Suprises. Worries. Tears. and Love.

Arranged Marriage? ... What to do?

[Friday Evening – Incheon Airport]

Stepping out of the airport, Taeyeon smiled at the sight of her home country. Ahh! Korea! It’s good to be back. Being away for two years, she missed everything about this place, her family, her friends and the country itself. Granted she had come home once in awhile but  this time she was back and here to stay.

Flagging a taxi, she hopped in, ready to surprise everyone unannounced. No one knew she was back yet; not even her family. Her family knew via email that she’d be back in a few weeks, but because of her parents’ anniversary and her paperwork being done early, she booked the next plane out of Japan to Korea.

Realizing that it was her parents’ anniversary and that she was empty-handed, Taeyeon decided she couldn’t go home just yet. ‘Ahjussi, can we stop by the flower shop on the way home. I need to make a quick purchase.’

---

Holding a bouquet of flowers and cake, a last minute decision because what’s a celebration without cake, Taeyeon stopped the taxi a few houses away from her own. Stepping out, she was greeted by a young man walking past her holding a still warm apple pie.

Gasp, ‘Taeyeon noona?  Is that really you?!’ the boy said as Taeyeon turned to face the familiar voice.

‘KYUNGSOO!’

‘NOONA!’ Kyungsoo exclaimed as he saw his favourite noona standing before his eyes. Kyungsoo was one of the kids in the neighbourhood that she used to babysit all the time. It didn’t help either that he was best friends with her brothers, all of them loud when put together. Ah, everyone’s all grown up now.

---

‘I thought you weren’t supposed to be back until next week.’ Kyungsoo stated as they walked to the Kim residence. Kyungsoo had kindly offered to help Taeyeon with her luggage.

‘Yeah, but I wanted to surprise them. It’s my parents anniversary you know, and I want it to be special.’ Taeyeon replied with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

Kyungsoo laughed, ‘Yes noona, of course I know. Why else to do think I’m holding this pie. I don’t bake for just anyone you know.’

---

DING DONG! Taeyeon watched from the corner as Kyungsoo rung the doorbell. To help execute her plan, Taeyeon decided to hide and let the boy ring the doorbell instead. Her parents opened the door and greeted Kyungsoo with warm smiles, the only thing off about the scene was the way her parents were dressed, formal attire? I swear they wanted to spend the day at home.

Seeing as her father was about to close the door, Taeyeon quickly ran out and stopped it with her foot. Pulling back the door to see what obstruction was preventing the door from closing, Mr.Kim was greeted with the smiling face of his eldest daughter.

Just as she was about to speak -BAM- The door shut in her face. Her smile fell, clearly unimpressed. Three, Two, One. As she expected, the door opened up again and her mother’s head popped out in surprise.

‘T-Taeyeon-ah. Is that really you?’ she asked as tears pooled in her eyes, not believing the sight in front of her.

‘Neh Umma. It’s m—OUCH!’ Taeyeon yelled in pain as her mother pinched both her cheeks.

‘AHHHH!! My baby’s home!’ And with that her father reappeared and her brothers ran out to hear what all the commotion was about with a laughing Kyungsoo in tow.

‘Yeonie!’

‘Noona!’ ‘Noona!’

‘Daddy! Jongin! Jongdae! Annyeong!’ Taeyeon smiled as their little family reunion took place. Home sweet home.

---

‘Is this your daughter Mr. and Mrs.Kim.’ Taeyeon was startled by the new voices that rung in the air. Looking at the other pair of people in the room, Taeyeon quickly recomposed herself and politely bowed to the couple, ‘Neh, Annyeonghaseyo, Kim Taeyeon imnida.’

‘What a beautiful daughter you have, so polite too. We’ll I believe it’s time for us to go seeing as she might want to get settled in.’ the lady suggested.

Her husband nodded in agreement, ‘Yes, that sounds good. Since she’s here now and our son will be back tomorrow evening, we can announce the arrangement at tomorrow night’s celebration.’ And with that, the couple left the house, and a confused Taeyeon.

