Debts to Repay

The Hunted
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  ♘part three; 
Ɗebts ƭơ ℛepay

 

Sungmin awoke to the bright light of dawn entering the doorway of the room and trailing over his bedsheets. He rubbed his tired eyes and turned over, letting his mind slowly come to its senses before planning out the rest of his day. He would need to decide whom would accompany him on his journey, if any, and what supplies he would need to bring.

 

Slowly he sat up in the bed and stretched his arms over his head, eyes squeezed tight as he let the muscles flex and shake out the warmth of sleep that coated him. He took a deep breath and swung his tired legs off of the mattress, standing and staring around the guest room again. 

 

Truly, he thought, Kyuhyun was a kind person for allowing him stay the night. And even kinder to bring him into his home after finding him in the dark dwellings of the Van'hael'ia forest. He was a stranger, but he was a good soul, and even though he had some snark in his personality, Sungmin couldn't deny that he now owed the other man a debt.

 

Sungmin sighed thinking this over once more, unable to concur that perhaps allowing the younger to accompany him might repay this debt in full, since he seemed so sincere in wanting to tag along. But then, bringing him along would also mean the younger was offering more help, did it not? Would it then be yet another debt he would owe him in the future?

 

Mulling over this train of thought, he remade the bed, fixing the sheets and straightening up before pulling on his boots and heading out of the room and into the hallway. Kyuhyun's door across the hall from his was open ajar, and the room lay empty.  He upturned his lips into a pout, wondering if he should look around the house for his host or wait until he was called upon.

 

"Are you looking for someone?" He heard a familiar, cheerful melody from the end of the hall, and Sungmin turned to look at the silhouette making its way toward him.

 

Kyuhyun had changed his outfit from last night into a simpler one of soft cottons and silks. The long sleeves of his shirt billowed out from his wrists, and he left the top laces against the collar untied, giving a view of his collarbones and the top of his . The light fabric only helped enhance the broadness in his shoulders and the trail of the fabric led the eyes downcast where it would accentuate his long, toned legs. 

 

His soft, auburn locks were dripping wet onto the wooden panels below his bare feet, and Sungmin could only blink at his relaxed appearance; swallowing a lump that was forming in his throat. Was this really the younger man he had met only the night before?  The wonders of a bath and change of wardrobe; they could completely change a man's appearance. 

 

"Cat caught your tongue again?" Kyuhyun teased as the playful smirk reappearing on his pink lips when he received no response. Sungmin blushed a deep scarlet when he realized he was staring, and looked back into the empty bedroom to his side. 

 

"I did not recognize you at first glance," He mumbled, frowning. It was true, it had taken him by surprise. 

 

"My apologies. I woke early and took a bath," Kyuhyun explained, smile plastered to his lips as he ran a hand through his wet locks. "There is still some hot water, if you wish to bathe as well."

 

Sungmin turned to look in the younger's direction again, frown still evident on his face as he contemplated the offer. It sounded like Kyuhyun was teasing him, and the smile he received almost assured that. A bath did sound very tempting, though; he was sticky and dirty from the sweat and the forest floors he had travelled through the two days prior. A bath would rejuvenate his lackluster limbs as well. But, there was something holding him back from this offer. 

 

"I have no clean clothes," He explained, voice holding a bit of sadness when he realized his dilemma. "Would it not be pointless to bathe and clad myself in dirt again thereafter?"

 

"I would not allow my guest to fair unwell in such conditions. Come," Kyuhyun replied, leading Sungmin into his bedroom and to a giant armoire filled with dozens of articles of clothing. There were many colors and fabrics to choose from; some more rich than others, and some tailored to fit the taller's lean frame. Sungmin ignored the fine cloths of silk and velvet, not daring to owe the man yet another debt.

 

"I think you should try this," Kyuhyun said, pulling out a thicker cotton shirt. It was long sleeved, slightly looser around the elbow-crook and the shoulders.  "It fits very well for combat with sword-play. It will not tighten and hinder." He explained, then dug further through the many robes.

 

"Thank you," Sungmin replied quietly, being handed ocean-blue colored velvet robes and a very soft, thin—but large, leather sash that would wind around his stomach to hold the robes in place. The younger man tossed some under-garments on top, and heavy linen for his tights. The leggings were also a soft, beaten leather. They had a suede-like feeling to them, and they were a deep, dark brown. 

 

Sungmin smiled at it all. "You are sure that this is—" He began, but Kyuhyun looped his arm through the crook of his, and led him out of the bedroom and into the hallway, interrupting his question. Kyuhyun continued to lead him down the stairs and into one of the back rooms where the bath was. He never gave the blonde a chance to ask him if it was fine, because surely it was, or he would not have offered. 

