Exception to the Rule

Exception to the Rule

If there is an award for being the most boring person alive, Zhang Yixing would definitely win it.

At least, that was what his roommate and (self-proclaimed) best friend, Oh Sehun had told him countless times before. However, Yixing could not help but to disagree. He is not boring, he was just being careful. Those are two different things.

How could he tell? It was because Yixing believed that to survive in this life, a person needed to have his own set of rules.

That’s right.

RULES.

Of course, one must be strict to follow them. That was what Yixing did in every single day that he walked in the planet. He would never get tired of proving his point to anybody who would be willing to hear it (Usually “anybody” would always pertain to a rather exasperated Sehun).

He would always start with the small arguments, such as rules at home. For example, that was why parents imposed curfew; so that they would be assured that their kids would come home safely at an appropriate time.

Then, he would move to the topic of the nation. That was why the country had laws, so that everything would be organized. Those who could not follow the rules were sent to jail. That was it. Over. THE END.

And if Yixing was totally in the mood, he would start talking about science. Do not get him started over the rules of nature. He could go on and on about it.

From the moment he would wake up till he was tucked safely in the bed, Yixing would only follow one routine, and he was not planning of changing it anytime.

He was already satisfied.

 

Today, like any other day, Yixing woke up from the sound of his alarm clock. It was 6 am. Yixing has a faint smile on his face as he hit the snooze button. He slowly got up to turn another alarm clock off and another.

Yes, he has three clocks to wake him up every morning. One was set for 6 am, one was for 6:15, and the last was for 6:30. This was to make sure that he would surely be awake with plenty of time at hand. He hates being late.

It’s better to be safe than sorry.

After getting up, Yixing proceeded to the shower. As always, he would measure everything from the amount of shampoo that he would use to the number of toilet paper. It helps him keep track of when he would buy his groceries.

Making sure that he was squeaky clean and fresh, he would then go on to dress up. As always, he would put on the clothes that were in the part of his closet that was labeled “Monday”. All articles of clothing folded neatly, Yixing proceeded to put them on. Now, fully dressed and good to go, he picked up his favorite perfume. After two sprays on his left wrist, he rubbed it with his right, and a familiar smell flooded his senses.

He looked at his reflection with a smile, and patted some of the unwanted creases on his clothes. Finally satisfied with the way he looks, he got out of the room to eat breakfast.

 

He was still a few feet from the kitchen, but he could already smell the food. When he went inside, he saw Sehun eating (?) breakfast with his boyfriend, Luhan. Yixing was not sure if he should use the word eating since it was more of a combination of eating and cuddling.

“Morning lovebirds.” Yixing greeted them as he got his plate.

Sehun stole a kiss from his boyfriend before turning his attention to his best friend. “Morning, Yixing.”

“Isn’t it too early for you two to do this?” Yixing eyed the two with judging eyes.

“Nothing is too early for cuddling.” A very happy Luhan answered.

“Yeah,” Sehun agreed. “There’s nothing like a good cuddle in the morning.”

“Whatever,” Yixing rolled his eyes.

“Yah!” Sehun starred at him. “I saw that. Just eat that delicious breakfast that I cooked for you.”

That was what Yixing did, while the couple in front of him continued with their giggling and cuddling. By now, Yixing was used to the two of them. Well, it has been almost two years since the two had started dating, and Yixing did not know when or how but one day, Luhan was just living with Sehun and him.

Yixing did not mind though. At least, the three of them could share the rent. That is a plus as long as they all paid in time. Besides, his best friend is happy and giggling. How could he not approve them?

“So anything new?” Sehun asked as Yixing chewed his food (two bites on the right side, and two bites at the left).

Yixing shrugged. “Nothing, how about with you?”

“Well,” Sehun said with a small smile. “It’s Luhan and I’s 23rd month since we’ve been together today!”

“Really?” Yixing returned with a smile of his own. “Congrats, you guys!”

“How about you, Yixing?” Luhan laughed. “When will you introduce the love of your life to us?”

“No way it would be soon,” Yixing coughed slightly. “I tend to be really picky with guys.”

“You are very picky with everything.” Sehun said which earned a death glare from Yixing.

