Chapter Three

Eighteen

“Okay, class dismissed. Don’t forget to start thinking about your senior quotes! They’re due in two weeks.” Ms. Kwon reminded the class.

 

Tiffany grabbed her belongings and glided out of the classroom. Yunho was waiting for her at the staircase leading into the lair. She smiled.

 

She considered Yunho her best friend. He had always been there for her, ever since they were children. They met through mutual friends at the playground. She offered him a spot in the small sandbox.

 

The rest was history, you could say.

 

“Yunho oppa, how was the rest of your day?” She gave him a hug, but didn’t notice how his embrace lasted a second too long.

 

“It was okay, I mean, I’m tired of school already.” Yunho replied.

 

“Don’t you have to talk to Sooyoung now?” She inquired. She opened her locker, clutching her books to her chest.

 

Yunho let out a long sigh. “I’m worried about the two of them. Sooyoung and Changmin. We’re running out of time.”

 

“What do you mean exactly? I think we can still do it. We just need to change the plan, that’s all.” Tiffany said matter-of-factly. She was still confident that Changmin would crack and give Sooyoung a chance.

 

“But I’m at my wits’ end with this. Changmin is always irritated with Sooyoung, and she isn’t discreet about her feelings for him. She can barely speak around him. I’ve had enough of trying to be wingman for something that isn’t going to work.” Yunho leaned against the locker, tracing the edge of Tiffany’s binder absentmindedly.

 

“Maybe we’re going about this in the wrong way. We have to change Sooyoung, considering how it would take literally years to change Changmin.” Tiffany suggested.

 

“Changing Sooyoung? Just for one guy? I don’t care if he’s one of our friends, I like the way Sooyoung is right now.”

 

Tiffany scoffed. “Oh please, Sooyoung has many characteristics that she needs to improve. Watch, here she comes right now. Soo!” Tiffany waved Sooyoung over to where they were standing.

 

Sooyoung flashed a bright smile at Yunho and Tiffany. “Hi guys! Tiff, do you wanna work out  at 4? I feel kinda fat after eating all those cupcakes at lunch.”

 

“Yes, but can you carry my books for me? I’m gonna head over to the college counselor with Yunho to discuss college apps, I’m really craving some raspberry scones too. Can you pick some up and bring them back here? After you go to my car and drop the books off there, of course.” Tiffany recited nonchalantly, as if she ordered her around like this on a daily basis.

 

Sooyoung stepped back from Tiffany, not knowing what to do. “What?” Tiffany never asked her to run errands for her before. But if this was what she wanted, then Sooyoung would help her out.

 

She sighed, but smiled nonetheless. “Sure unnie, if you need me too.”

 

Tiffany then smirked at Yunho, who scratched his head. “Okay, you’re right. Sooyoung, Tiffany and I have to talk to you…”

 

Sooyoung frowned. “What do you mean? I have to get those scones for Tiff.” She started to rustle through her bag to get her keys. Yunho touched her wrist, stopping her.

 

“What’s wrong? Both of you are scaring me.” Sooyoung repeated.

 

Tiffany wrinkled her nose. “Yunho and I have decided to interfere in your way of living. We want to help you change.”

 

Sooyoung looked at her two friends for a long moment, then let out a loud, hearty laugh. “What nonsense are you two up to today? What changes do you mean?”

 

“We want to make you a better person.”

 

Sooyoung was starting to get angry. Nothing was wrong with her, right? “What are you trying to say? I’m lost right now.”

 

Yunho interjected. “Look, all of us are worried about you.” He looked at Tiffany, who nodded to continue.

 

“I’m perfectly fine though. I’m the same old Sooyoung as I’ve always been.” Sooyoung loosened the grip on her keys, not liking where this conversation was going. Her eyes turned into narrow slits, set in a thin line.

 

“Sooyoung-“

 

“No, what are you attempting to tell me? That the way I am isn’t good enough for you two?”

 

Tiffany shook her head furiously. “Just listen to us, will you? You don’t even know what we’re about to say.”

 

Sooyoung became more angry. “I don’t need to change! You’re just making me feel pathetic. I don’t need to change for anyone!”

Yunho groaned. “If you ever want a chance with Changmin, then you need to change.”

 

She relaxed at the sound of his name. Her knees started to feel weak, however, when the realization set in.

 

“So pretty much, you’re saying that Changmin will never feel the same way.” Sooyoung was crestfallen. She had known it all along, but she didn’t want to give up on him. The outright rejection would hurt even more than her one-sided love. And now she was hearing it from her best friends.

 

“No! It’s just that Changmin’s type is not as…”

 

“Obsessed? Stupid? Pitiful?” This time, Sooyoung’s laugh was hoarse and sharp. Never in her life had she felt more pathetic than at that very moment. Perhaps it was for her newfound maturity she acquired over the summer, but suddenly her insane crush on Changmin felt childish. And it only took a confrontation from Yunho and Tiffany to confirm it.

 

“I’m sorry, Sooyoung.” Tiffany said softly. “But we have a plan! A plan to get him to fall head over heels with him.”

 

“I don’t want to hear it.” She replied coldly.

 

Tiffany’s smile fell. “Huh? You don’t want to hear about something that pertains to Changmin?”

 

“I realized that you’re absolutely right, I do need to change. And the first order of business is that I need to get over my petty obsession with him.”

 

Yunho was puzzled. “We didn’t insinuate that at all. You’re not obsessed. It’s just that Changmin hasn’t realized you’re perfect for him.”

