A Little More Conversation

In Bloom

 

 

Kyungsoo's hand curled around his phone and he hesitated for a few seconds before accessing his inbox.

From: Kim Jongin
See you on
 Thursday. Looking forward to it.

He stared at the potted gardenia. Thursday was two and a half days away. But Kyungsoo didn’t want to wait two and a half more days. Besides, the plant might not survive that long if he didn’t ask Jongin how to look after it. That was it! He had to ask how much water to use – the gardenia’s survival literally depended on him calling Jongin. As he waited for him to pick up, Kyungsoo ignored the butterflies in his stomach – just as he stubbornly ignored the inner voice that scoffed at his ridiculous excuse for calling Jongin.

When he heard the other man’s deep voice utter ‘hello’ in a slightly confused way, Kyungsoo’s nervousness got the better of him and the words spilled out of him in speedy tangle – saying how sorry he was for calling so late and asking how much water he needed for the gardenia. He tried to disregard all the things Jongin’s low, husky voice made him feel as he carefully told Kyungsoo how to look after his gardenia plant. Kyungsoo somehow sensed that Jongin would approach most things in life in the same kind, patient and careful way he was teaching Kyungsoo how to care for his plant. As Jongin reached the end of his little briefing, Kyungsoo realized that he didn’t want the conversation to end just yet, so he tried to keep things going.

"Thanks so much for the help, Jongin. I hope I didn't interrupt anything?"

"No, no! You definitely weren't interrupting. I was just, um, rereading one of my favorite books and it's not like I don't know what's going to happen next or how it's going to end. What about you? What were you doing before this?" Kyungsoo noted with relief that Jongin seemed to want to continue talking too.

"So what are you reading? I'd love to know what kind of books you like. As for what I was doing? Trying to figure out how to water the gardenia to be honest," Kyungsoo chuckled.

“I’m rereading Book 3 of The Belgariad. It’s a fantasy series by David Eddings. I don’t suppose you’ve heard of David Eddings? It’s a pretty old series but … yeah, I’ve reread it a few times. I get like that about books I love. Lame, right?”

“I guess I must be equally lame then. I like David Eddings and I’ve read The Belgariad and The Mallorean. Twice!” Kyungsoo admitted and they naturally launched into an animated ten-minute discussion on fantasy authors that they liked. The words just flowed easily between them as they found much in common to talk about - which was just as well as it distracted Kyungsoo from the fact that he was really beginning to like Kim Jongin. Perhaps a little too much.

At some point, Kyungsoo asked Jongin how he had ended up working in a flower shop and Jongin hesitated before answering, “When I was growing up, my mom loved gardening. We lived in the suburbs and our house wasn’t real big, but it had a huge garden. And my mom, well she used to plant all kinds of flowers but her favorites were purple tulips. She planted a whole bed of them beneath the front window so she could see them from inside the sitting room. I spent a lot of time helping her in the garden. My brother left for college when I was 8 so it was just her and me at home mostly, and I guess you could say we hung out a lot,” Jongin chuckled but Kyungsoo wasn’t sure if it was a happy sound. “She taught me to love flowers and to understand what they signify. I’ve been surrounded by flowers for most of my life so I guess it was only natural I’d end up working with them.”

“Do you still see her much? Because I mean you live in the city now. Or did you guys move here together? Sorry, I can’t believe I just asked you something so personal. Just ignore that, please? I swear I don’t normally ask people things like that. I guess I just … want to know more about you.”

"It's - I don't mind, Kyungsoo. I don't usually even tell people this much to be honest. I just don't tell people much of anything, really. I mean I'm sure you've noticed that I'm usually a little ... quiet." Kyungsoo could just hear Jongin sighing in resignation after making that stuttering, heartfelt admission.

"I'm not the most talkative guy myself, Jongin, so we're pretty even, I'd say. Anyway, just ignore my questions about your mom. It was rude of me to ask."

"I'd like to answer them actually - if you still want to listen," Jongin said almost shyly and Kyungsoo hastily encouraged him to continue.

"My mom passed away a few years back. She was ill. Cancer."

"I'm so sorry to hear that. You must miss her."

