Yunho and BoA

Only One: Interlude

AN: This is BoA and this is Yunho.

*

'Manager oppa?'

'Is this BoA?'

'Yes, I have a favor to ask you. Listen carefully..'


- - -

BoA almost couldn't sleep that night. Her mind was occupied by Yunho. 

This wasn't the first time. 

Starting from a couple of years ago, there has been some sleepless night where she finds herself wide awake and just thinking about Yunho. It's either she's replaying past memories they shared together or that she's all worked up thinking of new ways to bully him or even coming up with stories she wanted to tell him next time they meet.. It didn't matter if it was a serious issue or a completely outrageous one. As long as both of them can talk, that's all that matters. 

She rolled at her side and suddenly remembered their most recent memories. He took the time to participate in her movie. It touched her when he guested during her WinWin episode. And when he agreed to be her partner during Only One, it made her really happy. 

'But I don't appreciate the fact that he taught me the wrong Thai greeting during an SM Town interview!' She hissed then smiled. 

There were just so many memories they shared together. That's why when she couldn't reach him for two whole weeks, she felt terrified. She didn't know then but now, she understood those fears. She was afraid to be away from him. To suddenly be detached from that bond that connected them together. Just thinking about being apart from him was excruciating. 

'Then why did you reject him that day?' She asked herself. She hugged herself and remained silent. To be honest, she didn't have a concrete answer to that. She thought it was the most rational thing to do back then. They were bestfriends... How can they so suddenly break that friendship and enter a new stage? It was too sudden, too unexpected... 

But if it was the right decision in order to protect that friendship, then why was it bothering her so much now. As if what she did then was a grave mistake?

BoA closed her eyes and thought for a moment. Answers will definitely dawn on her if only she can see him again..

- - -

Changmin yawned as soon as he took his seat by the windows.  He sat comfortably, preparing to take a little nap when he noticed Yunho looking so somber. 

'What's with the ugly face?' Yunho didn't reply. He continued staring into nothingness as if unable to hear anything. 'Ugly Yunho! Ugly Yunho! Ugly--'

'Hey!' He snapped finally out of his reverie. 'Call me hyung! You ungrateful little kid!'

'Oh, you reacted to that instead of the ugly part?' He chuckled. 'What's wrong with you? You don't look good'. 

'Aish!' He groaned. 'Why are we going to Japan of all days! I don't want to go there right now!'

'Why? It's not as if you'll go to the same program as BoA-noona,' Changmin replied sounding so nonchalant about it. 'You heard our Manager.'

'But it happened so suddenly! Informing us so late in the evening and all don't you think it's a little strange?'

The younger guy snorted. 'What I think is that you're just over thinking stuff.'

Yunho thought for a moment. 'I.. I guess you're right. Sorry. I'm just really on the edge the past few days..'

'Who wouldn't after being dumped..'

Yunho's eyes widened and grabbed a pillow to throw at his partner. 'You little..!!! I hope you never marry!' The two just laughed ending their little ruckus. 

After a few hours, they finally reached Japan, fought their way against the crowd of people (who still managed to know they were coming) and reached their hotel. 

'Don't you want to have early dinner with me, Changmin?'

'Uh, you go ahead, I have stuff to do and I need to talk to Manager-hyung.'

Yunho looked curious but didn't push the topic further. At 6pm, the duo made their way to the studio of Music Station. They made their way and surprised a few of the guest who didn't expect they were coming. 

'Why are they so surprised?'

'Well, it was, afterall, a last minute thing,' Changmin answered as calmly as possible. He looked around and saw their manager who just nodded his head in encouragement. The duo talked to a few people and watched the guests who performed until it was time for them to perform their new Japanese single 'I Know'. Apparently, they will be promoting it. 

Yunho was still feeling anxious for some reason. He kept looking around, half dreading to spot a petite young lady with the cutest dimples. He never saw who he was looking for though, and it gave him more of a disappointment than anything. He turned his gaze back to the stage.

Namie Amuro just finished her performance, Yunho clapped his hands absentmindedly, still caught up with his own thoughts. As she was exiting the stage, a soft piano started playing in the background. It was vaguely familiar until the main melody started playing. It was the melody for 'Love in the Ice'. 

'Are we performing next?' Yunho asked his partner, a bit perplexed. 

