Chapter 1

Chance Upon A Chance [Hiatus]

 

“He’s staring at us again.” Yoona said. She, along with her friends was seated at the university cafeteria.

“Who?” Donghae asked, looking up from his food.

“The dancer guy,” she answered.

“Are you sure he’s staring at you? He could be staring at me,” HyoYeon batted her eyelashes at them. “I met him at the auditions. He might be staring at me.”

“But you weren’t with us yesterday. Or the day before that. Or the day before,” Yoona said almost proudly. She was used to guys turning their heads at her. But for some reason, nobody dared court her. It was a first that somebody is actually staring at her.

“Why? Were you alone when he stared at you?” Jessica emphasized the word stared.

“I wasn’t. But he was directly looking my way. And I was the only girl around,” She answered smugly.

“Who?” Donghae asked again, looking around.

“See. You’re just imagining it. Haedoesn’t even know who you’re talking about.” Jessica said indifferently.

“It’s the guy wearing red, 9:00” Hyo said. Donghae strategically turned to his left. He pouted. There wasn’t anything extraordinary about the guy and yet Yoona took notice of him.

“But I’m more handsome than he is.” He said pouting.

Yoona turned to him and smiled, “Of course you are.”

He looked again at the guy. “I’m more muscular than he is.”

“Of course you are.” She answered.

“I think I’m even smarter than he is.”

“Of course you are.” She answered sweetly.

Feeling better, he smiled widely and began eating once again.

“You always think Hae is better at everything, Yoong,” Jessica said, rolling her eyes.

“Of course he is.” Yoona smiled sweetly at her. “YoonHae will always be No. 1”

Donghae and Yoona grew up together. Coming from wealthy families, they weren’t allowed to go out much and so they found company in each other. Their parents were good friends, and luckily neighbors, and so they spent almost every minute with each other. Going to the same prestigious schools, attending the same parties, they had the same circle of friends until they graduated middle school. In high school, they began experimenting and had new and different sets of friends, but at the end of the day, it would always go back to the two of them. They’d always end up spending more time together, making up for all the time lost with their new friends. And now, going to the same university, taking the same course, studying the same subjects and having almost the same schedule, they were practically inseparable. They were the best of friends. Nobody was more important to them than each other.

 

“Is he ever gonna stop staring?” Yoona exclaimed once again.

They were at the soccer field. She was waiting for Donghae to finish soccer practice. Donghae, who took a 5-minute break and was lying beside her murmured, “Who?”

“You know that guy at the cafeteria,” she said looking down at him.

He scowled, “He’s here too?”

“Maybe he just wanted to be friends. He always seemed to be alone.” She said.

“So?”

“Let’s go up to him.” She said excitedly.

“I don’t want to.” He said, making no move to get up.

“If you don’t go then, I will.” She said standing up and fixing her clothes.

Not wanting her to be alone with him, he growled and stood up. “Fine,” he scowled.

 

As they neared him, Donghae got to look at the guy better. He went near Yoona and whispered, “He’s too skinny. I am more huggable than he is.”

“You know I’d hug you over him any day, Hae.” She whispered back before turning back to the guy.

Feeling smug about himself, he casually put his arms on Yoona’s shoulder just to warn the guy that he’d be totally breaking the bro code if he ever touched this girl.

As they approached, they saw the guy looking surprised, his look shifting from Donghae to Yoona. Yoona excitedly waved her hand at him, a friendly gesture. Meanwhile, Donghae, seeing as Yoona was excited over meeting the guy, frowned even more, tightening his hold on Yoona’s shoulder.

“Hi!” Yoona said to the guy before them. He had black, unruly hair that looked y in a way. He was not skinny as Donghae said. He was slim and muscular, as if he took real good care of his figure. She took in the sharp features of the guy’s face before asking him again, “What’s your name?” she said with her sweetest voice.

He was shifting his gaze from Yoona, to the arm around her shoulders, and to Donghae, the guy who owns the arm.

He smiled and Yoona noticed he had such a warm smile,

 

 

 

“I’m Hyukjae. Lee Hyukjae. And you guys are?”