Cookie

Cookie

 

This decision is the hardest I’ve ever encountered in my 24 years of life. As a grown adult, I should be able to decide with a snap of my fingers. But I can’t. I can’t decide whether I should have my double chocolate chip cookie with milk or coffee.

I remember the last time this happened, I found a coin and flipped it. But then, another problem surfaced. I couldn’t decide which side of the coin would be milk! After a little debate with myself, I called my best friend Jessica. I knew she was at work but I really wanted to eat my cookie. I dialed her number and waited on my high chair in my kitchen, staring at a pack of instant coffee and a jar of milk beside my cookie.

“Hello? I’m at work, tell me what’s wrong right now!” I could hear her whisper to the other workers to warn her if her boss was coming.

“Help me decide. Milk or coffee?” I questioned her directly.

“Coffee.” Jess answered without thinking.

“Thanks!” Glad that she was able to solve my problem, I hung up right away.

But this time, I want to solve it myself, to show that I have grown up from the past. I pondered on my special chair while swinging my legs back and forth as if I was on a swing at a playground.

Milk is good because it will help me grow taller. I straightened my back and put my hand over my head where my ideal height would be. If only, I could be a couple inches taller. But then, I’m over the age of growing already. I put my hand down, sulked back into my seat, and pouted while thinking of my short height.

Coffee is good because it’s warm and Jess said it’s a grown-up drink but it tasted so bitter. My tongue automatically stuck out at the thought of that taste.

I didn’t know what to do. I shook my head in frustration and picked up my phone to call Jess.

“Jess!” I yelled excitedly when she picked up with a grin.

A short silence followed as if Jess knew something is wrong.

“I don’t know what to drink again.” I wined cutely over the phone with my lower lip sticking out.

“Cookie?” Jess asked a little too calmly in my opinion. Cookie is very important to me.

“Yes.” Then I heard a silent curse and Jess asking her boss I she could be excused for the day due to an emergency. I smiled, happy to know that I am an emergency to her. After an approval, Jess’s back on the phone again.

“I’m coming over RIGHT NOW!” I heard her slam shut her car door and start the car. “Did you forget your medicine again?”

“I lost it yesterday when I was at your house.” I knew I should have told her before but I didn’t want to bother her while she was working.

I heard a sigh. “I’ll be there in 10 minutes. Stay there and don’t go anywhere.” She was very serious while I’m just glad that I’m going to see my best friend again.

“Ok~” I will follow everything Jess said because jess’s always right.

I put the phone down on the counter and tucked my hands under my thighs and started swinging my legs again. I looked around the silent house except of the low hum of the refrigerator as I got bored. I saw the big, soft, white couch and the flat screen TV in my living room to the right of where I am sitting now. And just when I prepared to jump off the chair, like a ghost’s voice, Jess’ instruction right before she hung up rang in my head. “Don’t go anywhere.” I turned my head away from the tempting living room and looked down at my double chocolate chip cookie on my white plate. I focused on distracting myself with the beautiful lines and the delicious curves of the cookie.

Finally I heard the unlocking of the door and the turn of the door knob.

“Jess!” I screamed and ran into her embrace as soon as I saw her face through the crack of the door opening.

“Hey.” She giggled while I squeezed her as hard as I could with my arms around her slim waist. “I brought your medicine.” And with a smile I love to see, she gave me the bottle with difficulty as I was still hugging her.

I grabbed the bottle and took a small white pill into my smaller than average palm. I hated the taste, it’s worse than coffee, but I knew I had to take it.

“For my best friend Jessica!” I stretched my hand with the medication above me and glanced at jess’ amused face, and then I opened my mouth and let that nasty taste fill my mouth as it is broken down by my saliva. I showed a disgusted face and rushed to get a glass of water. I shook my head a couple times as if it would shake the after taste out of my mouth with my eyes closed. Both Jess and I waited a few minutes to let the drug fill my body.

After I felt like I am back to myself again, I walked back to Sica.

“Thanks Sica.” I smiled without showing my teeth.

“No problem. But since I had to leave work early because of you again, I’ll enjoy my time here trashing your place.” Sica had a smirk on her beautiful, flawless face as she sluggishly grabbed a bag of potato chip from my stash of junk food and dropped herself onto my big, fluffy, and clean couch.

“Oh, and don’t forget to eat your cookie!” She reminded me as she my TV.

“I’ll just leave it for my kiddy-self next time.” I mumbled just as Sica started lecturing me again about not taking my medication regularly while watching her favourite cartoon.