Met Him

City of Blood

 

 

 

The alley was dark in the night. There was figure of a man running desperately from something. His legs were unsteady because he had run too much than he could take that he knocked the garbage bins at the sidewalk and fell. He ignored the pain from the impact, instead he looked around hastily as soon as he get up.  He saw no one behind him and he crawled away scruffily, hiding himself behind one of the bins. He pulled some of the trash over to cover his blood drenched body. The blood didn’t belong to him; it was his friends’ – his dead friends’.

He stayed as still and as quietly as he could but his heart was beating like crazy and his whole body was trembling. The night was cold but he was dressed in sufficient layers of clothes to prevent the cold. He as terrified, terrified of the man chasing him. He closed his eyes and listen to his surroundings. There were far traffic noise, dripping of drains, wild cats’ meow and faint dog barking. Just when he started to believe he had lost him, he heard footsteps.

Someone was here, but the footsteps were peaceful, slow and lazy. The man doubted that it was the one that was chasing after him, but he stayed still. The footsteps became lauder; closing distance with his hiding place and finally stopped. He saw two skinny legs stood right in front of him. He knew he was found, but he couldn’t move.

 

STAB

 

A piece of metal pierced into the man’s chest. He looked up and saw a short and skinny Asian looking guy staring at him, bored but darkly. 

“You –“ the man tried to speak his voice stunk when the smaller guy stomp on the knife on his chest, sending it deeper, until it touched his heart, and sunk into it.

It was an Anti-Vampire weapon. He knew, because he felt his heart destroyed, turned into dust as soon as the metal touch it and before the man could close his eyes, his whole body starting to turn into dust as well. In less than one minute, the man had completely gone, leaving only a lump of clothes with blood stain and a pile of sand. Vampires always died easily, the alive man once said. He picked up his knife on top of the messy pile and walked away.

 

 

***

 

 

“I want new lists” Baekhyun threw a few pieces of paper onto the table. The middle aged man across the table raised his grey brows at the younger man.   

“Wow, that’s fast.” He stated, not surprised. He examined the crumpled papers with lots of crosses on them. “You killed vampires not in the list again?” He asked without taking his eyes off the papers but Baekhyun saw he smiled.

The younger man didn’t answer him. He didn’t have to, it was always the same and no one really care anyway.

“I’m impressed how efficient you’re in killing those bastards. I guess you really enjoy your work here.” He chuckled and typed something on the keyboard.

Baekhyun didn’t smile at that or even took it as compliment at all. For him, there was nothing to be proud of being a cold blooded killer and certainly; he didn’t enjoy his job one bit. It’s just job.

 

“Harry, I need a new weapon!” someone barged into the room without a knock, like always.

Harry and Baekhyun turned their attention to the young man that just arrived.

“Oh, Hi Bacon.” He said flatly when he realized the Asian man in the room. Baekhyun only spared him a glance. He hated that man. He was everything that Baekhyun categorized as American Hunter. 

“Where did you lose your weapon this time?” Harry inquires with a frown.

“I… er… I misplaced it at a friend house…?”

“Go search for it?”

“It was a party!”

“Zac, what do you think those things are? They are not toys, they are WEAPONs. They can KILL.”

Zac was making a face and not attempting to hide it at all.

“Why can’t you be like Bacon?... I mean Baekhyun.” Harry corrected himself.  

“Sorry, but I wasn’t trained under the cold waterfall or with some horrid ninjas” He scoffed.

“and I wasn’t neither.” Baekhyun replied flatly but with a dark tone. He knew it was waste of time to argue with Zac, but he couldn’t stay still when people make fun of his training center. They had no right, especially when they are no better than him.

“Really? Then I wonder how you become such a cold ”

 

The next second, there was a loud thud in the office and Zac was stumbling against the table, sending it moved from the previous position. He groaned and pressed on his stomach to ease the pain but glared at the skinny man who had the same killing glare. The old man was already on his feet because of the previous blow quickly sense the coming fight among the two young hunters. He said something to them about not damaging his office, but none of them listened to him.

“.”

That was all that it took from Zac’s lips for having another fist flying towards his face, only it didn’t reach him. The angry fist was held back mid way by a strong grip.

