11

Gambling Lies

 

Gangsters. They were everywhere. They were like little bees, swarming a hive. Only thing was, there was no queen bee, or leader. All of them were seemingly unruly. It scared me. To death. If Tae Hee hadn’t been standing next to me, holding my hand like a mother would do to her child, I would have run away a long while ago. Being in tight spaces was a problem—I was claustrophobic. Second, I was in a tight space with gangsters. I repeat, gangsters.

            I wrapped the jacket around me tighter, as if it would shield me from the gangsters, “What am I doing here, Tae Hee unnie? This is beyond rid-“

            “Lina, trust me,” Tae Hee gave me a look, “you’ll enjoy it pretty soon.”

            “Unnie,” I moved closer to Tae Hee, “Of all places, does it have to be near gangsters?” I hissed the last part quietly, so that only Tae Hee could catch what I said.

            “I don’t know what happened, but I won’t press for any answers. You used to be normal around gan-“

            “I know,” I interrupted, “but things changed.”

            “What, like in one day?” I merely smiled before pushing Tae Hee further towards the entrance of the building. Oh, you don’t know.  

****

            “Tell me the names of the gangs will you?” Yong Sook slipped on his leather gloves as his fellow Axels helped prep him for the competition.

            “I couldn’t get my hands on the entire list, Boss,” the gangster on the right side of him brought out a helmet.

            “So?” Yong Sook almost growled as he flexed his arms in preparation.

            “But,” the left gangster jutted into the conversation, “I did find a gang I know you’ll be interested in.”

            “Stop beating around the bushes. Just tell me straight, so I know who to-“

            “Inspirits are in this competition. Kim Myungsoo, to be more exact.”

****

            “So I’ve heard Yong Yoon Sook heard about my entry in this competition?” Myungsoo straightened his collars as he peered into the mirror’s reflection.

            “How did you even find out, L?” Sungyeol appeared beside his best friend.

            “Let’s just say, word travels fairly quickly around here.” Sunggyu lazily slung an arm around the tallest gangster.

            “Hyung, how did you-“

            “L, beat the Axels’ a*ses, yes?” Hoya dryly chuckled while cracking his knuckles.

            “Hyung,” Sungjong shook his head, “the best L hyung can do is try. Don’t-“

            “I’ll beat him up, for sure.” Myungsoo’s eyes glinted with determination as he snapped his head back and forth. His eyes glazed over his four gangster friends, “Where are Dongwoo and Woohyun?”

            “I don’t know. They’re in charge of crowd control, I assume?” Sunggyu shrugged as he looked behind him, hoping to find a trace of the absent two.

            “No, we’re right here,” Woohyun’s voice reached all ears, forcing the six others to look for the general direction of Woohyun’s voice.

            “Hey, L,” Dongwoo suddenly wrapped his arm around Myungsoo, “I found something you would like.”

            “Just cut straight to the story, please.” Myungsoo fiddled with the strap of his leather jacket.

            “Choi Lina’s in this stadium, overlooking the race,” answered Dongwoo with a straight face. Expecting a reaction or simply a response, Dongwoo got none. Myungsoo just continued to fix the buckles of his black jacket. Silence was b up to the room’s ceiling. Dead silence. For more than two minutes. Sunggyu cleared his throat.

            “Well,” Myungsoo suddenly ceased with the of his jacket, “that means one thing.”

            “And what’s that, Myung?”

            “Easy,” a hard twinkle shimmered in Myungsoo’s eyes—which only appeared when he was extra serious about something. “Another reason to why I have to win this race.” 


Ah, do you guys feel the tension rising? Coz I do. Hahah. Subscribe, comment, upvote! ♥