The Hunted

The Hunted
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  ♖part one; 
Շhe Hunţed


 

The forest was dark and murky; grey clouds enveloping the moonlight that gave chance to see the path ahead. Trees encased what was left of the grassy trail, blocking out the sky and looming dangerously low. The branches hit the young man in his face and shoulders as he ran; attempting to avoid large rocks and tree roots as he sped down the path. He was running for his life.

 

Dark hooded figures galloped on black horses and chased on foot as well, swords in hand and voices raised. The muddy patches of earth did not help aid the young man escape the large beasts. Even though the road was poor in shape, it did not seem to hinder his pursuers.

 

The young man dove off-road in an attempt to throw them off of his scent, heading deeper into the dark woods. He couldn't see anything anymore, only shadows. His fear made him ignore the lack of sight as he padded onward and onward as far as his legs would carry him.  It had felt like hours he had been running like this, chased into the forest outside the city gates. 

 

The wind whistled hard, blowing his blonde hair out of his eyes and knotting it in wet, sweaty patches. He ignored his appearance, grasping the dark blue cloak around him tighter as he went. Adrenaline forced him to ignore the biting cold at his chest; numbing his fingers and toes. The sweat poured off of his forehead, aiding the chill down his spine.

 

"He went that way!" Someone yelled, unable to continue charging with one of the horses at the road he had left.

 

The blonde didn't even turn around. Hearing those voices getting closer to him each step forced him to run even harder. Damn the breath in his lungs! Damn the ache in his chest and side! He could cry about the burning pain in his feet later, when he was sure he would be alive and well to dote on his wounds. Right now it was flee or be exposed.

 

One minute he was dodging a thicket of brush and prickly vines that seemingly came out of nowhere, and the next thing he knew he was toppling downward on a grassy hilltop. Onward he rolled, out of the edge of the forest and down the grassy mountain-scape. He only skidded half way down the hill where he could finally catch his balance, grasping the gravel and breathed heavily, staring around at his surroundings. Out here in the open fields he would be caught for sure by the black riders.

 

I have to get out of here, he thought, trying to get to his feet and up the hill. Now he had scratches and bloody palms to damn in the back of his mind on top of all of his other worries.

 

The young blonde gasped for a moment's breath, slowly making his way forward to progress near the forest line. He tried to look for an easy opening through the heavy brush in front of the trees as he continued his quickening pace, praying nobody would see his outline in the moonlight that shone from out of the clouds.

 

The hill gently sloped down to a flat plain and the edge of trees were suddenly much taller and more foreboding. Ignoring the itch at the back of his head warning him of Danger! Don't go in this way!, the blonde entered the darker part of the woods at the quickest pace he could manage. If anything, he thought, he might be able to climb one of these ridiculously large trees and hide until morning.

 

For about another hour he continued like this, treding deeper into the wooded glen, passing by enormous tree trunks and large winding roots. The bed of the forest was littered with soft needles that had caked down over time. It felt like he was running on mossy pillows as he tried to steady his gasping breath.

 

When he couldn't possibly go another step without falling over—energy completely drained from the hours of running and walking, the young blonde crawled inside a huge opening that was formed by a pair of old oaks that fused together and left a rooted dome underneath, littered with those beds of needles. He collapsed on top of them, leaning against the back-s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter