Welcome to The Jungle!

How to Protect Your Heart

 


I stood across the mirror in the small room at the back of my bakery shop. Hmm, let’s check my hair; it’s clean and tidy. Thanks God, there were no traces of flour after I spent my whole afternoon baking with my assistants. I’ve changed my attire with a simple cream-colored short cocktail dress. Minah; my best friend helped me to set my hair while I was putting a soft natural make up on my face.

“Are you sure you want to go just like this, Jihyun-ah?”

“Yes. Lay said it’s only a semi formal party between his family members. So, I think simple look is enough,” I walked to the front door while grabbing my clutch and a box contained my freshly made cake.

“Wish me luck, Minah!”

“Yeah, enjoy the party! Don’t worry about the shop, I’ll make sure everything’s alright.” she said while waving her hands.

“Thank you!” I exclaimed while opening the front door.

 

I waited for Lay at the street side in front of my bakery shop. He supposed to come in five minutes. Lay was my boyfriend. First boyfriend actually; and I hoped that he would be my last too. I met him in my bakery shop; he was one of our loyal customers. I didn’t know that he had eye on me since the first time I opened this shop with Minah.

We started with acquainting each other’s then became closer until he asked me to be her girlfriend, one month ago. Lay persuaded me to go with him to a rooftop restaurant where a candle-light dinner happened with the accompaniment of violins music. I still blushed whenever I remembered his voice telling me that he loved me.

 

“Jihyun-ah!”

I heard a familiar voice calling me and turned. Lay was walking towards me in his grey suit. Whoa, he looked very handsome, like always. His slightly curl hair strands was fall at one side of his forehead. He flashed a smile which emphasized his cute dimples. The best dimples I have ever seen in my life. I wasn’t lying!

“Jihyun-ah, you’re so pretty!” he said while staring at me from head to toe.

“Thanks, oppa.” I smiled sheepishly.

I hope he didn’t see my blushed cheeks.

“Ready to go?”

I nodded. I’ve prepared for his mother birthday party since a week ago. I bought a new dress and learned a new recipe of fruit cake just for today occasion.

 

He pulled me to his fancy red car that he had parked. Lay started the engine besides me.

“Why do you wear a suit? You told me it would be a non-formal party,” I asked.

“Yes, it does indeed. I came here directly from work and this is the only clothes available in my office.” Lay explained while he steered the car.

 

“I’m very nervous to meet your parents today,” I sighed.

“Don’t worry. It’s just natural because this is your first time,” he smiled while keeping his gaze fixed to the road ahead.

I stared to my cake box that I held all the time, “By the way, is it true that your mother really likes fruit cakes?”

“Yes, sweetie. You’ve been asking that for a hundred times!” Lay chuckled.

“Don’t worry, okay?” this time he turned to me for a while and caressed my cheek.

I smiled at him with triumph. Lay didn’t know that I brought a special fruit cake for her mother’s gift in this box.

 

Not too long, we reached an up-class part of the city where every building was exquisite real estate. We arrived in front of a building with high and glossy steel-gate. The gate automatically opened while Lay driving through.

My mouth was opened wide when we entered a long way with vast green grass field with various color flowers on both right and left sides. The pathway was still long and I couldn’t see a house very clear until few minutes.

I finally could see a majestic house built with big pillars. There were gardens and marble patios around it. I was still dumbfounded. I didn’t know that my boyfriend was this rich. I thought he told me that he was an architect?

 

“Jihyun-ah! Let’s go!”

I startled when Lay’s face appeared beside me. He chuckled when he saw my reaction.

“Is this your house?” I asked when I stepped out from the car.

He smiled while he grabbed my hand, “It’s my current father house.”

 

“Huh?”

As far as I knew, Lay was fatherless. He said his father died when he was still a kid.

“It’s my stepfather’s house.”

My mouth formed an O-shape.

Lay was guiding me through a few big doors until we reached a large hall with many peoples roaming around.

“Welcome to our house!” he said while smiling widely, again with that dimple.

“This is a house?” I replied, “This could be a palace.”

 

There was a podium at one side of the hall with a tall and luxurious birthday cake at the front of it. Waiters were roaming between the guests with various dishes and beverages. To my surprise, no one who didn’t wear a suit or a long dress. I was the one who wore a cocktail dress. Not mention it was too simple compared to them all.

I looked again to the guests. The women had gorgeous hair style and make up. It obvious that they had went to the beautician and stylist before they came here. I looked like an outcast. I only prepared my appearance in the back room of my shop. I didn’t even take a bath.

“I’m sorry I never brought you here before Jihyun-ah. But this time I’ll introduce you to my family members.” Lay spoke.

I started to feel uncomfortable, “You said that this party is only a semi-formal family event, but-“

 

“Indeed, sweetie. Almost all of the guests are my family, close or distant relatives.” Lay smiled to me.

Uh-huh, if this was a semi-formal for them, well… they might be wearing wings and halos in a formal.

“Don’t worry Jihyun-ah, you look very pretty!” he assured me raising his thumbs up.

I felt relieved to see his smile, “Thank you, oppa!”

There was something about his smile. It had a magical effect for me. When I felt something wasn’t right, I just looked at his smile and it could calm my heart.

 

“Come here sweetie. I’ll introduce you to my family.” Lay hold my hand guiding me to one side of the hall.

“B-but,” I stuttered. I wasn’t ready yet!

“Just relax, Jihyun-ah,” said Lay while nodding towards people around us.

I saw many eyes looking at me with suspiciousness. People started whispering around while they shifted giving a way for us. Wasn’t it because I came with Lay or wasn’t it because of my appearance?

“That’s my family!” he pointed a bunch of people who stood at the corner.

They started to turn their faces to us while we were walking closer.

 

                                                                                             *             *             *


AN:

Hello readers! This is my second story!

Hope you like it. Tell me what do you think,

I'll appreciate it.