'I guess so,' Changmin simply said with a smile, his eyes looked thoughtful. 

'But this isn't the song!  We didn't even practice for this!' Now, the older guy was panicking. When he looked around, he noticed how all of the guests were already looking their way but strangely, it's for a different reason. Somebody touched his shoulder from behind and there she saw BoA in a white dress, her loose curls draped against her shoulders. Then, he noticed the song transitioned into the melody of 'Only One' and before he could process what was happening at that time, the girl held his hand and made their way to the stage. 

'You’re only getting farther – you’re the only one
As much as I loved you, you’re the only one
It hurts and hurts and it’s foolish but good bye
Though I may never see you again, you’re the only one
Only one'


Yunho stared at BoA, speechless. She sang her part and looked his way occasionally. She anticipated that Yunho may not be able to follow the song due to the unexpected turn of events but he lifted his mic and started singing his lines. Hearing his voice so close to her was like a spell that deemed her numb for any other emotion except for her unspoken feelings for him. 

'It′s not your fault those hands are freezing
Borne from those childish days, you carry the scars
Are you afraid to love someone?
You pretend not to see the other side of the words'


When they reached the chorus part, Yunho's voice was steadier and the two sang the lyrics together. Their emotion flowed that the guests were left mesmerized by it, unable to tear their eyes away from the couple on the stage. 

Changmin watched silently. The magic between the two of them were so clear. It's not the type of chemistry built by time through their long history of friendship. This moment was beyond that. This moment was an evolution of that friendship. They destroyed a bond only to build a stronger one. This was how it's supposed to be. 


'My love, good bye now – you’re the only one (you’re the only one)
Even at the moment we break up, you’re the only one
It hurts and hurts and it’s foolish but good bye
Though I may never see you again,
you’re the only one'


Yunho turned so he can directly gaze at BoA. Their eyes met and the both held on to that stare. She stood silently waiting. 

'Everyone is searching for a place
That can heal their sadness and loneliness
So... for you, that place is here
Don′t be afraid, don′t hesitate anymore, because I′ll protect you'


Her heart ached as Yunho sang those lines. It's true that she's been swayed before. She thought she finally found love, only to be heartbroken in the end. Shattered, lonely and empty. Those were the feelings that ate her during those dark moments. She struggled to be out of it. She kept on searching for that one person who can lift her up, all the while missing the one person already in front of her.

It took her all these years.. That one fateful Valentine's Day.. This very song, to realize what she was missing all along.

And then at that moment, it felt like the two of them were the only ones who stood on the stage. It was their song but it was also Yunho's confession.

It wasn't the sweet melody that moved her, it was the words that did. His pure intention through this song was like gravity that pulled her down and acknowledge her true feelings. 

Only One was her desperate voice and Love in the Ice was his answer to those cries. 

When will my head erase you? (I will let you go)
One day, two days, one month, if long term then a few years (My baby can’t forget)
And someday in your memories,
I won’t live in it, you will erase me


'For anyone to be loved by someone,
Makes life in this world shine
If it was me, I′d make your heart warm once more
With eternal tenderness

My heart is pained
Because this love is so beautiful, don′t be afraid
Even if it′s just momentarily, I′ll let you know my love
This time is beautiful, you know... let you know my love'


'You're the only one..'

'You're the only one..'

They both ended as the piano played a prolonged instrumental before finally fading out. 

The lights dimmed before completely blacking out. In return, something in her heart sparked. 

- - -

'BoA-unnie!' Seohyun exclaimed when she opened the door of their dressing room and was greeted by their group's idol. 

Sooyoung popped out behind Seohyun to see who it was. When she saw BoA, her uneventful encounter with her idol flashed before her eyes. Her face turned completely red. After apologizing again, she hastily left the scene. 

'Uhm.. I'm sorry.. She's just very embarrassed right now,' Seohyun offered. 

'It's okay, by the way, I brought him.' From behind, Yunho stepped out and greeted the younger girl much to her surprise. 'I thought that maybe Tiffany would like his autograph, too. Or maybe I'm just thinking way ahead by myself?'

'No no no! Of course not! I mean, yes, she would love that but no, you're not thinking ahead of yourself. All the unnies are at the lounge. Come in.' Seohyun turned around too fast and missed how BoA grabbed Yunho's hand and made their way together hand in hand.  

