Chapter 2

My Heart's Sonata

 

“Hey, Chicken! Watch out!”

 

Out of nowhere, a chicken mascot bumped straight to Shawn making the huge chicken mascot to loss its balance. The mascot fell directly to the ground. In less than a second, the chicken mascot stood up immediately and bowed to him as sign of sorry. Yet, Shawn just walked straight and acted like nothing happened. After the incident, he remembered something…

 

“Why you hate mascots so much?” John asked.

 

“They made me remember my mom, my mother who abandoned me. They just look good and happy outside but inside they’re not. Mascots use only their costumes to hide their ugliness.”

 

“Jade, what have you done again?!” Jade’s boss angrily asked her.

 

 “I’m sorry sir. It won’t happened again.” Jade apologized.

 

 “ You’ve said that yesterday! Can’t you do any good?” Jade’s boss replied.

 

“I’m sorry sir.” Jade sincerely repeated.

 

Tok, tok.

 

 “Come in.” Jade’s boss said while signalling Jade to leave.  

 

Jade is a 20 year old woman without any college degree and only earns money from different types of jobs that don’t require any diploma. She has a fair complexion with a long wavy black hair. She does not have any family after her dad and mom separated and just left her in the orphanage.  She’s a type of woman who does not care so much regarding her appearance. As long as she brushed her hair, bathe everyday and apply some small amount of face powder on her face, she’s all ready.

 

Jade went out from her boss’s office, carrying her mascots’ head piece. She walked and stopped for a while to check the time at the clock tower that was located at the center most part of the amusement park. It was nearly 8pm and she didn’t take her dinner yet. She again started to walk and decided to buy a cup of noodles for her to eat before she goes home until… 

“Jade, where are you going?” Jade stopped.

 

Her roommate, Bernadette, holding a small paper bag walked towards her.

 

“I thought. We’ll be having dinner together before we go home? Here, I brought something.” Bernadette showed the

small paper bag to Jade.

 

Bernadette and Jade looked for a place to eat and started to chat while they were eating.

 

“Wait, I bought you your favourite.” Bernadette handed over to Jade a large plastic cup that has the words Tea House imprinted on it.

 

“Well, I think that you really need this. Don’t worry. I know your taste. That’s Green tea with milk. If I remembered it right from last time.” Bernadette said.

 

“Thanks. Here, keep the change.” Jade handed a two hundred bill to Bernadette.

 “Shocks, you don’t need to pay me and please, will you stop acting like that? Not all the people in this world expect something in return. A simple thanks or thank you is already enough.” Bernadette said.

 

“Yes. I know, but,…” Jade answered.

 

“No more but, but. Just eat fast. I need to go back in my post by 5 minutes.” Bernadette interrupted.

 

Bernadette is Jade’s roommate and only friend due to Jade’s social problems and lack of confidence when she’s around people. Bernadette also works at the amusement park as a sales lady in a souvenir shop. Jade considers Bernadette as her only family.

 

Shawn woke up 8am the next day. He went straight to the shower. The water flows entirely to his well-sculpted body. After bathing, he went straight to his walking closet to look for some clothes to wear. The light from the morning sun that passes through his windows made his light and rosy complexion to bloom more.  Shawn does not usually wake up early in the morning. Unless, if he has a scheduled performance on that day. Without taking his breakfast yet, he went to his grand piano placed in his living room and played a few sonatas. He was practicing for his coming performance because he was invited to play at the first lady’s birthday party.

 

“God, where is everybody?!” Jade’s boss yelled.

 

 “Sir, I think you forgot. Today is Sunday. Day-off.” His secretary answered.

 

“We have a sudden engagement. They told me that they will triple the payment, if we send off atleast one mascot.” Jade’s boss insisted.

 

 “Call everybody!!” He yelled to his secretary.

 

“Ok sir.” The secretary answered.

 

“Gosh, truly, it’s so hard to make a living. If it’s not just for the double pay every Sunday, I won’t be here.” The secretary murmured while waiting for Jade to answer her phone.

 

“Hello, Jade. Will you please come to work for today? Thanks! We’ll wait for you!” without waiting for Jade’s answer the Secretary hung the phone.

 

 Jade immediately changed her clothes and wear a pair of jeans and a plain white v-neck shirt.

 

“Good afternoon sir. Is there something that I can do?” Jade asked his boss.

 

The boss didn’t expect for Jade’s arrival. He wanted somebody else to do the work due to Jade’s lack.

 

“Hey, why her?” the boss asked his secretary.

 

“I’m sorry. Sir, but she’s the only available employee. Sir.” The secretary answered.

 

“Ok. We have no choice. You, you’re going to a children’s party. Be the children’s chicken.” The boss told Jade as he points to her.

 

It was already 4 in the afternoon when Shawn decided to change in his suit. It will be a long drive on the way to the First Lady’s birthday venue for an average driver but due to Shawn’s driving and racing skills, it will just take him less than an hour to be there. On his way, he again played the collection of rhapsodies that he used to play yesterday.

 

In the party, many people especially the women guests stared at Shawn. Shawn was wearing an all black suit. His perfect posture totally captivates all the people who see him. In no time, his name was called by the host and asked him to play some Sonatas. At the middle of his performance, the huge door not from afar opened widely. The whole atmosphere quieted…