pulled her in for a hug and said "We'll make this work, we can get through this. I'll wait for you. There's Skype, calls, messages,"

I broke the hug and continued "We can call every night, every week. I can come visit from time to time, anytime you want me to! I'll just work a little bit harder or get a second job so I could buy tickets to fly over and vis-"

"I..."

I stopped talking the moment she spoke. 

"I don't picture us together in the future. I don't think I'll be able to see us going strong while I'm away in New York. Long distance relationships don't work. And they never will to me." she said as she gazed down to the ground. I let go of her shoulders and said "S-so what are you trying to say now?"

"I'm saying... Let's end this, Baekhyun. I'm leaving tonight. I packed up all my things and, I'm not coming back." she said as she turned around with her suitcase beside her. She gripped the suitcase handle and began to walk away from me.

"Is it because I'm not wealthy enough for you?!" I shouted at the top of my lungs, causing her to stop walking. She turned around as a hot tear rolled down my cheek. "Yes. You're not good enough, and I was blinded by the fact that I thought you were. But I was wrong. You're going nowhere. All this while I'm the one supporting this relationship financially. What are you doing? Nothing. Wake up Baekhyun, wake up." was the only words that escaped before she left. Her words were like knives piercing through my heart. Stabbing my heart every spot possible, leaving pain and pressure pressing around my heart.

I couldn't bring myself to chase after her, instead I fell on my knees to punch the ground hard enough even though my hands was already feeling numb. Let alone bleeding. Echoes constantly lingering around my mind telling me, questioning myself, why wasn't I born from a wealthy family? Why didn't I have the privilege to be a part of a family so that I could have extra support?

Why... because of wealth, I lost the girl I loved the most?

◆❖◆❖

"Boss ! I'll see you tomorrow right?" a worker said to me before watching me get into my Mercedes Benz. "Of course, carry on with your work, I'll be back before you know it." I said as I got into my car. If Hyun Ju was back here, I want to show her that I'm far more wealthy than I used to be. I have my own company, I'm living my dreams as my own boss. Me. As the boss of a company.

I thought so many times whether I should fly to New York, and take her back. To show her that, I'm someone now. I made it somewhere in life. I want my bright and shining armor, to be back with me here again. To have her beside be once again and show her that I'm capable of taking care of her, pampering her, all on my own. I gave my all into making it into this business and here I am, driving in my own Mercedes Benz that I said I would take her for a spin one day.

I'm waiting for that day to come, to think of it. I've been looking for places to stay in New York as I may move there and begin my search for Hyun Ju.

As I drive down the street, it began to rain heavily, just out of no where. Slowly as I went down, I see an old couple by the sidewalk, sharing an umbrella. As I look closer I realized, it was Hyun Ju's parents. They're still here? I slowly drove beside them, just hoping they'd notice me. But they didn't, they entered the cemetary. I got down of my car, with an umbrella following them from behind. Slowly they stopped on a tombstone where it had a picture of a young lady, along with a box beside the tombstone. I walked closer and my heart dropped the moment I saw whose picture it was. It was Hyun Ju's photo on the tombstone, not only did my heart drop, so did my umbrella.

I was getting drenched by the minute but nothing came over me to take back the umbrella. I fell to my knees when suddenly Hyun Ju's parents turned around and realized my presence. They walked closer towards me and hovered the umbrella over me. Hyun Ju's father, being the kind hearted man he was, took my umbrella and hovered it over me as his wife hovered the umbrella over herself. 

I got up on my feet, and questioned them "W-what... h-how did--"

"Hyun Ju... she never left to New York," Hyun Ju's mother started out. Hyun Ju's mother couldn't go on as she was choking on her incoming tears, so her father stepped in to explain.

"She had an illness at her heart that could never be cured. The day she said she'd leave to New York, was the day she passed on..." Hyun Ju's father continued as Hyun Ju's mother started to sob. Even I started... to cry and choked on air. Tears rolled down my cheeks as Hyun Ju's father passed me the umbrella and he walked towards the tombstone reaching for the box. He got a little wet but he passed me the box and stood under the umbrella beside his wife. "She wanted you to have that, just in case you'd come back and find out about this." Hyun Ju's father said as he turned around with his wife, kneeling down in front of Hyun Ju's tombstone.

◆❖◆❖

I got into the back seat of my car. The box that Hyun Ju's father passed to me, wasn't exactly small. But it managed to fit perfectly at the backseat of my car. I locked the car door and opened the box. It was... filled with the exact paper cranes I made for her. One by one, I took them out , counting them.

"997, 998, 999... 999?"

I looked around in the box, trying to find the last one but I couldn't find it. Frustrated I filled the box with the paper cranes once again. As I took the cover of the box, there was a paper stuck underneath the cover, along with the last paper crane. Though this one was folded differently.

 

 

Byun Baekhyun,

In case, Fate brings you back here, and you found out about me... I would just like to say, thank you.
For showing me, I could love a man so much, I would come to this extend as to lie. But thank you, for being there during my first kiss, first dance, and for being my first love.

I'm sorry that I said those words, but I never meant any of that. Being with you for a long time, I know you cried... Please don't cry. Do it for me? Those words, I didn't mean it at all. I loved you for who you are. Regardless of your wealth status. Money is nothing to me as long as I have your love. Silly me... you're not mine anymore.

Here's the last piece of crane. Knowing you, I think you were frustrated when you couldn't find the last one, right? Silly, lovely boy. Here's the last one, sweetheart. I replaced the last one, with the one I made myself. Maybe that's the reason why it turned out pretty weird. You know how I'm not good in origami, but you loved it with all your heart. Probably because you were good at it. This is where I laugh... and you'd probably flick my forehead.

But,

Now it's your turn to make a new wish, I'll love you always.
Remember that I'll love you from up here.
Even if I'm not there with you.

 

From the silly girl that broke your heart but will love you forever and always,

Hwang Hyun Ju.

 

 

I wished you were back alive.

Please come back.

 

 

 

Please.

 


 

 

 

A/N : This is my first ever angst, because I thought I'd give a try! Sorry if it wasn't what you expected it to be, I'm still learning! ^^

Leave a comment. You know, if you want to. (I don't control you)