Night and Day - Part 1/4 - Night - Chapter 1

Night and Day - Part 1/4 - Night

He was running late...again. Why did this always happen to him?

Taking a corner sharply and nearly crashing into a girl going the opposite direction, Yesung ran down the side street at full speed. It was late, and his over-bearing university room-mate was going to have his head if he wasn't back at the dorms before midnight. It wasn't his fault he was late though! The city bus broke down, and then there was that accident, and then a crowd of people appearing out of nowhere...

Well actually, yes, that was all his fault. But Yesung was determined not to think about that. Anyways, his bad luck should be up for the next half hour, right? How much worse could it get?

It was then Yesung took another corner into an unlit street and collided full-force with someone else, falling on top of the other pedestrian with a yelp.

He should really stop jinxing himself.

Kyuhyun was on his way out to his usual places in order to look for food, exhausted because work had kept him longer than normal on the pretext that 'well, since you don't work days, you should be grateful you have any work at all' as his producer, Kim Seunghyun, had said in an acidic tone. It wasn't his fault he was a vampire, it had just...happened.

Of course the fact that he was also gifted and cursed at the same time didn't help any; his sultry voice had led a vampire straight to him one evening at a seedy bar (or tavern as they'd called them back then) too long ago for him to even remember now, and that, as they say, was that. The end of one Cho Kyuhyun's life and the beginning of another...not-quite-life.

Musing on this caused Kyuhyun to be less careful than usual and he ended up flat on his back, a heavier man falling on top of him and driving the breath from him. Stunned, it was a few moments before he could push the man off him again with an angry curse.

"Watch where you're going, idiot," he said angrily, sitting up and holding his head. Damn that had hurt. Vampire or not, he was still succeptible to the same injuries as normal humans, thanks to his curse that left him barely stronger than the average human. "You're going to kill someone doing that if you're not careful."

Dizzy from the sudden fall, Yesung didn't move until he felt hands pushing him away. He was rolled to one side and onto his back beside the man he'd crashed into, blinking up at the night sky. Sitting up with a wince, he shook his head to clear it and groaned when the action caused his vision to spin even more. Well, that settled it. He was going to lock himself up in a box somewhere and never leave. Even a simple trip to the book store turned into an adventure.

It took a moment for him to register what the other man was saying, Yesung blinking at him stupidly. After a moment he winced again. "Sorry. I was in a hurry and it's dark. Um, are you alright?" He nervously brushed a bit of dirt off the other man's shirt.

Slapping the other man's hands away, Kyuhyun retreated from him, feeling the familiar hunger that said he needed to feed and soon. "Don't touch me," he said harshly, his voice husky with the need to feed. He had to find someone and soon. "You don't know who or what you're dealing with, so I suggest you go home and forget you ever saw me."

Staggering upright, Kyuhyun sighed and looked around. He wasn't far off his usual areas, so it wouldn't be hard for him to find someone, but he had to get rid of this guy first.

"Go home. Do whatever, but just...go away..." Belatedly, he realised the other man had just been worried about him and looked at the young man laying on the ground. "I am fine. But are you?"

Yesung blinked again as his hands were slapped away, confused. Maybe he had a phobia of germs? Though that was a rather odd thing to say...'you don't know who or what you're dealing with'? He'd never heard that one before.

"Um...sorry?" he apologized again meekly, looking up as the young man stood. "That was that I was trying to do, actually," he said helpfully, as if this stranger actually cared.

At the question, Yesung nodded. He was more than used to occurrences like this. "Never been better." He gathered his feet beneath him and started to stand, tripping over his shoelaces and promptly faceplanting back onto the cement, narrowly avoiding taking the other man down with him again. His yelp was muffled by the ground.

Sighing, Kyuhyun pulled the strange man to his feet, then shoved him gently to the entrance of the alleyway, hoping he'd get the hint and leave so he could go hunt. The longer this went on, the more unsafe things were for the young man and Kyuhyun didn't want to face killing someone normal. Or relatively so, he thought wryly.

"Go..." he urged him, deciding it wasn't worth the risk after all and starting off himself. If this guy was going to go home, then he should hurry up and just go. And not follow him, either. Kyuhyun didn't want anyone to know what he was; he had a reputation to protect and it wouldn't be very good for one of Korea's up and coming singers to be found out as a vampire. Again.