 

When Yixing arrived at the bus stop, he was very pleased to find out that he was right on schedule. When the bus finally came, Yixing decided to proceed to his usual seat. It was at the back and the leftmost seat. Yixing liked it, because his seat is the least likely to bring creases on his clothes. But today, he could not go to this position.

Someone’s already occupying it.

Yixing felt as though a glass was shattered to pieces. Hell, he was slightly sure he heard the sound of glass shattering to the ground. He knew he had stopped on his tracks as he eyed the person sitting on it. He could feel his right eye twitching at this very moment. He was certain of one thing.

No one messes with Zhang Yixing and his bus seat.

Trying to be as calm and slightly logical as possible, Yixing decided to politely reclaim his place. As he approached the “usurper to his throne”, Yixing could not help but to notice the (almost!) perfect features of his soon-to-be enemy. He tried to push the thoughts away from his mind. Now is not the time to check out a guy (especially when that person was basically ruining your whole life at the moment).

“Excuse me, sir?” Yixing used his most people friendly tone, yet his eye was still twitching slightly. “I think you’re on my seat.”

“I am?” The usurper raised an eyebrow.

“Yes.” Yixing answered firmly while keeping his anger at hand.

“I don’t see your name on it.” The stranger said and proceeded to look at outside the window as if indicating that he was going to ignore Yixing from here on onwards.

“B-but…!” Yixing said in defiance. “That was my seat for the past years! You can’t just take it!”

“I’m sorry,” The stranger chuckled with a hint of mockery. “But maybe you should just get a new seat.”

“I don’t want to!” Yixing raised his voice slightly. Other passengers were starting to stare right now. “I like that seat.”

“Well, I like it too.” The stranger glared at him. “This is the only place where my clothes won’t be ruined. So if you don’t mind… Shoo!”

Yixing stared at him in awe for a few seconds, but shook his head. “I’m sorry, did you just ‘shoo’ me?”

“I believe I just did,” The stranger said. “So why are you still here?”

“This isn’t over.” Yixing sat on the next vacant seat that he found and sulked all the way.

He did not even notice that he went down on the same stop as the stranger in the bus.

 

Yixing thought that his day could not get worse. He was just starting to forget about the bus incident as he drank his morning cup of coffee (two teaspoon of cream and two teaspoon of sugar). That was the situation until his boss went to his cubicle to introduce an employee that was recently transferred to their company AND to Yixing’s department.

Yixing is a good employee. The people in the office including his coworkers and the big guys upstairs admire him for his flawless system. He was strict, yet he was fair to everyone. They know that all you had to do was follow Yixing’s rules, and you would be sailing through cloud nine forever and ever. All in all, his image in the office is pretty nice, and he did not have any plans on ruining it.

That was until true until today.

He thought that he would have a heart attack when that person entered. If his boss was not there, he would pulverize that seat-stealing-jerk on the spot.

“Yixing,” his boss gestured to him. “This is Kris. You’ll be taking him under your wing from now on.”

“W… what…?” Yixing stammered as he stared at his boss with his mouth hanging open.

“Didn’t you understand what I just said?” His boss looked at him in confusion. “This is our new employee. He just transferred from the other branch. I want you to take care of him while he familiarizes himself with our office.”

“B… But, sir!” Yixing started to protest, and trying his best to avoid the other guy’s gaze.

His boss was starting to look at him in disapproval. “Is there a problem, Yixing?”

Yixing pursed his lips in contempt before replying. “No, sir.”

“Good.” His boss nodded in approval. “I hope you’ll be able to give Kris the warm welcome that our branch is famous about.”

Doubt it. Yixing said as he watched his boss walk away from the two of them so that the two of them could get “acquainted”.

This is it. He does not have any choice, but to communicate with this being. Maybe he should give this a chance. This Kris guy might not be bad at all.

“I am highly skeptic about the warm welcome that our boss just said,” Kris suddenly spoke up with his eyes narrowing. “But maybe you’re not as bad as I thought.”

It was exactly what Yixing was thinking. This guy…

“So how should we do this?” Kris heaved a sigh as he leaned back at the makeshift walls of the cubicles. “Shouldn’t you be getting me coffee right now?”

“What?!” Yixing gritted his teeth. “You…! Get it yourself!”

