Chapter 18 - Seoul

Closure

 

Hello~ These chapters are going to be extremely short (compared to the ones prior) because I'm trying to space out the story instead of putting everything in one chapter. I just don't want this story to end. I love writing for you! <3<3<3 Thank you as always! <3

Also... I am running short of TaeKai gifs... 

 

 

Jongin once heard that just past midnight is when one is most susceptible to emotional freedom and acceptance. He hadn’t slept in days, or weeks; he really couldn’t tell. This was when he especially missed Taemin; maybe because he felt lonely or as though his heart wasn’t quite balanced, but the back of his mind told him he was craving the only person who could make him feel cared for, or who actually cared. Or maybe all these components added up to the reason why Jongin was outside of Taemin’s house in complete darkness.

The rattle of cell phone vibrations against the glass of Taemin’s bed-side table awoke him from his incredibly deep sleep. Drowsily, and still with his eyes shut, Taemin outstretched his arm to feel around for his phone. After achieving it and squinting his eyes at the brightness, he read the message more than once to process it, and for his eyes to adjust. The message was from none other than Jongin, and this still managed to give Taemin a surge of elatedness even seconds from sleep.

Sorry if I woke you. Come outside.

Taemin blinked, and furiously typed back a message half guessing the location of the keys.

WHTA THE HELL ITS 1 IN THE MORGNIGN GO TO SLPEE

Seconds later, Jongin replied.

Come outside. Bring a coat too… It’s like negative degrees out here.

Taemin groaned a little, and fought the warm duvet off his body, only to wrap himself in it again and walk to his bedroom window. Sure enough, Jongin was leaning against his car with his hands in his pockets. He waved his fingers a little to Taemin and smiled. Taemin rubbed his eyes and threw on the nearest jacket he could find, not bothering to remove his pajama pants.

It wasn’t as though Taemin didn’t want to see Jongin; quite the opposite. It felt like one of those cheesy romance movies where someone throws rocks at their significant other’s window. Except this felt so much more real and pure, unlike any scripted cliché.

Taemin tip-toed down the stairs trying not to wake his mother, sometimes slipping because of the darkness (or from his nerves). The instant he snuck out of his house and quietly shut the door, the brisk air embraced his cheeks and chilled the tip of his nose. The air felt somewhat refreshing; inhaling the atmosphere and young breaths of the early morning made Taemin feel as though he were the first to welcome in the beginnings of another day. He hugged himself to halt his shivers as he glided along with the breeze to the waiting beauty.

The way Jongin rested against the side of his car and the way his jacket hugged his arms put a very specific image into Taemin’s mind.

“Hey, Danny Zuko.”

Jongin laughed and caressed Taemin’s neck with the tips of his fingers before engulfing him in a sanity draining lip lock.

“Hey, Sandy.”

Taemin couldn’t help but smile a little into Jongin’s lips, his teeth slightly chattering. “Why did you want to see me this late?”

Their hands mutually found each other and intertwined, resting against their chests. Taemin slightly leaned in towards Jongin’s body unintentionally; they were magnetically bonded.

“I couldn’t sleep… I just need to see you. And talk to you.”

“About what? Are you okay?”

Jongin laughed a little. “I knew you would ask questions if I said anything.”

“Sorry….”

“Don’t be.”

They stared at each other for a while, Taemin too sleepy to look away and Jongin too happy to see Taemin. The occasional breeze swept Jongin’s hair across his eyes as the whites of his teeth shined through the night. Taemin’s self-esteem lowered a little every time he looked at him. It would always be hard to believe Jongin was entirely his.

Eventually, Taemin was pulled to the passenger side of the car, and nudged inside. Jongin followed, and shut the door behind him which emphasized their echoed breaths in the silence of the car. Through clattering teeth and shivers, Taemin asked, “Where are we going?” Jongin reached behind the seat, pulled out a warm and fluffy blanket, and dropped it onto Taemin’s lap. “Somewhere it’ll be cold.” Taemin wrapped the blanket around his shoulders, and the remaining slack draped around his head. He closely resembled a nun, with only a few inches of his face poking out from the warmth.

Taemin felt a little rebellious; sneaking out in the dead of night with his boyfriend, while Jongin seemed all too familiar and comfortable with the situation. Either Taemin just didn’t get out much, or Jongin was just way too suave.

The streets were quiet, though the lights from the city shined brighter than usual. Jongin and Taemin talked of life, of hope, and of their love as they flew through the fluorescent lights to their destination. A few violent turns down some unknown dirt roads made Taemin a little cautious, though a massive hillside clearing welcomed them at the end of the road. Jongin drove a little further, until he parked at the very tip of the grandest hill. They stepped out from the car, and that’s when Taemin saw it: the view of almost the entire city completely stole his breath. The lights flickered, and the noise of the city was now only visual in the stillness of the clearing. The stars sparkled above them and twinkled into the perfection of Jongin’s eyes. The climate was definitely a few degrees colder however, and Taemin wrapped himself tighter in the fuzz of Jongin’s blanket.

Jongin peered behind Taemin’s shoulder, and spoke incredibly softly into his ear.

“The stars shine for you, Taeminie.”

Taemin was now openly blushing, for Jongin would not see his steaming red face under the silhouette of the sky. “They shine for us.”

Jongin hugged Taemin’s waist, attempting to warm him and succeeding. There was no better feeling than the safety of his loved one’s embrace while the scariness of the vast night swarmed around them. Eventually, they moved to the top of Jongin’s car, laying against the window. The instant Taemin was laid down under the blanket, he remembered how sleepy he was. Perhaps he was just a little overtired. He wrapped his arm over Jongin, and was now side straddling him for comfort. He had gone a little loopy from lack of sleep, and inhaled the beautiful scent of Jongin.

“Mmm do you know how good you smell?”

“Do I?”

“Mmm… Jongin… baby….,” he closed his eyes and kissed the side of Jongin’s neck, “ you for making me love you so much.”

Jongin laughed at Taemin’s mood swing, and held on to the sleepy and shivering, scrawny boy a little tighter. There they lay; backs against the glossy, white finish of Jongin’s car and hearts against the world. Jongin then decided it time to tell Taemin what he had brought him out for that apparently just couldn’t wait.

“Tae…”

Taemin was now almost on top of Jongin, his lips being warmed by the heat of Jongin’s neck as he hummed. “Mhm.”

Jongin gulped. “That application that I sent… the one you recorded to send to the school in Hong Kong. Well, they got it, and… They liked it. They accepted me… and… umm…,” Jongin didn’t know why it was so difficult to confess, despite how blunt he was, “I’ll be going there… to China… It starts next July.” Jongin let out the breath he felt he had been holding for months.

There was silence for quite some time.

“Tae?”

Still silence.

Jongin turned his head to face Taemin. Taemin’s serene expression, closed eyes, and rhythmic breaths informed Jongin that Taemin had indeed, fallen asleep.

“Tae. Did you seriously go to sleep on me?” He poked Taemin’s round cheeks. “It took me so long to say that, and you just fall asleep?” He smiled nonetheless, and kissed Taemin’s nose.

Maybe it was better if Taemin didn’t know, therefore their days together would not constantly be weighed down with the pressure of time and thought of Jongin leaving. Perhaps, considering Taemin’s logic and mentality, it was better that way.

Jongin shut his eyes and held Taemin in such a needy squeeze, remembering the slenderness of his back and daintiness of his built. Etching the sound of his heartbeat into his memory, for he may not be close enough to feel it for long.

He finally fell asleep, undergoing the most peaceful dream he had had in a long time.