"I do sometimes, but working with flowers helps because they remind me of her - like in a good way. They remind me of her as she was when she was healthy and happy, you know? I feel a little connected to her that way so I can't honestly see myself doing anything else. But anyway, that's enough about me. How about you? How did you end up being an accountant?"

"I became an accountant because I'm boring?" Kyungsoo laughed, trying to lighten the mood.

"You're not boring! You're great to talk to - I mean you even make me forget I'm supposed to be shy sometimes."

"Wait, was that a compliment?" Kyungsoo teased.

"Yes, yes it was," Jongin's low, self-conscious chuckle was deeply attractive, making Kyungsoo feel all warm inside.

"Okay how did I become a boring accountant ... I was always good with numbers but I at Physics so Engineering wasn't an option for me and computers hate me soooo. You could say I kind of 'fell into' accounting because I didn't know what else to do. But I don't regret it. I don't love it but I don't hate it either. It's a job.” Then Kyungsoo paused for a few seconds before asking, “Jongin, what do you usually do on weeknights?” Kyungsoo cringed at how obvious he was being about not wanting to end their chat.  

“I live a really boring, quiet life. I usually eat at home on my own and then I watch TV and read a book. Embarrassingly quiet life for a guy in his twenties. My friends drag me out every now and then so that I don’t become a complete social reject but I’m not a big fan of crowded places so … yeah, there you have it – my boring life.” Jongin sounded practically sheepish when he was done answering.

“It sounds a lot like my life, to be honest. We should hang out one of these nights so we don’t have to … you know, eat alone.” Kyungsoo decided there was nothing to lose in asking Jongin out for dinner because the worse that could happen was that he’d say no. And the best outcome was that he’d say yes.

“I’d really like that.” He said yes!

And that’s when his phone started beeping quite insistently and he glared at it, the thought crossing his mind that if this phone were human, it would probably be named Kim Jongdae. Then he glanced at the time on the screen and realized they’d been on the phone for half an hour!

“Jongin, that’s the sound of my battery dying so I should go.” Kyungsoo hoped the reluctance in his voice wasn’t too obvious but if Jongin picked up on it, he didn’t let on.

“I’ll see you Thursday after lunch, ok? I um … really enjoyed our chat. Good night, Kyungsoo,” he sounded endearingly awkward.

“Thursday after lunch, yup. I enjoyed myself too. Good night, Jongin.” He had just enough time to say ‘Good night, Jongin’ before the phone cut off. Kyungsoo’s emotions were in a swirling, disorderly mess and mess was something he normally hated – except he didn’t hate it this time. Because this time it was caused by Kim Jongin, who was in very much the same category as grunge music and gardenias. He would somehow find space in his ordered existence for all three, no matter what.

Kyungsoo stared at the four gardenia blooms which adorned the plant on his coffee table. The white petals didn’t stand out in his apartment the way the vivid green leaves did but they added the same quiet burst of life. Suddenly, Thursday seemed even further away than it had before the phone call. The gardenias seemed to be mocking him and Kyungsoo sighed heavily.

Two and a half more days. He could do this.

-----

Kyungsoo managed to make it through Tuesday without texting or calling or seeing Jongin – and thankfully without killing his new potted plant. But it was Wednesday now and his resolve was beginning to crumble perceptibly. He had gotten off at Crossepoint, his usual train stop, and was now on his way to the Meyer Building. Perhaps it was the fact that he’d been distracted all week but he found himself inexplicably observing the goings on around him today – the expressionless, almost grim faces of passersby as they strode briskly by. Most of them had their heads angled to the ground, one hand toting a briefcase while the other was jammed into a trouser or skirt pocket. Everyone seemed to be hurtling swiftly towards their destination without registering anyone or anything around them. He imagined he was just as disconnected on most days and he didn’t like how the realization made him feel. Perhaps he had been getting too accustomed to a neatly compartmentalized life, mostly absent of color.