Hands helped Yesung to his feet, the student a little unsteady from the fall. This was why he declined the doctor's advice of wearing glasses...they'd just end up smashed during his numerous faceplants.

"Thank you...?" he trailed off as he was pushed towards the entrance of the alleyway, looking over his shoulder at the young man. He couldn't see the other man's face very well thanks to the lack of lights. Why was he acting so strangely, wanting Yesung to leave? He had every right to be here...

Watching the other man leave, Yesung turned around to face the alleyway again, confused. That was odd. What had been the point of telling him to go then leaving? It was contradictory in an odd way, and didn't make any sense. Yesung looked after him, fixing his mussed hair with one hand. What was with that guy...?

So, Yesung did what any sensible, university student cursed with endless bad luck would do. He followed him.

Intent on finding someone that met his needs, Kyuhyun didn't notice the man following him instead of going home like he'd told him to. The hunger overwhelming him quickly as soon as he arrived at his destination, Kyuhyun's eyes began to glow redly and his fangs grew, though he tried to keep his mouth closed so they were less noticeable. It wouldn't do to scare off his dinner when he was hungry.

Finally settling on a man who was slumped in the entrance of a closed and boarded up shop, the signs of hard living apparent, Kyuhyun bent down and quickly fed on him, the last stray drops of blood from the man's neck and his lips before straightening up and continuing on down the street as if nothing had happened. The man would be found the next morning (or not, as the case may be) but hopefully wouldn't be traced to him.

The edge off his hunger, Kyuhyun sighed as he thought about the idiot who'd run into him. Were people in this part of town always so...stupid? Most people tended to stay away from him unless they had no other choice or unless they were working with or for him, so why would anyone voluntarily stick around like that? It was just too weird.

As he thought, Kyuhyun bent over another victim, this time an older homeless woman whose grey hair stuck out every which way from under a knitted cap that had obviously seen better days. Well, now she would go where she wouldn't have to worry about it, Kyuhyun thought a little sadly as he got up again and walked on, his hunger now sated. As his senses sharpened, he could hear footsteps behind him, and turned around to face whoever was following him.

Yesung felt like a secret agent or something, sneaking along through the back alleys after a stranger. Granted, he banged his shoulder off a garbage bin once and nearly started quite a racket when a cat with the scariest set of teeth he'd ever seen came at him, but he hadn't been found out yet. His room-mate was going to kill him when he got back; he was very late, but the thought that he should give up and head back to the university campus was fleeting.

For one, he had absolutely no idea where he was right now, and the only way to get back to the main streets would be to follow the stranger, right? He'd have to turn onto a main road somewhere. What was he doing in such dark alleys anyways? Yesung crinkled his nose at the smell of urine and garbage. He'd never been in this area before, and he didn't think he ever would again.

Snapping out of his thoughts in time to see his quarry stop again, Yesung hid in a corner. There was someone with him...someone slumped against a boarded-up door. Wondering what the stranger could want with such a tired-looking man, Yesung just barely held back a gasp when the stranger bent and sunk his teeth into the older man's neck.

The student watched with a mix of fascination and horror, frozen to the spot as the man's brief struggle ended and his attacker straightened again, continuing on. Staring after him, Yesung barely remembered he had no idea where he was and should follow, staggering slightly as he hurried to catch up.

First though, he stopped and knelt beside the man who'd been left in the doorway, squinting through the darkness. He wasn't moving, Yesung shook his slightly, and jumped backwards onto his rear when the man toppled forward, dead. Shaking, Yesung stood again and drew in a shaky breath. The man was dead. What had that stranger done to him? Bitten his neck...no, he'd probably stabbed him or something. But Yesung couldn't see a trace of blood...

Gulping, he continued to follow the stranger, though by now his common sense was screaming at him to stop, stop and find his way back himself, what was he doing following that guy? He watched the stranger do the same thing to an elderly woman, walking on when he was finished. Yesung checked again on his way by, and she was dead as well. This time he noticed the pinprick marks in her neck. What...?

Shakily continuing, Yesung froze when the man he was following started to turn. Biting his lip to hide a squeak, he quickly jammed himself into a small alley between buildings barely wide enough for him to fit. Naturally, his feet hit the garbage can sitting at the building corner, knocking it over with a loud crash and causing him to flail and fall onto his back.

Angrily, Kyuhyun stalked to the tiny little alley and saw the same man he'd been run over by not long ago, pulling him to his feet in fury.

