I'll Never Really Leave

I'll be your Angel

After that day, I had to sit back and watch my love fall in love with someone else. I lived in fear and sorrow. It hurt to see the one you love go after someone else. But at the same time, my soul was filled with happiness. Kevin was shy so he never tried to approach a girl. He didn't like anyone. He was sweet and all the girls loved him but he never gave them a second glance. Now he's finally giving someone a chance! And someone I knew well and wouldn't mind giving him to... not that I would... Ugh, nevermind. But that's not what really killed me. It was what Kim said the next day.

"Hey, Eli."

"What, Kimchi?"

"Does... does Kevin have anyone special?"

My mind stops for a second to let it sink it. She just... "Um... no." My smile is still plastered on. Could she...? "Why?"

Please no. PLease no. Please no.

She looked down a little trying to hide faintly pink cheeks. "Well... I like him."

That's when my world began to be turned upside down. I remember laughing at her and jokeingly making fun of her since she's never really liked boys. But the feelings inside my chest were do distorted. That same happy, yet sad, net of confusion, wrapping itslf around my heart and squeezing it.

From then on, I was the one that helped them. I was the one who brough them together. I nudged one to do something for the other and whispered to the other to something else. I helped them come to realize they both were perfect for one another. Their smiles and laughs made me happy and joyful that I was able to do something for them. Those same smiles and laughs that brought me happiness also brought me great grief. The one I loved had gone into the arms of another. Seeing them together made my heart feel as if an invisible hand reach into my chest and tried to rip my inside out.

They, in turn, thanked me and loved me for what I've done. They would take me on dates and invite to go everywhere with them. They didn't want me to feel left out; however, I usually turned down the offer. They deserved to be alone together without a third wheel. Plus, my chest is having too trouble.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been 5 years and their relationship was still going on. There were some times when they fought and broke up but they were so down, I had to get them back together. Even after these years, their love was strong. As was mine. Kim never got in the way of me loving Kevin. I knew that he was still there for me and I was still his best friend... and best man.

During that last year at the university, that's when Kevin offically became taken. I've alway known Kevin was a romantic, but I never knew he would do this.

It was during lunch and I was sitting with Kim, eating our lunch waiting for Kevin. Instead, he never came but a mutual friend of Kim and Kevin did and gave Kim a letter. She was unsure of what to do but it suddenly became clear. I remember how she opened the card and there was a picture of that cafe where they first met. I remember how the letter instructed her to go there and a clue was given at each place she went. How her face lit up at each picture and her anticipation grew. How it finally lead us to where they became a couple. How do I know? Kevin had asked I come with Kim. When we arrived at the destination, there was a cloud of balloons and flowers everywhere. And the one holding the balloons were none other than Kevin. He made a sweet speech about Kim and finally did it. He got down on one knee. Her face was streaked with tears and my eyes were b with water. It was the happiness moment of our lives. However, also the darkest day of my life.

Kevin had wanted me to go because I've alway been the one to give him strenght and support. We've been together since who knows when and he wanted me to be there for him. I gladly stood by his side, watching over him. Even at his wedding, I was his best man. I watched every second of the ceremony for you and Kim. Surely, the perfect couple. I laughed and congratulated my best friends and smiled in front of everyone.

Finally alone at home, I let it all out. The hot tears threathening to spill over during the wedding. I sat on my bed, letting them all out. Tears of happiness, saddness, confusion, frustration, relief, and so much more... My little Kevin was in the hands of someone I trusted but at the same time, he wasn't in my arms. If he is happy then so am I. But I couldn't let myslef be. Now, there is no chance I could ever have him. Never have him to call mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Throughout the years, Kim and Kevin both tried to set me up with other people. There were a bunch of blind dates set up for me but I didn't really feel much toward any of them. I mean there were a few I did try dating but those mostly ended but we still become friends. My heart still ached when I saw Kim and Kevin together but it was better now. My chest felt light, knowing the my little Kevin had found someone good to take care of him because of that fateful day.

It was a normal day. Bright skies and no clouds. I was going to the eye doctors for check up. It seems my vision has been going bad. The doctors smiled and took some tests and did the usual check ups. Before I could leave, I had to wait for my results. When the doctor waled through the doors to my room with the dark expression, I knew bad news was coming. "I'm sorry, Mr. Kim. It seems that you have eye cancer." He began to ramble on about how it was inefecting me and how bad it was. From what I picked up, it was bad and I needed an eye donor soon. I thanked my doctor and left and thoughts clouding my mind. How? I'm perfectly healthy and... Damn cancer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The beeping noise of the machines are so annoying. It has been 6 months since that check up and I manage to conceal it from Kevin and Kim. But how are you suppose to talk your way out of it when you collapse in front of your friends at their house? Kim had been pretty upset but Kevin was furious. I'd never seen him so mad as he shouted at me in my hospital room. I was quiet, knowing that he was right to think I should've told him but I didn't want to worry him. His shouts had turned into sobs and I laughed softly and sat up from my bed to hug him. "Don'y worry about me. Life is cruel. But I'm willing to except my fate. C'mon. You're taking this harder than I am and I'm the one dying here."

The boy in my arms looked up at me with tearful eyes. Despite being grown up now, Kevin never lost those beautidul innocent brown eyes. Even with my blurring vision, they were clear and bright, just like when I first meet him. He sniffed and calmed down. He finally asked, "How long do you have?"

I sighed and kept quiet for a little. "Not long."

"Can't you do anything?!"

My head shook slowly. "I need a donor but no one is compatible and my cancer has spread already. Even if I do get a donor, it's too late."

Kevin's shoulders shook again as tears began to stream down his cheeks again. "But Eli! You can't leave me and Kim! We're best friends! You can't just go! You promised."