 

Sooyoung gave him a sad smile. “You’re funny, Yunho. You don’t have to worry any longer. From this moment on, I’m going to try to forget about Changmin.”

 

~~~~~

 

“SHIM CHANGMIN! I HATE YOU!” Sooyoung yelled from the top of her lungs. She was at the apex of the small hill behind the parking lot of Whimoon. It was 8 PM, so no one was at the school to hear her curses toward Changmin and shouts of frustration.

 

“WHY CAN’T YOU JUST FEEL THE SAME WAY?! I’VE LOVED YOU FOR SO LONG, BUT NOT ANYMORE!” Sooyoung felt her anger diminishing as tears threatened to spill from the corners of her big eyes.

 

“Oh, what’s the use? He never cared. Not once. Besides, all I’m saying is lies. Pure… Lies…” Sooyoung told herself. She started to sob, and her knelt down, locking her arms around her shins.

 

“Don’t cry.” Sooyoung stopped crying when she heard a deep voice behind her. She whipped around to find herself facing a tall boy her age. He looked shy, yet upset at seeing her in this condition.

 

“How did you get up here? Did you hear everything? Who are you? What do you want?” Sooyoung was frightened at his sudden presence and slightly embarrassed. She wiped her tears away, meeting the stranger’s gaze with caution.

 

All he did was shake his head at her. “I can’t stand to see girls cry. It bothers me. Especially when they cry over Shim Changmin.”

 

“You know Changmin?” She asked him.

 

“I go to Whimoon. I’m in your class.” The boy stepped forward, not wanting to scare her any further, but to comfort her.

 

“So how come I’ve never seen you around?” Sooyoung was suspicious now.

 

“I don’t know, I’ve been at this school for four years now. You’ve never noticed me?” He chuckled, as if remembering something funny.

 

“No, I don’t know everyone in our class. How do I know you’re know a creepy bastard that wants to me? I’ll have you know, I carry around a whistle with me!”

 

“Whoa there. That won’t be necessary, Sooyoung. You ask too many questions, you know that?”

 

“How do you know my name?” Sooyoung started to panic.

 

He pondered this, his chin. “I’ve watched you for a while.”

 

Sooyoung gasped. “Are you stalking me? That’s it, I’m calling the police!” She grabbed her phone, ready to dial the number.

 

“Ugh, I didn’t mean to sound like that. What I mean to say was that I’ve seen you come up here a lot. This is my place, too.” He walked to her slowly, crouching down. She felt self-conscious.

 

“Are you in any of my classes?”

 

“I was in three of your classes last year. I’m surprised you don’t even know me.” His brown eyes made him look like a puppy.

 

Sooyoung’s eyes widened. “I’m so sorry. What’s your name?”

 

“Cho Kyuhyun.” He was glad she was relaxed now.

 

“If you don’t mind me asking, how many times have you seen me up here?”

“Several.” He replied shortly.

 

A silence passed over them. After a while, Kyuhyun placed his hand on hers.

 

“What are you doing?” Sooyoung’s eyes were dry now, and she couldn’t help but wonder what his intentions were.

 

“So you really like Changmin, huh?” Kyuhyun kept his warm hand over her cold one, and it felt like he was burning her skin.

 

She stared straight ahead. “Past tense, I liked him. But he’ll never feel the same. I’m tired of chasing something that isn’t there.”

 

“Why? Why do you like him?”

 

Sooyoung thought about this for a moment. “He’s perfect. There’s nothing flawed about him.”

 

“Isn’t that boring though? Your imperfections set you apart from someone else.” He countered, studying her.

 

“I suppose. But I fell in love with him in eighteen seconds.” She said wearily.

 

“Eighteen seconds? What’s the significance of that?”

 

“You see, eighteen is my favorite number. The number eighteen means a lot to me. And when I saw Changmin for the first time, I closed my eyes. I wanted to see if my father’s theory worked. I counted to eighteen and opened them. I admired everything about Changmin, and even after eighteen seconds, I still felt the same. I fell in love.”

 

He looked at her weirdly. “You’re a quirky girl. I like it.”

 

Sooyoung wasn’t used to attention from a boy like this. She blushed. “Thanks.”

 

“So tell me more. How could you be sure it wasn’t infatuation?”

 

“It’s hard to explain. I may have been young, but I knew it was love. I felt something so strong for him, and sadly, it’s still there.” Her eyes were downcast.

 

Kyuhyun hummed to himself, as if thinking of another question to throw at her. After crying, Sooyoung felt tired. She wanted to go home and sleep. She yawned.

 

“What’s this about your father’s theory?”

 

Sooyoung wanted to cry again. “My father’s dead.”

 

“I’m sorry. You don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to.”

“No, it’s fine. My father would always give me the best advice when I was little. I will never forget the words he told me the night before he passed away. He taught me what true love really was through his relationship with my mom. He told me that he fell in love with her in eighteen seconds.” Sooyoung was bleary again.

 

“Oh, it all makes sense now. You know what, Sooyoung?”

 

“What now, Kyuhyun?” She felt exasperated with his questions.

 

“That’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever heard. I think another door is opening in your life as of tonight.”

 

“I don’t understand.” Sooyoung stared at Kyuhyun. She was intrigued by him. She liked how he gave her his full attention. Changmin never did that. But she still wished it was him having this conversation with her right now.

 

“They say that when one door in your life closes, another one opens.” Kyuhyun stood up, turned around, and left without another word.

 

It was dark and she couldn’t see where he went. “Wait, where did you go?” She called out into the darkness, but he wasn’t there.