Perhaps it was time to let some color into his gray existence, Kyungsoo thought as he reached for his phone. But before he could even access his contacts, a text came in. It was from Jongin – asking if he could come by after lunch that day. Kyungsoo’s fingers practically tripped over each other in their haste to type: ‘Yes! See you after lunch! :)’ He placed the heel of his palm in the centre of his forehead and shook his head in disbelief. He did not just use a smiley. Do Kyungsoo did not use emoticons. Do Kyungsoo was an adult. Do Kyungsoo was an accountant. What in the hell was he doing?! His phone buzzed. No words. Just a ‘:)’ … and the realization that a 1.5 day wait had just unexpectedly dropped to 5 hour wait. As bubbles of anticipation coursed through Kyungsoo’s veins, he found himself smiling for real.

-------

"Baek? You got time for a coffee?"

"Since when do you take unscheduled coffee breaks?" Baekhyun looked amused but he was already pushing his chair back and standing up to join Kyungsoo. 

"Since I started having panic attacks during office hours. Just ... don't ask, ok? I need company which isn't Jongdae." Kyungsoo looked unsettled and nothing at all like the composed, buttoned-up individual he normally was at work. Baekhyun followed his colleague unquestioningly as he headed for the company cafeteria. 

Kyungsoo stared deeply into the white, porcelain mug of steaming, black coffee. The dark surface was still swirling from when he'd stirred it earlier. It was a nervous habit because he never actually added any sugar to his coffee. 

"You ok?" Baekhyun probed quietly. He wasn't the sort to pry but the other man looked like he needed to get something off his chest. 

"I'm not sure, to be honest," Kyungsoo continued peering into the dark liquid before him as if it held the answers to all life's questions. "You know I like things to have structure, right? I mean I don't like surprises and I don't like sudden changes?"

"Yeah, that sounds like you," Baekhyun nodded sagely. 

"So all of a sudden, my life is full of surprises and unplanned changes and this should be upsetting me, right? But it's not. Why am I not upset? Isn't that ... well, weird?"

"I don't think there's anything weird about it at all, Soo. If anything it's probably more strange that your life has been so structured all these years. I mean you're only in your 20s but you're always so cautious, ya know?" Baekhyun eyed him speculatively, "Does this have anything to do with the flowers you got on Monday? Is this about the secret admirer?"

"You could say that, I guess. Who am I trying to kid? This is totally about him," Kyungsoo sighed frustratedly, "I'm probably wrong about who it is even, but I really want to be right. Does that make any sense?"

"Kind of," Baekhyun chuckled, "So you really like this guy, huh? Who is he? You said he blushes a lot?"

"I've got this gut feeling it's the delivery guy. His name is Jongin and he's shy and he works in a flower shop because flowers remind him of his mom and he's just so ... and I just ... Yeah.  Sorry, I'm not making much sense."

"You're making enough sense. And this is probably the first time I've seen you so flustered - not your style at all. He must really be something, huh?" Baekhyun rested his palm on Kyungsoo's shoulder in a comforting gesture. 

"I don't like feeling like I've lost control of things." Kyungsoo looked mildly distressed.

"Control is overrated, if you ask me. You should just go where this takes you. If you really like this guy - whether he's the secret admirer or not - ask him out. So what if life gets a little out of control? Life's meant to be messy and yours has been mess- free for way too long. I reckon it could do with some shaking up." 

Kyungsoo was thoughtful as he listened to Baekhyun's advice. He supposed he could do with a bit more excitement in his life. Then he took a sip of coffee and shuddered. God, it was bitter. 

-------

Jongin had texted him 5 minutes earlier to say he was almost at MeyerCorp and Kyungsoo had been pacing nervously back and forth in Baekhyun's cubicle since. It was right next to the reception area so it gave Kyungsoo the perfect vantage point. 

"Dude, calm down. I've never seen you so anxious," Baekhyun shook his head as Kyungsoo peeked at the reception area for the third time. 

Kyungsoo glared at him then froze as he heard the 'ding' of the elevator. An index finger pressed against his lips, Kyungsoo observed furtively as Jongin's lanky figure emerged into view. His trim, long legs were clad in white jeans today and he wore a navy blue v-necked tee which he'd tucked neatly into the waistband of his jeans. Kyungsoo couldn't help noting how attractively slim Jongin's hips were. And then there were the tanned arms and his handsome face. Kyungsoo sighed in trepidation. He wasn't going to lie to himself - he was far too aware of Kim Jongin and his physical assets. 

