Journal 2

The Journal Entries

M/V Reference:

 

 

 

Tae Yang sat there for the longest time ever. He slowly played the song he composed since he was in high school. This song was only dedicated to his loved one – his childhood friend and first love. He stopped playing and recalled the first time he met her – Sandara Park.

 

It was a special day today. It was a song he specially composed for her and she would love it because he, Dong Young Bae, was the first guy to ever written a song for her. The wedding would be in few weeks’ time and he could not wait any longer.

 

He had waited to see his loved one in a wedding dress for the longest time. He knew she would look beyond beautiful. And after this very day, she would be the happiest girl around. The thought of it made him smile with joy.

 

Once the music ends, you’ll be with him forever
I prayed and prayed that this day wouldn’t come
The wedding dress you once wore

 

“Hey, Young Bae,” Ji Yong, also nicknamed as G-Dragon nudged his elbow and pointed at the girl sitting on the other end of the classroom. Tae Yang and G-Dragon were their stage names. They performed at clubs and events regularly to earn a living. Tae Yang removed his earpiece to listen to his friend speak.

 

Ji Yong became cheeky and whispered, “Isn’t our classmate pretty? I think it’s love at first sight!”

 

Narrowing his eyebrows, Tae Yang was indifferent and went back to listen his songs, “She’s okay. It’s just a regular girl with eyes, nose and mouth.”

 

Rolling his eyes at his friend, Ji Yong stood up and started approaching the girl. He bowed like a gentleman and offered his hand for her to shake. Fortunately, the girl was friendly enough to return it and was approachable. Ji Yong found out her name was Sandara, Dara for short, and made friends with her quickly.

 

Tae Yang looked up briefly to see his friend acting all shy and nervous until he spotted the girl glancing at him. He blinked his eyes and went back to look at the scenery outside the window. “She’s weird,” Tae Yang commented.

 

Maybe it was because of her looks or her sudden closeness to Ji Yong, girls got jealous of her and did not mix around with her much. Ji Yong started asking her to eat together with the two of them and even hanging out together after school. Dara would go along to see them perform. Tae Yang complained to Ji Yong a lot about having a girl with them was a nuisance but Ji Yong sympathised with Dara so there was not much Tae Yang could do. After one month, Dara seemed to notice Tae Yang’s uneasiness around her. As Ji Yong left the table to buy food, Dara pushed some candies to Tae Yang across the table. Tae Yang looked at her questionably and asked curtly, “What’s that for?”

 

“Candy… for the throat,” Dara answered. Before she started talking again, she scrutinised his face, “Well, I heard you sing last night. Your throat isn’t its best condition. This candy… I always have it whenever I have a bad throat.”

 

Tae Yang merely stared at her and then, at the candies which were right in front of him. Dara cleared and blushed while pulling the candies back, “It’s okay. I guess you don’t need…”

 

 He grabbed onto her hand and stared at her again, emotionless, “I could use some candy.”

 

Dara smiled and removed her hand. Tae Yang took the candies and popped one into his mouth after removing the wrapper. Dara looked down after he ate the candy, “I have more if you want. You can tell me if you want more.” After that incident, Tae Yang realised how much of an angel she was and how much her presence made him dizzy and his heart went wild.

 

After four months, Dara and Tae Yang became closer. Even though they went out as three, Dara would sneak peek at Tae Yang and be interested in everything he did. Tae Yang also sent messages to even though they went out together. However, Ji Yong still thought they were still awkward with each other, and he was still harbouring a crush towards Dara.

 

“Young Bae.”

 

“What?” Tae Yang was using his laptop with full attention before Ji Yong decided to break the silence in the room.

 

“I think I really like Dara.”

 

Tae Yang stopped scrolling the mouse and bit his lips in anxiety. Why was he feeling like that? If it was before, he would be happy for his friend and urged him to confess. This time, his heart felt queasy and uncomfortable, wanting to deny the fact that both of them liked the same girl. He composed himself and asked, “Are you going to confess?”

 

“Should I?”

 

Tae Yang thought for a moment as Ji Yong waited for his reply, “Young Bae? Are you there?”

 

“No.”

 

“What?”

 

“I mean… You shouldn’t confess.” Tae Yang’s back was facing Ji Yong so fortunately, Ji Yong could not see his expression.

 

Ji Yong was surprised at his answer, “Why not?”

