Aftermath

Tit For Tat

“Detective Lee?” Sungmin looked up and nodded at the blonde standing by the side of his table. He noticed many of the officers giving her curious looks- the Valenti Police Department cafeteria was the last place anyone would expect to find a model.

“Please, have a seat, Ms. Jung," he told her, gesturing to the seat across from him. She nodded and slid into the seat, brushing her bangs out of her face as she clutched her Gucci purse under one arm.

“It’s just Jessica,” she murmured. “I'm glad you agreed to meet with me, Detective.”

"Call me Sungmin. Is something bothering you?” he asked, even though he knew the answer. The two were barely acquaintances; they only knew each other through their mutual friendship with Jessica’s roommate, who happened to be Sungmin’s colleague.

Jessica nodded and took a deep breath, glancing over her shoulder as she did so. “You probably guessed, but…it's about Haruki.”

Haruki. He’d expected it, but the name still made his gut twist. He tried his best to keep his expression emotionless as he picked up his coffee to hide his face. “What about her?”

“Something's wrong with her,” Jessica replied. “It's been a year since…you know and I don’t think she’s gotten over it yet.”

“I hadn't noticed,” Sungmin replied. It was a lie; it was actually something that bothered him on a daily basis. He just didn’t want anyone else finding out.

Jessica gave him a look like she didn't believe it, either. “You hadn't noticed? You hadn't noticed how she talks even less now? You didn't wonder why she's still sitting in Evidence Management when she cares about her job more than...more than she cares about her life?”

“She told you about that?” Sungmin asked.

“She didn't. I heard about it from Donghae,” Jessica replied, missing how his jaw clenched slightly. “Everyone's worried about her, Sungmin.”

“What do you want me to do? You're her roommate,” the detective retorted.

“But you're her best friend,” Jessica pleaded. “She must have told you something.”

"I've tried talking to her,” Sungmin said casually. “But if she insists that she's fine, what can I do?”

“I don't know! I'm just scared for her,” Jessica cried in exasperation. “She gets up three times a night to check all the windows and doors. I've seen her hide her face whenever we go out in public.” Sungmin nodded in understanding. He had observed similar paranoid behaviors whenever she left work, such as peering through all her car windows before opening the door.

 “She's safe, isn't she?” Jessica asked softly. “Taemin's gone.”


The car pulled into the parking lot of the abandoned dentist’s office, sirens blazing, as several other police cars pulled in as well with the loud squeal of rubber on asphalt.

The entire ride had been tense. Jessica sat in the back alone, trying to remain as quiet as possible as not to bother the police chief and detective in the front. Siwon's hands had clutched the steering wheel so tightly, his knuckles had turned white. Chief Park had been conversing with the other detectives over his walkie-talkie, his constantly knuckle-drumming against the car door only adding to her agitation. Every once in a while, there had been a burst of static that Jessica couldn't quite make out, but she got the idea of the conversation. No one was close enough to know exactly how bad the situation was.

Even before the car stopped, she opened the door and jumped out, stumbling as she did so and gripping onto the window for support. As she moved towards the dentist's office though, Siwon had grabbed her by the shoulder.

 "You stay back,” he said tensely.

“But-”

“Stay still until we know what the situation is!” he snapped as he drew his gun. Jessica swallowed hard, clutching her jacket more tightly around her shoulders. She vaguely realized that she was shivering despite the sunshine.

A SWAT team climbed out of one car, scopes and rifles at the ready as Chief Park barked orders to the other detectives, who began forming a semi-circle, approaching the door to the dentist’s office slowly.

A gunshot rang out from inside the building. “Haruki!” Jessica screamed as Siwon held out his arm to stop her.

Chief Park nodded to one of the men- Yesung, she remembered his name was- who cautiously moved towards the door. He tried the handle. Unlocked. He pushed it open just a crack and poked the barrel of his gun inside. Siwon moved forward to cover him and Yesung peered inside. Upon seeing his hand relax its grip on his gun and the look of horror on his face, Jessica rushed forward and flung the door open. “Haruki?”

A chair with leather straps and surgical tools scattered all around it. Donghae and Taemin sprawled on the ground, blood pooling at their sides. Haruki, huddled in a soundless pile on the ground.

