Taking Chances

The Significance of 14th April

14th April 2014, 4.00PM.

 

3.59PM. My eyes were now permanently glued on the wall clock. He has to come. Minki needs to come so that I can tell him how miserable I had been over the past year without him and how much I had regretted my decision to put him off till the next. And then I’ll grovel and beg for his forgiveness, and make it up to him for the rest of our lives.

 

I could still remember every single emotion that coursed through me when I caught the final bus home that night. I was confused, so confused, and no one had made me feel that way before. Gazing out of the window and watching the scenery along Han River flash by blurrily, I had the sudden strongest urge to break down. My heart hadn’t been broken, so why was I acting as though it had been?

 

4.00PM. I fiddled with my bracelet nervously while constantly casting glances at the wall clock. If he was going to turn up, now would be the time. It was do or die.

 

“It’s settled then. A year from now, on April 14th 2013, if we still feel the same way about each other, we meet back at the where we first met each other.” My voice had been so strong and determined when I said that. Now, I was lost and weak and weary without the bundle of joy to brighten up my life.

 

4.01PM. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe Minki had really found someone else and had moved on and wasn’t going to turn up, and I had been the only foolish one who kept holding onto these feelings for the past year.

 

I picked up my chopsticks dejectedly and began jabbing at the cold, now unappetizing noodles, but a flash of blonde in the peripherals of my vision caused me to freeze in mid-action.

 

His outlandish fashion stood out like a sore thumb in the dullish, monochromatic space. His hair was still thick and blonde and held up by a ponytail near the base of his neck, exactly how I’d remembered it to be.

 

His wide bambi eyes scanned across the room once before finally landing on me. His determined gaze was unwavering and locked on me as he weaved his way through the tables towards my direction.

 

He flashed a small smile. My heart skipped a beat.

 

We were just two of the millions of lonely singles living in Seoul. By pure luck, we both turned up at the same black bean restaurant at the same time that day. By mere chance, we struck up conversation and found that we enjoyed each other's company enough to spend the day together. By fate, I fell for a bubbly, optimistic blonde boy in the span of 24 hours a year ago. Perhaps it hadn't just been all a coincidence.

 

Fairytales didn't only happen for those who are ready and prepared for them. Sometimes, the best love stories are the most unexpected ones. Even the hearts of the jaded can be thawed and they can be made to believe in love.

 

Everyone would have their own happy ending at one point or another. Some come quick, while others may take a detour before appearing before your sight. For us, that was the significance of 14th April.