Struggle and Adjustment

Gift In Our Hands

 

    A screeching sounds of a car’s tires echoed furiously through almost the empty field as the car moved in an uncontrollable speed. The stares which the people gave as a loud sound of someone’s screaming could be heard from inside the car.

      “Baekhyun! Baekhyun, oh my god! Slow down!” Chanyeol shrieked in a horrified manner as he gripped the strap of his seatbelt tightly, stumbling to the side on the passenger’s seat as Baekhyun managing to take a turn to the left. Chanyeol’s head hit the window of the car rather harshly as a result.

      “Baekhyun! Ow!” Chanyeol massaged his own head as he winced in pain, glancing at Baekhyun who was just merely grinning in excitement and kept driving. Chanyeol stared in a definite shock as he turned his head to the front, eyes soonly spotting a yellow material, known as a signpost that frankly said ‘do not pass’.

      “Baekhyun! Watch out! In front of you! Turned to the right!” Chanyeol exclaimed in high-pitched but deep voice as he slapped Baekhyun’s arm many times, telling him to do so as he was told.

      Baekhyun didn’t flinch, even though the hand which slapped him numerously times was starting to bother him a bit. He spun the wheel to the side a little bit forcefully, because thank you, his body was kind of too small comparing to all of the thing which surrounded him now; the car.

      Baekhyun’s feet reached downward, trying to touch the surface of the brake and step on it immediately. Luckily, he did.

      Chanyeol let out a big, heavy breath of air from both of his nose and mouth as he slumped himself completely on the seat, hand still miraculously clutching his chest.

      “You should probably note down that you were driving a people who were pregnant.”

      Baekhyun’s wide grin suddenly wiped off from his face by himself as he quickly turned to the side, as if he was realizing something just in time.

      “O–oh! I–I’m sorry! Did you hurt? Where did exactly you feel hurt? Do you need to be brought to the hospital? I think there is a hospital not too far from here and we can go there as soon as possible so that you–“

      “No need, Baekhyun. It’s okay. I’m okay.” Chanyeol smiled as he made a process to hold Baekhyun’s wrist gently. Baekhyun calmed down a bit as he slumped himself on the driver seat, letting out a big breath as a relief sigh.

      “I don’t think it’s improving either. I mean my driving skills were bad, just as–“

      “No!” Chanyeol quickly rejected, turning his head to the side as well to face Baekhyun. “I think you’re improving. You were better than yesterday. You were really, really that scared when I ordered you to just turn on the machine, remember? But right now, you even drove worse than me, I mean in a good content. Isn’t it what exactly called as improving?”

      Baekhyun tilted his head to the side thoughtfully, teeth slightly munching on his bottom lip. “For a whole time when I was driving, all I could think about is you. I mean, I’m thinking about how I will drive you to the hospital later in such a hurry when you–“

      Baekhyun’s words were abruptly silenced as Chanyeol put an index finger towards his lips. “Ssh. You’re thinking too much. Besides, who says that I’ll use your service to drive me to the hospital later?”

      Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows in disapproval as he frowned, then swatted the hand away from his lips. “Yah! Is it how you talking to someone who was actually trying to help?! Such an unacceptable act!” He folded his arms in front of his chest and slightly turned away.

      Chanyeol let out a hearty laugh as he watched Baekhyun even doing a furthermore acts; pouting his lips. “Hey, remember, those kind of things weren’t that proper for you anymore. You’re not the one who supposed to do that here, especially if someone who exist beside you is me.” He smiled a little bit too proudly, and Baekhyun snorted at that.

      “Whatever, you didn’t change either.”

      Chanyeol laughed louder as Baekhyun couldn’t hold himself any further to let out a light chuckle.

      “Well, I’m trying to!” Chanyeol retorted.

      Baekhyun rolled his eyes as he shoved Chanyeol slightly, earning a not-too-death-glare from the younger.

      “Should I remind you who’s the one who got to be carried the baby here?” Chanyeol said as he rubbed his arm sulkingly, “You just did the harm.

 

.

.

.

 

      “W–what?” Baekhyun snapped up from the fashion magazine he was reading. “Since when did you like pink? I mean .. pink color?”

      Chanyeol just merely shrugged off his shoulders as he pouted his lips, shaking his head in a thoughtful manner. Honestly, he himself even didn’t know why. It was just kind of happening like that.

      “I don’t know.” He murmured. “Maybe because pink looks cute?” He tilted his head to the unsurely.

      Baekhyun gave a little laugh at that. “Yeah, actually, but it certainly doesn’t fit you.”

      Chanyeol took in no time to suddenly whip his head to the side, looking at Baekhyun with a disagree sentiment. He crossed his arms in front of his chest. “Yah! Can you be a little sensitive? I’m in the state of cravings right now!”

      A loud sigh could be heard from Baekhyun’s mouth as he let it out, now closing the magazine on his lap. He turned his head to the side as well and stared at Chanyeol. “And now can you too point out clearly what did exactly you want?”

      Chanyeol turned his body to the front again as he huffed, cheeks puffing as he managed to hold partly of his breath there. “I thought I already told you!”

      “Oh, come on!” Baekhyun groaned and rolled his eyes. He fought the urge to just mess up his hair in frustration. “You only said that pink looks good, pink looks cute, and I really like pink. You didn’t mention the name of the thing! How could you demand me to understand all of that?”

      “Well!” Chanyeol bounced up a bit on his seat as he raised his voice unconsciously. “I want a lot of pink things!”

      Baekhyun’s eyes spontaneously widened as he stared at Chanyeol, words coming out as stuttering. “A–a lot?”

      “Yes!” Chanyeol exclaimed. Baekhyun thought it too loud somehow, for his voice.

