Chapter 7

The Orphanage

Chapter 7

 

Ding dong. Ding dong. Ding dong. The doorbell rang for quite a while, effectively waking up most of the sleeping EXO members. Being the lightest sleeper, Baekhyun yanked himself out of his and Tao’s bed, trudged to the door, and yanked it open, only to find Sehun grinning at him. “Sehun?”

“Hyung!” Sehun flung himself at the older boy, “I had the best time last night!”

“Yah, stop screamin’! I get it! Get your big body in,” Baekhyun grunted as he dragged Sehun, who still clung to him, into the apartment.

Jongdae next came out of his room, and stared at the scene before him. “What happened to you?” he asked Sehun, looking at him up and down.

Sehun didn’t answer as he continued to cling onto Baekhyun. “Who knows,” the older boy answered, giving Sehun a wary stare. “Sure he’s not on drugs?”

“Shouldn’t be,” Kris walked out with only a towel around his waist. “He was at Elise’s last night.”

“Food…” Sehun murmured into Baekhyun’s shoulder.

“Alright, you’re gettin’ off me,” Baekhyun tried to pry the youngest EXO member off him, without success. “Sehun, get off…”

“Baby!” Luhan called from inside, and Sehun suddenly pushed Baekhyun away as he scurried off to the older boys’ bedroom.

Kai snickered as Sehun flew past him. “Still answers to that?”

Jongdae smirked. “Seems like it.”

“You know?” Baekhyun started, “I really wonder what happened to him.”

Kris smiled. “We’ll know, once Elise comes by.”

~~~~~~

After downing her third cup of coffee, Elise was feeling the buzz of the caffeine as she made her way to work. She doesn’t drink coffee all that much, since she is much more of a tea person. But that morning, after getting Sehun, who seemed a lot bouncier, out of bed, she felt her brain shutting down from the lack of sleep.

Elise yawned as she got off the subway, and could feel her eyes threatening to close as she entered her office. After sliding her messenger bag off her shoulders and taking a seat in her swivel chair, Elise let out a sigh she didn’t know she was holding.

Kate made her way to Elise, hoping for a nice chat since the two weren’t able to meet after volunteering. But after seeing Elise’s exhausted state, all her questions flew out of her mind out of worry for her friend. “Elise?”

A grunted sounded from Elise. Kate sighed. “I would ask if you’re okay, but it doesn’t seem like it…” she trailed off.

“Just… tired, is all,” Elise murmured.
“Want to tell me? Or do you want to rest for a bit?”

The quieter girl shook her head. “Tell you later?”

Kate nodded. “You going to work or rest?”

“Work. We weren’t in for the last few hours yesterday,” Elise replied as she opened the portfolio from the secretary and took a look at it.

“Talked to boss already. There wasn’t anything for either of us left. But we do have a meeting at 10.”

“Oh?” Elise wondered while noticing that there wasn’t anything that she couldn’t do in few hours time.

“Yup! So if you want to nap for like… the next two hours you can,” Kate continued.

Elise paused as she seriously considered taking the offer. “Could I?”

“Course! I have a soft pillow, and plenty of room since I have the corner cubicle. Want to nap there? I promise I won’t talk!” Kate exclaimed.

After a short moment, Elise nodded. “I’ll just sleep on the floor.”

“Great! Whenever you’re ready, pop by? I’ll set everything up for you,” Kate waved as she proceeded to her cubicle.

After securing her messenger bag and the plastic bag containing the boys’ notebooks and writing materials in the drawers, Elise made her way to the sales side of the large office, and found Kate’s office blanket, which was full of cartoon clouds, spread out on the ground. Her friend’s large Hello Potter pillow was placed at the head, next to the wall furthest away from Kate’s chair and computer. Another neatly folded Mashimaro blanket was placed at the foot of the makeshift bed, which earned a small chuckle from Elise. “Mashimaro?”

Kate pouted. “What? I like it.”

Elise shook her head. “It’s cute.”

“Think so?”

She nodded. “Yeah.”

Kate giggled in elatedness. “Anyway, go ahead and sleep. I’ll wake you up before we have to go to the meeting. I’m sure boss wouldn’t mind.”

After Elise settled into the blankets, she watched Kate as she returned to her work. “Kate?”

“Mm?”

“Thanks.”

Kate turned to her quiet friend and smiled. “No worries. Go ahead and rest. You need it.”

