13

Gambling Lies

 

My eyes popped out of their sockets. Everybody held out their arms in protest, fingers pointed at the turmoil unfolding before our eyes. This was beyond insanity. It had happened so quickly that I didn’t even know what was going on until the two racers erupted into flames alongside their karts.

            “Call an ambulance quickly!” “What the happened!?” “Hurry up!” “Sunbae’s out of his mind!” In the midst of screaming and shouting, I spun to Tae Hee who was still beside me. “Unnie, I think I need to go to the hospital.”

            “Why?” Tae Hee furrowed her eyebrows before her eyes ran all over my body, as if to inspect me for any injuries. “Are you not feeling well?”

            “No. It’s just that…” my voice faltered, “I think I need to visit someone.” Tae Hee simply nodded, not pressing for any further details. That was what I liked about Tae Hee. She didn’t bother me for anymore answers, and she gave me the right amount of space.

            “Good, I think we need to get out of here before anything else chaotic happens. In case you haven’t noticed, we’re the only non-gangsters here.”

****

            It was a plain and pale room. A typical white room that could be seen pretty much anywhere. Everything in the room was labeled ordinary. However, the only thing was, the room seemed to go on for eternity. As if someone would keep on walking, they would end up in the middle of nowhere. And that was what Yoon Yong Sook was stuck in. A room that he had so wanted to rip apart, splatter it with color, just anything but white. White was her favorite color. It sickened him so much.

            “Good, you’re awake.” A voice appeared out of nowhere, belonging to absolutely no one. Yong Sook twisted his neck right and left before nervously asking, “Who are you?”

            “Who am I? You’ll find out soon enough.”

            Yong Sook bit his trembling lips, “Am I in heaven?”

            “Heaven?” The voice seemingly scoffed, “You would never be able to reach heaven, Yoon Yong Sook. Deep down inside, you and I both know you’ve committed enough sins to not even be able to enter hell. But to answer your question, no, you are not in heaven.”

            “Then where the am I?!” Yong Sook demanded a satisfactory response.

            “You were close to death, Yoon Yong Sook. Playing the death card, I see. I understand that you are still heartbroken. You gave up on life, I can tell Yong Sook. But death. It’s really not the way to-“

            “Whoever the you are, I don’t give a ing damn! Just shut the up!”

            “I understand your feelings right now, Yong Sook. Don’t give up so easily. I know that you’ve been through a lot. From losing your brother to-“

            “I SAID DON’T ING TALK ABOUT MY BROTHER OR ABOUT ANYONE ELSE!”

            “I won’t. I’m just here to remind you that you shouldn’t give up so easily. That isn’t like you, Yong Sook.”

            “DON’T ACT LIKE YOU KNOW ME! GET ME OUT OF THIS HELLHOLE!”

            “As you wish, Yong Sook. But I’m so very disappointed in you…”

****

            He woke up to the sounds of humming machines, and needles injected to his left arm. Groaning from an ache from the side of his ribcage, Yoon Yong Sook shifted his body to a more comfortable position. Recalling his memories, he caught some glimpses of the aftermath of the accident in his head, but they were still a little foggy. He had mild third degree burns, and according to the doctors could heal in about under a few weeks. However, that was not the case for Choi Byunghyun. He got the worse side of the accident and was undergoing surgery to stitch up some deep cuts as well as patching up the first degree burns.

            Yong Sook gulped in pain, feeling the dryness in his throat affecting his voice. Trying to form words with his mouth, his parched lips prevented him from making any audible words.

            “Here,” a female voice rang out before a glass of cold water reached Yong Sook’s fingers. “Be careful not to drop it.” Yong Sook’s eyes suddenly shot open, disbelieving his own ears. Yes, the very own Choi Lina was sitting in front of him, assisting Yong Sook with the glass of water.

            “You’re awake, I see.” Yong Sook meekly nodded before gulping down the content of the glass cup in one go. How refreshing. Water never tasted this good.

            “I think I should go call for the doctor. You know, to tell them you’re awake and all.” Lina slowly nodded before standing up to reach for the door’s handle. Yong Sook suddenly grabbed her wrist, clamping his stronger fingers over her wrist.

            “U-Uh, how can I help you Yong Sook-ssi?” Lina looked from Yong Sook’s steel grip to Yong Sook himself.

            “Just…” Yong Sook closed his eyes, “stay here for a while.”

            “But…I have to tell the nurses that you’re awake.”

            “Just…please.” Yong Sook could hear Lina shifting uncomfortably before plopping herself back on the plastic hospital chair. “Alright.” He formed a small smile before drifting back to sleep. For some odd reason, Yoon Yong Sook, for the first time in a really long time, he finally felt safe.

****

            “Can you believe that Yoon Yong Sook caused that scene all by himself?”

             “Pathetic, really.”

            “Trying to gain attention. Gosh.”

            “He disgusts me.”

            “Serves him right.”

            “Will you all just shut up?!” Myungsoo crossly shot a glare at all of his six friends. They immediately became quiet, waiting for Myungsoo to talk. “Did you guys find out where Lina went?”

            “She went to the hospital right away,” Dongwoo quietly muttered. “I guess she went to go visit Yong Sook.”

            “Did you find out the back story of Yong Sook and that Byunghyun racer?” Myungsoo continued his interrogation.

            “Apparently, they go a long way back. Or Byunghyun seemed to be indebted to him, and they struck some sort of deal. The details are still vague, and I could only hear so much.” Hoya shrugged.

            “Did you ask the other Inspirits what they heard? I’m sure the rest of the bunch stayed behind.”

            “Junho heard a little bit, but basically the Axels were just adding on about the deal that Byunghyun and Yong Sook struck. The only person that probably knows the inside story is Jang Hyun Woo, which of course, we can’t contact at all, seeing as how he’s the right hand man of Yoon Yong Sook,” Sungyeol answered, before asking Myungsoo, “Why do you want to know about this story anyways, L?”

            “I’m going to lay it low for now. But let’s just say, in order to win Lina’s heart, I may have to use some cards.”

            “Cards?” Sungjong asked, puzzled.

            “Nothing of your concern,” Myungsoo snapped, “I’ll go into my office. If anything comes up, just call for me.” He then left the room, heading to his office, as said before.

            “He changed a lot.” Woohyun observed.

            Sunggyu nodded in agreement, “After Jiyeon and Yong Sook, things have been getting intense.” 


Haha, excuse me for the terrible writing. Okay. I will try to update another time this coming weekend, but seeing as how it is Chinese New Years' soon, I'm not too sure about that. (And yes, I am Chinese, so I will be celebrating Chinese New Years with the family.)