Jessica ran towards her, asking something, probably if she were okay, but the words echoed like white noise in her ears. Every step felt as if she were watching through someone else’s eyes and each click of her heels against the concrete rang like a gunshot. Someone shouted, “Clear!” and then her footsteps weren’t the only ones.

She dropped to her knees next to her roommate and wrapped her arms around Haruki’s shoulders, letting the older girl pillow her head against her new jacket. Dimly, the thought crossed her mind that the blood running into the fabric was ruining it and what a pity it was that she’d only worn it once, but instead, she pressed her sleeve against the gash on Haruki’s cheek to stop the bleeding.

She was aware of the police officers pouring into the room, Chief Park yelling something over his walkie-talkie, and a burning sensation in her eyes, which she forced back with the lump in .

Siwon knelt by her side and she watched as he reached for the gun in Haruki's hand, but the detective didn’t even seem to notice. He took her hand gently, attempting to pry it from her grip, but Haruki's hand was locked around it in a death grip.

Dimly, Jessica was aware of the shout of paramedics as she watched Donghae and Taemin carried out on stretchers. Not until the ambulance had vanished from sight did Haruki finally raise her head and stand up.

"Are you okay?" Jessica lamely asked again. What was she saying? Of course Haruki wasn't okay.

Siwon gently placed a massive hand on the girl's shoulder and squeezed it gently. “You did good, Haruki," he murmured. "You did the right thing. You should be proud.”

But the dead look in Haruki's eyes said quite the opposite.


Jessica shivered as she pulled herself out of her memories and looked up to see Sungmin watching her carefully.

“He’s in a straitjacket, under constant surveillance. Even if he’s not behind bars, it’s over,” he murmured, and she nodded.

“I know,” she replied. “I know he can’t hurt her, but I don't think she knows that. Isn’t there anything we can do?” Her shoulders slumped as Sungmin shook his head slightly.

“She'll have to come to terms on her own,” Sungmin replied. “We can only help her, but she needs to realize that herself.”


"Post-traumatic stress disorder,” Onew announced, pushing his glasses higher up on his face.

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow in disbelief. “That's it?”

“What do you mean ‘that's it’?” the criminal psychologist retorted. “PTSD is a serious and crippling disorder! A lot of Vietnam war vets in the literature-”

“Exactly,” the crime lab technician snapped. “Vietnam war vets. Compared to what they went through, Haruki's experience was like nothing!”

“She nearly died, Kyuhyun,” snapped Yoona, his senior colleague, as she filled up her water bottle. “Near-death experiences tend to be traumatic.”

“Even witnessing someone almost die can induce PTSD,” Onew added. “Studies have consistently shown that.”

“It’s been a year, though,” Kyuhyun said skeptically. “You really think she’s not over it yet?”

“People cope differently,” Yoona retorted. “And it’s not just because we’re women.”

Kyuhyun laughed as he raised his hands. “I didn’t say it.”

“I know that’s what you were thinking,” she huffed as she screwed the lid of her water bottle shut and stormed out of the room.

Kyuhyun shook his head as he turned to the psychologist. “Honestly. Every time Haruki’s name is mentioned around here, the conversation turns into a feminist issue.”

“She is the first female detective allowed in our department,” Onew said. “Many people believe she isn’t qualified for the job. There is a lot of pressure on her, and many see her…encounter with Taemin as evidence of her weakness. Some will put a political spin on it and…” He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

“Well, she’s one of the best in the department. Having two X chromosomes isn’t a disadvantage for her,” Kyuhyun replied, shrugging. “Have you talked to her? Do you know why she hasn’t come back yet?”

“I have tried,” Onew said, frowning as he adjusted his glasses again. “She won’t say anything.”

“I can’t imagine that she likes being in Evidence,” Kyuhyun said as he drained his coffee cup and tossed it in the trash. “See you around, Onew.”

Onew nodded as he removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes, frowning. Chief Park had asked him on multiple occasions to talk to Haruki and he’d attempted to, even though it wasn’t his field of expertise. He studied the behaviors and motivations of criminals; he wasn’t a therapist. He’d tried convincing her to see one, but she’d flat-out refused without giving him a explanation.