~~~~~~

After her nap, Elise felt more rejuvenated for the entire day. As she completed her last request, which was a short script for an upcoming clothing advertisement, she let out a sigh of relief that the day didn’t turn out too horribly. After typing up a draft and quickly revising it, she proceeded to print the script for submission to her secretary.

While standing in the print room, she thought about Sehun. Did he make it home safely? She hoped so. But, Elise didn’t have too many worries, especially since most crimes in the city occurred at night, and definitely not in the early morning. Also, the boy seemed too happy that morning anyway, and for what reason, Elise wasn’t so sure.

She stifled a chuckle as she stared at the printer and waited for the script to come out. Sehun puzzled her. After witnessing his excited demeanor earlier in the day, she realized that the stoic-faced boy had much more to hide behind his façade. The rest of the Exo members probably had similar issues and histories that they were hiding behind each of their expressions.

Elise shook her head at her realization. “We aren’t too different there, huh?” She bit her lips as she picked up the script, stapled it, and head back to her cubicle to pick up the manila folder that was thick with papers.

Kate was already waiting for her by the entrance to the office as Elise submitted her folder and head out the door. The bubbly friend skipped over, and noticed the bag. “Ooh, what’s that?”

“Notebooks and pens for the boys.”

“What’s it for?”

Elise cracked a small smile. “I’m teaching them how to read or write.”

“They’re illiterate?” Kate widened her eyes in surprise.

“Yeah,” Elise replied softly.

Her friend smiled gently and patted Elise’s shoulder. “I’m sure you’ll make a very fine teacher.”

Elise met Kate’s sincere gaze. “Think so?”

Kate winked. “Know so. Come on, Aunt Lee’s expecting us. At least, she’s expecting me. You know your schedule already?”

“I think it’s just going every afternoon from 4 to 8.”

“Aw, lucky,” Kate playfully whined. “Mine’s so not even.”

Elise nodded. “How?”

“I go all of Saturday afternoon, 12 to 6, nothing on Sunday, 4 to 6 on Monday, 6 to 8 on Tuesday, from 4 to 10 on Wednesday, after 6 on Thursday to check up with them, and 2 to 10 on Friday. So confusing…” Kate sighed.

“You can do it.”

Kate laughed. “I hope so. Otherwise, Aunty’s gonna kill me.”

Elise chuckled. “But she won’t kill you once the kids love you.”

“Sure, sure,” Kate waved her hand in a joking manner, which earned a rare laugh out of Elise.

She turned to her serious friend with a surprised expression. “You laughed, Elise…”

Elise realized what she was doing, and quickly stopped herself. Kate took her hand. “Wait!”

“Huh?”

“I mean…” Kate started, “don’t stop laughing.”

Elise tilted her head. “Why?”

Kate smiled and gave her friend an encouraging squeeze. “It suits you. A lot.”

“Yeah?”

“Mm.”

Elise nodded. “I’ll try.”