"What the hell do you think you're doing, following me?" he hissed at the man, shaking him and throwing him against the stone of the wall behind him. "Do you have a death wish?"

He was shaking himself, angry with himself for being so careless as to let this man follow him so easily. It wasn't hard to see he'd blown his so-called cover and would now have to do something about it, despite the fact that he didn't really want to kill this man. Kyuhyun didn't really understand why, or how, but he felt some sort of attraction, some kind of...pull towards this man and it scared him.

"What do you have to say for yourself?" he demanded, blocking the exit. There was no way he was going to let the man go without a satisfactory explanation for what he'd done. Then...Kyuhyun would have to think of what to do with him. He couldn't just let him go like this.

Any hope Yesung had held at not being caught was immediately shattered as the man he'd been following appeared at the mouth of the alley and hauled him to his feet. A yelp of pain escaped him when he was shaken and thrown against the wall, seeing stars when the back of his head hit the stone hard. Scared and disoriented, Yesung blinked hard to clear his vision and looked into a pair of very angry eyes.

"N-n-no," he managed to stutter, pale with fright. Was he going to die now? He'd always figured he'd have an early death with his 'handicap', but like this?

"Please don't kill me?" he pleaded, sinking back to the ground which seemed reassuringly solid right now. "I p-probably don't taste that good. All skin and bone, or fat, skin and bone, and fat isn't very good for you. N-neither is skin and bone."

He looked for a method of escape, but there was nowhere to go. The other man was blocking the only exit.

"Um! I-I don't think we were properly introduced, I'm Yesung, and you are?" the student babbled, not sure what to say so he was just saying anything that came to mind.

Blinking as the stranger introduced himself, Kyuhyun could only stare at him in surprise, unsure whether to laugh his off or kill Yesung outright. He had followed him and was dangerous to Kyuhyun in that respect, but at the same time, there was the pull that Kyuhyun had yet to understand.

"What the hell are you on about?" he asked, shaking his head at Yesung's nervous babbling. "I don't eat people. I just...well, I don't eat people. Whatever else I do is none of your business, and if you want to stay alive you'll forget you ever met me." Though he was unlikely to forget the clumsy Yesung any time soon. "Now go home, Yesung!"

Kyuhyun stepped aside to let Yesung leave if he wanted to, but if he stayed, what was Kyuhyun going to do? He had no idea and it was driving him crazy. He wasn't normally this indecisive. If anyone was ever stupid enough to stumble on him feeding, they added to his list of victims, not that he was ever stupid enough to let anyone catch him. Until now.

He sighed and shrugged, flipping up the hood of his jacket so Yesung wouldn't be able to see his face easily. If he recognised him, Kyuhyun would have no choice but to kill him, strange attraction or not.

Yesung blinked owlishly up at the stranger, fingers clinging to the ground below him as though it could keep him safe. "N-not eating people is good," he said weakly, wondering if he hit his head hard enough, he'd wake up and find out this was all a dream. Most likely he'd just knock himself unconscious, which, while being very tempting, probably wasn't the best course of action.

"Yes, forgetting, forgot already," he squeaked, nodding his head so fast he would have make a bobblehead proud. When the strange man stepped aside, Yesung scrambled to his feet and darted past him as quick as he could in case the man changed his mind and decided Yesung would make a nice dessert. He just barely managed to stop before he crashed into the opposite wall, looking back at the stranger with wide eyes.

"Why them?" he blurted out, finding his voice long enough to utter the question. "Why them and not me?" After this, he'd let his common sense get what it desperately wanted and get the hell out of here. But he had to know why he hadn't been targeted like they had when he'd crashed right into the man, with no one around.

Stiffening at Yesung's words as he began to leave, Kyuhyun looked at him blankly. "What do you mean?" he asked softly, his eyes catching and holding Yesung's as he spoke. "Why whom?"

Things were going from bad to worse. Kyuhyun couldn't let Yesung go now that he'd realised it was Kyuhyun who'd killed the homeless addicts, after making certain there was nobody who would miss them. He knew, which was bad for Kyuhyun.

Reaching out for Yesung, Kyuhyun had to make him stay somehow. Quite what he was going to do with the young man, he didn't know, but he would have to think of something. He didn't kill people who still had life in them yet; he didn't want people who would be missed and thus catch the attention of the authorities, and it went against his principles (yes, he had them, he told himself) to kill people who didn't need or want to die.

