Night and Day - Part 1/4 - Night - Chapter 7

Night and Day - Part 1/4 - Night

Yesung started slightly when Kyuhyun sat down next to him and took one of his hands. Blinking at their now linked hands for a moment, the human lifted his gaze to Kyuhyun's expression, watching the emotions play across the vampire's face. If he wasn't so out of it, he would have been touched by how much of himself Kyuhyun was allowing him to see.

At the question, Yesung couldn't help the small laugh that escaped, more real than the previous. "To be honest, I did think so at first," he chuckled, shaking his head with a half smile. "I mean, you would think so too, wouldn't you? Of all the people I had to run into and follow, it had to be a vampire." He paused. "But I don't think so any more," he admitted, smile fading. "I don't... see you as unlucky. I'm actually happy to have met you."

Thinking, his train of thought was cut off by the lips pressed against his own. Yesung's eyes widened, frozen in place until the vampire pulled away. His lips tingled from the contact, his breath stalled in his lungs. Blinking at him for a moment, Kyuhyun's words tugged at him and Yesung decided, screw it, he was too tired to care about how he behaved anymore.

The human all but tackled Kyuhyun back onto the couch, his face buried against the other man's collarbone and his arms around his middle.

"For God's sake, don't talk like that," he mumbled, his voice slowly rising as he continued. "For me the most pressing issue is making sure I don't accidentally kill you or something, but if you're thinking about that instead, listen up."

"I don't know how relationships work for vampires, but us humans, or at least most of us, don't fall in love right away. So before you go emo on me, can you at least give me the chance to fall in love with you?" His grip on Kyuhyun's waist tightened. "Let me get to know you better, know your likes and dislikes and habits and whatever else."

The last part was mumbled, again, against Kyuhyun's shirt. "And if you're going to kiss me, at least give me enough time to respond properly, rather than just make myself look like a petrified moron."

Startled by Yesung's actions, Kyuhyun didn't know what to do, but stayed where he was, laying on his back awkwardly with Yesung on top of him. Yesung's words filled Kyuhyun with faint hope that maybe things weren't as hopeless as they appeared, and he allowed himself to smile faintly.

"I think I can do that," Kyuhyun said softly, his hands going to Yesung's face to make him look up. "It's different for us, but I can try and be more patient..."

"For us, we fall in love instantly and if we're with the right person, they love us too, and..." He sighed. "But you're not a vampire so I don't even know how it would work..." Looking at Yesung with the hope shining in his eyes, he tried to shift so Yesung was more on a level with him despite their height differences. "Kiss me?"

Allowing the vampire to tilt his face up, Yesung looked at him, his bangs falling into his eyes and his hair messed up from the tackle. Their faces were so close together it made Yesung blush, except he couldn't look away once again, his gaze caught with Kyuhyun's own.

"They say patience is a virtue," he quipped, unable to stop himself.

A whine of embarrassment left him when Kyuhyun shifted and their bodies rubbed together, the contact sending shivers down his spine. How had tackling been a good idea again?

"Well, right now, if humans say they fall in love at first sight, most people think they need a visit to the psychologist," Yesung mumbled. "Cause that means the relationship is based more on looks than it is on the person's actual personality, and that's bad." He didn't want to be in that kind of relationship, ever.

The question sent blood straight to his face again, the student blinking owlishly as if asking 'you want me to do what?'

"Just to let you know, I don't kiss people on a regular basis, so it's probably gonna ," he mumbled, then before he could let himself think about it too much, Yesung brought their lips together, uncertain and not sure what in the world he was supposed to do.

Amused by Yesung's mumblings and by the clear indications that at least his body liked Kyuhyun, if nothing else, Kyuhyun let Yesung begin the kiss, then took over from him and attempting to show Yesung what he wanted. His arms going around Yesung to hold him in place and stop him from falling to the floor, Kyuhyun shifted a little more to ease the pressure on his still-healing hip, then continued kissing Yesung without quite deepening it as much as he would have liked.

