Unexpectedly In Love

The Significance of 14th April

14th April 2013, 3.00PM.

 

“Okay, I really don’t get it. Why is everyone moping around today? Is there something special going on? Everyone seems to be talking about this ‘Black Day’ thing.” I observed all the Seoul citizens dragging their feet along the pavement, sighing exceptionally loudly as their eyes landed on any couple passing by, and glanced up at the sky cryptically. “And even the weather’s being crappy. Who died?”

 

“Oh right, I forgot that you just came from America and have absolutely no knowledge of Korean traditions and customs,” Aaron said with a chortle. This guy, acting all smart aleck and what not just because he came to Korea earlier than me! I rolled by eyes and folded my arms across my chest, jerking my chin at him to continue. Aaron held up his hands in mock surrender. “Dude, chill, I was about to get to the good part.”

 

Aaron gestured for me to lean in and I did, practically plastering my face next to his as he spoke in a hushed whisper. “In Korean tradition, on Black Day every year, people who did not receive any gifts on Valentine’s Day or White Day would gather at the black bean restaurant to eat black bean noodles. It’s sort of like to celebrate their singlehood.”

 

“That’s all to it?” I drew back to my original height and balked at Aaron’s not-at-all sensible explanation, regarding the snaking queue in front of the black bean restaurant up ahead with disdain. “All the hoo-hah is all because a couple of sad, lonely singles got disgruntled from not getting any? What kind of tradition is this? This is ridiculous.”

 

“Easy for you to say. You’ve got a date today. Aaron and I are forever bachelors. We only have each other.” Min Hyun piped up sourly as he slung an arm around the aforementioned boy’s shoulders for emphasis. “You’re going out with that really hot cheerleader, too! What was her name, again?”

 

“No idea.” I shrugged, checking the time for the umpteenth time today. Reaching into the front pocket of my jeans, my fingertips grazed against the edge of the movie tickets and I couldn’t help but grin. I was going to watch the premiere of Step Up: Revolution with this girl that I spoke to in school last week. She came up to me and asked if I were free, which I happened to be, and somehow I just landed myself a date. I hadn’t even known that she was a cheerleader for the football team until Min Hyun mentioned it. I need to start being more observant.

 

 “All right, guys. It’s time for you to buzz off. It’s almost 3 o’clock, and she should be turning up any moment now.” I tapped my Tommy Hilfiger and began chasing the duo away. “Go enjoy your black bean noodles or something and celebrate your forever alone status. Just not at this restaurant. I don’t want you guys loitering around when I’m having my date.”

 

Grumbling to themselves, the two scampered off, but not before throwing looks of betrayal over their shoulders which only reminded me of Gollum. I saluted them with my middle finger, stowing the offending appendage away quickly before anyone really saw me. Even though I had no clue who she was, I still wanted my first impression on her to be a pleasant one.

 

I smoothened out my jacket and fixed my collar and stood tall. She’s going to arrive any second now.

 

21_zps71483cb8.jpg

 

14th April 2014, 1.30PM.

 

I was on a rampage in my bedroom, flipping over decorations, pushing away furniture, emptying out dressers and turning my cupboards inside out to find the leather cuff bracelet I had last worn a year ago. Even though I was already running later than planned, I simply could not leave my house without that bracelet. It bore too much significance on this day.

 

Finally, just when I was about to give up on my search and simply do without it, an inconspicuously small brown object in the corner of my room caught my eye. I marched over and picked the item up. It was just the thing I had been tearing my room apart for. Slipping it onto my wrist, I reached for my phone and wallet while simultaneously trying to wear my socks.

 

Stuffing my feet into my Doc Martins, I didn’t bother to lace them up properly and hobbled down the hallway towards the elevator, across the lobby and out onto the bustling streets, barely managing to catch my bus before it left the stop. I sank back on the plastic seat in relief and hummed a light tune while gazing out of the window.

 

The sky was a deep shade of solid crystal blue with barely any traces of clouds visible. It was a clear sign that today was going to be a good day.

 

21_zps71483cb8.jpg

 

14th April 2013, 4.00PM.

 

Seconds turned into minutes and eventually a whole hour had passed by with no sign of the girl. I grew increasingly impatient with the lengthy wait. 4:01PM. I snapped, and a torrent of English poured out from my mouth as I voiced out my frustration. “Where the hell is the damn girl? Does she even know how bloody late she is? I swear, I’m going to give her a piece of my mind when she arrives.”

 

My sudden outburst attracted unwanted attention from the frowning pedestrians, who all inched away from me gingerly as though I was an alien. I probably was in their eyes though, seeing that I appeared to look Korean – which I am – but randomly acted out in a foreign language. I bowed slightly in apology before focussing on the grainy pavement again.

 

“Excuse me, would you like to have a seat first?” There was a tap on my shoulder as a soft voice came from behind me. I was about to turn the waitress down when I spun my body around and saw that it had not been a service attendant but a regular customer who spoke to me.

 

“Excuse me?” I blinked in disbelief as my brain desperately tried to process that a random, pretty stranger had just come up and spoken to me on the streets. “I mean, not to sound rude or anything, but I’d meant it in the most literal sense. Excuse me? Like, could you repeat what you just said? I’m afraid I didn’t catch what you said.”

 

“Oh,” The girl, who had looked taken aback for a second, smiled warmly again and tilted her head towards the restaurant entrance. “I asked if you want to sit down. I noticed that you’ve been standing here for the past hour now, and you probably are tired of standing around. I have a table all to myself and it faces the window, so…”

 

Well, she doesn’t seem to be appearing anytime soon. And this girl before me seems harmless enough. Why not? I took up her kind offer and soon was nestled in the nice and comfortable corner booth opposite the girl. I took the opportunity to size her up.

 

She was petite and had the hugest pair of bambi eyes I had ever seen. Her flawless features were almost doll-like, her nose slim and pointed, her bow-shaped lips naturally pouty, and her alabaster skin was milky white and flawless, tinged the faintest of pink at her cheeks. Her platinum blonde hair was scooped up into a tiny ponytail, leaving straight bangs to cover her forehead. Despite being decked up in androgynous fashion, she had an ethereal glow around her.

 

I snapped out of my – admittedly – stalker-like mode when she extended a hand towards me, coupled with a sweet smile on her face that made my heart waver just the slightest. I couldn’t comprehend how a stranger whom I just met could make me feel so nervous. “Hi. My name is Choi Minki. I’m eighteen this year. Nice to meet you.”

 

I raised a quizzical eyebrow at her proffered hand but didn’t say a word. She lowered the hand slightly but didn’t retract it. “Well, I figured that if you’re willing to take up my offer so readily, you’d be okay with me and not find me repulsive and would not mind being friends. Was I wrong?”

 

Bold, straightforward and witty. She’s definitely something else. I shook my head before stretching my own hand towards her, grasping hers in a firm shake. Her hand was soft and warm and everything I’d anticipated it would feel like. “I’m JR. Nineteen.”

 

“JR? That’s an interesting name for a Korean.” She remarked, the edge of curling just the slightest upwards. “Oh wait, did you just say that you’re nineteen? Wow, you’re older than me? You definitely didn’t look like it. Then I should call you hyung then!”

 

“You mean ‘Oppa’.” I corrected. Didn’t Minki say that she was Korean? How then could she mix up even the most basic of honorifics?

 

“No… I mean hyung.” Minki insisted, a slight frown creasing her eyebrows as a small pout formed on her delectable pink lips. “I’m a guy.”