Kate giggled in glee. “I’ll see to it that you do!”

~~~~~~

When Elise arrived at EXO’s doorstep, she did not expect to hear shouts of anger coming from the other side of the door. She shivered at the rough tone the boys were using toward each other, and hesitated to knock on the door. “Maybe I should give them some time to cool down?” she asked herself.

However, within the next few seconds, a loud crash erupted from inside, and Elise couldn’t wait any longer. She loudly knocked the door, and silence resulted as the boys realized they had a visitor.

Elise briefly heard a “This isn’t over,” from Kyungsoo before he opened the door and smiled at her. “Elise! You’re here!”

She looked at each of them, ranging from a red-faced Jongin, a sobbing Tao, and a wary Sehun who comforted Tao. “Did I come at a bad time?”

Kyungsoo shook her head before giving her a sad smile. “No. Come in. Sorry you had to hear all that.”

“No, it’s fine. But if there’s anything else I can help you with, please let me know.”

“Psh, what can you do?” Jongin snorted.

“Shut it!” Kyungsoo suddenly shouted, and Elise flinched from the sudden volume change.

After realizing her reaction, Kyungsoo’s angry expression quickly changed to that of worry. “Oh my God, Elise… I’m so sorry… I scared you…”

Elise’s shook her head. “Not scared, Kyungsoo. Just startled. Don’t worry about it.”

Kyungsoo looked really guilty. “Kyungsoo.” He turned to her. “I’m fine. Really.”

After taking in her encouraging gaze, he nodded. “Sorry,” he murmured.

Elise, seeing that the young boy looked so guilty, proceeded to softly pat his back once. “Stop apologizing, I’m fine.”

She then turned to the rest of the boys. “I won’t ask about what happened. But, I’m going to ask that all of you help me clean up the mess here. Can we do this?”

Jongin sighed. “Why do we have to?”

Elise turned her gaze to him, shooting him a sharp look. “Do you want a bloody foot?”

“No, but aren’t you here to help? You’re a volunteer, right?” his retort fired back.

Joonmyun sighed before rubbing his temples. “Jongin, we’ve had enough. Go to your room.”

“Actually,” Elise started, raising her hand from her side.

“Yes?” Joonmyun asked. All the other EXO members turned to her, waiting for her response.

Elise bit her lips. “I’d like for Jongin to help out with us. You guys are one group, right? Kind of like family?”

“I wish,” Chanyeol blurted, earning a glare from Kris.

Elise nodded. “Well, you kind of are one, even though you all aren’t blood related. So now, we’ll clean this place together,” she took a swift look around the dirty and disorganized apartment, with the floor covered in porcelain pieces, “like a family.”

Seeing that no one responded, Elise met gazes with all twelve and tried again. “Are you expecting me to do this myself? I could you know…”

“Oh, no, you don’t need to,” Yixing reacted first. “We’ll help you, right guys?” he shot stern gazes with each of the members.

Kris nodded. “Yeah we will. Let’s get started then.”

After dividing the boys into duties and placing her bags in the closet, Elise proceeded to clean up the porcelain bits that covered the living room floor. Sehun, while wiping the windows, turned to face Elise. “Elise?”

“Yes, Sehun?”

He smiled a shy smile. “I didn’t thank you for last night. So… thanks so much.”

She nodded at him. “Of course. You’re welcome anytime. You…” she paused for a moment, “know that, right?”

“Yeah. I know.”

“Good.”

Sehun paused for a moment. “Is your arm okay?”

Elise turned to her tightly bandaged arm, which was hidden under her suit sleeve. “Think so. Doesn’t really hurt anymore.”

“Do you need to change the bandage?”

“I’ll do it later tonight.”

Sehun and Elise fell into a comfortable silence as both cleaned the living room of the dust, windows, and debris that littered the floor. Jongin watched from the corner of the hallway as they worked in silence, completely absorbed in their work. He recalled the argument from earlier, and an uncomfortable feeling settled in his stomach.

Chanyeol approached the younger boy. “Whatcha doin?” he whispered.

Jongin nearly jumped. “Geez, Yeol, don’t scare me.”

The tall boy shrugged. “Spying?”

“No,” Jongin rolled his eyes.

“Well, you are hiding here.”

“Why’s that spying?”

“I don’t know. You’re not showing yourself? Why so scared?” Chanyeol whispered fiercely at him.

Before Jongin could lose his temper, Yixing stepped in. “Guys, drop it. Get back to work, and we’ll settle this later. I’m not sure what you two are getting tense about,” Yixing continued in a stern manner as Chanyeol and Jongin dropped their heads in embarrassment, “but now’s not the time to argue. Understood?”

“Yeah,” both replied.

“I’ll see you both later then,” Yixing clapped both on the shoulders as he head to the bedrooms, causing Chanyeol and Jongin to wince at the impact. Chanyeol simply left to go back to the bathroom, but Jongin stayed behind. His eyes softened as he watched Elise carefully pick up the smaller debris from the floor.

“Just go over,” his mind echoed, but Jongin couldn’t get himself to move from behind the wall. A certain fear held him back. A fear of rejection, and he didn’t know if Elise would do that to him since he seemed to always push her away.

Like his parents did with him.

Jongin simply shook his head as he turned around and leaned against the wall. He took deep, even breaths, which helped him calm down and kept the tears down. Once he felt his heartbeat slow down and his eyes dry up a little, Jongin pushed himself off the wall and entered into the kitchen to help Yixing with the food and dishes.

If only he saw Elise’s sympathetic gaze as she watched him slowly shuffle away from her vision.

 

 


Hey readers!

Sorry for the late reply. I've been settling into my job this summer, and I've been focusing "End of the World" for these last few weeks. As we continue, the histories of these boys will start showing up. This argument, though very vague, is just the beginning. So far, we don't know much, but it will all unravel soon.

I think you can see for now who's starting to warm up to Elise, and she's warming up a little too, isn't she?

If you have anything you'd like to mention about this story, or things that you may like to see, please comment. And if you like it, please subscribe! They always make my day.

See you all soon!

shadowonsapphire