         

“Stop it, you two” ordered the new guest in the room.

 

Baekhyun turned around to find that the hand on his was belonged to Nate; a senior Hunter.

Nate Archibald didn’t fulfill every criteria that Baekhyun thought a good hunter should have, but he was better than 80% of the hunters in the States. Moreover, he was one of the few among the natives that treated the Asian boy without any racial comment. Baekhyun thought he deserved some respects for that, so he decided to listen to him and stopped the fight. Nate let go of the smaller hand when he saw he had calmed down.     

“Wow, boyfriend come to the rescue.” Zac sneered, clearly not taking his senior’s advice. Baekhyun stared at him, not even glare but enough to make the other face paled.

“Enough!” Harry finally snapped. “Here, take your lists and go out.” He handed Baekhyun some newly printed papers “and you, don’t you dare say anymore words or I’ll shove this stapler up your .” He said to Zac. Baekhyun took the papers and made his way out of the room, ignoring Harry’s scolding about how the two of them were worse than his cat and dog pets at home.

“Hey, Baekhyun.”

Baekhun looked back and he saw Nate gave him that gentle smile he always had on his face.

“See you around.”

Baekhyun nodded in reply and walked out.

 

He walked down the wide and posh hall silently. Some of the stand-byer looked at his way and whispered some unimportant comments. It was used to be because of his race, but now it was because of his reputation; not that the looks and comments he got changed any kinder anyway. The building that Baekhyun was currently working in (or supposed to because he did field work anyway) was a lot bigger and luxurious than his previous workplace in his home country; South Korea but he didn’t adore it at all.

Baekhyun applied to be transferred to the United States’ Headquarters at the age of seventeen, a few months after he became a legal vampire hunter. Then again, being a Korean hunter in this busy country was not a very pleasant thing. Baekhyun had gone through language barrier phase but it wasn’t any better except that he could buy breakfast without getting a screwdriver. Even after a few years there, he still didn’t feel happy with the life style (or working style) in that western country.

United States’ Hunter Headquarters was the biggest headquarters in all over the world with the best technology, facilities and information ever. However, it’s a chaos country. Despite gathering the biggest numbers of hunters compared to other country, United States was also populated with the biggest number of vampires. Most of the hunters here were lazy, unskillful and stupid (Baekhyun personal remark) and most of the vampires were stray ones; without clans.  The working style didn’t apply most of the Hunter’s principles that Baekhyun learnt in South Korea Training Center. No one really care how it was done as long they could cross some of the vampire’s names in their list. Even though he didn’t like how it worked here, he couldn’t deny that it made his job easier and making it the best place to get his goal done.

 

 

***

 

 

It was always a smarter choice to attack vampires during daytime (because he were sleepy) and in a group but it was easier to find them when they were not hiding and being a lone wolf; Baekhyun didn’t have any friends to help him fighting vampires. He didn’t bother making friends because it wasn’t the reason he went there in the first place and the others weren’t that enthusiastic to be his friends neither. Moreover, he doubted other’s skill to fight alongside him, not to mention how little trust he had in them.

 

Thus, tonight he was fighting with a vampire in one of the private room of a random club. The vampire stumbled back and groaned in pain because Baekhyun just stabbed him in the leg. He picked up a knife from the table which Baekhyun didn’t realize it was there and pointed it at him.

“Don’t come near me!” he screamed but his expression clearly told that he was scared.

The hunter didn’t hesitate to charge even with the threat because in a second, he was able to catch the vampire’s hand with the knife, broke a bone and slammed him on floor.

“Please, don’t kill me” the defenseless vampire begged with trembling voice. “I didn’t mean to kill her. It was an accident.” He cried. The vampire was on the list because he killed his supplier. Whether it was intentionally or not was not Baekhyun’s concern. His job was to kill, not to judge or investigate the matter.

 

“Please… I have child at home.”

For a second, Baekhyun hesitated and in that second, he was sent onto the floor when the vampire kicked his stomach. He took that chance to run out of the room and the hunter quickly got on his feet for the chase. With the injured leg, the vampire would not able to run far but Baekhyun hated meticulous things that came after if unrelated citizen saw that scene.    

