Moving On

It's Complicated

 

How many days has it been? Weeks, maybe? Anyway, things have been going pretty well ever since. I managed to balance everything and not fail at it, and now my parents and I are on our way to Hapjeong-dong to visit the apartment they keep telling me.

“…really nice place and I think the owner still remembers me…” Dad said while driving. Both of my parents are really excited about this, I must say. Earlier this morning, I told them that I’d be the one to visit since my Dad has to meet a client but he canceled this meeting just to accompany me. It’s not that I don’t want them to be trailing along with me, I just feel so blessed to have them at this point. I honestly thought they’d be against me when I said I’d start training again but they still supported me.

Anyway, moving on. We arrived shortly to this huge cream building which I assume is the place. It has a huge front garden and from afar, I can see a playground for kids and a mini park with gardens.

So this is where I’ll be living soon, I thought.

“Honey, are you okay?” Mom asked. “You seem tense.”

“No, not really! Are you sure about this?” I replied.

In response, Mom rubbed my back. “Yes, we are. We know how uncomfortable it is going on a long trip from our house for training and assuming that sooner, your practice hours will extend, we just have to do this.”

“Don’t worry about the money, Jiyonn,” my Dad said. “I know this place seems pretty expensive, but I don’t really want to let this opportunity slip by. Besides, we can always visit you from time to time.”

We arrived at the sixth floor, where the administration office was, and while my Dad was meeting with the manager, I went over to the balcony and looked around my future home.

Once again, I was at that part in life where you just wanted everything to stop for a while. Things have been happening really quickly recently. My relationship with my seniors is going well, sort of. Last time, we even had dinner together with Na Young and this choreographer. It’s all going well until I accidentally ran in to Ji Yong at the building one time. I don’t really know what was happening with me but as soon as I saw him, I felt really nervous, the guilty-nervous type. I gave him a low bow and greeted him. However, he only stood still and silent.

“I told you to stay away from me.” He said. I got up and looked at him. He looked as if he was in great pain. When I saw that, I immediately felt weak. It was the first time I've seen him like this and I may not know why he was like that, but I felt so bad about it.

“You never told me that.” I quickly replied. “I mean, you said you were the one who will be avoiding me.”

He smirks. “You’re so honest and straightforward.”

I didn’t know if that was meant to be a compliment or an insult, but I felt my cheeks getting warmer. “Sorry. I’ll be on my way now.” And that was it. At that time, I was hoping he’d answer back or something (please!), but I just heard his footsteps fading. Ever since then, I haven’t come across him on the building. Strangely, I started “looking” for him whenever I’d walk on my way to my practice room, or during afternoon breaks when I will hang out alone in the cafeteria. It’s like I’m following reverse psychology. Which all came down to the question:

Why was I doing this?

My inner conflict was interrupted when I heard Mom called and told me that we’d be checking out the unit. Dad introduced me to the manager and went back to the earlier conversation we had.

“I wasn’t really expecting you’d come here again. Your unit has been checked on by our maintenance and we’re sure it’s still in the perfect condition.” The manager said.

“Thank you, sir.” I replied, bowing. When we entered the unit, it was still empty of course, but it reminded me a little bit of home: peach-colored walls and everything.

“This has three rooms, each having its own bathroom, an island-type kitchen, balcony…” The manager trailed as I went around the place. I wasn’t in the mood for listening today so I went outside to the balcony and looked around.

“So, dear, how do you like it?” Mom asked. The bright afternoon sun made her look a few years younger and it sort of reminded me of myself, if it wasn’t for the situation I am in.

“It’s really, really nice, Mom. Thanks a lot.” I replied, giving her a hug. “I can’t thank you enough; you and Dad.”

She gently pushed me away and placed her hands on my shoulders. “You’re welcome, anything for you to be comfortable with you training.” I opened my mouth to reply but she immediately spoke again.

“Speaking of training, you seem pretty dazed today and the past days. Are you okay? Is something going on?” Okay so I believe in feminine intuition now.

“Nothing, really. It’s just, well…” Confusing. Stressful. “It’s going…” I was interrupted when Dad and the manager followed us.

“So, the ladies are having their heart-to-heart talk, eh?” Dad said, beaming.

