Valentine's Day: Rewind

Only One: Interlude

BoA sat quietly by herself at the corner of the restaurant. Why she ended up there, she didn't know. 

She thought that she will never grace this place ever again. That the last time would be during that eventful Valentine's Day yet, her body defied every rule she had set for herself and now she's back. 

She was so lost until her own song started playing in the background. The soft melody of the piano filled the whole place. She heard her own voice. And then she heard his voice. Their voices melted into one, singing two different melody but with the desire to be heard as one. 

It was so beautiful, that she was moved to tears. 'How can you even think of something like this?!' She grunted. 'So cheesy..' She mumbled, smiling. The song ended and was now replaced by a different tune. She recovered herself and sat quietly by herself, thinking. 

'Uhm, Ms. BoA?' The petite girl looked up and saw a middle aged lady with a calm smile.

'Yes?'

'Here..' The lady handed her a blank CD. 'I believe this is yours.'

'I'm sorry but I think you made a mistake..'

The lady just smiled at her. She didn't have any intention of getting it back. 'It's yours. You'll know when you listen to it. ' With that, the lady took her leave. BoA was even more confused than ever. 

After another hour, she decided to collect herself and head home. She needed to take at least a quick rest before her flight tomorrow for her Japanese promotions. 

She got in the car, shivering. As she waited for the car to warm up, she decided to listen to the CD the lady gave her earlier. She didn't have any recollection of ever owning this CD but since it's already in her possession, might as well check it out. 

She was surprised that it actually played her song, or more accurately, their song. As she listened she can't help but admire Yunho's beautiful voice. Everything about him was just so wonderful and again, she can't help but be thankful for always having him by her side. For more than 10 years, he was the only friend that never left her side. 

When the song ended, she anticipated for her other songs to play when another surprise presented itself. 

It wasn't another song track but instead, a  recorded message from her bestfriend. 

'For years, I've thought long and hard just how I'll be able to convey my sincerest feelings for you. Finally I've found a way through this song. Did you listen to it BoA?' 

There was a long pause. She waited some more and when she felt like there wasn't anything that followed his speech she was ready to click the skip button when his voice resonated again. 

'BoA,' his deep voice called out as if he were by her side right now. ' The song was my most sincere feelings for you. Your journey may have been long and painful but I want you to know that you can always turn to me.. I'll be here to protect you.. To take away any of your sorrows. Always, if you'll just accept my heart..'

After hearing the last words, she dashed out of her car, back in the restaurant. She spotted the lady immediately behind the counter reading some notes. 

'Ahjumma!'

The lady smiled before lifting her head to meet BoA's eyes. 'Did you listen to the CD?'

BoA nodded furiously. 'But how.. I don't understand how you got a hold of it and--'. 

'Hush, I'll tell you everything. Wait for me over there,' the lady said and BoA complied without another word. The old lady brought two mugs of hot chocolate for them to enjoy. 

BoA patiently waited, her heart thumping so violently against her chest but the lady just sat across her smiling. 'Ahjumma.. Please just tell me..' She finally said breaking the silence.

'Ms. BoA, it should have never been in my possession at all, the CD.' She began. Her calm voice seemed to have calmed even BoA's nerves. 'My only part was to play it one Valentine's day for this couple. Unfortunately, that never happened. And as if a forgotten piece of memory, the man who left this never came back for it,' she continued. 'I can somehow figure out why..' 

BoA bit her lip and hid her face. She knows this story. She knows who this couple was.

'Did you know, the young man came here for three straight weeks in January begging me to reserve this place for one night? I never intended giving in to him but one day he came to me and said this: Ahjumma, I waited 10 years for me to build the courage to confess to her.. I only have one heart and I only have her to give it to. Please don't deprive me of this chance.. Just one night.. Please let me borrow this place..'

The younger lady held her breath. This was the first time she was hearing this. As if his schedule wasn't bad enough, he still had the time to come here everyday?

'After I said yes, he didn't come as often as he did before but when he did, he always tells me about different stories. He told me that he's been flying back and forth between Japan and Korea for a personal project. When I asked him about what it was, he simply said that it was a secret.' The old lady laughed, remembering. 'And finally it's Valentine's Day. He called me around  noon. He told me that he'll be coming before 7pm to prepare some stuff. When I asked him why he sounded so weak, he confessed that he just came back from Japan and never had a decent rest prior to that day.' Now, the old lady's voice sounded so solemn, almost apologetic. 'When I told him he should consider taking a quick nap, he just dismissed my advice and simply said that if he wanted everything to be perfect, he would need to push himself even beyond his limits.'

'That stupid Yundol..' She breathed wiping some tears. 

The lady held her hand lightly before continuing. 'But everything was perfect. He came earlier than expected. He checked the dishes to be served. He personally cleaned the tables, he bragged about the wine that will be served at dinner and he specifically told me to play the CD when the time was right.' The lady fell silent all the while. And they both knew why. BoA can't bring herself to utter even a single word. 

'But that magical night never happened..'

BoA buried her face in between her palms and cried. 'I'm so sorry Yunho.. I'm so sorry... Ahjumma... What do I do now?! I can't believe this..' She cried. 

'Sweetie, it's not your fault if you weren't ready that time. He doesn't blame you, nobody blames you..'

'But I hurt him, terribly..!'

'You would hurt him even more if you took him out of pity instead of sincerity.' The lady tried to soothed her but BoA's shoulders just continued to tremble. 'But if I ask you now, would you be able to tell me if your feelings have changed?'

BoA looked up and considered answering when she stopped. 'If there has been, I think Yunho should hear it first..'

The old lady nodded in understanding. 'Then I guess you should do it quick!' She stood up and hugged BoA. 'I wish you nothing but happiness.'

BoA returned the embraced and then start for the door. 

'And one last thing!' The lady called out. BoA stopped for a while to hear her out. 'He loved the cake you brought that day. He ate everything by himself.'

She frowned. 'We were supposed to share that!' She mumbled then smiled. 'Thanks ahjumma! Next time, I'll bring you some cake as well.' She bowed and dashed outside. 

This time, the cold couldn't bother her anymore. 

 

*

 

Author's Note:

Ah! Finally the wheel is in motion!

It has been a rollercoaster ride for our girl. Nothing was easy for BoA. But as she discovered more and more about people's thoughts about her and her relationship with Yunho, hopefully she'll be able to sort out her own feelings. Maybe her feelings have changed. For better or worst, we still don't know.. But the two events she experienced within that day together with SNSD and the kind ahjumma definitely made an impact on her. Yikes!!!!

Next update -- FINALE.