Finally he broke the kiss, his eyes closing as he struggled to catch his breath and his wandering thoughts (and hands). Yesung honestly had no idea how much of an effect he was having on Kyuhyun, but he'd wait to tell him that it wasn't like humans where, as Yesung had said, relationships seemed based more on looks than on personalities. He'd wait, but it wasn't easy for him to do so.

"What time is it?" he asked drowsily - surely they hadn't talked and kissed that long? He was starting to feel the listlessness that came with needing to sleep. "I think it must be getting close to dawn..."

"Stay...? Please?" Kyuhyun never begged, but he was coming close to it.

Yesung let Kyuhyun lead the kiss, finding it easier than just stumbling his way through the action. He could tell Kyuhyun was holding himself back and appreciated the gesture since he was still apprehensive about the whole idea, (though a whole lot more willing right now considering the fact he wasn't fully awake, he knew he would die of embarrassment later if they went too far).

The hands Yesung wasn't too sure about, but at least they stayed within certain areas. It still was more than a little distracting when Kyuhyun found sensitive spots at the small of his back and waist. Yesung made a clear noise into the kiss and then just as clearly berated himself for voicing said noise.

When they finally stopped, Yesung needed to remind himself to breathe, his cheeks flaming red and his body becoming far too sensitive to the other man's touches for his liking. "Late?" he took a lame guess, not bothering to look at his watch. Lifting his arm seemed like too much work.

"Depends if that means I still have to move," the human mumbled, dropping his head back to the crook of Kyuhyun's neck and letting it stay there. The exhaustion was pulling him under whether he liked it or not, too comfortable where he was.

"Unless you like having what amounts to a dead body laying around until sunset, you'll have to move so I can go to my room and out of your way," Kyuhyun murmured, hoping it wasn't already too late. "When I'm 'asleep', I can't wake up at all until the sun goes down... which means you're effectively trapped here with me if we stay on the sofa..."

Sighing softly, Kyuhyun tried to keep his eyes open so he could look at Yesung. "You wouldn't be able to leave because the sunlight would kill me..." Though if Yesung really wanted to be rid of him, now was the perfect time, the cynical part of him thought. "And I have to go now...."

Moving so he could sit up, Kyuhyun felt so tired he could barely move, but he had to do this for Yesung's sake, as well as his own. He had to let Yesung have the chance to leave if he had to or wanted to, because the alternative might not be so attractive to the young singer.

The idea of having a 'dead body' around wasn't particularly appealing, but Yesung was too tired to care. When he felt Kyuhyun moving, the human stubbornly kept his arms wrapped around the singer's waist. "Stay," he mumbled, not bothering to notice how stupid this was. Logic was for the fully awake.

"We'll be two dead bodies together." The music student was so tired he might just sleep until sunset anyways, school be damned. He thought he might actually get a good rest this time and wasn't waking up for something as minor as history class.

Yesung's eyes closed, and he resumed snuggling against the vampire. He could freak out about the contact later. "Waited outside freezing to talk to you..." he whispered. "I'm not leaving so quickly, jerk." And with that, he was out cold.

Caught completely by surprise by Yesung's actions and words, Kyuhyun didn't know what to do. On the one hand, Yesung claimed not to have feelings for him, yet he was doing something Kyuhyun considered pretty intimate - spending the night not just with him, but in his arms. It was a lot of trust to be showing him without feelings being involved in it, though part of Kyuhyun wondered cynically if it was just Yesung being so tired he didn't care, and that if/when he woke up, he'd freak out when he couldn't leave.

It didn't matter any more, the decision taken out of his hands as he collapsed back onto the sofa, his eyes closed as if in sleep. His body took charge as it always did when the sun rose, the one thing about himself Kyuhyun was never able to control. It annoyed him, but there wasn't anything he could do about it but hope Yesung was true to his word and wouldn't try to leave him.

Yesung remained practically comatose until an hour or two before sunset. Stirring sleepily, the human was confused when he felt the soft material of a shirt gripped in his small hands, as well as a body beside him. When he opened his eyes, Yesung restrained a yelp of surprise as well as the instinct of pushing Kyuhyun off the sofa. Okay, he was definitely awake now.

