Chapter 13

My Heart's Sonata

 

“I told you! To stop doing such things!! If you don’t quit from racing… I’ll try to do everything for your team to give you up!... You’re the only one left in my life, son… So, please…” Shawn’s father told him.

 

“How many times do I have to tell you! Please… If you want to continue meeting women… will you at least control your feelings?... When your mom left us, it became so hard for me… “ his father told him.

 

In his dream, these scenes continue to flash back, everything that his father told him when he was rushed in their hospital every time his condition worsened. 

 

“His situation worsened… and it continues to worsen…” Dr. Job told Shawn’s dad on the phone.

 

Shawn’s father was currently in a business trip in the US.  

 

“Compared to the racing incident last time… I can say that this time, it’s fatal… A heart transplant is his only chance…” he added and hung the phone.

 

Jade was outside Dr. Job’s office. She heard the whole conversation. Tears started to fall from her eyes… She wiped it and entered Dr. Job’s office.

 

“Please, sit down. “ Dr. Job told Jade.

 

“Are you Shawn’s friend?” Dr. Job asked.

 

“Y--- Yes…” Jade replied.

 

“I guess that you’re the first one to know regarding his condition…” He informed.

 

“W --- will… he still… live?” she asked and tears started to fall from her eyes again.

 

“At this time, a heart transplant is the only hope that will save his life… the best thing to do now is to wait for the best donor.” He said.

 

“How…long… do we need to wait?” she asked.

 

“Well, we already contacted all the hospitals and heart centers in the country. His dad also tried to get some help in the US… ” He replied.

 

“Ah--- It sounds that everybody is in a hurry…” She said.

“Yes, exactly. He might die if we can’t find the best donor for the next 72-hours… but, I guess we’ll be able to find it before the worst thing happens. Don’t worry…” He informed.

 

Jade left Dr. Job’s office and went outside the ICU to check Shawn who was still unconscious. No one was allowed to come inside the ICU except for the nurses and the doctors due to Shawn’s ailing condition. The ICU was enclosed in glasses for easy viewing.

 

“Ah… I’m sorry… I’m sorry… Sorry…” Jade cried out…

 

It was a cold midnight. The night breeze blew calmly on the silent streets of the city that took its rest after the busy day. The sky was totally dark. Dark clouds hid the bright moon and only few stars tried to brighten the night. A woman wearing a white plain shirt, jeans and snickers, her hair was long and wavy with a shiny star hair clip clipped on was slowly crossing the quiet street of Washington. The red light started to blink. She was still on the middle part of the road. The first drop of rain dropped on her left cheek. She stopped and closed her eyes… The first rain of the rainy season started to fall down…

 

It was the third day after the surgery, the warm rays of the morning sun hit Shawn’s face. He opened his eyes and saw his dad.

 

“Thank, God. You’re awake! I’ll just call Dr. Job.” His dad said.

 

He followed his dad a gaze until he left his room. He looked all over his room and found a pink box on the table next to him. He grabbed it and read:’To its owner, S.S.Lim’. He opened it and saw a chicken head piece. He touched it and removed it from the box. After he removed it, he saw two tickets. The first one says:’ Romeo and Juliet ICC Center Stage at 5pm’. The other one is a restaurant reservation. On the side of the two tickets was a CD in a clear case saying: ‘There You’ll Be in Piano by Mr. S.S.Lim’. He also saw a black small box. He opened it and saw a Silver Star hair clip that has pieces of small white diamonds around it. A tear dropped from his eyes…. On the side most part of the pink box, a short transparent bottle with a rolled white paper inside together with popped paper stars was the last item that he checked. He opened it and flipped the bottle to get the white paper rolled inside it. The rolled paper and two pink stars came out. He grabbed the paper and unrolled it. It was a letter, a hand-written letter… Tears started to fall from his eyes as he read the content of the letter:

 

Shawn/Stephen,

                Hi. How are you? I hope that you’re fine nowJ As you read this, Maybe, you can feel me inside you. You might feel what I’m feeling now… ‘A simple thanks will be enough. ‘ That’s what you always say.  Okay, your wish is my commandJ Thank you for making me feel so special. Thank you for lending me your shoulder to sleep on. Thank you for the warm hugs that ended my longing of my mom. A million thanks for everything. I love you and I will forever miss you.

Your Unique girl,

Jade

 

PS: If you wanna feel me, Just place your hand on your chest… My heart will pound for you.