 

“Because,” Tae Yang tried to come up with a valid reason but he just snapped, “You might end up scaring her! She’s too ignorant. Maybe you should wait.”

 

Ji Yong nodded and his silence made Tae Yang nervous. Before Tae Yang could add another sentence, Ji Yong agreed, “You’re right. Dara’s not ready. I should wait for a more appropriate time.” Tae Yang sighed in relief before feeling Ji Yong gripped his shoulder, “Thanks, my friend.”

 

There was once three of them went for a run together and Dara was struggling to catch up with the two boys. Being a fast runner, Ji Yong got carried away and ran without waiting. Tae Yang kept turning around and waited for Dara. Suddenly, she tripped and fell. “Dara!” Tae Yang shouted in shock and ran towards her, “You’re bleeding!”

 

“No, I’m alright…” Dara was pale.

 

Tae Yang did not wait for her words and carried her with his arms easily. She was light but Dara felt embarrassed, “Young Bae, we’re in public. Put me down, I can walk!”

 

“Look, I’m here to catch your fall so stop whining,” Tae Yang snapped and continued walking. Dara fell silent as she felt a sense of security in his arms, she could no longer complain as she felt safe. Tae Yang misinterpreted her silence for fear and toned down his voice, “What I mean is… I’ll always be there to catch your fall – even if you trip another hundred times.”

 

Time passed really quickly as they were preparing for their graduation as it was nearing prom. It was the best time for it. Sitting in the same bus after the outing they had together as three, Tae Yang sent her home since they lived near. Tae Yang popped the question, “Would you be my girlfriend?”

 

“What?” Dara asked.

 

“Would you be my girlfriend?”

 

“What?”

 

Tae Yang got pissed and shouted in the bus, “Argh, I like you, dammit!”

 

Dara scanned the surroundings to find people staring at them. She bit her lips nervously and nodded her head. Tae Yang’s furious expression turned into smiles. Looking at the scenery outside, he slowly intertwined his fingers with hers, feeling like the happiest man ever.

 

Suddenly, Dara’s phone rang. She jolted and removed her hand in panic and picked up the phone, “Hello, Ji Yong.”

 

Tae Yang stiffened as he heard his best friend’s name. He felt guilty for a moment. He knew Ji Yong liked Dara but never told him that he had the same feelings. He was afraid Ji Yong would call him a betrayer and their friendship would be over. Tae Yang tried to listen to their conversation. It mostly consisted of Ji Yong asking whether Dara had reached home and if she needed help with schoolwork.

 

“Dara, I like you.”

 

“Eh? Ji Yong…”

 

“I like you ever since I have first talked to you.”

 

“Ji Yong, let’s talk tomorrow.”

 

Dara put down the phone. Tae Yang did not need to ask to know what happened. Ji Yong had confessed to her. And then, his phone rang.

 

“Young Bae, she rejected me…”

 

Guilt was creeping onto him unconsciously. Tae Yang swallowed his saliva and replied, “Ji Yong, let’s talk tomorrow.”

 

Without a word, as if Ji Yong suspected what was happening, he ended the call. Dara and Tae Yang remained silent on the bus, not wanting tomorrow to come.

 

“I’ll wish you two all the best,” Ji Yong said as Tae Yang met him in the morning, sitting on the bench with the drinks in their hands, “I feel betrayed… but… but if it’s you, I’m okay with it.” Ji Yong drank his can of soft drink and stood up, “Promise me. Promise me you’ll treat her like a princess.

 

 

 

“Young Bae!” Ji Young shouted as he hugged his best friend, “Thank you for coming to the wedding. I thought you wouldn’t appear!” Ji Yong looked like the happiest man on Earth, wearing his white suit and styled his hair for the special day.

 

“Of course, I would come to my two best friends’ wedding.” Tae Yang smiled with all his might and gripped his shoulders, “Promise me. Promise me to treat her like a princess.”

 

 

 

“Dong Young Bae! How could you do this to me? You promised!” Dara yelled and sobbed at the same time, “You freaking sleep with her! You slept with her! How could you? She’s my friend and you’re my boyfriend!”

 

You, who never understood my feelings
Because of that, I ended up despising you
Then I wished a misfortune upon you

 

Tae Yang flipped the table and shouted back, “It was not on purpose! I told you multiple times she seduced me to bed!”