Initially, he’d believed that giving her time would be enough, at least for her to agree to get help. But Kyuhyun was right, a year was too long. He should talk to his friend, Yoochun, who was an expert of anxiety disorders and recommend that he pay Haruki a visit, even if she wouldn’t go see him. Or maybe…

Onew smiled slightly as a thought came to him. He unfolded his glasses, put them back on, and headed towards Chief Park’s office.


Haruki barely looked up as she raised a hand to bat away the next paper wad that came at her head. “Sorry, Morita!” Kim Jongin called, sounding completely unapologetic.

“Come on, Kai!” Lu Han bounced on the balls of his feet as he raised the bat in the air. “Throw me another one!”

"Batter up!” Jongin grinned and snatched up another sheet of paper, crumpling it into a ball.

They were actually more immature than Donghae. Haruki had never imagined that to be possible and now, she’d found a group of boys who seemed more than happy to prove that wrong. She shook her head as she leaned back in her chair and watched Lu Han swing at the paper wad and miss, his momentum carrying him around and around until he collapsed against a file cabinet and dropped the bat. She was feeling claustrophobic, and it wasn’t due to the mounds of unorganized boxes of evidence.

"My turn! My turn!” Byun Baekhyun jumped to his feet and jogged towards Lu Han.

"No, that’s already three outs! We’re switching teams!” Kris Wu announced as he switched places with Jongin and the others made a show of changing sides as well. “Hey, Morita! You want to play?”

“No.”

"Oh, come on! That evidence will get filed later-”

“No thanks to any of you,” she muttered under her breath.

“Have a little fun! Baekhyun, give her the bat,” Kris ordered. The other boy pouted as he reluctantly handed it to her.

“You know this is evidence, right?” Haruki snapped as she took it from him.

Zhang Yixing waved a hand as he helped Lu Han haphazardly stacked the files back on top of the cabinet. “This is stuff that’s going into storage that will never be looked at again. Who cares?”

A part of Haruki wanted to retort that cold cases could be opened again, that forensic evidence could still be found on these items, and that sometimes, people’s names were cleared. But she just didn’t have the energy to say anything as she stood up and reluctantly walked towards the folder they had designated home plate.

“Alright, everyone,” Kris called. “Move in.”

"You know how softball works, right?” Baekhyun asked. Haruki just nodded and tapped the bat against the folder twice before raising it over her shoulder.

Kris lobbed the paper wad at her with an easy, underhand toss and she swung the bat half-heartedly. The ball ricocheted off the wall and landed back at her feet. Lu Han laughed and Jongin whistled in admiration as the other guys clapped.

“Home run! Girl’s got game!” he grinned.

Haruki wordlessly handed the bat back to Baekhyun and headed towards the door. “Hey, Morita!” Kris called and she paused, even though she knew she’d probably regret it. “If you’re getting coffee-”

“I’m not getting coffee.”

Haruki was tired of working in Evidence and sick of the immaturity of the boys who were her new colleagues. She wanted to be out in the field again, watching suspects crack during an interrogation, slapping handcuffs on perps, and hauling them off to jail. She missed the adrenaline rush that came with breaking a case wide open.

But her (former) chief had made it quite clear that the only way she’d be allowed to get that back would be to open up to a complete stranger who would dissect her nightmares as callously as a medical student dissects a body. Her fingers subconsciously ran along the scar on her cheek. Didn’t he know she relieved those memories every single waking minute? She didn’t need someone telling her to toss them aside as easily as an old shirt; she couldn’t do it.

She felt her heart rate speeding up again.

No. Not now. She took a deep breath and walked briskly towards the women’s bathroom. Hold it together until you’re inside. Hold it together until-

Her phone rang and she pulled it out of her pocket, frowning at the name that appeared on her screen. “Yuri?” Her voice cracked as the breath she’d been holding burst out.

"Haruki! Hey, it’s good to hear your voice again! How are you?” came the warm reply on the other end.

"What is this about?” Haruki asked quietly. She was quite aware of Chief Park’s order that no one from the Forensic Investigations Department contact her until she returned. He claimed it was for privacy reasons but she knew coercion when she saw it.

Yuri’s voice immediately became serious and Haruki could almost see her nod. “I think you should go to the hospital.”

