Mutual

Mutual

 

The beams of the summer sun drifted off on her face; making her features glow like an angel’s basking on the warm sand of the beach. Her eyes fluttered simultaneously and she forced herself to sit on the edge of her bed. Small beads of sweat gathered around her temples and at the nape of her neck.

 

 

Wiping off the sweat and cursing loudly, she dashed to the shower and got ready for her part-time job at the café owned by her friend Victoria. She liked it there not just because of the money but because it was a simple café. It was just a plain, old coffee shop with the ambiance of mid-20th century and the aroma of old books floating around. She would just stand by the cash registrar and take orders of the few customers that comically entered their shop.

 

 

“One Americano, please.” A voice ordered. His voice was light; all the words that could describe the feeling of sitting at the comforts of home while reading a book. She looked at him with curious hazel eyes and absorbed his features. The boy smiled at her with a fleeting kindness that struck her heart. The locks of his brown hair were gusted by their air conditioning system while he stared back at her. Then, furrowing his eyebrows, he spoke with much concern, “Are you alright, uh, Krystal?”

 

 

“Yes, I am. I’m sorry. Wait, how did you know my name?”

 

 

“Your name plate.”

 

 

“Oh, y-yes. What’s your order again, Sir?” she stammered. The boy repeated his order before she punched in the numbers and symbols at the machine. She gave her a card and waited for the next customer. The young man came to sit at the nearest table to the window and began to listen to quiet music.

 

 

The following days went on without the boy leaving her head. She always remembered his bright smile, soothing voice and striking features. She always smiled at the thought as her imagination brought her to surreal reverie. Everyday, she waited for the boy to come in again in their shop to order his Americano. He never did.

 

 

---

 

 

The distant sound of her name hit her ears and pulled her out of her trance. She was reading a book at the middle of the park on her day-off. Victoria was kind enough to give her a day-off even though the salary she was giving Krystal was miles above minimum.

 

 

Her eyes scanned the almost-emptied park; skipping the unfamiliar faces of people strolling around. She finally saw one familiar face — that one face that she memorized. He waved at her with a dazzling smile and ran to her. He enclosed her with a tight hug and planted a soft kiss on her forehead.

 

 

“Kai,” she breathed and beamed back at him. “I thought you’ll meet me later.”

 

 

“I can’t wait to see my girl, you know that. I missed you already.” he replied and nuzzled her neck.

 

 

“Oh, God, Kai. We just met last night.”

 

 

“Of course, I can’t bear not to meet you every day. If I could just stay with you every minute of forever, I would. Apparently, nobody lives forever so that means, I’ll stay with you as long as I lived.”

 

 

Krystal flushed and looked away. She couldn’t think of anything to say to him. He was being the mushy guy he was. Kai suggested going to the freestyle dance competition near the underground tunnel at the subway that she immediately agreed to. She didn’t have anything to do and besides, what harm can watching a dance contest do?

 

 

They walked their way together towards the subway. Hands swayed and legs hopped as they trudged onward to their destination. Kai gracefully danced around her as the jingle of Kystal’s laughter filled the humid air. The former raised his hand and made the latter twirl around.

 

 

A crowd gathered at the side of the tunnel. Loud cheers and frustrated shouts made the atmosphere lively and exciting. Fast rhythm of the jazz music matched the beating of their hearts while they squeezed through the large number of screaming and clapping people.

 

 

“And for the next contestant, a newbie! Let’s see what you’ve got, Lee Taemin!” the host said with much excitement.

 

 

A tall figure began to walk down the center in a confident manner, like a model making his way down the catwalk. His frame wasn’t built for a dancer, Krystal noted and narrowed her eyes to see through the hood of the man’s jacket. She recognized the brown locks and the docile hazel eyes. The boy started to dance on the middle; closing his world once again as he felt the energy eating his whole mind and being. Then, without warning, he looked directly at her eyes. For a fleeting moment, they seemed to exchange a private message that only the two of them could understand. He flashed a smile at her before he spun for lengthy seconds and bowed.

 

 

Krystal couldn’t even fathom what she felt — the happiness, the shock and the unwavering attraction that caught her off guard. She shouldn’t be feeling any of this. She should be in her boyfriend’s arms while watching the show. She shrugged off from Kai’s grasp, murmuring something about breathing fresh air above. She silently walked through the sad, empty sidewalk; loud buzz of people talking and laughing became suddenly soft to her ears.

 

 

“Krystal,” a familiar low voice greeted her. “I knew that we’d meet again.”

 

 

“Lee Taemin,” she greeted back, testing the name on her tongue. She smiled at him and waved a hand at him. Taemin walked towards her, unwavering amusement gleaming in his brown eyes. He grabbed her hand and kissed her knuckles. She flushed and blinked as she thought how to react. Kai will not like this, she thought to herself.

 

 

“Do you still work at the café? I’d visit you one time.”

 

 


“Visit? But you didn’t even come back the-” she muttered before she could even stop herself. She clamped her free hand to and cursed silently. “I mean, why would you pay me a visit?”