Kris raised an eyebrow. “That’s not exactly the nice welcome I was expecting… Maybe if I talk to the boss later I could mention…?”

Yixing stood rather violently from his seat as he glared at Kris from head to toe. “Fine.” And he went to the coffee room.

“The water must be at least 170 ml,” Kris called at Yixing. “Don’t put cream, but put 4 tablespoons of sugar… And don’t dare changing any measurements. I’d know!”

Yixing muttered curses under his breath.

 

As it turned out, that was just the start. As if the coffee incident was not enough, Yixing found out that his new coworker is on his way to make his life a living hell…

 

SITUATION #1: THE OFFICE CUBICLE

Unfortunately, Kris’ cubicle had to be the one beside Yixing’s.

He was just finishing his report when he found his concentration broken when he saw Kris walking back and forth on his already cramped up space.

“Could you please stop?” Yixing snapped at him. He was trying to hide his annoyance in his voice (which he noticed he was getting good at).

Kris looked at him. “Did I bother you?”

“Oh no…” Yixing’s answer was tainted with sarcasm. “That’s not the reason why I’m telling you to stop.”

“Well,” Kris rolled his eyes. “You’re bothering me too.”

“And how exactly did I bother you?” Yixing snarled. “What in the world are you doing anyway?”

“It’s my exercise, okay?” Kris started pacing around again. “It’s for my leg strength.”

“Right….” Yixing started typing once again. Sounds stupid… “I don’t see the point when you’re gonna sit in the office for 8 hours anyway.”

“Just mind your own ing business.” Kris retorted.

Yixing tried his best to ignore the annoying guy beside him. After a few minutes, it seemed like Kris had “finally” started to get to work. FINALLY…?

Kris cleared his throat all of a sudden from where he was sitting. “Yixing, can you move?”

Yixing turned to the distraction once again. “What do you mean?”

“Can you move a bit to your right?” Kris asked.

“Uhh… No.” Yixing scowled at him. This position is perfect. It has the exact distance when he reaches out to his trash bin on his left or answers his phone on the right. Besides, this is the only position where his knees would not hit the legs of his table.

“It’s just a bit.” Kris insisted. “It’s just when I look at my left, I could see a bit of your head, and it’s kind of an eyesore.”

Did he just call me an eyesore? Yixing was using all his willpower to not throw Kris the paperweight on his table. That was probably not a good idea.

“Too bad then,” Yixing answered coolly. “Deal with it.”

He was pretty sure he heard Kris huff rather loudly.

 

SITUATION #2: LUNCH TIME

 

Yixing was literally stomping his feet as he made his way to the office cafeteria for lunch. He could not believe that he was this stressed out already. At least he would have around an hour to take a break from seeing that Kris’ face.

And there is nothing like his precious (and custom made: only for him) Caesar salad lunch that could cure his headache right now. From the first time that he worked here, that was the only meal that he ate. It made him quite famous actually around the office. It was the only thing that fit in his well-planned diet sheet.

Well, that was what he thought when he found his lunch tray empty.

“Uhh, Kyungsoo,” Yixing addressed the wide eyed cook. “Where is my lunch?”

“Huh?” Kyungsoo looked at him in confusion. “Didn’t you get it already?”

“No, I just came in.” Yixing replied as he showed Kyungsoo the empty tray

“That’s odd.” Kyungsoo scratched his head. “I figured you already took it. I mean, everyone knows this tray is yours…”

Yixing felt a limp on his throat. He was already having a bad feeling about this.

“Do you want me to make you another one?” Kyungsoo offered.

However, Yixing’s appetite was already gone. “It’s okay, Kyungsoo. Just… See you tomorrow.”

He scanned the packed cafeteria with vengeful eyes, he saw his target immediately (coincidentally sitting in Yixing’s usual seat again). And sure enough, even though he was a few feet away from him, Yixing saw his Caesar salad being devoured by none other than the demon spawn named, Kris.

“Okay,” Yixing started. “You are eating my lunch.”

Kris looked up. “Stop bothering me. I don’t see your name on it.”

Yixing on the other hand smirked and grabbed the bowl of salad. “Oh, but it has.” Yixing showed him the bottom of the bowl, and like he said his name was written on it.

