Believe In Yourself

Would You Believe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oloRb4ZIkZI

Since the performance was done on short notice, we decided to do something to highlight each one of us. Manny would do a dance solo, meanwhile Brandon, Sunshine and I were going to move from side to side and snap. Krystal would be playing the piano melody and Jake would be on the drum machine to create the beat of the song.

The practice was going well, I felt like such a backup singer but maybe that was because I was.

“Are you done?” a secretary came in and asked us. We all nodded and she took us down the elevator to the 4th floor. They led us through some halls and then Lee Soo-Man appeared.

“I see you have practiced, you will be performing. You are currently backstage” he said and smiled.

We looked at each other confused.

“This is back stage?” Jake asked. Lee Soo man nodded.

“You will be performing in front of all the S.M artist and trainees. So get into your positions. My cue will be when I say “Introducing the newest members of the family’, alright?” he said with a smile to us. We were all left in such a shock.

“What are you guys waiting for? C’mon!” Krystal screamed in panic.

We all nodded and got into our positions. We got our cue and we began. When the curtains were moved we were all in shock to see that there was a huge audience in front of us. We performed nonetheless.

I tried to relax as Brandon began to sing the Oh’s. I could hear some trainee’s begin to whisper about how cute he was. I couldn’t help but smile and relax a little more when he finally began to sing. He was owning it.

Then my back up line began.

“and I don’t know what to do about it” I sung.

I felt so useless. That was my only line. I got to sing it twice and I got to sing “all because of you” a few times, then I got to join everyone in “she’s the sweetest drug”.

Everyone got hyped up when Manny danced as well. We finished flawlessly and bowed to the audience.

Mr. Lee Soo-Man came up on stage again.

“I would like you to welcome our new group in S.M entertainment!” he said into the microphone.

We all looked at each other. We weren’t informed of this. We were here to be trainee’s not a whole group.

Even some of the trainees in the audience were murmuring. The established groups clapped for us.

“We are now done with this performance and you may return to your routine. You may also say hello to the trainees” he said and dismissed everyone. A few trainee’s went over and congratulated Brandon and Sunshine for their amazing vocals. Eunhyuk, Hyoyeon, Younho, and Taemin went over and complemented Manny on his dancing skills.

Henry and Donghae went over and congratulated Krystal and Jake.

I was left alone standing there like an idiot. I tried to keep my cool and not cry but it felt horrible.

They didn’t let me express my true potential.

I sighed and began to gather my things, trying to look busy so I wouldn’t look like such a loser.

“Umm good job!” one of the stage directors whispered to me and gave me a thumbs up. This made me want to cry even more.

“Thank you” I whispered back and bowed. I sat down on one of the audience seats so no one would notice me. I began to daydream.

“Wow Carolina! You are AH-MAZING!” all of Girl’s Generation said in unison.

“You really think so?” I said shyly.

“Really! You are amazing!” Onew added. I smiled like crazy.

“Will you go out with me?” Yesung added coming out of nowhere.

“YES!” I screamed and kissed him.

I then snapped out of it. If only my daydream was reality. Just the fact that Yesung was there reminded me it was never going to happen. He was in the army. He wouldn’t be coming back until late next year. I couldn’t even lie to myself.

All of a sudden I heard a small cough behind me. I turned around to see who it was.

“Um, hey. You did well up there, welcome to the family”

I blinked once, and blinked twice. Was I really seeing this? Or was it part of my daydream?

“I only had 2 lines and they were back up” I whispered back to him shyly.

“That’s how we all start out, don’t worry it will get better!” he said and smiled. His smile didn’t fit his character. He was never my favorite.

“I guess, thank you for trying anyways” I replied back.

“I’m Cho Kyuhyun” he introduced himself. I stood up and bowed.

“I’m Carolina, my last name is far too difficult so I’ll leave it at that!” I answered honestly. He nodded. There was an awkward silence.

“You seemed surprised up there when they announced you guys were a new group” he commented trying to break the silence before we had to end the conversation.

I took a seat again and nodded.

“Yeah, we weren’t aware of that. I was told I was coming to S.M to be BoA’s backup singer…I guess I’m just going to be my group’s backup singer? I don’t know.” I responded back. I realized I was sounding very blunt. I didn’t even know what was wrong with me. He was the only person who had come to congratulate me and yet I was being uninterested.

“Sing for me” he asked directly. My eyes went wide.

“What? No! People are going to hear!” I exclaimed.

“You’re whole life will now revolve around performing and yet you don’t want to sing in front of us?” he teased.

“It’s not that, I just- I” I stuttered. He smiled.

“That’s your problem, you have to believe in yourself. I have to go, but I’ll see you around okay?” he said and grinned.

I nodded and bowed once more. He bowed back and left the room.

He was right and I couldn’t deny it. I had to believe in myself.

Soon enough everyone had left the room.

“Carolina are you okay?” Jake asked as he walked over to me.

“Yeah are you okay? I didn’t see anyone walk over to say hello. I’m sorry” Sunshine added with sarcasm. I rolled my eyes.

“I saw that cutie Cho Kyuhyun walk over” Krystal defended me and winked.

I smiled.

“What?” Sunshine said in shock. I rolled my eyes. Sunshine was Kyuhyun’s biggest fan girl.

“I saw it too!” Manny added and grinned.

“What are you guys talking about?” Brandon spoke up as he sat down next to me.

“But you didn’t even sing!” Sunshine said angry.

“She was back up, she added to the song. Without her the song would have sounded blunt. Chill Angeline!” Brandon said defending me. Sunshine stomped her foot and walked away angrily.

“That girl has issues, don’t let her get to you” Brandon said and side hugged me. I nodded, I was used to it.

“Shall we go?” Jake asked us. We nodded. Mr. Lee Soo-Man had given us the directions to the apartment we would be staying at. I sighed.

To this day I didn’t understand why Sunshine disliked me so much. I was for once happy that we weren’t going to be together since I would be BoA’s back up. However finding out that she was going to be in the same group and in the same building with me, made me feel uneasy.

Then that rotten Cho Kyuhyun came to talk to me, Sunshine would never forgive me now.

One thing wasn’t clicking in my mind though, why did he come to talk to me?

Author's Note:

HELLO! Oh my gosh, I got 5 subscribers! I really thought no one was interested in this story! This was my first story on AFF.

I guess I will continue it...haha

HOWEVER! I must warn that I am working on my story "The Library" it's a Kyungsoo story and that happens to be my main priority right now. I really want to finish that story and use my energies on that story right now. If you want to check it out please do.

Therefore I will update maybe once every 2 weeks.

Thank you so much for the comments! You guys are lovely!

-The Author