It went without saying that he only took as much as he needed, no more. He was not like the others who fed wantonly on anyone they could get their hands on.

Maybe he should have just shut up and left. Why did he never know when enough was enough? He could have easily run away, never mind he didn't know where in the world he was. Swallowing, Yesung stared back at the stranger, unable to look away. He'd never been more terrified in his entire life and that said something, considering the situations he got himself in practically every day.

His traitor mouth continued even as his brain screamed to just shut up and run.

"Th-the two people back there...they looked homeless? Y-you, they're dead...I checked, and they're both dead."

With the reality of the situation crashing down on him, Yesung drew in a shaky breath. He was here, alone, in the company of a murderer, who now knew Yesung knew he was a murderer...could he be any more of an idiot to continue talking.

Seeing the stranger reach out for him, Yesung gave a muffled squeak again, backing up. His legs shook and that was probably the only thing stopping him from breaking out into a run...along with the other man's intense gaze holding his own.

"A-and I was just wondering why you didn't do the same thing to me before, except now you l-look like you're planning on it. Please don't kill me."

His eyes turning sad, Kyuhyun let his arm fall to his side as Yesung backed up, terrified of him. So he knew. Kyuhyun still couldn't let him leave, so he had to somehow make Yesung want to stay with him.

"You know what I am, don't you?" he asked softly, his voice barely above a whisper. "But I won't kill you. I promise you that."

As he spoke, Kyuhyun stepped closer to Yesung, backing him up into the wall behind him. "I don't kill randomly," he tried to explain, his voice still quiet. "I won't kill people who still have life in them. Who want to live. Only those who have given up and want to die."

"I need to live, too," he finished, having backed Yesung into the wall, standing in front of the young man. "Unless you want me to die....again?"

At the question, Yesung forced himself to think about how the two homeless people had been killed. He'd been avoiding asking himself that, but the question brought him to a few minutes ago when he'd seen the pinprick wounds in the old woman's neck. He knew what it was from, but some part of him had refused to admit it because vampires weren't supposed to exist, right?

Snapping back into the present, Yesung's eyes widened when he saw the stranger approaching, quickly backing up again. He wasn't watching where he was going though, his attention focused on the vampire. Vampire... Of course, not only did he have to follow a murderer, he had to follow a vampire on top of it. His bad luck curse had never been this hell-bent on killing him before.

Yesung drew in a sharp breath when he felt stone at his back. He'd backed himself into a wall. The student stared at the approaching vampire, trying to take in what the other man was saying past the 'ohmygodohmygodohmygod' playing in his head on constant repeat. Swallowing, he opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. He closed his mouth and tried again.

"I-I don't want you to die," he stammered. "I don't think anyone sh-should die, s-so it's a bit confusing, cause if you don't die then they die, and if they don't die then you die, and I don't really want to die either w-which should be taken into account, yes?" He had no idea what he was saying anymore.

"Will you just shut up?" Kyuhyun said wryly, closing the remaining distance between them and capturing Yesung's lips with his own.

He would just have to use the natural attraction vampires had and hope that worked, because he was out of options and running out of time. It was getting late and he had to get home before the sun came up. Being considerably weaker than a normal vampire, he wouldn't last in the sun at all like some of them could.

His hands on either side of Yesung's head and his palms flat on the stonework, Kyuhyun leaned in as he kissed Yesung, letting himself enjoy the rare treat of being this close to a human he was attracted to without killing them first. Having fed, Yesung was safe even without Kyuhyun's promise.

Once Kyuhyun let go of Yesung and stepped back, he gave a sad smile. "I told you, I'm not going to kill you. Why don't you believe me? You're still alive, aren't you?"

Whatever Yesung had been about to say was lost when the vampire leaned forward and kissed him, the human's eyes going wide enough to serve dinner on at the very sudden action. His hands came up to push the stranger away, because hello, this guy's a vampire and Yesung didn't know him and you didn't just kiss people at random, but his train of thought halted somewhere in the middle of the above. Even though this guy was technically dead (or undead) and his lips were cold, and Yesung was terrified of being eaten or bitten or something equally life-threatening, it felt nice.

More than just nice, actually.

When the kiss finally broke, Yesung blinked at the other man in a daze, frozen in the middle of a protest that hadn't even managed to fully form in his mind. It took a moment for his brain to restart, mouth opening and closing as he tried to figure out what had just happened. His face, which had been pale with fright not even ten seconds ago, was covered by a red flush that only seemed to grow as he finally realized what was going on.