      “R–right now? I mean, r–right in this time?”

      “Of course! When would you think I demand all of that? Yesterday?” Chanyeol raised both of his eyebrows in distate as he stared at Baekhyun, picking up the remote for tv and changing the channel selfishly.

      Baekhyun heaved up a deep sigh as he darted his eyes everywhere. He didn’t want to admit, but as long as he himself was kind of a ‘diva’ back then, he forced himself to just calm and listen to what the other was saying.

      Yes, Chanyeol as a diva actually sounded pretty weird. Baekhyun himself even couldn’t picture the whole thing if that happened to be true, right in front of his eyes, and right jabbed at himself.

      He couldn’t imagine, but unfortunately he didn’t need to. Chanyeol as a diva was actually pretty frank in front of his eyes, especially in a time which a created moment like this.

      “B–but Yeol, look, it was already 11 PM at night and I–“

      “And I have to say a thing such as ‘it’s okay, you didn’t have to because there’s still a tomorrow’?” Chanyeol cutted the other’s words abruptly as he put down the remote back on his side. Baekhyun flinched slightly at the tone as he managed to keep himself calm.

      “But yeol, outside was freezing as well and I–“

      “And you expect me again to tell you that ‘oh okay, I love you so much and I don’t want you to get sick, so I change my mind and beg for you to stay here’? That’s kind of mismatching with my heart’s wish.” Chanyeol retorted as he rolled his eyes, earning a disbelief look came from Baekhyun.

      Actually, it did not go the same way with Chanyeol’s mind. He knew that it was selfish, he knew that it wasn’t too good for Baekhyun at all since the guy didn’t know how to drive, how to find a particular road that lead into the destined place quickly, and worse, night people. They were just sneaky, hiding in a certain place that would leave us freaking out and wondering just how the suddenly popped out in front of our eyes. Chanyeol often found them eyeing Baekhyun a little bit too necessary and Chanyeol certainly did not like that. Baekhyun was just kind of pretty and his lack sense of awareness did not make anything any easier at all.

      But, once again, it’s the body process we’re talking about. Hormones. They were the ones which controlling our body, telling them what are exactly needed. Eat when hungry, drink when thirsty, sleep when sleepy, and the other things as well. Physiology needs, specifically. So? It did occure the same way to Chanyeol. He’s pregnant.

      “Chanyeol, you may not be kidding me. I can impossibly go out at this kind of our! Besides, I don’t know how to drive!” Baekhyun tried to give a reason, as acceptable as he could, towards Chanyeol, hoping that he would somehow give a break towards it but unfortunately, in this kind of new situation to him, Chanyeol hardly could understand.

     He’s pretty selfish to the point that he still couldn’t everything that happened to him, including his needs.

      “You can walk as well!”

      “Walk?!” Baekhyun suddenly stood up from his seat, eyes widening in a complete disbelief. “Are you insane?! Do you want me to get kidnapped as well? Bringing into an unknown places by those unknown guys?!”

      “Of course, no!” Chanyeol yelled back, eyebrows furrowing in a tight line. He looked at Baekhyun annoyingly. "You have to be more careful, more aware of your surroundings!"

    "But I can't! At least for now. It is not easy, Chanyeol. Maybe I'll try to have myself used to this, but it definitely needs a process. And now isn't the right time to-"

    "Just stop doubting yourself, Baekhyun! You know you can. It's only about the time and the process that you process itself. I think you're just thinking too much about your lacking."

    "Are you testing my braveness right now?" Baekhyun suddenly said, in a lower tone, as he narrowed his eyes.

    "No! I was just-"

    "Listen, Chanyeol." Baekhyun took a deep sigh, managing himself to look calmer than before. He looked at Chanyeol straight in the eye. "Whatever things you're trying to do to me right now in order of something, I'm not gonna do it right now. I'm just.. really tired. It's all new to me, you, and we absolutely need a time to adjust. I hope you can understand about it."

    Chanyeol bit his own lip as he didn't say anything. What did he want to say anyway? Baekhyun was right. Everything that Baekhyun told, was actually right. They needed a time to adjust, and it was not as easy as to just flip a single hand.

    "I'm going to sleep. If you still insist about those kind of things, I'm trying to find them for you tomorrow. God, I can't even believe that we were fighting over a small things like that." Baekhyun chuckled lightly as he made himself to stand up from the couch. He looked over briefly at Chanyeol before saying, "Good night, Chanyeol."

    Chanyeol didn't say anything as a reply. He looked down the floor and purposely avoided for Baekhyun's eyes. He didn't know, he still felt guilty though. The idea of ordering Baekhyun–the still delicate and small man–to go outside at this kind of hour and weather, just to find some of the things that he wanted, was clearly selfish. They even kind of unimportant.

    Blame his stupid, raging hormones.

    Chanyeol let out a deep sigh as he lifted both of his foot to the couch, hearing the door of his room with Baekhyun being closed. He knew that Baekhyun didn't lock it, just in case that Chanyeol would feel sleepy later and want to sleep. But still, the uncomfortable feeling was still there. He absolutely didn't want to sleep with that kind of condition towards each other.

    "Good night, Baekhyun." Chanyeol whispered as he laid himself on the couch, grabbing some of the pillows and blanket to cover himself.

 

 

A/N: Sorrryyy, really, really sorry that it took a long time to finish and post it as well, hehe. I had a lot of assignments, quizzes, block examination, papers, etc. Haha, but thankfully, right now, it was already my holiday period, wohoo!

Sorry again if this chapter was kind of disappointing. Actually, I planned on adding a more scenes to this chapter, but then I thought that it would be too long, haha. So yeah, here it is, the chapter, keke.

Hope you can enjoy this, and have a nice read! Bye bye~