Blinking at the vampire's still expression, the human breathed in and out slowly to calm his heartbeat. The events of last night came back slowly and he groaned a little at how... idiotic he had been. Well, there wasn't anything he could do now but wait for Kyuhyun to wake up.

Eventually hunger got the better of him, and Yesung managed to detach himself from Kyuhyun and get up, hovering awkwardly for a moment before going to find whatever Kyuhyun had bought from the corner store. A small snack satisfied him for the time being and Yesung instead turned curious eyes to the house around him.

Walking around and snooping into everything, Yesung found a blanket stored in one of the cupboards. Speaking of the cupboards... they were mostly bare aside from video games, books, and various collections. There was very little of the necessities one would find in a human household.

Padding back into the living room and draping the blanket over Kyuhyun, though he wasn't at all sure it would make a difference, he turned to inspect the video game collection instead, seated on the floor and going over the instructions curiously.

Around sunset, Kyuhyun finally began to stir, coming back to life slowly due to his still-healing injuries. To his surprise, he found Yesung sitting on the floor and playing one of his games. Watching the young singer with amusement, Kyuhyun wasn't sure he wanted to interrupt him just yet; he was likely to scare Yesung into losing and he seemed to be doing that quite well on his own.

"You want to use thunderstrike on that boss," Kyuhyun commented softly, just to see Yesung's reaction as he spoke, his eyes dancing with merriment. "He's pretty easy to beat once you get his HP down..."

Suddenly noticing the blanket Yesung had laid over him, Kyuhyun glanced at Yesung again, feeling a bit touched at the young singer's thoughtfulness. While he didn't feel the cold while he 'slept', it was a nice gesture.

"Thank you..." he added, wondering when he'd gotten so shy all of a sudden as he the blanket and the sofa to watch Yesung with a wince as he jarred his hip.

Yesung remained completely unaware that Kyuhyun was awake until the vampire's voice reached him. Jumping and squeaking in alarm, he accidentally pressed the wrong combination of buttons and sent his character into a suicidal lunge off the nearest cliff.

A whine left the student as he put the controller down, glaring at it as though he could cause it to burst into flames.

"Stupid games never liked me anyways," he muttered darkly. Looking up at Kyuhyun, he winced when he saw the quick flash of pain across the other man's face.

"Oh. Um... sorry. Did I... tackle you too hard?" he apologized. "Your game hates me," he announced, pointing at the tv screen with an accusing finger. "How do you even do that? They shouldn't program ways to commit suicide into these games."

Waving off Yesung's concern, Kyuhyun smiled faintly. "Many years of practice," he replied, sighing a little. "I had nothing better to do..." The amusement returning at Yesung's indignation, Kyuhyun grinned.

"Taking the suicide option out of it would spoil the fun of watching noobs play," he teased, then sobered. "If you want, sometime, maybe I could teach you.... how to play better..." Kyuhyun looked at Yesung with faint hope in his expression. "You did say you wanted to get to know me, didn't you? What better way than by gaming? Unless you have interesting hobbies you'd rather share with me?"

He didn't reply to Yesung's worry that he'd inadvertently hurt Kyuhyun, because he couldn't be sure he hadn't, but Kyuhyun knew it hadn't been intentional if that was what had caused his hip to grate, so it wasn't worth worrying about. He didn't blame Yesung for it at all. As he'd tried to tell Yesung before, he laid the blame squarely with the driver who'd hit him and caused him to go out of control.

"Have you eaten?" Kyuhyun asked, feeling the vague stirrings of hunger. "I.... have to feed some time tonight so if you want to go home, or stay here, or..." Unsure of what he wanted, Kyuhyun sighed and began to sit up slowly, wincing a little more. It was more up to Yesung what he wanted to do than Kyuhyun anyway and he knew that. It didn't stop him from becoming tongue-tied trying to express it.