“Now? Why? Was someone injured?” Haruki asked. She spotted Lu Han coming out of the evidence room, his mouth opening to ask a question, and she gestured for him to be quiet.

"Yes. No. Well, sort of. I-”

“Who was it?” Haruki demanded.

“What’s going on?” Lu Han mouthed, but she just shook her head and turned away.

“I…”

"Yuri, what happened?”

There was a rustling sound before Yuri’s partner in the Crime Scene Unit, Taeyeon, snatched up the phone. “Just go see for yourself, Haruki.”

Haruki stared down at the phone, feeling a chill run up her spine. Her legs were numb and her fingers slowly growing cold. Lu Han looked concerned, which was bad, because she knew that he was reading her face like an open book. She struggled to bring it back under control. 

“Are you okay?”

"Fine,” she said shortly, tearing off her Latex gloves and tossing them into the nearest trashcan. “I just need to go out for a little bit. I’ll be right back.”

Jongin poked his head through the door. “If you’re going to get coffee-”

“I’m not getting coffee!”


“Excuse me.” The guard at the front desk looked up as Haruki approached. “I’m here to see…” The guard raised an eyebrow as she shrugged helplessly.

"Haruki!” The detective jolted at the sound of the familiar voice and turned to see her former partner, Donghae, sprinting towards her. “You’re here!” He nodded to the guard. “It’s okay, sir, she’s with me.”

“Please sign in,” the guard told her, pushing the visitor’s log across the counter and handing her a badge. Haruki scribbled in her name and hurried off after Donghae.

“Our last case,” she said finally. “It’s happening again, isn’t it?”

“Sort of,” Donghae replied.

"Did he escape, or-”

“You made it!” Haruki barely had time to blink before a tall, wavy-haired brunette had tackled her in a hug. “When are you coming back to work, Haruki? We’ve missed you so much and-”

Donghae cleared his throat, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. “Uh, ladies? Now’s not the best time for a reunion.”

“Right. He’s in here.” Yuri gestured towards a room down the hall.

He? That couldn’t be right. The Lobotomist, also known as Lee Taemin, had been the last case Haruki had investigated before her forced leave. He targeted lonely, single girls and he had a talent for manipulating them into trusting him. She was intimately acquainted with his M.O.- after all, she had nearly become one of his victims. It was only when he’d kidnapped her and was on the brink of cutting up her prefrontal cortex with an ice pick that she had found out she’d been his intended target all along. The other murders had just been for show, to give her a taste of what was to come.

He’d been punishing her, punishing the whole city, for rejecting him. She’d turned him into a monster.

Yuri pushed open the door and Haruki cautiously entered, feeling her heart pounding violently in . She closed her eyes, trying to push away the memories of the last time she’d been at this hospital. It had been right after her kidnapping; she’d come to visit Donghae, who had nearly died trying to save her.

As if reading her thoughts, Donghae squeezed her shoulder gently. Haruki pulled away from him and walked straight up to the patient lying in the bed, swathed in white sheets and blankets.

The patient turned at the sound of her footsteps and Haruki gasped before she could stop herself, taking a step back in horror.

“Noona…” Taemin whispered, reaching a hand towards her and beaming. There were the too-familiar bruises around his eyes; he’d been lobotomized.

“H-how did this happen?” Haruki stammered.

"He was attacked in his room at the institution,” Yuri replied. “The nurse found him like this when she went to give him his meds. Taeyeon stayed there to photograph the crime scene.”

Taemin made a whimpering sound as he looked fearfully at the two people behind Haruki. Donghae was glaring at him, while Yuri didn’t know whether to look relieved or troubled. “Noona,” he whined a little more insistently.

Haruki watched as he transformed from the hateful serial killer she had nearly shot to the nervous, young rookie she had befriended on his first day at work. She moved to his bedside and took his hand gently, her heart tugging as his face lit up. Not for the first time, she realized just how young he was.

“Noona,” he said again and she heard the echoes of the smile he’d had whenever he visited her office.

She squeezed his hand and traced the bruises around his eye with her thumb. “I’m going to find who did this to you, Taemin,” she whispered so quietly that Donghae and Yuri couldn’t hear her. “I promise.”