Shopping Trip

It's Complicated

 

Monday again, I thought as I turned off my alarm clock. I got two huge exams today and I'm not even sure if I still remember of the things I "studied" last night. Before I even got the chance to get up, Ji Sung calls me on the phone.

"Mm, what?" I mumbled. "Do you even know what time it is?"

She giggles. "Of course I do. I was just gonna ask you if we're pushing through our trip to the mall today." Before I went to sleep, I messaged her to ask if it was okay for her to accompany me to the mall to check out some things for the apartment.

"Uh, yeah after exams Is it okay?"

"Of course!" She replies. "What exactly are we going to look for?"

"I'm not really sure myself. Let's just talk about it later. See ya!"

"Okay. Bye!" 

By the time I finished taking a bath and dressing up, Bong Shil, our housekeeper was busy preparing my favorite breakfast: Dumpling soup fried noodles, fresh fruits and my favorite hot strawberry tea.

“Wow…” was all I can say as I took a seat.

“Today’s your exam day so I made sure you eat up so that you can ace that exam.” Bong Shil replied, a warm smile in her eyes. As much as I can remember, Bong Shil has been with us ever since we came back from Boston and she became the “grandmother I never had”. Her cooking is also something my parents and I always craved for, even earning praises from my mom who claims she is the “best cook in Korea.” Hah.

“Thank you!!” I replied and started eating.

“You seem pretty happy these days, little girl. Something happened to you, huh?” She asked. Despite the fact that I’m already 23 years old, she still calls me ‘little girl’ and I appreciate it, not that I’m small of anything.

“Huh? Nothing really.” I replied, finishing the last of my noodles. Knowing that Bong Shil is a talkative woman, I quickly gave her a big hug a thanked her once again before leaving the house.

Well, let’s say that I’ve been in a better mood ever since my parents and I visited the apartment.

Okay, fine. I’ve been happier since I met Ji Yong in that bubble tea shop. I don’t know, but ever since that encounter, I don’t hate him like before. Not that I let my guard down, I just think that it’s okay to trust him. Nothing’s wrong with that, right? Who knows, we might end up having a much better relationship, not that I’m looking for a relationship, but I’m sure you get the point.

I’m also looking forward on going to the mall with Ji Sung; it’s been so long since I went out with her. So what I did was I tried to finish the exams as quickly as possible, but I made sure that I read every question carefully and checked my solutions for calculus to make sure I did well. Ji Sung finished the exam minutes after I did.

“Ah, I’m glad that exam was done!” Ji Sung said, stretching out her arms. “I just wish those 4 cups of coffee were worth it.”

“I’m sure it will, and then hopefully we retain our titles as Dean’s Listers.” I replied. To tell you the truth, I wasn’t expecting that I’d end up being a Dean’s Lister since I have always been a procrastinator, whereas Ji Sung had study habits that I envied. But ever since I became one, I promised myself that I’d be a better student to retain that title. It was also a way to make up for the disappointment in my failed debut.

We headed straight to the mall and looked for a nice place to eat. While roaming around, it’s as if I felt someone was following us. I kept looking back; however, no one looked suspicious enough to pass off as a stalker or someone like that.

“Something wrong?” Ji Sung asked. “It’s like your head can’t stay still.”

“No, I just feel like someone’s following us.” I whispered. Ji Sung let out a laugh.

“You’re just hungry!” She replied, taking my arm and hooking it around hers. “Don’t worry because I’ll be your bodyguard for today.” I smiled and we continued looking, but I still felt weird. That was until we found a place to eat and I checked my phone.

From: Short man
Message: Who is that man you are with, huh?

I hissed under my breath. Don’t tell me that he’s also here. Please. I felt nervous to look around in case I see him somewhere, but I was distracted with something else. He thinks I’m with a man? I briefly glanced at Ji Sung who was too busy eating; given that she had a pixie cut and the clothes that she wore; she definitely looks like a guy. I mentally laughed at Ji Yong because he thought Ji Sung was a boy. Hah! I didn’t bother replying and continued eating. Let him think I’m with a man so that he could leave me alone.

Soon after, my phone rang. I looked at it and knew it was Ji Yong. Annoyingly, I text him.

To: Short man
Message: Let me finish eating at least before you call me.

After that, I continued eating and ignored the continuous vibrating of my phone.

When we both finished eating, Ji Sung must have noticed that my phone still kept on vibrating.

“Should you answer that? It might be your parents.” Following her advice, I excused myself and went outside to answer the call. Turns out it was still Ji Yong.

“Why answer just now?” His voice was hoarse, sending chills over my spine.

“Where the heck are you? I’m with—“

“Who are you with?” He interrupted me. I rolled my eyes. Is he being protective now?

 “I’m with my friend. A female friend, for your information.” I guess he was a bit surprised since he didn’t speak up after that.

“H-Hello?” He finally asked.

“Yes, what?” I asked, irritated.

“Take care.” And the call ended. I made sure to check the surroundings before I went back in the restaurant.

He’s worried about you, that’s why he called, a voice at the back of my head said. I shook my head in protest, but I couldn’t get rid of that thought as my day with Ji Sung went on.

First, we went to a furniture store where we found a nice and comfortable bed with matching side table drawers, a cute sofa set and things I will need for the apartment. We also found nice plush chairs and some lamps to make the apartment not boring. I made sure I take note of the prices so that I’ll be able to inform my parents when I get home. We also went to an appliance store to check on some additional appliances since the apartment has some of the basics like the fridge, air conditioner and all that stuff.

We ate dinner shortly and went looking for clothes. Well, it was only Ji Sung, although I did find some nice shirts and clothes I can use for training. I also bought a sports bag, thanks to Ji Sung who is a school athlete, I managed to pick one of good quality. At the end of the trip, Ji Sung and I were tired from walking around. It was around 7:00 when we were done.

“So, did you everything listed?” She asked me as we took a break at a bubble tea stand.

I nodded and took a sip of the strawberry bubble tea I got. “Lamps, bed, sofa set, chairs, microwaves… Pretty much everything. Thanks, really, for accompanying me and for choosing the bag.” I smiled.

She gave me a high five. “No problem. And this peach bubble tea is really yummy!”

“I know a shop that also sells good bubble tea near the apartment.” I said. “Let’s go there one time, okay?”

Ji Sung left after finishing her bubble tea since she had to help out at the café, so I was left sipping my bubble tea alone. Then I remembered that I also had to buy Dad a gift since his birthday was in three days.

Just when I was about to go home, I thought. But since I am at the mall right now, I might as well buy something for him. The question is: What? I have zero experience on shopping for my dad, much less for men, so I started going in different shops, looking for “the” gift my dad would like.

“Hi.” I heard someone from behind. I looked around and spotted Ji Yong staring at me with an amused expression.

“Um… hi.” I said. “What are you doing here?”

He scoffs. “And where is your mystery date?”

“He’s a she, okay?” I whispered. “Why do you seem so bothered by it, anyway? It’s not like it’s your business…” I stared at him while he leaned away. “…Or is it?”

He looked sideways as I tried to hide my laughter. “O-Of course not! Why would I?”

I sighed. “Then I need your help.”

“What for?” He replied. I can’t believe I’m going to do this, but it’s for my dad’s gift and I’m willing to take the sacrifice.

“My dad’s birthday. It’s in three days and I have no idea on what to buy—“

Without letting me finish, he smirks then grabs my wrist.

Without thinking twice, I decide to actually trust him, hoping that this day won’t end in a disaster.