“See?” Yixing said proudly. He’s got the edge in this argument.

Kris eyebrows furrowed. “Obviously I didn’t “see”. Are you stupid? If you want everyone to know it’s your property, you’re not supposed to write it at the bottom.”

With a click of his tongue, he snatched the salad bowl from Yixing and started eating once again.

And Yixing walked out to save his dignity.

 

SITUATION #3: THE ELEVATOR

Yixing rides the elevator alone. Every time someone would get on while he was in it, he would get off until there was an available lift for him alone. He blamed this one for his incredibly awkward nature.

That was why he always tried to go hoe later than the others so that he could avoid any uncomfortable situation.

As always, Yixing stood in front of the elevator to go home. It was just a Monday, and he felt so drained already. All he wanted to do now is just lay on his bed until it was time for him to sleep (at 9pm sharp). Unfortunately, all the elevators that pass were all occupied.

“Why didn’t you ride the last one? It was going down.” Yixing rolled his eyes when he heard the annoyingly familiar voice.

“None of your business.” Yixing replied quietly.

“Weirdo…” Yixing heard Kris whispered.

“What about you?” Yixing snapped. “Why didn’t you get on?”

“It’s not the middle elevator” Kris said simply. “I only ride the middle elevator. It’s good to maintain balance.”

“And I’m the weirdo…?” Yixing muttered as the middle elevator opened.

To Yixing’s surprise, their boss was in it.

“Ah! Yixing, Kris!” Their boss called. “It’s good to see you two! Going down?”

“Yes, sir.” Kris answered as he nodded slightly.

“Okay, I’ll hold the elevator.”

Kris stepped in the lift, but Yixing stood rooted in his spot.

“What’s wrong, Yixing?” His boss inquired. “You’re not going down?”

“Yes, sir but…” Yixing trailed off. How was he supposed to tell his boss about his elevator habit?

One stern look from his boss later, Yixing found himself in the elevator with company for the first time in his life.

He could swear that he saw Kris with a slight smirk on his face.

 

“I SWEAR TO GOD, HE IS SUCH AN !” Yixing was pacing back and forth with his hands flailing everywhere as he recounted to Sehun and Luhan his day.

“Do you know how wrong that phrase sounded?” Sehun said.

Yixing ignored the remark, and instead continued with his story. “…And did you know that on the way back home, he stole my seat… AGAIN! It tried confronting him about it once more, but he just snarled at me!! The nerve of that person!! I swear, one day…”

From the corner of his eye, he saw Sehun and Luhan looked at each other with playful smiles on their faces.

“What’s that?” Yixing faced them as he halted and looked intently at the two.

“What?” Luhan said with his grin.

“That “look” you shared!” Yixing demanded. “It meant something! I know you two! What is it?”

“Okay, Yixing…” Sehun held up a hand to shut him up. “First things first. You have to relax.”

“Yeah, breathe Yixing…” Luhan demonstrated to him. “Inhale… Exhale…”

“I am relaxed…!” Yixing said defensively. “Just tell me what this is about!”

“Fine,” Sehun said while shaking his head. “Well, Luhan and I thought that he kinda sounded like you…”

“Like me…?” Yixing looked at the two as if they lost their minds. “LIKE ME?!”

“We told you, Yixing breathe…” Luhan said teasingly. “We just thought that… well… Don’t you think he’s perfect for you?”

“W… WHAAAAT?!” Yixing clutched his chest indignantly. “I am deeply insulted by what you just said.”

“For Pete’s sake… Stop being so dramatic!” Sehun rolled his eyes. “You do share a lot of similarities with him…”

“Oh Sehun, how dare you compare me to him!” Yixing pointed his finger at Sehun warningly.

“Why not?” Sehun shrugged. “Like the coffee thing for example… Who in their right mind measures how many ml you put in a cup?”

“Exactly!” Yixing gasped. “That’s weird!”

“Says the guy who goes ballistic when I put the wrong condiments in his coffee…” Sehun said quietly.

“And there’s the bus seat thing too…” Luhan suggested. “And the elevator, the salad…”

“Okay, okay…!” Yixing covered his ears.