 

“And you happily let her do it? You mean you can ‘accidentally’ crawl to her bed?” Dara said sarcastically but her tone was breaking apart.

 

“Aish, Sandara Park!” Tae Yang was about to slap her face but a fist landed on his face instead. He looked up to see Ji Yong throwing more punches at him, “Don’t. Ever. Hit. A. Woman. You. Bastard.” Every word Ji Yong said equalled a punch on Tae Yang’s face. Before he could land another, Dara pulled Ji Yong away.

 

“I trusted you, Dong Young Bae. I trusted you with her but you broke your promise!” Ji Yong gritted his teeth and growled, “Because of that, I’ll make sure I’ll fulfil the promise myself.” Tae Yang knew it was all over for him as he saw his best friend holding her, “Let’s go, Dara.”

 

Baby, please don’t hold those hands
Cuz you should be my lady
Please look at me, I’ve been waiting all this time

 

Months passed and Dara had forgiven Tae Yang for his mistakes, to Ji Yong’s disapproval. However, Dara knew Ji Yong missed Tae Yang as a friend badly so she mended the friendship between the two. Three of them became friends again… before Ji Yong confessed to Dara. Dara accepted his love and shared the news with Tae Yang.

 

Covering his sadness with playfulness, Tae Yang jumped for joy and hugged the both of them, feigning happiness by wiping fake tears off his face. Seeing the way Ji Yong treated Dara with care and tenderness made him realised how bad of a boyfriend he was. All he did was give her a cold shoulder, taking her for granted while she loved him with her all.

 

But now, my eyes are dry
I try to talk to you but I realized that I’m alone
Every night, I would look back and think
If I already knew the results
Then I close my eyes
Then I dream an endless dream
Then I pray she would leave his side

 

 

Tae Yang walked slowly towards the room he dreaded the most. However, his footsteps were following his heart’s desires. With hesitance, he opened the door. Behind the door was his girl – Sandara Park, in her dream wedding dress. He remembered Dara describing her dream wedding dress to her. He remembered it all but he was not the one to fulfil it.

 

My face brightens up as I see your smile
I worry that you might notice my feelings
And I get scared that the gap between us would widen
I hold my breath
Then I bite my lips
Then I pray that she would leave his side

 

Her face was radiant and bright even with the minimal make-up. Her hair was all in place with a little tiara on her hair, supported by the bun. The wedding veil fell nicely across her shoulders. Dara noticed his presence and smiled, “Young Bae!”

 

She went forward to greet him but almost fell down. Luckily, Tae Yang was there to catch her fall, “Be careful!” Dara giggled at her clumsiness but Tae Yang remained firm, “I can’t be there to catch your fall anymore so don’t trip.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Dara frowned and slapped his chest playfully, “We’re friends for eleven years. You’ll still be here. It’s okay if I trip another hundred times.”

 

“Please rise for the arrival of the bride!” The pastor said as everyone stood up and turned around to see the appearance of the angelic bride. The music started and the doors opened. Tae Yang was behind the piano, ready to play the song composed for the couple. She was looking down, afraid that she would trip and fall like she always did.

 

However, the moment she caught Ji Yong standing at the other end of the chapel, her fear was gone and she smiled with confidence and pride. That smile was never there when she was with Tae Yang. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise for them to break up – so that Dara would be in better hands with his best friend who could easily be the perfect guy for a perfect girl like her.

 

“Today, I am very delighted to have married such a perfect woman. And what’s making me even happier is that our best friend is here to witness everything and to sing a song for our wedding.” Ji Yong glanced at Tae Yang which returned the acknowledgment with a nod, “Here’s Dong Young Bae, the famous Korean singer, who would sing a song for us.”

 

After speaking, Ji Yong returned the microphone and held his hands tightly on Dara’s, rubbing the edge of the wedding ring at the same time. Tae Yang controlled his emotions and started playing the piano.

 

 

The hidden lyrics behind the song, no one would ever know except for Tae Yang. He looked up briefly to spot Dara looking at him, like the first time she peeked at him in the classroom. Instead of turning her down coolly like the first time, Tae Yang gave a sincere smile as she smiled back at him warmly.

 

By all means, be happy with him
So I can move on
Please erase me out of your heart
Although I tried my best but, no oh~

I’ve been living the lies for too long
Yet, she would look at me and smile.