The student's mouth fell open at the teasing. "Hey! Not everyone has a talent for eye-thumb coordination" he huffed, looking very indignant. Give him a singing game any day over these fighting ones.

At Kyuhyun's offer, Yesung brightened. "That would be great if you could... I warn you now though, the frustration might make you want to pull your hair out. Or mine."

Suicidal jumps weren't the only ways he managed to kill himself in games. When he used to play with his brother, the other boy would joke that if there was a way to decapitate himself with his own weapon, Yesung would find it.

"I don't really have any interesting hobbies," he said with a shrug. "Besides the piano and photography. Oh, and taking care of Ddangkkoma."

Yesung noticed the lack of response to his inquiry, biting at his lower lip. He knew saying anything about Kyuhyun's injury would just start up on that conversation again and he didn't want to argue with the vampire about whether his curse had caused the injury or not.

"Food?" He snapped out of his thoughts quickly. "Um, I had one of those snacks that you bought, so I'm fine." He winced a little at the idea of feeding but didn't comment. "If it's alright, I need to head back to the dorm for a bit... need to do a bit of damage control before my room-mate thinks I've been kidnapped and phones the police." Which had happened in the past.

Grinning, Kyuhyun pushed himself further up on the sofa and leaned back for a moment to let his body finish protesting. "Ddangkkoma?" he asked, curious. "Is that your turtle's name? It's very cute..." He glanced at Yesung from under his bangs, pushing them out of the way. "And yeah, sure. I don't mind teaching you... it'll be fun." For whom, he didn't say, but just grinned.

Nodding at the fact that Yesung had found the snacks and eaten already, Kyuhyun wasn't surprised the singer wanted to go back to the dorms; it made sense to him, especially given Yesung's room-mate. "I'll walk you home then," he added, standing up awkwardly. "Then I can go feed later and get to work. Have a lot to catch up on myself..."

Holding out his hand to pull Yesung up from the floor, Kyuhyun smiled, glad that Yesung had stayed and hadn't chosen to leave him. It felt like such a big step forward to him and gave him hope. "Should we go?" he asked, walking slowly to the door to put his shoes on.

Yesung grinned sheepishly. "Yeah, it is... turtles seem to be the best pets for me." There was very little that could go wrong with a turtle, unlike a puppy or cat that was likely to be lost, or stepped on, or injured...

Shaking himself out of such thoughts, he blinked as he was offered a hand. Yesung took it after a moment, standing up with Kyuhyun's help. He remembered to put all the games he'd looked at away and the controller out of the way before he could trip on the cord.

"I need to go to classes too," he murmured. Pausing, he looked up at Kyuhyun with a bright smile. "When can I visit again?" He wanted to show the vampire he wasn't going to shy away and wanted to get to know him better. It would be hard thanks to their different hours, but it could work.

Yesung followed Kyuhyun to the door, pulling on his own shoes as well. He felt much more awake now. This guy was going to turn him into a night owl.

Nodding soberly when Yesung mentioned his classes, Kyuhyun looked apologetic. "It might be easier if you gave me your schedule," he replied, opening the door and stepping outside. "Then I can come find you when I'm free... rather than you finding me at the worst possible moment..." He winced. "Like that first night..."

Locking everything up behind them, Kyuhyun began to walk, trusting that Yesung would follow him, or at the very least walk beside him.

"I'm usually free first thing at night, and just before dawn... but for obvious reasons, it's not a good thing to catch me when I'm sleepy..." Kyuhyun chuckled wryly, glancing sidelong at Yesung and flushing a little. He still couldn't quite believe that Yesung had trusted him enough (and that he'd trusted Yesung enough) to sleep (and only sleep) with him on the sofa that day.

"I can make a copy for you at the dorms," Yesung nodded, then laughed sheepishly. "Sorry... I really don't try to run you over on purpose..." It just happens. "You have my phone number too..." Though he still didn't have the vampire's. He'd forgotten to save it in his phone after the hospital called him.

