Sun-kissed

In Bloom

 

 
Fortunately for all involved, Yixing was a man of his word and forcibly ejected Jongdae from the area less than three minutes after his untimely arrival. He wasn’t able to do much damage in three minutes and Kyungsoo noted that he let Yixing commandeer him away without putting up much protest. Malleability was not a trait one associated with Kim Jongdae, and yet here he was leaving quietly. He really needed to broach the subject with Yixing about exactly what had happened while the two had gone bar hopping on their own.  Then Kyungsoo's mind went blank with desire as Jongin's fingers forged a maddeningly slow and sensual path across his thigh, which went from tantalizing to torturous when those tanned artistic fingers caressed the bare skin exposed by his not quite knee length shorts. The need to "get alone" had just suddenly become overwhelming.
 
"So Jun, as I was trying to say just now before Jongdae barged in, we really need to be somewhere.  Why don't you guys go have some Spanish coffee at La Cafetería on the corner of Fig and Maple? Since you guys like Spanish food?" Kyungsoo tried to sound as casual as possible as he caught Jongin's hand in his in a desperate attempt to make him stop.
 
"Chanyeol, do you have the time to ...?" Junmyeon let his question trail off hopefully.
 
"Coffee sounds great." Chanyeol's eyes lit up with interest. The tall gangly man really was quite transparent about enjoying Junmyeon's company and Kyungsoo was glad because Junmyeon was about the nicest person he knew and he deserved to have someone who made him smile like Chanyeol made him smile.
 
"You should definitely go, Yeol. Tell me what the place is like later." Jongin added encouragingly, surreptitiously trying to pry his fingers out of Kyungsoo's so he could continue tormenting him. 
 
"Sure will, Jongin."
 
"See you at work tomorrow then." Jongin got up to leave and they said their goodbyes to Junmyeon and Chanyeol before making a somewhat hasty exit from the restaurant.  They were both walking briskly towards the elevator, Kyungsoo's hand firmly gripping Jongin's elbow.
 
"That was mean, tempting me like that in the restaurant," Kyungsoo complained as Jongin struggled not to grin.
 
"I couldn't resist hyung, I'm sorry."
 
"You are not sorry!"
 
"Not really," Jongin grinned mischievously.
 
The first time they had ridden in an elevator together, they'd both been so hyperaware of, but tentative with each other. It seemed impossible that less than four days had passed since then. The sliver of space between the doors had yet to disappear before they wordlessly slammed into each other, mouths meeting impatiently - collarbones and hip bones bumping in their quest to close the distance between them.  Kyungsoo's hands cupped the sides of Jongin's jaw insistently as he gently pulled on the younger man's plump bottom lip with his teeth before sliding his tongue into the moist cavern of Jongin's mouth. The kiss was all the sweeter and more exquisitely satisfying because they'd had to wait so long for it.
 
Kyungsoo's hands intertwined together behind Jongin's neck while Jongin linked his fingers behind Kyungsoo's waist. Then Kyungsoo lazily Jongin's Adam's apple which made the younger man shudder and groan and clasp Kyungsoo's with both hands, squeezing it firmly. And then it was Kyungsoo's turn to moan as Jongin planted his lips on the crook of his shoulder and the sensitive skin there, exploring it. Because of his shyness, Jongin may not have been the most experienced or polished kisser but his natural instincts and quiet passion moved Kyungsoo more than anyone far more sophisticated had ever done.
 
As their mouths gravitated towards each other, each man surrendered completely into the other's embrace. Kyungsoo groaned when he heard the warning ding and thanked the powers that be that no else had pressed the elevator button the past three floors. As they pulled away from each other reluctantly, they held on to each other's hands, arms held out. Only when the steel doors began moving did Kyungsoo release the younger man's hands with a wistful smile. Then, in a sudden shift of mood, he grinned triumphantly at Jongin,
 
"Jasmine tea kisses. Mmmm ..."
 
"Thwack!" Jongin smacked him not exactly gently on the arm in protest at the cheesiness. 
 
"I'm putting jasmine tea at no. 3 on my flavors list ... " Kyungsoo waggled his eyebrows suggestively, "For now."
 
Jongin just laughed this time, taking Kyungsoo's hand in his as they walked to the blue Rio.
 
* * *
 
Jongin parted his hair carefully, pulling the comb through the damp strands slowly. He normally just used his fingers to haphazardly untangle his hair after a shower, but then he didn't normally go out on dates.  Kyungsoo had told him to be ready by 6 pm and to dress "really casual, ok?". He peered at his reflection speculatively: v-necked white tee with skinny black horizontal stripes and his most comfortable light blue denim Gap jeans. About as boring as you could get but it seemed to fit Kyungsoo's requirements. 
 