 

 

“As you see, Ms. Jung, I really like you. You’re with Kai, right? The four-time champion at the Dance Craze competition.”

 

 

“Yes,”

 

 

“I love adventures.” he snickered and planted a kiss on her forehead and hopped towards the concrete barrier on the street.

 

 

--

 

 

Days of secret meetings and nights of stolen kisses slipped away through their tangled hands and bodies. Mutual feelings started to cave in as they sneaked off in Taemin’s apartment during weekends. It went on and on for months. And Kai, never the wiser, continued to love Krystal unrequitedly.

 

 

Taemin trudged onward without any sense of direction. He found himself staring at the glass doors of the coffee shop – his favorite coffee shop. An idea seeped into his awfully brilliant mind and he slid inside. The familiar aroma of brewing coffee and old parchments slapped his nose gladly. Krystal stood at the counter, wearing her long hair in a tight bun. Her head snapped up at the chimes of the bell – the sound of a new customer looking for a place to have some hot chocolate and cold blueberry cheesecakes.

 

“Hi,” he beamed at her, flashing his mega-watt smile. He moved forward towards the counter and leaned in for a kiss. He kissed her squarely on the lips rather chastely and pulled away. “I’d like an Americano with Krystal on top.” he said playfully and gave a coy smile.

 

 

“Oh, please, Taemin. Not here.” she replied with a hushed voice and blushed.

 

 

“I love that shade of red on your cheeks. Makes me remember the red on my bed sheet.”

 

 

“Lee Taemin, shut up!”

 

 

“What? I just want you here on the counter top.”

 

 

He walked past the counter and dragged Krystal beside the coffee maker. He made her sit on the table; plastic mugs and synthetic stirrers clattered to the floor. He kissed her torridly, giving a smile as he earned an appreciative moan from the other.

 

 

Shards of broken glass waded past their feet and an earsplitting smash stopped them mid-way. Krystal jerked her head to the direction of the intruder and she found Kai with his mouth open at the counter. A wave of sadness flashed in his eyes but immediately replaced by anger.

 

 

“Kai,” she whispered with wide eyes. She looked at Taemin and all she saw was a cold seething feeling that she never noticed before.

 

 

“Kim Jongin, what a pleasant surprise.” he sneered at him and smirked. “I’ve been waiting all this time for you to realize that you’re girl friend is cheating on you! Oh, for Pete’s sake, you didn’t even know it. Krystal is just so awesome at bed if you want to know. By the way, did you know that I’m the one who first ed her? You lose, Jongin. You ing lose!”

 

 

“What are you talking about, Taemin? Shut up!”

 

 

“Since when, Krystal?” he managed to ask her, his knuckles clenched to prevent himself from shaking. His stare was frightening and for the first time, she didn’t even want to meet his gaze. “Since ing when, Krystal Jung?!”

 

 

“Kai, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

 

 

“Oh, no, you’re not, baby. You loved it, right? Your steamy nights with me, cheating on your boy friend.” Taemin scoffed and chuckled. Kai quickly lunged and punched him on the face. His nose dribbled some blood and he hastily wiped it off. “I’m out of here, Jongin. Glad to make amends with you after making my brother’s life miserable.”

 

 

He his heel and out of the shop.

 

 

--

 

 

“I’m really sorry, Kai. Talk to me, please.”

 

 

Guilt and shame were eating up her being. She was being ignored for days and she felt horrible. She was blinded by lust and beautiful words. She was outside Kai’s apartment as she banged on the door for the umpteenth time. She was crying and she was helpless. She didn’t know what to do after what happened. Kai walked out on her the last time they met.

 

 

“Please, Kai. I’m so sorry. I didn’t know what happened to me either. I’m sorry. Please.”

 

 

“What are you doing here?” a voice asked her and she whirled her head. Kai stood behind her, holding a black plastic of milk cartons and cookie packs. His eyebrows were furrowed and his lips were twitched into a grim, hard line.

 

 

“I’m here to say sorry. Please, you never answered my calls and never let me explain after that day. I’m really sorry. I didn’t mean to cheat on you. It was- Please. I don’t even know what happened to me. I’m sorry. I still love you, Kai. Please. I didn’t mean to do those horrible things.”

 

 

“I don’t want to hear any of those.”

 

 

Kai moved past her and their shoulders touched for a brief second; creating an electric force that bonded them together. He looked at her and dropped his things. He pulled her towards him and enclosed her into a tight hug.

 

 

“I’m sorry, Kai. You know that I love you, right? I need you. I’m really sorry.”

 

 

“Don’t talk. I’m sorry, too, for not listening to your explanation.”

 

 

He planted a kiss on the tip of her nose and tears. He wrapped his arms around her to his home with happiness seeming to explode in his heart. Leading her towards his bed, they muttered whispered words of intimacy and put into action for the first time.

 

 

The tiny bubble of understanding and trust began to expand once more for the both of them for the factors of successful relationship is faith and empathy towards each other.