I smiled back at him, trying my best to bury all these complicated emotions inside my head. “I guess so. Thank you so much guys. I feel really blessed.

Moving on, I finally have an apartment of my own! Well, it’s not really mine since the contract has my dad’s name on it, but I’ll be living in there, so it’s pretty much the same. I told my parents I’ll be having some “me time” at the bubble tea shop I saw across the street while they do some contract signing since Mom said I wasn’t the kind of person to listen to these things (and she is right).

As I was sipping happily on my strawberry bubble tea, I felt like someone was watching me from a distance. I stopped drinking and looked around the stop; it wasn’t that crowded but when my eyes landed on a guy wearing a brown hat looking at my direction, my heart skipped a beat.

That man cannot be him.

It can’t be.

Ji Yong.

I quickly looked away and gritted my teeth in frustration. The whirlwind of emotions in my head started coming back, but my heart was still beating rapidly and the plastic cup I had in my hands was starting to shake. I put it down and started tapping my fingers to regain my calm. After that, I felt my phone vibrate and taking it out, I see a message from an unregistered number.

I never knew you liked bubble tea. Especially strawberry bubble tea.

I dropped the phone in shock and looked back at him. Thankfully, he wasn’t looking at me but I know that he was the one who sent the message. I just had that feeling. But, wait. Isn’t he supposed to avoid me and all that crap? How come Ji Yong is now (probably) watching me drink bubble tea at Hapjeong-dong? If he thinks I’ll leave after reading this stalker-like text then he is wrong. I took my phone and strongly pressed the keys. Before I replied, I saved his number and replied.

To: Short man
Message: It’s my first time here, thank you. And of course I do like strawberry bubble tea. Now get lost. I thought you’re supposed to be a martyr of pain or something.

Ha, that’ll show him that I’m not leaving this place. I took some more sips of my bubble tea when my phone lighted up.

From: Short man
Message: Aigoo~ you’re so funny ㅋㅋㅋㅋ just so you know I come to this place regularly. And no, I’m not gonna leave yet; I came here a few minutes earlier than you. How about you get lost?

My mouth hung open at his reply. I was just going to type in my reply when another message came in.

From: Short man
Message: Try their kiwi and passion fruit bubble tea. Or their caramel bubble tea.

I couldn’t help but smile at his reply. To hide it, I bit my lip and looked around. Unfortunately, an elderly lady was looking at me with a strange face. I felt my face flush in red as I greeted her.

“Good day, Ma’am.” I said. Good thing she smiled back but she switched tables. From across the room, I heard someone snicker and i immediately looked at his direction. Stupid idiot laughing at me. Because of that, I grabbed my phone and angrily typed.

To: Short man
Message: What a gentleman, laughing at me. Then I’m not trying any of those drinks you have mentioned~

It wasn’t that long when he replied.

From: Short man
Message: I was just joking, okay? Aish, this girl doesn’t have any sense of humor! That’s a turn off for any man tsk tsk tsk…

And some more texts came after that.

From: Short man
Message: Just try it!!!

From: Short man
Message: Okay I’m leaving now

To be honest, when I read that, my heart sunk. It was quite nice to have a funny conversation with him. Before I knew it, I saw him stand up and quickly headed out, not even taking a glance at me. I was so engrossed with the conversation that I hardly realized that my bubble tea wasn’t as cold as it was now. I sighed and sent him one last reply.

To: Short man
Message: Are you sure it tastes good? I mean those drinks???

I finished the remainder of my bubble tea and patiently waited for his reply.

From: Short man
Message: If they don’t taste good, I will treat you to a strawberry bubble tea any day you want.

Without knowing it, a light giggle escapes from my lips. Now I’m sure some people are looking at me. But, I remembered that I shouldn’t be fooled by this midget of a senior’s messages. If he thinks I can be easily fooled, well, two can play at this game.

Before I left the shop, I ordered a kiwi and passion fruit bubble tea for my parents and one caramel bubble tea for myself. When i met my parents at the parking lot, they seem to have noticed the sudden change of my mood.

“Well, I’m glad someone’s all giddy and smiley today.” Dad said as he took a sip of his bubble tea.