"Sh..." I took him in my arms again and said softly, "I will alway be there. I've got your back. I'm not leaving you or Kim behind."

"Promise?" Kevin's shakey voice said, sticking out his pinky.

I chuckled and interwined mine. "Promise."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Eli..." That voice...

"Eli!" I know it.

"Eli, Wake up!" I feel so tired.

"Please, don't go!" I'm so confused.

"You can't!" Who is it...?

"You promised!" Promise... Kevin?

"ELI!" Kevin!

My eyes flashed open and saw nothing but brightness. My eyes adjusted and I looked around. This was the hospital room. And there were doctors, Kim, and Kevin. Kevin. That's the voice. I'd know it. His angelic voice. But wait, why are they crowding the bed? How am I out of bed? I stepped closer to see Kevin crying and shouting. Kevin... Looking a bit closer, I realzed there was someone on the bed. Me.

There I was. Lying on the bed, dead. Lifeless but it looked as though I was only sleeping. But if I'm here... how...? I look down at my hands and realize they were tranparent. Inspecting my surroundings some more, I noticed that I was floating in th air. So, I'm a ghost now... I glanced back down at the people down me. Kevin was still sobbing and the doctors were either looking at him in pity, shuffling out the door in defeat, or trying to calm the poor boy. I heard a fimilar voice behind me and peeked behind me to see Kim, looking shocked. She staggered over to her husband's side and tried to soothe him. He eventually stopped his sobbing but he refused to leave my side, hand still clutching my limp fingers. I wanted so badly to comfort him. To wipe his tears and tell him that it was okay and I was still here. I wanted to ruffle his hair and make silly faces at him, knowing that it could always cheer him.

But, of course, it was impossible. Even if we were in the same room and I could see him, we were in different worlds now. Well, not quite. I could still see a light. A pleasant bright light shining above me. It was calling me and I wanted to go. But I also desperately wanted to stay back and stay with Kevin and Kim.

Could I move on yet? Leaving them behind made me uneasy. But I heard a tiny voice in my head that was telling me I won't ever leave them, really. I was always be there and watch over them and that was a comforting thought. But Kevin and Kim were still in despair and I decided to stay a while longer before leaving. I wanted to make sure that they'll be okay. I stay beside them for a few more hours, watching them leave, before finally moving to the light. A warmth took over me and I closed my eyes, welcoming it and joining heaven.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been ten years and I kept my promise. From above, I watched them. Kim and Kevin. I knew how hard my death was for them. Kim cried for over six months before finally letting up. She visited my grave often with Kevin. He, who was my best friend for God knows who long, was terrible after my death as well. Kevin was depressed for quite a while and I was concern for him, though I couldn't do anything as a ghost. But I knew that I had to do something. To tell him I was there.

There was one day when Kevin was sitting at the park by himself since Kim was doing some groccery shopping and wanted to give him some space. On a bench feeding pigeons, the boy was quiet and watched the birds at his feet. "You know, I had a friend who could imitate you guys really well."

The pigeons just continue to peck the bread crumbs, absent-mindedly. I watched where he sat and stared at small boy. Kevin sighed and looked up at the sky. "I really miss him."

Tears threathening to spill over, Kevin closed his eyes and just sat silently. Knowing that I had a promise to keep, I decided to show him I was still here. He may not be able to see, feel, or hear him, but I had to reach out to him. In response, the trees began to stir in the wind softly.

Kevin's eyes opened slightly before saying, "I hope you're okay..."

Another stir in the trees. Eli always loved the breeze. Especially on days like this. It was warm but there's refresh air blowing against your face. This air feels so familiar. It's like he's right next to me... Quickly, Kevin brought his arm over his eyes to keep the tears from spilling too freely. Every thought of his friend crushed him but Kevin couldn't seem to get him out. He missed him so badly. His smile and silliness. His jokes and laughter. Others may find this weird, considering he was only a friend and a guy. But they don't understand what Eli and Kevin have been through. They were not blood related but they were practically brothers. It was also more than just a brother relationship. Kevin loved Eli. Like how he loved Kim. Kim and Eli were the most important people in his life. God, it hurt...

Someone was ruffling his hair. Well, it felt like ruffling...something about it seemed familiar. Kevin turned around to see no one behind him. Looking around, he realize that he was still alone and it was probably the wind. Sighing, he slumped back on the bench. Kevin lifted his head back up at the sky to gaze again. "I miss you..." A soft whisper left his lips.

Another ruffle. Kevin quickly jumped up and scanned his surroundings. There was definitely no one around. But then who?

"Eli..." There was a tone of doubt in his voice but also confidence. The trees began to sway briefly before settling again. That was all he needed. A sign. "I knew you would keep your promise." Kevin smiled his first smile in a while. "I love you."

"I love you too." I smiled at him, knowing he can't hear me but also knowing that he knew that. Perhaps it wasn't quite the same way he loved me, he knew I loved him too.

Kevin had always been my angel when I was alive. I've been beside him during his hard times, but in my mind, he was alway my secret guardian, keeping me alive and motivating me. Now, however, I'm his angel, watching over him and protecting him when he needed it. Keeping him with company and consoling him.

I watched him as he smiled and walked back to his house and greeted Kim cheerfully. A bubble of joy filled my chest. Because I know that Kevin will be okay. Because I'll be there when he needs me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hai guys! I hoped you liked my story and all! Persoanlly I think this was a bit rushed but I don't have time to write anyways. So give feedback please^^ What do you think of my story? O.o I'm okay at coming up with plotlines to work with but I don't think I'm a very good writer. Hahahah xD But oh whales. I'll get better^^

Thank you for reading and I hope you read other things I write :)