He watched quietly as Jongin self-consciously combed his long, silky fringe with elegant fingers, his eyes almost crossing as he looked up at the strands poking at his eyes. Then he carefully brushed the fabric of his tee. Kyungsoo's chest felt heavy with some unnamed emotion as he watched Jongin fuss with his appearance. It was like Jongin was making an effort to look his best for him and that consumed Kyungsoo with a whole plethora of feelings he wasn't sure he was ready for. Lost in his reverie, he barely registered the metallic sound made by the reception bell. Still overwhelmed, Kyungsoo turned desperately to Baekhyun, "I need a minute, Baek. Please?"

Sighing, Baek muttered, "The things I do for my friends," and disappeared behind the divider. Kyungsoo watched as the two men interacted briefly and then before he knew it, Baek was pushing him gently in the direction of the reception area and encouraging him softly, "Ok, you got your minute, Soo. He's waiting for you. Whaiting." 

"Hi, how are you?" Kyungsoo's smile came naturally as he came face-to-face with the beautiful delivery guy.

"Good, I'm good. How about you?" Jongin's smile was shy but sincere.

"I'm good. So, I think I'd better sign that delivery receipt thingy first before we forget and you have to come back again," Kyungsoo laughed embarrassedly at his own lame stab at humor. Both Jongin and him were trying not to look at each other, but they kept taking tentative glances at each other. Jongin passed him the clipboard over and waited as Kyungsoo signed the delivery order. But as he was about the return the document, Jongin sheepishly told him he had to sign for another delivery.

"Huh? Me?"

Jongin carefully placed a small terracotta pot of vivid orange tulips on the counter while Kyungsoo gaped.

"Another delivery of flowers for me? But who?" 

"It's not signed." Jongin said quietly, looking down at his feet.

"They're just amazing, Jongin. Are you sure you can't tell me who sent them?"  Kyungsoo tried to sound as persuasive as possible.

"I'm sorry but I can't. Company policy, remember?" Jongin said it apologetically but his expression was evasive - guilty even. 

"Jongin, I don't suppose you know what they mean? Orange tulips, I mean?"

"Um ... Orange tulips symbolize fascination, and happiness and warmth and yeah, that's about it, I guess." Jongin smiled awkwardly.

"They're really lovely and you're going to have to teach me how to look after them so I don't end up killing them! So I was wondering, if you haven't made any plans - would you like to maybe grab some dinner tonight? I know this great gamjatang place in Springvale. It's called Potato Palace." Jongin gave a burst of husky laughter at the silly name and Kyungsoo chuckled too, "Don't laugh! I know it's a really hokey name but their gamjatang is the best in town and since we both have to eat ... I mean if you're not doing anything and you like gamjatang."

"Yes!" Jongin blurted out his answer, his ears tinged an endearing shade of pink. 

"Yes, you have plans? Or yes you'd like to have dinner with me? Or yes you like gamjatang?"

"Dinner! I mean I'd love to have dinner! And um, I like gamjatang too." Jongin winced visibly at how clumsy his answer had been. Kyungsoo found it unbelievably adorable. Then, surprisingly, Jongin offered to pick him up from his apartment so Kyungsoo took out one of his name cards and wrote down his home address in his neat, angular handwriting. Jongin tucked it inside his beaten up brown leather wallet, then said he had to get back to work and he'd see him at 7.30. 

As the steel doors slid shut, Kyungsoo's face broke into a wide grin. 5 more hours.

---------

Ok first of all, I'm so so so sorry I haven't updated in a while but I was at the GDAs this week and OMG! EXO (ok and SHINee and GD and CN Blue and everybody else eep!)! I got to see EXO! And Kai! And Suho! They  were literally 10 feet from where I was and they fricking hugged! Eep! Ok enough spazzing - please forgive me but it's only been a few days, otl.

Here, if anyone wants to watch my vid - check out Kai's almost pirouette

Thanks to all of my readers and subbies and lots of love to those of you who have taken the trouble to comment because comments really keep me going! 

So Chapter 10 is mostly about Kyungsoo accepting that he has feelings for Jongin - even if this is going to mess up his neat little life. And orange tulips to add more color to his life - pay attention to the tulips ok because they play a bigger role later ...