Liar

Liar

I walked into a nearby department store since I need to buy something for my nephew for Christmas. He’s only 5 years old and I love him to death. But I have no idea what to get him.

As I enter the store, I roam around to look for something he may like, but I can’t decide on one. I then go on to look for someone who works here. I couldn’t find anyone who was free. Then all of a sudden I heard this deep cave voice from behind me. “May I help you?” I turned around and looked up. He’s very handsome with short blond hair, and a gummy smile to match. “Yes…I’m looking for something a 5 year old boy would like…” I said as I was looking down at my shoes. I was too shy to look at him in the eyes. “Ahh…For your nephew??” I looked up at him in shock. “H-How did you know??” He flashed a gummy smile. “Lucky guess~! Do you know what type of animal he likes?” Why didn’t I think of that? “He loves monkeys…a lot.” He then walked over two isles and came back with two monkeys. One big one and one small one. “Which one would he like?~!” I looked at them carefully and decided that he should get the big one. “I love the small one, but I’m not shopping for myself…I think he would love the big one more…” He then handed me the big monkey. My face lit up as he gave it to me. “Thank you very much…uh…” My eyes scanned around for a name tag, but I couldn’t find one. “Oh…Yongguk…” he said as he flashed another one of his gummy smiles. “Ahh…Thank you very much Yongguk~!” I then proceeded to the checkout and paid for the monkey. I wanted to thank him again, but when I looked back into store and I couldn’t find that blond head in the huge crowd.

It was Christmas Eve, and I gave my present to my sister for her to give to her son. I then decided to spend my Christmas Eve in town, since I have no one to spend it with. I usually spend it with my sister since our parents passed away since we were little, but since she got married I felt it was better for her to spend it with her new family.

As I was walking in town, I saw the same department store. I thought I could thank him again for his help. I proceeded to the cashier. “Is…Yongguk here?” The girl then gave me a confused look. “Who?” I thought she was crazy for a moment. I should have asked him for his surname too. “Uhh…Yongguk…isn’t he an employee here?” She then gave me an awkward smile. “I’m sorry ma’am…but there’s no one who works here by that name…” My eyes widened as she said that. What? Did he lie to me? I then thanked the cashier and walked out of the department store. It began to snow as I walked out. I couldn’t enjoy the snow since I was thinking about Yongguk and how he lied to me about working there. I then felt a tight grasp on my arm. I turned around and saw him. I gave him a glare. “What do you want?” His face began to sadden. “I’m sorry I lied…I thought if you thought I worked there…I could talk to you…” My face relaxed. “What do you mean?” I looked down to his hand still gripping my arm. He let go of it once he realised he was still holding it. “I-I dunno…I can’t speak to a woman very easily…And it looked like you needed help…” He looked like he was about to cry. I then noticed that his other arm was behind his back, holding something. “What’s that behind your back” I asked. His face began to turn red as he brought his hand forward. “I-It’s the monkey from before…I bought it to apologise…” I don’t know if it was because this was the first time someone besides my sister has bought something for me, or because it was from him, but a huge smile appeared on my face. I took the monkey. “Th-Thank you…but you didn’t have to buy me something to apologise…” He then smiled. “I wanted to…So uh…” I then realised he was waiting for me to say my name. “I’m _____…it’s nice to properly meet you…Yongguk…” His face became redder. “So uh…_____…do you have any plans today?” I smiled. “You lied to me, and now you’re asking me out?” He became flustered. “I-I’m n-not asking you out!!! I-I just thought I would repay you somehow…” I began to laugh. “I’m kidding.” I looked at my monkey again then back to him. “I’m doing absolutely nothing…” He then fiddled with his fingers which I just noticed were just as beautiful as his smile. I smiled at him and said, “I was planning on only walking around today…unless you have a better idea in mind…” He smiled and said, “No…that’s a perfect idea~!”

We spent the whole day walking around town. I know it might not seem like an ideal Christmas Eve, but it was the best Christmas Eve I’ve ever had in my life.