The Reason

No way, Right?

How long had he been standing there? A couple of minutes? It seemed like hours to Kai. The scene that just happened kept playing over and over again and Kris' words affected him somehow. Starting to make the same mistake as him? What exactly was the mistake he made? The thoughts made Kai's headache grow even more painful and he leaned on the lockers to wait for it to settle. Kai sighed, it's not like he wanted to avoid Moonhye... It was just that he felt betrayed by Moonhye. He was supposed to be Moonhye's boyfriend so he felt like he should know everything about her. No. He wanted to know everything about her.

At that day, he thought he knew her. He thought he was finally the one that knew everything about her, and it was all suddenly crushed in a matter of seconds. He just didn't know how to face Moonhye anymore. What was he suppose to say? How was he suppose to act in front of her now? 

 

Kai sighed and rested his head on the cold, metallic lockers and rested his eyes for a while. When he opened them he saw Moonhye kicking a pebble on the ground through the windows. He smiled at the cute being in front of her. He never actually knew why he loved Moonhye. Yes, love. At first, he knew he liked her but as time goes by, he grew to love her, even if he felt betrayed, he still loved her. He loved everything about her; her beautiful face, her one-of-a-kind personality, her amazing cooking... Everything. Although, he never knew the exact reason why he loved her. Maybe it was just because if you truly love someone, you have no idea why you love them. You just love them, there doesn't have to be a reason and that's what Kai felt. He loved Moonhye that he can't describe why he loved her.

 

When Kai got home, Mrs. Kim was surprised to see Kai go straight to his bedroom. Kai would usually go eat or watch the television before going to his bedroom so Mrs. Kim was surely surprised. What surprised her even more was that Kai had an exhausted face on and it wasn't just physically too. Mrs. Kim knew it was emotionally as well. She might have not always been by Kai's side but she was his mother and she knew everything about him.

Mrs. Kim followed Kai upstairs and she peeked inside his bedroom, finding Kai's head dug underneath his pillow. Mrs. Kim furrowed her eyebrows, anxious to why Kai was acting all lifeless.

"Jongin?" Mrs. Kim whispered.

She walked towards Kai's bed and sat at the edge of it. She patted the boy's back lightly, "Jongin. Are you okay dear?"

Kai gave no response. Mrs. Kim sighed, "Aigoo Jongin-ah. Don't try to hide something from you're mother because I know you're awake and I know you're upset. So just tell me about it."

Kai finally sat up and and he entered his mother's warm and loving embrace. "Umma~" Kai whined.

"Stop acting like a baby." She slapped Kai's arm, "It's okay to be hugged by you're mother at this age. Now tell me what's the problem."

Kai sighed, he couldn't keep anything from his mother, "Mo-" Kai halted himself. He didn't want his parents finding out that him and Moonhye's relationship was having troubles because he knew that they would surely try to fix it and Kai didn't want his parent to be involved. "My friend... He... Betrayed me..." Kai muttered but Mrs. Kim was still able to hear what Kai had said.

"What did your friend do?" Mrs. Kim asked while scouting more closer to Kai.

"She-" Kai halted then coughed, "He was supposed to be my best friend and I thought he was the one I could trust the most..." Kai sighed.

"Go on." Mrs. Kim smiled.

"He told me... He had asthma."

"And?" Mrs. Kim raised her right eyebrow.

"What do you mean 'and'? He betrayed me, he never told me about his asthma and he was supposed to be my best friend and he should tell me everything!" Kai argued.

Mrs. Kim sighed while shaking her head slowly, "Kai did you even hear you're friend's explanation? Did you even hear why he didn't tell you?"

Kai flinched. No, he didn't. He never got to hear Moonhye's reason to why she has asthma. He never got to stay to hear. Anger along with jealousy took over him that he didn't let Moonhye say why she never told. Kai remained silent, suddenly feeling guilty.

"I take that as a 'no' then." Mrs. Kim smiled at the quiet boy in front of her. Kai may be smart but he always thinks ahead of himself. He does things without even thinking about it, he does things only thinking for himself and not others. "I'll leave you alone then." Mrs. Kim smiled and patted Kai's shoulder before heading out the room.

Kai slumped on his bed with his right arm on his forehead, thinking, pondering and thinking even more. He hated that about himself. He knows he's selfish, he knows he only thinks for himself and he hated it. Just thinking about how he never got to think of Moonhye's situation, how he never thought of Moonhye's feelings, it crushed him. He saw those precious tears of hers, he saw them pouring out of her reddened eyes. Kai let out a mad shout. He's frustrated. He doesn't know what to do.

 

The next morning Kai woke up late, extremely late actually. He didn't even have breakfast, that's how much he was late. The gates were already closed when he got there so he had no choice but to climb up the wall. It felt dé jà vu. The last time he jumped over this wall was  when he was still a freshman- no. He jumped over this wall with Moonhye when they were late. Kai giggled at the memory, he couldn't believe how much he didn't like Moonhye back then. He shook his head before perfectly landing on the ground.

Kai didn't even catch his breath back yet when he rushed to his classroom. He felt as if he needed to see Moonhye right away, he needed and wanted to see her face, he just needed to; he absolutely have no idea why but it was if just seeing Moonhye's face he could finally feel relieved.

He reached class, breathless. He scanned the room for Moonhye, ignoring all the stares everyone was giving him.

"Kim JongIn-shi." Ms. BoA coughed, tapping her desk with her pen impatiently.

Kai ignored her and asked, "Where's Moonhye?"

"Kai. Sit. Down." Ms. BoA gave him an intense look.

"Where's Moonhye?" Kai asked again.