---

‘WHAT? I’m getting married?!’ Taeyeon exclaimed as her parents explained to her the situation. The other couple was Mr. and Mrs. Kim of KJM Industries, a company that has had a close relationship with her family’s company since they started up. This was Taeyeon’s first meeting with the Kims in person, so telling her that she’d be getting married with their son was too much to handle.

‘But mom! I can’t do that!’ She wasn’t lying. Another reason why she was so happy to be back was to introduce her boyfriend to the family. She had met him during her studies in Japan and he was scheduled to be flying in in a couple of days.

‘I’m sorry Taeyeon, I can’t let you back out of this one. Beside’s you’ve met Joonmyun before. He’s a nice boy, you played with him at the charity event when you were kids.’

‘Mom! That’s when we were kids. I played with everyone else that day too and I don’t even remember half of them.’ Taeyeon sighed as she sank deeper into the couch.

‘Don’t worry noona! I’m sure you’ll be fine. It’s not like you have anyone else waiting for you.’ Taeyeon’s brother Jongdae smiled.

‘Yeah noona. It’s easier this way. And besides, we like hyung.’ Jongin exclaimed. Great, Taeyeon thought, if the troublemakers are on board than there’s no way out of this.

---

[Saturday Afternoon – Kim Residences]

Taeyeon awoke to the sounds of footsteps running all over the mansion. Either the boys were making huge messes for the maid to clean or it’s that late and everyone is in a hurry to get ready. Grabbing her phone off the bed side table, Taeyeon unlocked the screen to reveal her background. A picture of her and her boyfriend, Suho, enjoying the night life of Japan. Oppa, I’m sorry that this had to happen. But I’ll make this work.

Getting out of bed, Taeyeon headed towards her bathroom to freshen up before heading down to eat. When she came back out of the bathroom, she ran into her mother laying out a beautiful midnight blue dress on her bed.

‘Oh, good afternoon honey. You looked so peaceful sleeping and I figured it was jet lag so I didn’t wake you up.’

‘It’s okay mom. I appreciate it.’ Taeyeon smiled as she made her way out of the room.

‘Honey, before I go here’s your dress for tonight. I know it may not be ideal for you, the whole idea of an arranged marriage. But you’ll grow to love him. Joonmyun really likes you and I hope you’d give him a chance.’

Taeyeon let out a mumbled ‘mhmm, I’ll try,’ before leaving the room. Like he even knows me.

---

That night, the banquet hall was filled with many business people and their families out enjoying the celebration. Familiar faces and new faces greeted Taeyeon as she walked around the room.

‘Taengoo!’ Surprised by the sudden call Taeyeon turned around excitedly, she can’t forget that dolphin scream for the life of her.

‘Sica-yah!’ Taeyeon ran and embraced her long time best friend. ‘How are you? It’s been awhile.’

‘I know right. The last time I visited was two years ago. You never come see me anymore!’ she pouted.

‘Well if you’d stop going on your fashion trips everytime I’m in town then maybe you’d see me more.’ Taeyeon fought back. Smirking when the ice princess had nothing left to say, just more pouting.

Suddenly a tall man, and Taeyeon means GIANT tall, walks up and slides his arm around Jessica’s waist. ‘Sica, here’s your drink.’ He says, offering the glass of punch to the princess herself.

‘Thanks Kris,’ noticing her best friends confused expression, Jessica introduced her husband to Taeyeon. Sending him away to grab her some napkins, Taeyeon found the perfect time to interrogate.

‘When? Where? Why? How? And I didn’t know about this because?’

‘Arranged marriage.’ Jessica said, seeing the look in Taeyeon’s eyes, she quickly defended the situation. ‘Well it was more like a set-up meeting. The family’s been sending me on dates with other business familys’ sons in hopes that I’d meet someone. And that’s where I met Kris. Wu Corporations ring a bell?’