 

"Take your time. If you need to add heat, there should be more wood to light the fire in that corner over there." He explained, gesturing his hand in the direction of the back-wall. Sungmin nodded in appreciation. "I'll be in the dining hall. Come and find me when you're done." He ended, leaving the blonde to bathe in peace.
 


The dining room was large—but that was because it was a mix of a dinning room and a kitchen, with nothing bordering the two apart. The hearth and the pantry were all lining the farthest wall, with a small water basin that could pump water to the side. The hearth was gigantic, and stone, with multiple levels of stoned shelving for different temperatures. There was a rounded rod that one could spin meat on to get a nice grilling over the flame, and there was an iron cauldron in the center to boil anything you wanted.

 

This section of the house was pleasant and roomy. The main dining table was of wooden design, large enough to fit at least ten guests. The chairs lined equally apart to give plenty of room around the table, and there was also a long cloth for decorative and cleanly purposes that lay atop of it. In the center was a display of fruits and flowers, giving a slight homey feeling.

 

Two places were set at the table, with a large glass bottle that separated them. One place setting had an empty plate, with a fork, spoon and knife and a goblet glass; also empty. The other was filled with a cooked pheasant and sweet potato, gravy and carrots. The glass was half-filled with a heavy, red wine. Kyuhyun sat in front of the meal, slowly picking away at the delicious bird, wondering about what he should take along for their journey.

 

Sungmin entered on light, booted feet. He was pushing his clean, wet locks out of his eyes as he entered into the kitchen, smelling something incredibly delicious. His mouth was watering, and his stomach clenched in hunger as he gazed at the plate the brunette was devouring. 

 

"That was fast," Kyuhyun grinned at him. "Come, have some sup. Lady Sora was kind enough to share her sweet potatoes with us today." He waved his hand for Sungmin to enter in, and gestured to the seat next to him. Kyuhyun, of course, sat at the head of the table, in the slightly larger chair. He did not explain who this neighbor was, though Sungmin could figure she was a kind enough person to share her food.

 

The blonde came around the table and picked up the plate, biting his bottom lip as he looked unsure at the hearth where the pheasant was sitting high on-top to keep warm after its cook. 

 

"Take as much as you need. I left plenty there for you." The younger man explained; mouth all smiles. Sungmin nodded, taking his plate further into the kitchen and reached for the bird warily. How kind were the people in this little village to share with one another like this?  Things should always be this simple and friendly between people and their neighbors. Sungmin wished the larger city had the same type of charm; things were certainly different here. 

 

"We should speak to the vendors before starting off," Kyuhyun explained, shoveling another bite of food into his mouth. "Gather as much supplies as we can," He didn't seem phased by the fact that Sungmin hadn't yet agreed to him going with him on his journey, and he didn't seem hindered by the baffled look the blonde gave him, either.

 

"I am fairly certain I can get us a good deal at the weaponry shoppe. I know the smithy there well," He continued, taking a sip of his red wine. "He fashioned me my first fighting sword," The memory brought a gentle smile upon his lips. "And he helped me forge my own favorite weapon," He smirked. "Daggers, of course." 

 

Sungmin smiled back, a bit perplexed by the constant sharing, but smiled nonetheless. He filled his plate, wondering if the younger was merely trying to guilt him this way; thinking if he spoke about this so naturally that the blonde wouldn't argue otherwise. But he didn't know Sungmin very well, and he didn't know the reason for this journey, either.  


Sighing at the thought of sharing these details, Sungmin retreated to the table with his plate and sat. He poured a bit of wine into his goblet from the fat, glass bottle in the center of the table and took a sip of the strong liquid before nodding at his gracious host.

 

"You really want to accompany me." He spoke it plainly, edging only slightly on it being a question. His eyes inspected the younger's every emotion that played on his face as he spoke.  Kyuhyun could only nod, staring back at the blonde's probing gaze.  When the older said nothing to him at his nod, he sighed and speared another piece of the bird with his fork. 

 

"I may be young, but I am not ill of experience." He replied with annoyance when Sungmin said nothing further.  "I have my reasons for wanting to join you, so I hope you aren't rejecting my request now."  His frown deepened, looking back at the soft honeyed eyes that stared him down.

 

"Kyuhyun," Sungmin spoke quietly, dropping his gaze down to his plate of untouched food.  "Or, I guess rather, 'Lord Cho.'  It is not that I think you are too young, and it has nothing to do with your experiences in the wild,"  He tried to explain as Kyuhyun sighed at the name title. "You have my many thanks for aiding me here at your camp and of course also having me here as your guest, but... The very reason I am making this journey could brand you with the death penalty by anyone in the city as it has myself. I do not wish to ask this of you, or anyone else for that matter. It is more than any debt I can repay." 

 

Kyuhyun contemplated his words, eyebrow quipping up.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter