Answers

Love Works Wonders

XVII.

 

 

“You’re back, I see,” Nickhun coughs when he opens up his apartment door. “Please come in, so you can finish the job.” Minho doesn’t let his attitude faze him in the least – he wants to get it over with just as much as Nickhun is acting like he does. “How are you going to do this?” he asks, leaning against his kitchen counter. That was covered in an array of things that needed to be put in the trash. “Are you going to shoot me? Choke me to death? What’s it going to be?” As he speaks, he slowly grabs a kitchen knife off the counter and slides it into his sweater’s sleeve. He wouldn’t be accepting death so easily tonight.

“Shut up,” Minho hisses, glaring at him with ice in his eyes. “Stand on that rug, turn around and get on your knees with your hands in the air.”

“Alright, your majesty,” Nickhun complies, doing as he was told. “Hurry and do your job.”

Minho approaches him and is ready to strike him in the back of the head for speaking to him with such disrespect when all of a sudden Nickhun swiftly turns while simultaneously pulling out his knife to stab him in the thigh.

Minho maneuvers out of the way just in time but he loses his footings and falls to the ground onto his back.

Nickhun hops to his feet; “Well, the tables have turned haven’t they?” he laughs mockingly.

He charges towards him and Minho responds by grabbing the nearby wooden coffee table and flinging it towards him. The table breaks into pieces once it collides with him and the debris falls all over the place. The sawdust stays afloat in the air for some time and it stings Nickhun eyes, causing him to curse to himself as he wiped his eyes in hopes to stop the burning.  It gives Minho enough time to find a weapon of his own. He scopes the room quickly and a stray leg of the coffee table with a sharp end he had thrown catches his eye and he dives for it just as Nickhun collects himself. He turns on his back for the second time just as Nickhun tries to attack again and once he’s close Minho takes the wooden stick and points it forward. At the speed Nickhun was going, it embeds into his chest with a sickening squishing sound. Nickhun gasps, his eyes widening in shock. Blood squirts everywhere as Minho gives the stick a sickening twist, pushing Nickhun off of him. He falls onto his backs, gasping for oxygen.

“I had something quick and less painful in store for you,” Minho brushes himself off, in disgust. “You should have just waited.” Nickhun reaches out for him with a shaky, bloody hand choking on his own blood. “Enjoy hell, my friend.” He declares when Nickhun finally took his last breath. Minho huffs as he adjusts his jacket. He whips out his phone to send a quick text to his father about how everything didn’t go as planned and he had to act on impulse.

“Is everything alright? I heard some commotion.” an elderly woman questions him once he shuts the door behind him. “Is Nickhun-ssi okay?”

It was too dark for her to see the blood that Minho was covered in, thank god, so he easily answered with an; “Oh, he’s okay. He just went to bed.”

“Maybe I should check on him…?” she takes a step.

“No! No, he hasn’t been feeling well for a while,” Minho explains quickly. “All he needs right now is some good sleep for a quick recovery.”

“Ah, I see.” The elderly woman smiles at him. “Sorry to bother then.”

Minho bows to the woman and turns to return to his car. He lets out a sigh when he’s peacefully seated inside his vehicle. His head begins to pound and he feels a bit light headed, which he knows is because he hasn’t eaten in a couple hours. He puts his hands on the wheels and sees Nickhun’s blood all over his hands. He suddenly feels repulsed, almost wanting to puke.

Minho leans his head back against the seat and snickers to himself. He has never once felt affected when he took the life of another human being so why now?

Is it because of Kibum? What would Kibum think of him if he knew? If he knew he was a monster… would he never want to see him again?

He had to stop doing things like this, because he honestly wants Kibum to be a part of his meaningless life.

He didn’t know what it was that Kibum did to brighten up his dark heart a little bit because if Minho honestly thought about it he didn’t exactly do anything. They met at a gay club for god’s sake. A gay club.

Minho was not one to really believe in fate, but what if it really was fate that brought them together?

 

 

****

 

 

When Minho reaches his condo, he decides to take the stairs to his floor because taking the elevator would be too risky; someone would see him in his state and start asking questions. By the time he reached his floor, he could see someone standing outside his door.

“I’m sorry, I know it’s late but is Minho around…?” the person asks and Minho could recognize that exquisite voice anywhere.

“Kibum? What are you doing here?!” he demands.

The two males before him gasp at the sight of him. They both usher him inside while pounding him with nonstop question after question. Why wasn’t Jonghyun in bed sleeping? And what the hell was Kibum doing here at this ungodly hour? Minho asked himself but his head ached too much to even attempt to answer his own questions, nevertheless theirs.

“Kibum, could you please wait outside for me.” Minho interrupts. “Jonghyun and I need to have a little conversation. Ouch!” he winces, feeling a slight pain in his leg.

Jonghyun rushes to his aide and helps him sit down on the couch. He then turns to Kibum to the door.

“No. No!” Kibum shrugs him off. “I refuse to leave unless I know that Minho’s okay.”

“Kibum, it’s alright. I’m okay.” Minho says, holding up a hand. “Remember what we agreed on whenever you’re here? Whatever I say, you do.”

The younger one draws in a breath; “Fine.” He gives both men a glare before leaving, slamming the door behind him.

“You’ve got a lot of things to explain to me, Choi Minho.” Jonghyun places his hands on his hips. “For starters, that “Kibum” kid, is that the same Kim Kibum that you are always complaining about over dinner? The one with the thirty-eight average? What the hell is he coming over here for and why is he calling you by your first name? That is so disrespectful. And, and why are you covered in blood? What happened to you?!”

“Jonghyun, breathe, please.” Minho stands, slowly, from the couch and turns to go down the hall.

Jonghyun grabs him by the shoulder. “Minho, answer me! Damn it! Stop shutting me out. We’re supposed to be friends.”

Minho sighs and gives in; “Okay, so…” he doesn’t know where to start as he enters the bathroom. He turns on the faucet and begins to wash up his hands and face.

“So…?” Jonghyun crosses his arms as he leans against the doorframe, watching him very closely.

“Remember when I told you I liked someone…”

Jonghyun eyes widen; “Don’t tell me… Minho, please,”

“Jonghyun, you said…” Minho dries his hands and face. He uses his fingers to brush his hair out of his face as he faces him. “You’re supposed to be my friend…”

“I am but, oh my God Minho, you’re dating a child!” Jonghyun exclaims, throwing his hands up in the air. “Th-That’s illegal. It-It’s sick!”

“Jonghyun, I…” Minho didn’t know what to say. He thought Jonghyun would be more supporting and give him advice on what to do like he always did.

However, the shorter male was beyond furious. Why did such things have to happen to him? The man he loves is in love with another. And that other is a minor? He didn’t understand anything at all anymore.

“I have… I have nothing to say to you, Minho, honestly…” he grabs a fistful of hair, while shaking his head. “I don’t… I can’t… I need… What the hell is wrong with you?!”

Minho opens his mouth to speak but nothing comes out. He was at a loss for words, truthfully. Jonghyun disappears from the doorframe and then a couple of seconds later the sound of his door shutting could be heard.

Telling Jonghyun was a mistake, wasn’t it…? Minho asks himself. Oh, what have I done?

 

 

****

 

 

Kibum sat on the sidewalk in front of the building hugging his legs to his chest to keep for warmth. He blew air into his hands to keep them warm since it was quite chilly out tonight. He covers his mouth with his elbow before he could let out a sneeze.

“Bless you,” a voice says from behind.

Kibum looks up to see Minho, but he quickly turns back around. He remembers that he is highly irritated at him.

“I said bless you,”

“Thanks,” Kibum wipes his nose with his sleeve.

“You’re angry with me. I can see it.”

“Minho, I just want some answers.”

“I know,” he says, wrapping an arm around the younger, wanting to keep him warm. He places a kiss on his temple and it causes a small smile to form on Kibum’s pink lips. “But I have to tell you this first.”

“What is it?”

“I told Jonghyun about us and…”

“What… what did he say?”

“It wasn’t very kind.”

Kibum frowns at his words. “Why was he upset?” He leans his head on Minho’s shoulder.

“I like you, Kibum; I do, as much as I act differently…”

“I think that’s the first time you’ve said you liked me without looking so annoyed and ready to choke me.”

They laugh and stare into each other’s eyes. Minho did really like the youngster, but what if Jonghyun reported him. He looked so upset and it seemed likely that he would do something like that. He would just have to talk to him – convince him not to talk.

“What are you thinking about?” Kibum questions, noticing his dazed look.

“Us…”

“Hmm, hey, Minho, remember when we were in your car and you told me you had something to say?”

Minho stops to think and then nods.

“What was it?”

“I am your Health teacher, Kibum,” Kibum just stares at the elder with a blank expression for a while which began to worry Minho just a tad bit. “Kibum…?”

“So that’s how you know Jennie…” the younger interrupts. “It all makes sense now.”

“Wait… why are you not bothered by this?”

“I feel a little bad because I would talk about him, I mean you, and say mean things. I’m really sorry, Minho, I mean Mr. Choi.”

“Kibum, chill…” Minho pats him on the back of the head. “I think I should take you home now, a lot of stuff has happened tonight.” He stands and lends Kibum a hand too.

“If you’re my teacher and my boyfriend that means I don’t have to come to those stupid tutorials anymore, correct?”

“No, incorrect - I’m not your boyfriend, but you really need to improve your grades.”

Kibum wraps his arms around Minho’s waist as the two make their way towards his car. “Wait… what do you mean you’re not my boyfriend?”

“I haven’t officially asked.” Minho smirks. A smile so wide makes its way onto Kibum’s face. “When I ask you, it’s going to be special.”

Kibum looks up at Minho for a quick kiss, which he gets. “Okay, Mr. Choi.”

“Look, you don’t have to call me Mr. Choi when we’re not in school alright?” Minho says.

“Why? Does it make you feel old?”

Minho glares.

“Kidding, I’m kidding!”

“Sure you are,” Minho ruffles his hair. “But Kibum, are you sure you’re really not bothered… like at all…?”

“I wouldn’t use the word bothered…” Kibum hems, tapping on his chin to think of another word (which Minho finds cute, the way his lips pout while he thinks). “I’m scared, Minho. I’m really scared, but I know you will be there protecting me.”

Something in Minho warms up and it is like pieces of his dark heart were slowly dwindling. He grabs Kibum by the hips and gently pushes him against his car and leans over to kiss him. The moonlight shined brightly in the sky as Kibum’s arms snake their way around his neck in response as both their eyes fall shut. Goosebumps shimmer across Minho’s skin when Kibum’s hands interlace with his hair. The younger tastes like a Frappuccino and smelled strongly of chocolate. Minho felt intoxicated by him, as if he were a drug that he just couldn’t get enough of.

 

 

****

 

From Kim Jonghyun’s window he watches in disgust as the two shared a kiss. He was still so very angry at the fact that Minho was seeing a minor. He was angry at himself, too, for not speaking up, because their might have been a chance for him.

“Too late now,” Jonghyun whispers to himself bitterly as the lovers climbed into Minho’s black Volvo.

He falls onto his bed and hugs his pillow sadly. He was jealous.

Very jealous.