Prolouge

The Power Of A Name

 

The first time Yoochun notices something is different is when the bite wound he had picked up at the park while playing with his brother and gotten bitten by a stray dog mysteriously heals by itself in less than a day, leaving his mother baffled, blaming it on having a good immune system for the 10 years of age he was at the time. He didn’t think anything of it, it was only a shallow cut anyway.
 



When he was 11, he fell off his skate board and broke an arm. It was a bad break, requiring surgery, but he left doctor baffled when the break corrected itself into the right position and was healed 2 weeks later.
There must have been a stuff up with the x-rays.

 



He was 13 the first time it happened. He had been watching a movie, an American movie, really wishing he had blonde hair like the lead actor. When he stood up to go to the bathroom, and looked in the mirror, his hair had lightened to and almost white shade of blonde. Startled, he watched it jump back to it’s normal shade of dark brown in an instant.
He must have been too tired and seeing things.



The first time not just a small thing changed, (his eyes had changed to blue after looking at a magazine and his ears pointed after reading a fantasy book), he was playing with Yoohwan, and had run into him accidentally walking around a corner, or to be more exact, he had bumped into him and become the splitting image of him.
Yoohwan thought it was cool and Yoochun made him promise not to tell their mother.

 

 

He spent most of his younger teenage years terrorising his local area whilst exploring and perfecting his new found power. A celebrity here, just a little older there to get into a club there, he didn’t question what it meant, only knowing that it had to be kept a secret.
 

 

When he discovered it wasn’t only physical attributes he could change, he started singing, trying to make a bit of pocket money on street corners and subway stations after school.

 

 

When he was scouted in a school talent quest and told he could be a star, he leapt at the chance of going back to his mother country, his brother and mother moving with him to Seoul so he could become a trainee under one of the biggest music labels there was.

 

 

His first introduction to the 4 men he was to spend the next phase of his life with was interesting. Yunho was very straightforward, Junsu still very much growing into his body at 17, Changmin the baby of the group at 15 years old but with as much snark as any grown man, and Jaejoong, who Yoochun thought, could have been the most gorgeous human being on the planet.

 

 

They debuted the day after Christmas, causing an uproar of fans to appear, and the 5 of them to skyrocket to the top of the charts within their first year of recording.

 

 

When it became apparent that Yoochun was not aging at a normal rate, he enlisted the help of his younger brother, the only other person to know still, to find out the truth behind what had happened all those years ago as a child to make this happen. And with the truth found out, he set about changing his features bit by bit in lieu of the aging process.
Everyone thought it was his good genetics showing through, after all, his mother didn’t look her age at all either.

 

 

He spent the time in between rushing to rehearsals and performances out on the streets, taking on a dismissible face and seeing what life as a normal person was like.
The other 4 were jealous of his ability to go un-noticed by fans everywhere.

 

 

It wasn’t unexpected when he realised he was in love with Jaejoong. And it was even less of a surprise when Jaejoong and Yunho told them they were dating, (secretly of course). Yoochun took to avoiding the couple, locking himself in his room and loosing himself in composing, more often than not, wearing a different face, escaping from life as a celebrity for just a little while.

 

 

The first time he had been caught was by Jaejoong. He had been in his room, avoiding Jaejoong and Yunho curled up happily on the couch together off in their own little world, intently focussed on the mirror, deciding whether or not the bright shade of blue his hair currently was matched Junsu’s face when the oldest of them walked in and nearly fainted in shock.
Yoochun explained everything to him, but it took a few weeks for Jaejoong to become accustomed to the fact Yoochun was not quite the same person he had always thought.

 

 

He and Jaejoong took to composing together, writing the music and lyrics, Yoochun singing through the others parts in a perfect copy of each member’s voice, surprising Jaejoong when he found himself listening to his own voice come out of the other’s mouth, giggling when Yoochun went on to mimic Changmin in his usual snarky way of speaking.

 

 

Yunho and Jaejoong fought. It was more than the usual lovers quarrel, and when Jaejoong stormed out of the apartment and didn’t come back, Yoochun got worried, which was rightly deserved.

Jaejoong wound up in hospital, having been pulled from his mangled car after being hit by a drunk driver whilst driving around the city trying to clear his head. He lay there in a coma, the doctors not sure if he would pull through or not, it had been a week so far and they said he had a good chance, but the others could see the looks in their eyes.

 

 

They stopped promoting, temporarily of course, according to the company, one of them always by Jaejoong’s side in the hospital. More often than not, Yunho. They comforted each other, Yoochun having Junsu crawl into his bed most nights, needing reassurance that their oldest member would be okay.

 

 

Another two weeks and still nothing.
Everyone was so distraught at the thought of loosing someone so dear to them, especially Yoochun. Although his feelings had died down from the flame they used to be, they were still there as hot as ever, like smouldering coals in a fire place, just waiting to be re-kindled.
Yoochun came up with an idea.



It took days of endless research with Yoohwan, but they finally found a way to change Jaejoong, sneaking into the hospital at night, Yunho asleep leaning on the bed, and one of the injured man’s many sisters in the corner, also asleep in a chair, Yoochun did it.
He was there the next morning when Jaejoong woke up, Yunho not in the room, and explained what he had done. Jaejoong cried, thanking him over and over, not caring that he might not be fully human any more.

 

 

Everyone marvelled at Jaejoong’s quick recovery, only Yoochun knowing the reason. And when they decided together to tell the others about them, all hell broke loose.
Junsu was accepting, he was scared, but he could accept the two of them through anything, it was just in his nature to be that way.
Yunho and Changmin were another matter.
Yunho was shocked, to say the least, and had backed out of the room, refusing to look either of them in the eye properly. Changmin had much the same reaction, but was a bit more civil about it, saying they just needed time to think about it.
He was always the more grown up one.

 

 

Yoochun left with Jaejoong and Junsu, leaving the company and the two other members of the band behind to start a new chapter of their life. They disguised the split as a lawsuit against the company, which in all fairness should have been put into action anyway.

 

It took a long time for Jaejoong to get over Yunho, months, years went by and eventually, Yoochun found himself with Jaejoong in his arms, the both of them understanding what the other was going through.

 

 

Junsu had asked to be changed after a while, and the other two did not begrudge him it, teaching him the ins and outs of the power just as Yoochun had taught Jaejoong when he had changed him in the first place. Junsu didn’t want to leave them, and with everything happening, he didn’t want to be left alone.

 

 

They retired from the industry about the same time Yunho and Changmin did, having had more years than they could remember being stars, they were ready to just live normal lives, or as normal as they could get. They had millions of fans out there still after all.

 

 

Changmin and Yunho showed up on their shared apartment’s doorstep not long after, just wanting the group to be back together again. Both of them apologising for their actions, Yunho more than the other, but he could see that he wasn’t going to get everything back and accepted it. Apparently he and Changmin had found each other in their absence, and Jaejoong was happy for them, not blaming Yunho for his earlier actions.

 

 

Yoochun made the offer to them not long after that again, the two considering before agreeing that they did not want to live their lives without the other three in them, just like old times, and agreeing.

 

 

The fans found out about the reunion, and the five of them went on one last tour together, before officially giving away the job that had made them the celebrities they were.

 

 

And then they were gone.
No one knew where they went, or what happened to them. All they know is that a letter had been left, (they had left separate ones to their families, promising to drop in, but not saying when or where), saying that they had had their time, and it was time for others to take their place. They were happy, and that was all that mattered.