Jongin grabbed his phone and checked the time. It was 5.52pm. Almost time. Just before Kyungsoo got out of the car after lunch, Jongin had asked him why he was picking him up so early for dinner. Kyungsoo had just said, "Shhh ... It's a surprise," and steadfastly refused to say another word about it.
 
* * *
 
Jongin opened the door to reveal a jean clad Kyungsoo in a white, short-sleeved polo tee. He'd let his short black hair fall across his forehead the way Jongin preferred. He was about to hug the older man when he noticed he was carrying something - or rather two things.
 
"Hyung, those are helmets."
 
"Yes, Jongin. Thanks for stating the blatantly obvious." Kyungsoo said in amusement.
 
"You have a motorbike?" Jongin laughed incredulously, his not quite dimples and laughter lines appearing - low, throaty chuckles which Kyungsoo always tried to prevent from penetrating his consciousness but so far, his halfhearted attempts had always proved useless. He loved Jongin's laugh - loved the way he used his entire body to laugh. He loved the way the full sound of it rolled over him and filled him with such warmth. Kyungsoo loved Jongin's laugh so much.
 
He offered Jongin the metallic red helmet in his hand, "This is for you. I've never really brought anyone on my bike other than Yixing but I wanted you to have your own helmet and I noticed you had a lot of red in your apartment so I thought it might be your favorite color and so I chose a red one for you." Kyungsoo's words came out in a nervous, almost inaudible rush.
 
"It is my favorite color, hyung," Jongin smiled gratefully, "But you have a motorbike?"
 
"Why do you sound so surprised? Because I'm a boring accountant?" 
 
"No! It's because you keep telling me you're a cautious guy so I was expecting ... I don't know, a four-door Volvo sedan or maybe an SUV ... A minivan?" 
 
"Minivan?!" Kyungsoo squawked in outrage.
 
"Okay, maybe not a minivan," Jongin chuckled, "Either way, I was expecting something with four wheels and a cabin, not a motorbike."
 
"I couldn't afford a car three years ago so I bought a bike. And then in the end, I just didn't want to give it up - even when I could finally afford to get a car."
 
"But why?"
 
"Tell you later. C'mon let's go. We don't have much time." Kyungsoo said mysteriously.
 
"A Crong tattoo, a motorbike ... Is there anything else you haven't told me, hyung? Wait, are you running with a motorcycle gang?"
 
"Shut up, Kim Jongin!"
 
* * *
 
Jongin's arms were wound more tightly than they had to be around Kyungsoo's midriff, and his cheek was buried contentedly in his left shoulder. The tangy citrusy fragrance of grapefruits and oranges teased his nostrils - battling with the scent of the wind to fill his senses. They were driving along Ocean Drive and Kyungsoo still hadn't told him where they were going.
 
"Is this why you won't give it up? Because you love going against the wind? Because you love the feel of the wind in your face?" Jongin shouted into Kyungsoo's ear to be heard over the thunderous whooshing of the wind.
 
Rather than expending the energy to shout and have his words disperse in the choppy winds, Kyungsoo nodded vigorously. Jongin smiled into his back and hugged him even harder. This was his first time riding shotgun since his college days with Luhan and well, Luhan had never made his heart skip a beat or given him butterflies in his stomach or any of those clichés - not even remotely. His feelings for Kyungsoo were anything but platonic though, so today's experience was a completely new one. As the wind whipped at Jongin's eyes and made them water, he lost himself  in the breathtaking view of the vast turquoise ocean and the serene pastel sky. Lastly, he breathed in Kyungsoo's citrusy male scent - thinking to himself: life didn't really get much better than this.
 
* * *
 
They arrived at Templeton Pier at 6.35 pm. Kyungsoo yelled, Quick or we'll be too late!  And they laughed as they sprinted down the jetty, their rubber soles hitting the wooden planks at a blistering pace as they ran down the steps. Everything was bathed in a warm golden aura as the sun hovered just above the horizon, but the two men were too busy rushing to notice much.
 
When they reached the end of the pier, Kyungsoo made Jongin sit down on the edge. Seagulls soared and swooped nearby and they could smell the briny odor of the ocean as they settled themselves comfortably close to the water's edge, although the watery surface was a good four feet below where their toes hung suspended.
 
"Okay, you have to take off your shoes and socks now."
 