“See?” Sehun said smirking.

“But he’s definitely not my type!” Yixing said with emphasis. “So you two better wipe those smirks off your faces.”

“What’s your type then?” Luhan raised an eyebrow.

Yixing smiled. “Someone who is at least 5 cm taller than me, with black hair, dark eyes, slightly tanned skin… A person who is kind, and understanding with a steady job… Preferably someone who’s got a better job than mine, so that he could spoil me a little… Oh, it wouldn’t hurt if he has a good voice too.”

Sehun and Luhan blinked at him a few times before laughing.

“What?” Yixing said while slightly blushing. “I put myself out there you two, and all you did was laugh. I’m hurt.”

“Dude… I’m sorry but,” Sehun said as he tried to control his laughing. “Type, schmype… You know in the long run, “type” won’t matter… If you find the right one, you’ll forget that type of yours… Usually he always turn out to be the opposite of what you’re looking for.”

“Ugh, thanks a lot for raining on my parade, man…” Yixing said miserably. “Wasn’t Luhan your type then?”

“Nope,” Sehun took Luhan’s hand. “He’s not my type… But he’s perfect.”

“Awww, Sehunnie!” Luhan cooed as he pulled his boyfriend for a kiss. “You’re perfect for me too!”

“Okay guys, you can stop the cheesine-…” Yixing said at the two when suddenly, Luhan got on top of Sehun. “Oh God. OH. GOD. You guys are gross… I don’t want to see that! Can’t you just wait for me to get out of the room?! UGH!”

Yixing frantically ran out to the door before the heated make out session becomes so much more. Luckily, he has his earplugs that he carries around the apartment all the time, whenever Sehun and Luhan would get into action.

Yixing sighed as he noticed the time.

Time to clean up. He could not stay up past his bedtime.

 

And so the saga continues. Yixing was not sure if it was just him, but he really think that the situation is much worse now. Aside from that, his desire to punch Kris more was getting bigger as each day passes. But he had tried getting by. It was fortunate that Kyungsoo makes two salads every lunch break, if not Yixing would have already jumped from the rooftop (okay, that was a bit too much).

However, Yixing also discovered that Kris was the biggest up he had met in his entire life. Of course, he had seen some of his coworkers being all too nice with their boss, but Kris… Kris was different, and Yixing was pretty sure that Kris likes to threaten him about their boss. This happens a lot especially when Yixing did not do anything that he wanted.

He was certain that Kris’ purpose in life was to ruin his.

But the thing that annoys him the most was the fact that the Kris seemed to have everyone in the office wrapped around his finger. Yixing knows that most of his coworkers ogle at him a lot. He had even seen some of them stammered while talking to him. Kris knew that apparently, because he made one of the female employees faint when he winked at her. She was sent home immediately.

Of course, how could they not? Kris… with his oh-so-perfect model-like look, and his deep voice, and his knowledge of four languages… And the way he walked as if he was on the runway. Damn…

But whenever Yixing thought about that, he would shake his head right away.

Whatever he looked outside, he knows about that evil creature within.

“Hey Yixing,” Kris called to him one day as he handed some documents. “You’re supposed to bring this to the accounting department.”

“Me?” Yixing frowned. “Aren’t you the one who’s supposed to bring that?”

“I can’t” Kris shook his head. “It’s on the 19th floor. I don’t go to prime numbered floors. I think it’s unlucky.”

“Ugh… Fine!” Yixing snatched the document away.

Yixing has a hunch that Kris was just plain lazy.

 

Yixing was not really a fan of weekends, but now he is.  This was the only time that he is free from the clutches of evil Kris, and he would enjoy it to the fullest. That was why, every Saturday, he woke up even before the sun goes up to jog around the river side.

He was just starting his run when he saw a familiar figure jogged past him.

This is not happening.

Yixing tried his best to slow down his pace so that he would not have to deal with that, but when he noticed that the passersby were overtaking him, he knew he would have to get a move on soon.

“Hey,” Kris greeted him.

“Hey,” Yixing answered as he tried to pass Kris to no avail.

“I didn’t know you jog here.” Kris said.

“Yeah, I didn’t know you jog here too.” Yixing answered plainly.

