-Chapter 6-

My Wife, The Witness

 

Chapter 6

                Tao had time to analyse the neighbouring couple and their sleeping child. He still felt guarded around the new people. It was his nature to be suspicious, especially given his current circumstances. Silently, Tao applauded Sehun’s calm state at the moment.

                The family of three was certainly harmless – so far. Kris and Chanyeol looked young to be parents, Tao concluded they married young. Kris was a protective and responsible sort of person. Even now, Tao could see the man’s constant touch on his wife. They didn’t hold hands but Tao noticed Kris’s arm around Chanyeol’s waist. Conscious or not, Tao filed away that Kris Wu needed to hold onto something solid to appease him.

                Chanyeol was the bubbly type; the type that talked the ears off people. She talked in hushed whispers as her husband inclined his head closer to hear her. Her hands gestured wildly and sometimes she would stop to pat Leo’s back and brushed the boy’s hair away from his face.

                Leo Wu was sleeping soundly, a thumb as his small head rested on his father’s broad shoulder. Tao was staring at the kid as his brown curls swayed along as Kris walked. The boy was definitely his mother’s son. It was hard to see Kris in the boy’s features except probably his skin tone. Kris was pale while Chanyeol’s skin had a nice peachy tint to it.

                “He won’t be awake for a long time now.” Chanyeol suddenly said. It seemed like she noticed Tao’s stare at her child. She turned her head at the two of them who was trailing quietly behind.

                “How old is Leo?” Sehun asked. Tao looked at Sehun’s genuine curiosity by his side and thought that maybe Sehun liked children. It was a few moments ago that he realised Sehun’s transfixed gaze at the sleeping toddler.

                “He just turned 3,” Chanyeol beamed. Kris even turned to smile at the duo.

                “Ah...” Sehun nodded. Tao found it endearing as Sera’s pouty lips formed a small ‘O’. “He’s adorable, Chanyeol-sshi.’’

                The Wu’s apartment was similar to theirs...just more vibrant and was well lived-in. There were a few colourful toys scattered around in their warm auburn living room and Kris was quick to clean them up. Chanyeol took their child into his room.

                “Sorry for the mess,” Kris apologised as he stuffed a green dragon plushie under his armpit while swiftly snatching some Lego pieces on the carpeted floor. Sehun eyed the toys openly but Tao couldn’t fathom his expression.

                “It’s fine,” Tao replied politely. Sehun was about to help the man but he was adamant not letting his guest helped. He even snatched the boat-shaped toy from Sehun’s hand.

                “Our housekeeper has to go back to Busan and it’s a bit chaotic. Leo’s nanny called in sick for 2 days. Sorry for the mess,” Chanyeol told them as she carefully placed a tray onto the spotless glass low-table in front of Tao and Sehun. As she served them, Kris settled down next to the tall woman on a long sofa diagonally to the one Tao sat on with Sehun.

                “You two just moved in, right? Welcome again,” Chanyeol said again as Tao watched Sehun sipped his tea. He suddenly remembered that Oh Sehun’s favourite drink was bubble milk tea. Maybe he should treat his ward to one...or two drinks.

                “So Tao-sshi, what do you do for living?” Kris asked as he dropped his long arm behind Chanyeol.

                Tao cleared his throat. “I’m actually still a student.”

                Sehun took the chance to avert his eyes away from the people in front of him as he busied himself tasting the warm tea.

                “Omo,” Chanyeol widened her eyes, “no wonder you look so young.”

                “Nae.”

                The conversation continued on and Sehun noticed Tao didn’t say more than he should. Both of them stuck to their cover story – fell in love, parents’ approved of their relationship and now living together as a young married couple. Sehun was glad that Tao did most of the talking. Sehun was uncomfortable with lying, especially to these nice neighbours of theirs, even if it was for...his own good.

                As Chanyeol predicted, Leo was still asleep when the Huang’s bid farewell to the Wu. Chanyeol made Sehun promised that they would visit again. Bashful, Sehun nodded as Tao took hold of his hand again.

                They did continue to clean their new apartment and with both being as hardworking, they managed to finish just in time for dinner.

                “How? I...can cook something,” Sehun offered but both knew how tired they were.

                “Let’s eat out, Sehun-ah,” Tao said and quickly added, “to celebrate our moving.”

                When Sehun was putting his feminine coat and busy buttoning them, Tao approached him and handed him something small and cold. When he opened his palm, there were two rings.

                Sehun cocked his eyebrow in confusion. And Tao looked back with a poker face.

                “It’s part of the undercover mission. To make it more real and avoiding any possible questions in the future. This one,” Tao took one ring from Sehun’s palm – the plainer-looking one, studded with a blue diamond, “is your engagement ring.” Tao slid it easily onto Sehun’s finger. Sehun watched in full concentration.

                “And this one,” Tao took the other one, that looked way more beautiful than the engagement ring, “is your wedding ring.” Tao lifted Sehun’s left hand and put on the ring. Sehun marvelled at the perfect fit.

                “This is mine,” Tao said. Sehun looked up to see Tao holding up his left hand and the light reflected off the blue stones on the said band.

                “Hmmph,” Sehun pursed his lips as he nodded. Tao reached for his coat on the rack by the door as Sehun opened the front door.

                “I like yours better,” Sehun voiced out his thoughts as they both exited. Tao listened quietly as Sehun said he contemplated about Tao’s apparently more handsome-looking ring than his.

                “You have two. That’s more that better,” Tao said finally. Sehun cocked his head, held out both his hands in the light and hummed in agreement before they continued on their way for a celebratory dinner.

 

 

[Oh Sera's engagement ring]

[Her wedding ring]              

                                 

[Huang Zi Tao's wedding band]