"She went to do a chore. Now if you don't sit down, you will be spending detention here after school. Do you want that?" Ms. BoA's voice was sounding more impatient.

Kai sighed as he made his way to his designated seat where he found no presence of Kris. He was kind of relieved since he was still in utter shock of what happened yesterday. Who would have thought that the calm Kris would get so violent and plain scary? He saw that look in Kris' eyes and he wasn't joking one bit. 

Moonhye didn't come in at home room and Kai didn't have any lesson at all with Moonhye since it was a Thursday. The only time he saw Moonhye was during lunch, he saw her with her group of friends and he wasn't yet ready to talk to Moonhye. Don't get Kai wrong, he desperately wanted to ask Moonhye loads and loads of questions but he needed to ask at the right time; when they're alone.

At dance club, there wasn't much dancing; there wasn't and dancing at all. It was only a simple meeting to talk about the upcoming contest. Everyone was more than fine with only having a simple meeting, they had been practicing all the routines everyday and they were exhausted. Some had pain in their thighs, some sprained their ankle, some pulled a muscle. Overall, the club sighed in relief knowing that there won't be any dancing,

Kai sat there at the back of the room along with Taemin and Sehun, listening to what Yunho had to say. Taemin and Sehun were listening but Kai was in midst of his thoughts. He stared at the back of Moonhye's head, he was just staring at it. It had been a long time since he actually stared at her for so long. Her beautiful features, he missed them. Kai missed admiring at Moonhye's radiant features. Facial features, body features, everything.

Yunho ended their meeting with a clap and a nod. He closed his notebook and stuffed it in his bag while everyone started standing up. Kai was still sitting down, having no plans to get up and move.

He saw Moonhye already gone whilst he was in the midst of his thoughts. He sighed once again then made his way towards the school gate. He took the usual route when he wasn't going out with Moonhye yet. Whenever him and Moonhye walks home together, they would always walk the long way round and that was towards the busy streets of Seoul. When they don't walk home together, Kai would take the route towards the park. The place where he showed Moonhye his love. That sweet moment they had together was surely memorable.

Kai strolled along the main path of the park and found the swing move between the trees. He furrowed his eyebrows before taking a closer look. Moonhye. She was talking to something and Kai took a step closer to see what she was talking to. A dog. Cute. Kai thought.

 He didn't know why, but Kai didn't want to disturb her. He hid behind a tree covered with some bushes so he was fully covered.

"Are you lost?' Moonhye asked the puppy. It wasn't a big dog, so she reckoned that it was only a couple of months old.

The dog whimpered and rubbed its head to Moonhye's leg.

Moonhye patted the puppy's head lightly, "It's okay. I'll stay here with you."

The puppy started hopping and Moonhye giggled at how cute it was. She picked the puppy up and placed it on her lap. She felt vibration and checked her phone to see a message from her mother that Moonhye will be alone that evening. Moonhye sighed and buried the phone in her pocket as the puppy got comfortable on Moonhye's lap.

"Hey." Moonhye said. "Is it okay if I tell you something? It's okay right? You don't even understand what I'm saying so I'm sure it's fine."

Kai giggled in his mind at the childish Moonhye but his giggle soon disappeared by the sound of his name.

"I have a boyfriend. He's called Kai." Moonhye started. "He and I..." Moonhye sighed, "We had a fight."

"He found out about my asthma. It wasn't his fault though, I should have told him earlier but I was just... Scared." Moonhye's tears were threatening to fall.

"You see... I have been hiding about my asthma since..." Moonhye thought for a while, "I think it was elementary school. The doctor said I developed asthma but he said it wasn't that bad, but he gave me an inhaler anyway."

"My asthma stopped when I entered middle school but it didn't stop for long." Moonhye looked down at her hands which fiddled the puppy's ears, "I entered dance club because my friend wanted me to join with her so I did. At first I thought it will only be fun." Moonhye laughed, "God, was I wrong."

"It was fun but it was something else. It let me express my feelings, I never got to do that. You know, express my feelings, maybe that was why I like dancing so much."

"But the problem was, I liked it too much." A tear finally dropped out of Moonhye's eyes. "I kept on dancing and dancing and I really enjoyed it but then I had an asthma attack." Moonhye stopped the puppy's head which made it face Moonhye. 

"I was rushed to the hospital by this guy. He's a doctor now. He was my doctor ever since he rushed me to the hospital. I was lucky wasn't I? If it weren't for him, I could've died... He told me that I should stop dancing for a while but I didn't. How could I? I loved it too much."

"Time went by and my asthma grew worse and worse. The doctor told me that I should stop dancing by the end of the year or else I could put my life in danger. That time I was actually going to do what I was told. I would stop dancing but he changed my mind."

"I moved here and I met Kai, my boyfriend. I saw him dance and I was amazed, I danced with him and I was even more amazed. I forgot that I had to stop dancing. I forgot because he made me forget about the bad things in my life, maybe that was why I love him." Moonhye smiled at the sky, oblivious that Kai was hearing everything.

"Anyway, I knew if I told him I had asthma, he would tell me to stop dancing. I didn't want to. I wanted to dance, I wanted to dance with him. I don't know why but I like dancing with him, I feel so alive and free. He's an amazing dancer you know, I can totally see that he love dancing." Moonhye giggled but then tears threatened to fall again.

"He knows. He heard I had asthma and I'm scared." Tears gushed out of Moonhye's eyes even if she tried her hardest to stop them, "I'm scared that if he knew, he will tell me to stop dancing. I didn't want that. I love dancing with him. It's our special connection."

"But now that he knows..." Moonhye wiped the tears that fell on her delicate face, "We're drifting apart and I don't know what to do..."