“That’s too bad then.” Kris shrugged as he sped up.

Yixing’s competitive side was in full swing now. Oh no you don’t!

He tried catching up to Kris, and when he did, he sped up some more. It was not that long when the other got the message and an unspoken race commenced.

Yixing with all his might did his best. Kris might have the longer legs, but he was pretty convinced that he was lighter. He poured out all of his frustrations and resentments that he felt all these times. Yixing wanted to win. Just this once, he wanted to win. He was going to do that, even if they ran the whole day.

He likes jogging, but he hated running. He hated how his breath would shorten or how his legs would be incredibly tired after. However, today was different; his pride was at stake here. And maybe, just maybe he would finally win against Kris.

“Okay! Okay!” Kris said after running for around 100 m. “You win.”

That’s… it?

“Come on, man!” Yixing complained. “Are you kidding me?! It’s not even that long and you’re giving up? I could literally see the starting point from our position!”

“I don’t like running!” Kris said as he catches his breath. “I don’t like getting tired… so you win!”

“I am insulted by this win.” Yixing said. “You just gave up. I did not even try.”

“What’s up with the drama?” Kris asked. “Come on, let’s just eat breakfast.”

 

“Xing, you just went on a date!” Sehun exclaimed when Yixing told him about what happened.

“Uhh, I’m pretty sure it’s not a date.” Yixing said defensively.

“Oh, our baby.” Luhan said dramatically as he acted like wiping some tears from his eyes. “Sehun, our baby’s finally growing up. I’m so proud.”

“Ugh…” Yixing slammed his face on the table. “You guys are not getting my point here! I finally won against Kris! Well, technically I won by default, but a win is still a win!”

“So when are you going to bring our son-in-law home?” Luhan piped.

“It’s not a date!” Yixing yelled.

“Yeah, you just had breakfast together.” Sehun said. “Sounds like a date to me.”

“We just ate the meal at the same time at the same place!” Yixing snapped. “It could just be two men who just decided to bro it up one Saturday morning.”

Sehun snorted. “I’m sorry but the use of the “bro-it-up” phrase just made your argument invalid.”

Yixing glared at him. “But still, it’s not a date!”

“It is when you like him.” Sehun smiled at him.

“I don’t!” Yixing screamed.

“Yeah right,” Luhan said. “From the moment that Kris guy entered your office; the only thing that you ever talked about was him.”

“W… What… I do not!” Yixing yelled once more though his voice was filled with doubt. He does not… Right…?

NO.

 

Despite what Sehun and Luhan told him, Yixing noted that following Monday that Kris did not change at all. In short, Kris was still the annoying jerk that he met. Although, Yixing found himself to be a lot more tolerable with him. That was it. Yixing was sure that he just found Kris’ antics to be TOLERABLE. Nothing else. Even the bus rides he shared with Kris became bearable. Sometimes, the two of them would talk; Decent talk where Yixing would not end up with a desire to punch or yell or kill Kris at the end.

On the other hand, (he would not admit this to his two roommates), but he was starting to look forward for the weekend, and the weekend after, and so on. The two of them would just casually jog together at the riverside, not really talking that much, and they would later proceed to eat breakfast after.

It was a usual Saturday, and like their previous ones, it was around the time they would part, when suddenly…

“We should go out next time.” Kris blurted out of nowhere. “You know, on a real, legit date.”

“Wait, what?” Yixing looked at him bewildered.

“Yeah,” Kris shrugged. “I mean, sure, these breakfast dates are fun and all but you’ve got to admit we need to move forward at least.”

So it is a date.

“I… Uhm…” Yixing fidgeted.

“Hey, if you don’t want to, it’s fine.” Kris raised his hands. “I just figured… We’ve been flirting back and forth and back and forth since our first meeting so I thought let’s just take the plunge, you know?”

He was flirting?!

In the end, Yixing said yes.

He ended up avoiding the “I told you so” look that Sehun and Luhan was giving him the whole day.

 

The next day, Yixing stood up restlessly in front of the mirror as he eyed himself with his suit. This had been the first date that he would be going to after a long time, and he was a bit clueless of the rules that apply to this situation. He does not even have a portion on his closet that was labeled “for DATING”. His palms were sweating profusely.

