Chapter Seventeen

The Mysterious Play [Discontinued]

 

"His name is Tao!" Suho yelled, catching Yongguk's attention,
 
"Tao?" the other repeated, frowning his eyebrows as if he was trying to remember something, "That's a nice name," he simply said,
 
When his hands didn't let go of Hwanggi's neck, Jieun started to grow impatient, "Now that you know his name, let go of him!" she growled,
 
"Why would I?" Yongguk smirked,
 
"You said that if we gave you Tao's name you would let Hwanggi go!"
 
"Oh I never said such a thing," he smirked while Jieun's eyes widened in fear. In fact, he didn't.
 
Before anyone could react Yongguk brought his hand in the air, curling it into a fist, ready to smash the little boys head.
 
"NOOOO!" Jieun cried as she shut her eyes tight and the boys charged forward to save Hwanggi.
 
But they stopped their tray when, suddenly, something flew fast in the air, hitting Yongguk's hand away really hard, "Ah! What the-"
 
"Don't you dare touch my little brother!" a voice called from nowhere,
 
Everyone's attention went to the boy perched in the trees with a catapult in his hand.
 
"Hwangju!" Hwangshi exclaimed, "What are you doing here? It's dangerous!"
 
The younger one sent his brother a determinate look as he prepared another rock in his catapult, "Ready?" he yelled, "Fire!"
 
What happened next was maybe the most unexpected thing in the world. Thousands of rocks flew in the air, coming out of every single tree around the place and aiming the three intruders from Roman.
 
Jieun watched the scene with surprise and admiration. All the kids from the village she saw earlier that day were perched in the trees, armed with handmade catapult and rocks, shouting and helping them to fight the enemy. She couldn't help but feel her heart warming at the sight. They were here to help!
 
"What the hell? Stop it!" Yongguk and the two others tried to protect themselves from the children's attack, "Chunji!"
 
After hearing his name, the other one nodded and straitened himself, ignoring the wooden stick that was flying toward his head. He closed his eyes, as if to concentrate and murmured something inaudible. That was when the wooden stick stopped just an inch away of his eye-lid and was sent back far away from him, just like all the projectiles the kids threw.
 
"What happened?" Kai exclaimed,
 
"Force field," Kris muttered under his breath, "He can create force field to protect them! Everyone be careful! He might also be able to-" he didn't have the time to finish as the invisible force knocked all of them on the floor.
 
"-attack you with it," Chunji finished, with a smirk on his face.
 
Hwangshi immediately got back on his feet to help Jieun who had been sent a few feet behind. But just as he reached her shoulder, their heads suddenly started to ring in pain.
 
Suho clenched his ears. What is this noise? It hurts so much!
 
He struggled to open his eyes and saw Niel with his mouth wide open as if he was screaming.
 
“Ultra… Sounds...”
 
Niel was able to make ultrasounds with such a high frequency and power that it made it unbearable for any living being.
 
Jieun was agonizing, just like the other boys. She felt like her head was about to explode. It was an indescribable feeling. It was like an invisible knife was sliding your brain into two pieces, slowly enough for you to suffer but not to die.
 
They were so strong! Why couldn't she do anything! She couldn't fight back.
 
Screams of pain could be heard along with Niel's extremely high voice. But Jieun realized that not only her warriors and herself were affected, but also all the children around.
 
"MAKE IT STOP!" Jieun yelled, when she saw the pained faces of the innocent kids, "STOP IT I BEG YOU!" she cried,
 
Yongguk only smirked in response, "Why? I find his voice beautiful,"
 
Jieun cursed under her breath. This guy was such a bastard! She couldn't bear the sound, but she couldn't bear seeing the children suffering even more. Her eyes then landed on a crying Hwangju, who had fell from the tree he was perched in. His hands were pressed tightly on his ears but his body was arching in every direction. Jieun couldn't take it anymore. She stood up and tried to run toward the younger one. When she reached him, she fell on her knees next to him and put her hands on his, covering his ears instead of hers.
 
"N-NOONA!" Hwangju exclaimed when he realized what she was doing,
 
"JIEUN!" voices yelled.
 
Her eyes were shot tight and her teeth clenched. It was so painful! But she had to bear it. She had to concentrate on protecting Hwangju. She was powerless, but she wanted to at least help someone.
 
“NOONA LET GO OF ME! YOU’RE HURTING YOURSELF!”
 
“JIEUN! JIEUN!” Hwangshi yelled. His eyes grew even bigger when he saw blood coming out of Jieun’s ears. That idiot! She was hurting herself.
 
In fact, Jieun had sensed it. Something had changed.
 
She couldn’t hear anything. Not even Niel’s voice. Deaf. She went deaf. Her head shot up in realization. And the boys immediately understood.
 
“!” Kai yelled. He couldn’t do anything. Neither could the other boys. The pain Niel’s voice caused was too strong to make any move. He even wondered how Jieun made it to Hwangju.
 
Hwangshi’s blood started boiling in his veins. They hadn’t done anything and these bastards were hurting his family and his friends! That was too much!
 
“STOOOOOP!” he growled loudly.
 
Then there was like a pause, a quarter of a second during which the time seemed to have stopped.
 
It stopped! Suho thought when he realized he couldn’t hear Niel’s voice anymore. He thought he went deaf too but the idea was quickly dismissed when he heard a thumb behind. 
 
“NOONA!” Hwangju exclaimed when Jieun’s hand left his ears and the girl had passed out next to him, “NOONA!”
 
“JIEUN!” Suho ran to her, taking her slowly in his arms and shaking her, “Jieun! Hey! Are you okay?”
 
“Hyung!” Baekhyun’s voice rang,
 
Suho looked up at the younger one and followed the direction he was pointing at. Three unconscious bodies were lying on the floor.
 
“What happened?” Kris asked himself. That was when his eyes fell on the man standing next to the three Romans. Armed with a sword and panting heavily, Hwangshi was there, watching the enemies with hatred in the eyes.
 
Now it made sense. Hwangshi used his power. Time control. It was clear now. He really was Tao.
 
“Did-Did you…” Kris asked,
 
Hwangshi shook his head, “No. I just knocked them out,”
 
Kris let out a little sigh of relief. Though the Romans were their enemies, he didn’t want to shed blood in this war. He smiled warmly to the youngest one before suddenly remembering, “Jieun!”
 
The next second, all the boys were at her side.
 
“How is she?” Baekhyun asked,
 
“I think she couldn’t take the pain anymore and passed out. She should rest a bit. I don’t think there is anything really bad. Except that…”
 
“She probably won’t be able to hear anything when she wakes up,” Kai said severely,
 
Suho nodded sadly, “That idiot,” he said,
 
Kris looked around at the children who were slowly coming back on there feet, “We should send them back and go back to the quarter so Jieun could rest. About your house Hwangshi…”
 
The other shook his head, “It’s okay,” he said, though his eyes were filled with sadness.
 
“Let’s just go back to the quarter and we’ll figure out what to do then. Hwangshi, you and your family should come with us,” Suho said.
 
“Of course.”
 
“And what do we do about them?” Kai asked, nodding nonchalantly at the three Romans direction,
 
“Let’s bring them with us. I need to ask them some questions. They seem to know more about the prophecy that we do,” Suho said and his looked at Jieun worriedly again,
 
“Let’s go then.” 
 
 
 
 
So sorry I didn't update sooner! Really I always think I'll have the time to write another chapter but I'm so busy... 
 
Anyway... Hope you liked the chapter!