Taeyeon looked at her friend in disbelief but softened up when Kris returned and started showering his wife with so much love and affection. Heh, she’s got him all wrapped around her little fingers. So arranged marriages can end with happiness too?

---

Later in the night, the Kim couples raise their glasses to make a toast for the celebration. After all formalities were done. Mr. Kim spoke up, ‘Another reason why we called everyone here tonight is to also join us in celebration the union of our two families.’ Searching the crowd, his eyes fell upon his daughter. ‘Taeyeon-ah, would you please join me.’

Figuring that she’d have to sooner or later, she gave her parents a small smile and walked up on stage to join them. Once she reached them her mother whispered to her, ‘Joonmyun’s flight just came in awhile ago. He’s getting ready back stage. Everything will be fine honey. I promise.’ I hope so mom. I really do.

---

After a few minutes of speech between her father and Mr.Kim, it was announced that Taeyeon and Joonmyun would be getting married in the next coming months. Taeyeon could feel the tears gathering in her eyes as she remembered her promises with Suho. Together forever, isn’t that what we said. I’m sorry I can’t keep it.

Her eyes blurred with unshed tears as the door opened for Joonmyun to get on stage. Looking away as the tears were threatening to fall, Taeyeon used one hand to wipe them away as she faintly heard the conversations continuing on stage.

Eh? All of a sudden a warm warmth enclosed her free hand. I know these hands anywhere. Don’t tell me…

Taeyeon looked up right into the eyes of Suho. She couldn’t believe it. Where her eyes playing tricks on her? ‘It can’t be true. You’re not real.’ She unknowingly let those words slip through .

‘It’s me Taeyeon. I’m right here.’ Suho reassured her. He could see the confusion in her eyes and couldn’t have enjoyed it anymore than he could’ve. Her eyes, holding all that confusion, love, sadness, and joy. ‘I’m Kim Joonmyun, but you can call me Suho. It’s nice to meet you my fiancé. Miss Kim Taeyeon.’

And with that Taeyeon bursts into tears of pure joy. Hugging Joonmyun tight, she turned to her mom. Smiling back at her daughter, Mrs.Kim smiled and mouthed, ‘I told you.’

---

Walking into the courtyard garden a couple of minutes later, Taeyeon was still in disbelief of everything that had just happened. ‘How did you…How did this?...’ Taeyeon couldn’t find the right words to start.

Seeing his fiancé in such a confused state Joonmyun figured that now was the time to clarify. ‘Well, I’ve known who you were since we met. Being the eldest daughter of Kim Corp, you get photographed a lot you know.’ He smiled gently at Taeyeon.

‘When we got together I was so happy but I kept my background a secret from you so that you wouldn’t get the wrong ideas and so that scandals couldn’t approach you.’ Looking back at Taeyeon, Joonmyun could see the tears gathering at the corner of her eyes.

‘To be honest, when I heard of the engagement, I wasn’t on board with it either. But then they told me it was you. I couldn’t have been happier.’ Sitting them on a park bench he continued, ‘then on one of my vacations home, I met your family and they loved me, we all bonded instantly. Though we decided to keep it a secret from you though.’ Chucking he turned to Taeyeon to see her in tears. Getting down in front of her, he wiped the tears away.

‘You know, I wanted you to cry after I did this. Not before.’ Joonmyun kneeled before her and reached into his jacket pocket. ‘I know that we’re engaged now but our parents, but since I love you so much, I wanted to do this properly.’

Opening up the red box, Joonmyun revealed a silver diamond rings. The most simplest design but the brightest diamond she’s ever seen. Shocked, Taeyeon glanced from Joonmyun to the ring. A new batch of tears starting to form.

‘Kim Taeyeon. Would you marry?’

And just like that. All in one night. Taeyeon became engaged to Joonmyun and Suho proposed. Things could’ve have worked out any better. I love you Kim Joonmyun.

 

---a/n. 

after seven months ! it's done. i can check this one off my summer to do list. i hope you all enjoyed it and sorry for testing your patience waiting for this one

>< annyeong ! ~