"But there's no sandy beach to walk on," Jongin pointed out - indicating the rocky beach below.
 
"You are very nosy," Kyungsoo laughed even as he started pulling Jongin's Vans off - he'd shucked his own shoes off earlier while Jongin had still been hesitating.
 
"Hyung, you're so impatient. I could have taken those off myself. Now what?" Jongin asked curiously, his palms rubbing his denim clad lap.
 
"Now fold up your pant legs till ... just below the calf should be fine. Quick! We're almost out of time."
 
"Out of time for what?"
 
"Ok now let your legs hang over the edge. Can you feel the wood against your skin? Can you feel the breeze on your skin?"
 
"Yes." Jongin wondered if he sounded as contented as he felt. He didn't tell Kyungsoo that he loved the way wood felt under his skin - whether it was a railing, or his work table or as he was now discovering, the way the wooden support beams on the side of the jetty felt against his calves and heels. He placed his palms flat on the ground and absorbed the dry, sun-heated texture of the wood. Then he finally took in the view before him. 
 
Cottony cumulus clouds were scattered across the sky which was still mostly pale blue and shot through with streaks of gold. The ocean waves were splashed with an irregular band of gold as the sun cast its reflection on the water. The sun looked ripe and heavy and ready to drop. As he drank in the breathtaking sun-kissed splendor laid out before him, a pair of strong, pale hands settled lightly over his eyes.
 
"Hyung?" There was a smile in Jongin's question, "What are you doing?"
 
"Shhh, be patient." Kyungsoo made himself comfortable behind Jongin, his bent knees flanking Jongin's torso, while his arms braced Jongin's shoulders. It was intimate but there was no awkwardness about it - they'd gone past that. Jongin allowed the trust to seep into his bones and into his soul as he let himself sink comfortably into Kyungsoo's embrace.
 
"Jongin-ah," Kyungsoo leant forward so his chin rested on Jongin's shoulder, "What do you hear?"
 
Jongin emptied his mind of everything and just listened.
 
"I hear the seagulls. And the breeze,"
 
"Anything else?" Kyungsoo nuzzled Jongin's neck and Jongin absorbed the pleasurable sensations triggered off by the coarse stubble on Kyungsoo's jaw. He forced himself to concentrate and he began to hear the low susurrus of the waves breaking against the shore. 
 
"The sea ... I can hear the waves, hyung." 
 
"Okay." Kyungsoo said simply as he let his hands fall away from Jongin's face, only to reach for the younger man's hands. As their interlaced hands landed gently in Jongin's lap, Jongin eyelids slowly opened. 
 
The brilliant gold of the sun was touching the horizon now and the sky was awash with lilacs, peaches, coral reds and dusky pink hues as the earth began to darken. Jongin was now conscious of the sounds as he wasn't before. He saw the sun sinking into the horizon and the sky streaking with lavender and purple; he heard the waves kissing the shore again and again; he heard the distant cawing and squawking of seagulls, but most of all, he felt Kyungsoo's hands in his and his cheek against his jaw. 
 
And as the sky gradually turned midnight blue, he whispered, "Thank you, hyung."
 
"Shhhh." Kyungsoo said and snuggled closer.
 
Jongin sighed contentedly. Life really didn't get much better than this. 
 
 
A/N: hi everyone! So this is unapologetically romantic and fluffy and I don't even care. I was so depressed by the complete lack of Kaisoo at the Dream Concert that it made me go a bit nuts with the romance-meter on this update. I'm sorry for the cheese - no actually, I'm not sorry. At all. I needed this and I hope you guys don't mind /goes to a corner to sob.
 
As always, thank you to all my readers who subscribe to and comment on In Bloom. It gives me such joy to read your comments. Also, if you like my Jongin and Kyungsoo a lot, I do hope you'll up vote the fic by clicking on the arrow next to the title. Love you guys! And this chapter is dedicated to all the kaisoo shippers who feel blue because DreamCon was a kaisoo free zone /sobs again.
 
PPS: The Kyungsoo buttgrab in the elevator is dedicated to anbaachan who would do anything to be Jongin. Was I right? Did that buttgrab have your name written all over it? Tell me I'm wrong?
 
PPPS: I think we're way overdue for some Kyungsoo spam, don't you? So squishy! And yes, this is pretty much the hairdo Kyungsoo has in the fic  ...
 
 
And here's the that Jongin grabbed in the elevator. I think you'll all agree that Jongin is one lucky dude lol:
 
 
And last of all, here's hyper Kyungsoo because I couldn't find motorcycle kaisoo. I'm sorryyyyyy