When he got out to the dim corridor with a few lining doors, he saw the vampire was dragging his feet; trying to escape and luckily, no one else was there. Baekhyun wasted no time to catch him. The vampire saw him, he knocked on one of the door desperately and screamed a few “No”. Baekhyun got him and tighten his grip on his blade. At that moment, the door opened and Baekhyun’s blade sunk onto the vampire’s back, stabbing into his heart. He heard the vampire whispered a girl’s name before his body completely turned into dust.

 

The hunter hadn’t gone down from the adrenaline rush when he noticed other person was witnessing the scene as well. A person was standing in the opened doorway, a few feet away from the hunter and looked like the dead vampire was clinging onto him when he was stabbed. The tall man had brown messy curly hair and his shirt ed all way down, showing his perfect abs and he had shocked look on his face but what Baekhyun could care at the moment was the fact that the man was a vampire.

 

The hunter regained his breathe immediately and aimed his weapon towards the vampire. The vampire quickly stepped back into the room to evade the attack. Baekhyun charged again, entering the room all together and when he swung his blade again, the metal clashed with a hard object; a . Baekhyun’s eyes caught a woman on the bed and he could guess she was under a spell from her lack of response on the commotion in that room. One second of getting distracted earning him a blow on his just-got-kicked stomach. The hunter stumbled back, his back hitting a night stand but he managed to keep standing.

(*conversation in italic is in Korean)

 

Son of a ” Baekhyun growled in his native language out of habit. The tall vampire eyes widen.

You’re Korean?” he asked in a language that was very familiar to Baekhyun. Baekhyun was surprised to hear Hangul from the vampire’s mouth but the situation didn’t let him respond friendly to it. 

So what if I am?

I’m Korean too!” the vampire beamed with a wide creepy smile. Baekhyun didn’t expect that reaction at all but the wide toothy smile, the slightly twitched eyes and the protruding ears didn’t make him look any less dangerous.

Baekhyun didn’t warn (why should he?) when he attacked again.

 

Why are you attacking me?” The vampire asked between the stabs Baekhun tried to give him. He blocked and evaded the attacks but he didn’t fight back at all, nor looking scared; only curios. 

Because you’re vampire.”

The vampire pouted. At that moment Baekhyun tripped him and he fell, sprawled on the floor. The hunter straddled him and placed his blade on the vampire under him. The hunter leaned in, bringing his face close to the vampire and touched the vampire’s bare neck with the tip of his weapon.

Aren’t you afraid I will kill you?” He whispered.

It was supposed to be threatening but the hunter startled when the vampire just grinned at him. Taken aback (and slightly creeped out), he drew himself back, away from the vampire. 

 

Can you?” he asked, smile still plastered on his face. Baekhyun stared at him dumbly.

Can you kill me?” he rephrased without taking his eyes off the smaller male’s eyes.

 

At that moment, Baekhyun felt something sparked inside him and it made his blood rushing, heart beat faster, and breathe caught. The question somehow frightened him because he couldn’t grasp the meaning behind it and the stare felt so deep that I drove straight into him, into something that he was trying to hide even though he didn’t know what it was. For the first time, he felt vulnerable and uncertain.

 

and I believe I’m not in the list.” The vampire added and at the same time pulled Baekhyun from his string of thoughts.

He was correct. Baekhyun memorized all faces in his lists and this one was not one of them. He took a few minutes deciding before he drew his blade away from the vampire and got off him. He secured the weapon inside his jacket, throwing a glance at the paralyzed woman on the bed and then left the room without anymore words. Before he exited the room, he could hear the vampire shouted from the back. 

 

Let’s see each other again!”

 

 

------------------------------------------

So, first chapter's here! ^^

I think I might need to rated this story because of future violence (if not this chapter)

 

If anyone offended by the use of American Hunter, I'm so sorry! I don't meant to be racist nor I hate American, it's just a part of story to bring out Baekhyun's personality. Sorry again.

and yeah, I love Gossip Girl XD (can you guess who Zac is? not from GG)

 

Please comment & subscribe !  

p/s: oh, and I just made a tumblr if anyone want to follow me. But yeah, I'm a boring person =P