"K-kiss?" was the first thing he managed to say, deep voice unnaturally high-pitched for a moment before he recovered slightly. "I-I mean, alive is good. Alive is very good, um, thank you?"

Kyuhyun's lips curled up in a slight smile. "You enjoyed that, did you?" he purred softly, leaning closer again to nuzzle at Yesung's neck. Kissing him gently and a little at his jumping pulse-point, Kyuhyun was finding it just as hard as Yesung was to think, the attraction growing stronger rather than fading like he'd half expected it to.

"I don't even know why I'm letting you live," Kyuhyun murmured, moving back to give himself time to clear his head. "I can't seem to stay away from you..." And it could end up costing him his life, but he was quickly thinking it would be worth it when the time came.

"Do you want me to kiss you again?" he asked, his voice returning to normal, or as normal as it could get when he was still within Yesung's personal space and inhaling the scent that was uniquely his. "You do have a choice, even if you don't believe so..."

Yesung opened his mouth to give a firm denial of having liked the infringement on his personal space (no matter how nice it had felt), but ended up giving a strained whine when the vampire nuzzled his neck and it. Oh god, that had to be all kinds of wrong and dangerous and why was Yesung letting a vampire on his throat? The human was feeling very weak-kneed, but not for the same reason as before.

When the vampire leaned back again, Yesung was sure he would have ended up on the ground if it hadn't been for the solid wall behind him.

"B-but we just met," he managed to get out, voice weaker than he would have liked if he'd been able to think straight. Everything was spinning around him and he hadn't the faintest clue what he was going to do.

At the question, Yesung stared at him. No, no I don't, you sick bastard, get away from me and let me go back to my dorm and deal with my naggy room-mate and forget you exist like you wanted me to do, screamed his mind.

"Y-yes?" was what came out of his mouth.

Traitor.

"Does that really matter?" Kyuhyun asked, stepping further back. "If you..." His mind conflicted, Kyuhyun didn't know what to do. He'd thought that once he kissed Yesung, it would make the attraction he'd been feeling lessen, but it had just made things worse. "If you really want this..."

And he meant that. He wasn't using the attraction most vampires had naturally - he wanted Yesung to want him for himself, not because of something that turned out to be more of a curse than his weakness was. Even if they'd only just met, he couldn't stop thinking of Yesung and it scared him, which was why he could understand Yesung's fear, though it did seem like more of Yesung's fear was to do with him being a vampire and not because he actually was afraid of any attraction.

For that matter, did Yesung even feel anything at all for him? If the attraction wasn't there for Yesung, then...Kyuhyun was going to have to somehow make Yesung forget about him. He'd promised not to kill him but he couldn't let him go, having seen what Kyuhyun was.

It just didn't make sense to Kyuhyun that he felt so much attraction to Yesung, if he didn't feel it in return. Properly, that was.

Yesung just stared for a long moment. His body protested as the vampire stepped further back, wanting that proximity even though the other man's body was cold as ice. He managed to stop himself from stepping forward though, common sense finally kicking in yet again and keeping him pressed firmly against the wall. Actually, common sense wanted him to get the hell out of there, but there was something else keeping him in place, his gaze locked with that of the vampire.

A strange whine left him again, mind scrambling to say something that was at least somewhat coherent.

"It does matter, c-cause we don't even know each other, and kinda got off on the wrong foot, and I don't even know your name!"

Was it so bad to actually want to know who he was kissing in some dark alley? Yesung wasn't one to jump into relationships blindly (if a relationship was what this was, it was a sick and twisted one, and he had absolutely no idea what he was going to do about it). And then there was the fact that this person was a guy, but that hardly seemed to register at the moment when compared to the fact he was a vampire and they just met and suddenly they were kissing? What?

He wanted another kiss. But he also wanted some sense of sanity in all this before his head could explode. How did he get from fearing for his life to kissing a nameless vampire?

"I just asked if you wanted me to kiss you again, not if you wanted a quick shag in some back-end out of the way alley, Yesung," Kyuhyun replied with a sigh. "I don't sleep with people I don't know. It was a kiss, nothing more demanding than that, believe it or not..."

This wasn't going well for him at all and Kyuhyun felt even more out of his depth than before. Most people would either have just kissed him back or pushed him away, but it seemed Yesung wasn't like most people.