The previous night, he searched the internet of the dos and don’ts of dating. He also searched for some icebreakers in case the situation gets awkward. He has got to admit, he had an idea on his head how this date would hopefully turn out.

There was a sudden knock on the door, and Sehun and Luhan stood up at the doorway.

“Hey,” Sehun was smiling happily. “How are you holding up?”

“I don’t know.” Yixing shook his head.

“You’ll be fine.” Luhan assured him.

“Yeah, sure.” Yixing said nervously.

 

The whole night was… (there was no other words to describe it.)

A DISASTER.

Yixing met Kris around 7pm for dinner. He decided to take a cab, so that he can make sure that his outfit would stay still as possible. Unfortunately, there was a construction on the road, so there was a lot of traffic around the city, and the two of them arrived one hour late. Their reservation at the restaurant was not honored anymore.

And as if the fates were playing with them a little more, it started to rain. Since the two of them did not bring any umbrellas, the two of them were both drenched to the bones. They ended up under a bus stop. The two of them ate the sweet potatoes that Kris bought earlier while they wait for the bus. They just decided to call it a day.

Yixing was surprised when Kris got out of Yixing’s stop as well. The two of them walked under the rain in silence. For Yixing, he felt extremely sad and disappointed. He was the type of person who likes to plan everything, who makes sure that everything is going according to plan, who is obsessed of making everything perfect.

Perfect.

To make things perfect, one must follow rules.

Rules.

Yixing has rules.

That does not sound right…

Yixing had rules?

These past few weeks where did all his rules go?

He felt his stomach churning uncomfortably. He just felt like his world tilted a bit, and he felt so unnatural. It was strange. It was not exactly bad, but he was uncertain if it was good. This uncertainty bothers him, scares him even. Yixing was a careful person. He liked it when he was on his comfort zone and he felt like he was slowly getting farther away from it.

When they finally reached Yixing’s apartment, the both of them stood awkwardly at the doorway.

“Make sure you take a bath so that you won’t get sick.” Kris said.

“Okay.” Yixing nodded. “So I guess, good night then. See you tomorrow.”

Yixing was fumbling for his keys when Kris reached for his wrists.

“Listen, Yixing…” Kris said hesitantly. “I like you.”

Yixing stared at him in shock. The lump on his throat was getting heavier by the second. His heart was beating quite rapidly, and he was starting to panic. He felt like his whole life just passed flashed before his eyes…

 

“You’re not my type.”

 

He had no idea how he ended up in his bed, but when he opened his eyes the next day he was tucked in under the sheets. His head was throbbing slightly and he could feel his nose was getting runny. Yixing had never felt so crappy.

Something hurts inside him.

He was just not sure if it was just his body or his heart.

For the first time since he was born, Yixing called in sick for work.

“Hey,” Sehun said as he brought a tray of breakfast in his room. “How are you feeling?”

“Horrible.” There was an underlying message to it, and he was pretty sure that Sehun got it.

“Eat.” Sehun sat beside Yixing’s bed. “You’ll need energy.”

“I screwed up, Sehun.” Yixing sat up on the bed.

“Tell me what happened.” Sehun said.

Yixing recounted the story as his best friend fed him. Sehun did not say anything, and just listened to him.

“…And that’s it.” Yixing hung his head. “I’m a terrible person.”

“You’re not.” Sehun wiped Yixing’s mouth.

“I am…” Yixing said. “You know that feeling when you get all panicky when you go to a date… How you’re anxious to make everything like those dates we see on TV…? I wanted that, Sehun. I really wanted that. It’s like how you were when you went to your first date with Luhan. You know? I saw how you prepared for the whole thing and I remember you bugging me all night, because you couldn’t sleep…”

Sehun chuckled at the memory. “Yeah, I remember that.”

“See?” Yixing sighed.

“But Yixing,” Sehun shook his head. “You can’t expect everything to be perfect. Nothing is perfect. Even my first date with Luhan did not turn out like how I thought about it in my head…”

“But you said everything about Luhan was perfect.” Yixing said.

Sehun smiled. “Xing, of course, everything about him is… But you know what, it only becomes perfect once you accepted the fact that it’s not. That’s what makes me fall for him more.”

