Her Smile

Her Smile, Her Laugh, Her Kisses

Her Smile

Word count: 843 words.

 

Changmin groaned in frustration as his hyung, Jaejoong, dragged him to the building’s hall where this year’s auditions were being held. Changmin didn’t have the mind to gawk at the girls audition for a so-called girl group as all he wanted was to go to the canteen and eat. However, Jaejoong had a different idea in his mind. And whatever his hyung says, goes. ‘Don’t be like that Changmin-ah! You never know, you might find that special someone!’

 

 

“As if,” Changmin muttered under his breath when he knew Jaejoong wasn’t listening to him. “My special someone is food.”

 

The moment they arrived in the huge hall, girls of different ages gathered around, waiting for their name to be called out. There were at least 1000 girls in the hall but in Changmin’s eyes, they all looked the same. They all wore skimpy skirts and revealing shirts to try and attract the judges.

 

When Changmin turned around, he noticed that Jaejoong had already left to talk to one of the girls. She had long brunette hair and wore a name tag saying ‘Jung Suyeon’. Jaejoong looked like he was desperate for the girl’s attention however; the girl didn’t seem to care.

 

Changmin rolled his eyes at how desperate his hyung looked, as he tried to find a seat where no one would see him.

 

He finally found a quiet spot where a girl was quietly sitting down on a wooden bench, munching on a packet of potato chips. Changmin took the seat near the end of the bench with a short smile on his face. However, the girl didn’t seem to notice as she was too busy watching her surroundings and waiting for one of the judges to call her name out.

 

Changmin took this opportunity to examine her. Unlike the other girls, she wore a plain red t-shirt and a pair of jeans. She also wore a pair of black converse and to be honest, she looked rather plain. She didn’t look like she wanted to attract attention; rather, it seems that she didn’t want attention at all.

 

“Are you staring at me?” Changmin suddenly jumped as he heard her speak. He wasn’t sure if she was talking to him or not as her face was glued forward, avoiding his gaze. He didn’t respond and it made the girl finally face him. “Yah! I’m talking to you!”

 

Changmin suddenly coughed because of embarrassment. He finally realised that a girl was sitting next to him and being the socially awkward 15 year old he was, all he could do was look away and shake his head. “N-no. I’m not. I-I’m sorry.”

 

“I see,” She replied, slightly nodding as if she understood. From her voice, Changmin could tell that she wasn’t from around here. Although her Korean seems fluent, he could hear a tiny tinge of a Japanese accent behind it. He suddenly heard the bench squeak and when he turned to his right, he was met with the girl’s face right in front of his. He could feel his face getting warm at the sudden closeness of this girl.

 

“I thought this was an audition exclusively for girls,” She started; her eyes travelling up and down as her eyebrow slightly rose with confusion. Changmin gulped and could only stare at the girl. Looking at her up close, she looked like she was a lot younger than him. But boy, she acted a lot mature than him. “You’re not a girl… are you?”

 

When Changmin finally regained his composure, he answered. “N-No... A-actually... I’m a--”

 

“Choi Summer, 13 years old, Tokyo, Japan, you’re up!” A loud voice suddenly shouted out of nowhere. Both of them looked up to see where it came from only to find out that it came from one of the Judges. Changmin almost forgot that he was in the audition hall.

 

“Well I have to go,” She stood up, grabbing her things. Changmin could only nod in disappointment. For some reason, he felt a tinge of pain at the thought of not being able to see her again.

 

The girl then started to walk away while Changmin could only stay glued on the bench. He watched her back as she walked off but then suddenly, he saw her stop.

 

Changmin could only widen his eyes when she turned around. A huge smile was plastered on her face as her eyes crinkled into tiny slits. “It was nice meeting you!” She suddenly exclaimed with her weak Korean making Changmin speechless.

 

She finally disappeared behind one of the doors however, Changmin could only stare at the spot where she halted and smiled at him. He could feel his heart fluttering for some unknown reason the moment she smiled at him. Tiny little butterflies crept up in his stomach as a huge grin appeared on his face.

 

Jaejoong finally found Changmin and he could only hide a laugh as he saw the younger with a happy expression tattooed on his face.

 

“Yah, What happened? Who was that?” Jaejoong questioned as Changmin smiled in return.

 

Summer.

 

End.