Realizing he was being left behind, Yesung jogged to catch up before walking beside the other man. "I thought vampires didn't sleep," he murmured, his voice quietening a little when they stepped out onto the main streets. "You'll have to explain to me what's myth and what's real. Or what's Twilight. I don't think you sparkle in sunlight."

A shiver ran down his body and he paused for a moment, blinking. Glancing around him, Yesung shrugged it off and kept walking. But the back of his neck prickled slightly and he seemed uneasy all of a sudden.

Not noticing Yesung's unease, Kyuhyun chuckled wryly. "No, I don't sparkle, if that's what you mean. I have no idea how it works in other countries since things seem different in some places than others, but for me, once the dawn comes, my body - for all intents and purposes - dies, and I don't come back to life until the sun's set."

He shrugged. "You can imagine how little I'm able to do in the summer when there's so much sunlight, but I don't know any different. It's been like this ever since..." Kyuhyun stopped, not wanting to talk about when he was human and had been turned vampire. It was still a touchy subject for him, even with Yesung.

He was also interrupted by the sound of a truck's brakes squealing and looked up, just in time to see it hurtling towards Yesung without stopping. His heart in his throat, Kyuhyun barely managed to push Yesung out of the way as the truck clipped his arm, causing blood to well up through his shirt from the gash, then smash into the building where they'd been standing not two seconds before. Glancing at Yesung to make sure he was unhurt, Kyuhyun held out his uninjured hand to help pull him up.

"I... don't know what the hell that was about," he said breathlessly, worried for Yesung's sake as the young man seemed to have gone into shock. "But wow. That was... scary..."

Whatever Yesung had been about to say about Kyuhyun suddenly cutting himself off was lost when he heard the truck, his body freezing in panic. Some other sense was screaming at him that this wasn't normal, wasn't supposed to happen.

A yelp escaped the human as he was pushed out of the way and to the ground, watching with horror as the truck smashed into the building. Glass flew everywhere, Yesung instinctively lifting his arms to protect his face. Small cuts appeared on his hands, but nothing serious.

He hardly noticed this though as he stared at the smashed truck, his eyes wide and his skin ghostly white. The student didn't even notice Kyuhyun's hand, his breath coming in sharp bursts as his mind scrambled to figure out what had just happened. How did a truck just suddenly lose control like that? It wasn't... it couldn't have been normal.

When he realized that tingling sensation that had overcome him moments before the accident was completely gone, Yesung's hands started to shake. "N-no..."

Concerned about Yesung's reaction to the accident, Kyuhyun bent down beside Yesung, looking at him in worry. "Yesung? It's ok... I'm alright. Are you ok?" he asked, noticing the small cuts on Yesung's hands. Surprisingly enough, it didn't trigger his hunger as it normally would have done, but Kyuhyun pushed that knowledge away for now. He had to help Yesung, but why was he acting so strangely?

Putting his arms around the shaking young singer, Kyuhyun pulled him to his feet. "Come on," he urged, noticing a crowd gathering even as he spoke. Sooner or later he'd be recognised, and then all hell would break loose and he didn't want Yesung caught up in that. "I'll take you home and I'll go out later.."

Unaware of the cuts on his own hands and face from the flying glass, Kyuhyun tried to guide Yesung back in the direction they'd come from.

Yesung staggered as he was pulled to his feet, instinctively gripping Kyuhyun's shirt to keep himself upright. Tearing his eyes away from the accident as he was guided in the direction of Kyuhyun's home, he noticed the large gash across Kyuhyun's arm, blood staining the material of his shirt.

A choked gasp escaped him and it was a good thing Kyuhyun was holding him upright or he would have fallen back over. "Y-you're hurt..." Yesung whispered, the reality of what had just happened sinking in as he started to shake even more.

"Th-that wasn't... that wasn't an accident," he managed to get out, hardly able to breathe. "I did that... I caused that. I..." he staggered again, dizziness swamping him for a moment as tears filled his eyes. He'd nearly gotten both of them killed.

That realization was the last straw and Yesung fell back to the ground, unable to support himself even that little bit.