“But that’s why there’s rules…” Yixing said. “And Kris… He’s not what I…”

“You and your rules…” Sehun flicked his forehead. “Have you ever here about ‘exception to the rule’? For every rule, there is an exception… If there are none, we’d all be dead by now.”

Yixing could not help but smile at this.

“You know,” Sehun said as he settled the tray down and handed Yixing his medicines, which the latter drank willingly. “You need to stop listening to this (he poked at Yixing’s forehead.), and start listening to this (he pointed at Yixing’s heart.).

“Thanks, Sehun.” Yixing smiled.

“It’s nothing.” Sehun stood up. “Make sure you get well soon. He called by the way.”

“Who?” Yixing blinked.

“My son-in-law.” Sehun joked. “But seriously, he’s worried about you.”

 

It was a cold afternoon, and Kris was on his way back home. He was on his way to his usual seat on the bus when his seat was occupied with… Let’s just say there was a smile on his face as he approached this person.

“Excuse me, sir?” There was a slight laughter on Kris’ voice. “I think you’re on my seat.”

“I am?” Yixing raised an eyebrow.

“Yes.” Kris answered playfully.

“I don’t see your name on it.” Yixing was smiling as well. “But you see I was waiting for someone.”

“Really?” Kris crossed his arms. “Who?”

Yixing chuckled. “Just some guy… He actually stole this seat away from me. Well, one of the many others.”

“What a horrible person!” Kris said theatrically.

“I know right?” Yixing nodded. “But it’s okay, I like him too much, my heart can’t just say no.”

“Really?” Kris raised an eyebrow. “Mind if take this seat beside you while you tell me more about him?”

“Hmmm…” Yixing pretended to think about it for a few seconds. “What the hell. Fine then…”

 

 

When Yixing went downstairs, he found Kris looking rather flustered as Sehun and Luhan sat across him silently, but looking at his boyfriend rather intently.

“You guys,” Yixing rolled his eyes at the two as he approached Kris. “Stop making him uncomfortable.”

“I’m sorry!” Sehun whined. “We’re just shocked that you told him he’s not your type!”

“I know!” Luhan still eyeing Kris. “I can’t believe you did not jump onto him on your first meeting!”

“You are both so embarrassing!” Yixing gasped as he turned to Kris. “You ready?”

“Y… yeah…” Kris said as he reached for Yixing’s hand.

“You two are so cute!” Luhan chirped.

“But not as cute as us, right?” Sehun said as he started “glomping” his boyfriend rather enthusiastically.

“OH GOD.” Yixing tried to cover Kris’ eyes that widened in shock. “WE’RE OUT IN A FEW MINUTES, CAN’T YOU TWO WAIT?! YOU’RE SCARING KRIS!”

All they heard we’re giggles as Yixing hurriedly pulled Kris outside. He was sure he heard Sehun calling out ‘Till next time, son-in-law!’.

“Uhm…” Yixing said as he did a facepalm. “Sorry about that, those two could not control their hormones sometimes… You must be so horrified… I’m so sor…”

But he was cut off when Kris leaned down to press their lips together, and it was awesome. Mind-blowing even. It did not take a genius for Yixing to respond. With his arms wrapped around Kris’ neck, he felt the kiss deepen. It was pretty understandable that they were both panting when they parted a bit later for air.

Kris laughed a little. “I’m sorry, I couldn’t control my hormones either.”

Yixing smiled in return. “That’s okay. This time I guess I’ll make an exception.”

And he went for another kiss.

 

~end~

 


 

Ahhh~~~!!! You guys! I finally finished this oneshot! I was going to finish this last Tuesday, but things got in the way (good things). I went home for the holidays! Yay~! And the first thing I did was well… Procrastinate! (And I was kind of waiting for that Dec. 21, 2012 thing… so I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to write something or not.. Lmao. JK.).

But I’m really happy I finished this before Christmas!

This is for my most favorite cousin in the whole wide world~!!

To all of you, Merry Christmas!

Thanks for reading!!

…and

Merry Chrithmath, cuth! Love you!

Jaa~

 

P.S.: Oh, and I’ll start writing my update other fic later~ Can’t wait! Oh holidays~~ ^^