The nine girls were seated at one side, all crammed together while Yunho and BoA seated across them. There was an awkward silence. 

BoA gestured towards Yunho with a smile. 'You should treat the girls to dinner because they were really rooting for you as my most eligible boyfriend.'

'Is that so?' Yunho looked expectantly at his juniors. It was quite a sight. Their mouths hanged open, shocked beyond words by BoA's bold statement. 

'BoA-unnie! It was careless for me to have said some stuff before but the girls aren't to be blamed! It was all me!' Sooyoung said defensively. She felt like fainting. 

'That's not what I heard if my memories are correct. Yuri admitted she was even betting on us and YoonA was even on the bandwagon.'

There was a slight commotion between the girls, probably coming up with a way to cover up the situation. 

'It's okay. It's wrong for me to have stayed and listen during your private conversations..' BoA offered. 

'It.. It was the truth, though..' Taeyeon finally voiced out. 'We really admire the two of you. After we heard Only One: Interlude, all the members just couldn't help but think it was a confirmation of your feelings for one another..' She explained further just like what a real leader would do. 'But it was our thoughts, it shouldn't affect your personal judgement in anyway.'

Yunho chuckled. 'I'm a genius for setting this up! Admit it BboA!' his companion elbowed him at the sides. 'What! That was my plan anyway.'

'Plan..?' Tiffany choked.  

BoA looked at the nine girls guiltily. 'Ah. Sorry Seohyun, unnie lied earlier. I wasn't here to give you Yunho's autograph. I'm here to tell you all personally that, well..'

'Tell us what..?' Sooyoung inquired, curiosity overtaking her. 

'Well.. You could say that we finally ended up together afterall. ' Yunho nodded in agreement.

Tiffany dropped the CD she was holding. There was a brief silence before all of them roared with excitement! All nine crowded around them, giving BoA hugs and their congratulations. 

'Finally! Finally!' Hyoyeon and Sunny both cheered. 

'I told you they were our fans,' BoA smirked. 'I really wanted to tell you this personally because after over hearing you talk about the two of us, it made me realize about a lot of things. In a way, you helped me sort out my feelings.'

'Thank you,' Yunho echoed.

'We don't plan on announcing it so publicly. They'll just have to figure it out by themselves. It's not like we'll hide it anyway.'

'We'll support you all the way!' The nine announced all smiles. 

After a couple more chats, Yunho and BoA finally left. They have another stop to make that day... 

'Ahjumma!' Yunho and BoA boomed as they made their way at the counter. The older lady didn't miss the fact that the both came in hand in hand. 

'Here, I brought some cake!' She said cheerfully. The three seated at the corner of the room and started munching on their dessert. BoA baked it herself. Someone's always surprised whenever she says that. They chatted a few minutes when the old lady took her leave. As if to improve the already good atmosphere, the owner started playing Only One: Interlude. 

The two listened silently, enjoying the moment. It was their song, the proof of their feelings for one another. It's amazing just how many people were touched by it as well, and even more amazing how this very song brought them together. 

Their love that was eternal, their love story of forever. 

The two looked at each other with a content smile etched on their faces. If happiness can ever be defined, it will definitely be the description of this very moment for the two of them. And if it can be measured, they're afraid that they would probably need a lifetime of togetherness to prove that. 

END.

 

*

 

Author's  Notes:

Well, that was lame... |||OTL

The beginning and end was fine but the middle part, the one where Yunho and BoA performed was just sooo lame. I could've gone and narrate and describe the scene instead but nooooo!!!! I just have to include the lyrics and it ended up too cheesy, so out of place and.. Ugh! I don't know. This is not even a songfic 3 But if I hadn't done that, I couldn't emphasize just how those two songs blended together. Heck, that's why it was the theme of this fic. LOL. Such mixed feelings... Good thing I was able to insert SNSD at the end <3

But enought rambling.

For all those cool people who read and befriended me, I really am grateful for you guys! I wouldn't enjoy AFF as much as I do now without you! HAHA! I'll be posting more YunBoA fics so I hope you can come back and check them. Thanks for sticking with me til the very end. Mwah~

lyrics (c) kpoplyrics.net || asianpopcorn.com