-Chapter 5-

My Wife, The Witness

 

Chapter 5

                Tao was immobilised by the front door. The tall woman was in front of him looking tired.

                “I am very sorry, really sorry!” she bowed down profusely. At the same time, her hands were trying to pry the laughing boy off of Tao’s legs. However the giggling boy was faster that he latched himself onto Sehun’s legs instead. Sehun yelped in surprise, trying to recover his momentum. If it wasn’t for his hold on Tao’s sleeve, he would’ve fall down with the boy still clinging onto him. Sehun looked down and was greeted by a grinning cutie.

                Oh?

                “Leo! Come back here!” the woman’s face flushed in embarrassment as she looked at both Tao and Sehun. Tao smiled, he understood.

                “Ahjumma, you look pretty like mommy,” the boy suddenly said. His big eyes that looked a lot like the woman’s stared up at Sehun’s face before he giggled again and swayed his small body making Sehun stumbled a bit.

                “A-ahjumma?” Sehun stammered. He didn’t know if he was supposed to feel insulted or complimented.

                Leo then patted Sehun’s flat stomach and both Tao’s and Sehun’s eyes widened.

                “Do you have a baby in here too like mommy?”

                The tall woman gasped.   

                “Oh my God, I am really sorry for causing this trouble,” she bowed to the couple again. Sehun almost laughed when the lady in all her exasperation whisper yelled a ‘Leo, you come here to mommy!’

                Just then another voice echoed in the hallway.

                “Yeol!’

                The woman, who was obviously Leo’s mother turned at the same time Tao peeked into the hall.

                A man was jogging his way towards them. Tao could see the white shirt and black pants he was wearing. His hair was getting lighter and more blonde as he neared them. Now this man was definitely tall. He didn’t look Korean either. His clothing was formal and Tao figured he must’ve worked in an office or something.

                “Yeol,” he said again, as he stopped in front of them, slightly panting. “Did you find him?”

                A bout of giggles answered the man and he turned sharply towards the open door. His eyes narrowed at the koala on Sehun’s leg. Sehun didn’t know, maybe it was gut instinct, but this blonde guy over here was definitely Leo’s father.

                “Leo...” the man called in a reprimanding tone. But instead of getting away like how Sehun imagined Leo would do, the young boy let go of Sehun and jumped into his father’s waiting embrace.

                “Baba, you got me!” Leo squealed. The man only chuckled as he rose to his full height (which was way too tall in Sehun’s opinion) while the woman began scolding her son for running away and disturbing the neighbours. Apparently, Leo rushed out of their apartment as soon as both his parents were out of sight. Chanyeol told Leo that a little boy wasn’t supposed to be alone or the ‘red-eyed monsters’ would get him.

                It was then D.O came up to them and tapped Sehun on the shoulder from behind. Startled, Sehun rammed his body onto Tao’s back. Tao’s arm went around Sehun to stabilise his young ward. Sehun patted Tao’s arm twice as an ‘I’m fine’.   

                “Omo,” D.O said, registering the faces of the three people. “Hello there, Leo~”

                The boy in command turned from his parents (said parents also turned) before a crooked full smile adorned the young one’s face. He waved excitedly at D.O.

                “Soo ahjusshi!!”

                “Leo-ya!” D.O laughed.

                Sehun didn’t know who was more excited to see whom as he watched the scene unfolding in front of him. It was like watching two grinning elementary boys who were best friends waving at each other. Sehun became lost in his thoughts, tuning out the commotion.

                “Oh yes! Tao-sshi, Sera-sshi.”

                 Sehun broke out of his imagination when the building owner addressed them.

                “Ah, nae?” Sehun automatically responded.

                “This is one of your neighbours, Kris and Chanyeol and their adorable Leo. They live just down the hall to your right,” D.O said, gushing as he tickled Leo’s chin. D.O continued to babble on excitedly with the boy.

                Do Kyungsoo like children, Tao realised.

                D.O’s focus was now more to Leo whom he took from Kris’s arms but he then placed Leo back into his father’s arms claiming the boy was getting too big. It wasn’t long before D.O excused himself and telling the two neighbours to get to know each other. Sehun felt like D.O was promoting neighbouring friendly spirits.

                When the two of them were left together with the family of three, Kris was the first to break the bubble of silence.    

                “Nice to meet you,” Kris said, shaking hands with them. Chanyeol followed suit. “I’m sorry for any trouble my son has caused you both. Not a really good first impression of us you see.”

                Tao sized his newly acquainted neighbour and answered, “And you too. It’s okay; he wasn’t a trouble at all.”

                “Yes, he wasn’t troubling us,” Sehun added in.

                He looked at the boy who was now his thumb and turning his body in his father’s hold. Sehun saw the dropping eyelids of the adorable Leo Wu. And his mother noticed too.  

                “He’s getting sleepy already,” Chanyeol said.

                “We better get him to bed now,” Kris agreed.

                “Sera-sshi, Tao-sshi, I’m sure all the unpacking is tiring, please come to our apartment and let’s have some tea together,” Chanyeol smiled at them.

                Now Sehun knew where Leo got his nice smile. On Chanyeol, it made the woman looked less like a mother – her face was that childish. Seemed like Sehun would meet lots of baby-faced residents here (he hoped not).

                The 17-year-old Oh Sera looked at her husband, thinking that the invitation wasn’t so bad. Tao thought so too.

                “If we’re not intruding,” Tao said.

                “Oh no! Not at all,” Kris shook his free hand.

                “Well then, what are we waiting for?” Tao drawled. He stepped out and that assured Sehun that nothing would harm him. It was just some friendly neighbours...not people hired to kill him. Sehun forced the painful thoughts away. Nothing was going to harm him...Tao was there to protect him.

                “Lead the way,” Tao said again politely. And the beaming face of Chanyeol was everything Sehun needed to brush the negative inner voices away.

                Besides, Tao’s strong hand was holding his tight. Sehun felt that their understanding of each other came too easy and he rather liked that.

                Tao was there to protect him. 

 

 

 

 

[The proud and loving parents of Leo Wu]

     

[Leo's mommy!]