epilogue

Wonderful & Beautiful

 

Three months ago, Yixing had been almost excited at the idea of going back to Changsha to stay with his grandparents.
 
He was on the mend; slowly but surely getting better, and he knew, and still knows, that going back to his hometown for the first time in four years is exactly what he needs for the last leg of his recovery. To spend time somewhere familiar, to relax and live quietly with two of the few people left on this world he knows really, truly care about him. To go back to Korea once his mind is finally clear of the tortures he’d endured during his first year and a half of high school. A few months of nothing but peace.
 
He’d never anticipated Kris, though. When Junmyeon had first hinted that there was a person in that school that seemed to genuinely love and care for him, Yixing had issues trying not to laugh out loud. If someone cared, why didn’t they say anything? Why hadn’t they at least been a friend? But then he saw the letters, those intricately traced Korean characters pointing out the beauty in everything Yixing had grown to hate about himself, and he came to a sudden realization that perhaps not everything about that school had been so bad.
 
Kris. That tall, handsome senior he’d only seen a few times around the school grounds and only ever spoken to once, at a point where he wasn’t exactly at his best. Kris was in love with him, for some miraculous reason, and though Yixing didn’t know him, he had thought it would have been incredibly selfish if he didn’t give Kris a chance to get to know him properly after all that time watching over him from afar.
 
He turned out to be a million times better than Yixing could have imagined. He’s tall and intimidating and very quiet, but after a single conversation, it felt to Yixing like they’d known each other forever. He’s never felt this comfortable with anyone, not even back when he still lived in China.
 
Three months ago, Yixing had been excited to visit Changsha - but now, thanks to Kris, he’s not all that sure he even wants to go anymore.
 
“What are you thinking about?” Yixing blinks out of his daze as he feels a warm hand curl into his shoulder, gently massaging him through the thin material of his spring jacket, Kris’ deep voice close enough to his ear to make him visibly shudder.  He reaches up to cover that hand with his, before he lowers it down and holds it between them, letting Kris lead him through the crowds of people around the airports entrance and through the sliding double doors.
 
“Mm, nothing.” He tilts his head up to get a look at Kris’ face, and smiles when he sees Kris looking down at him, concerned. “It’s a little chilly in here, isn’t it? Ah, they turn the air conditioning up so high...” He says with a shiver. He definitely doesn’t remember the airport ever feeling this cold, even in the middle of summer with the air conditioning at its highest. He’s had a hard time adapting to temperatures ever since he left the hospital, especially the cold, and Yixing’s parents (and a rather stern Kris) seem to think it has a lot to do with how much weight he’s lost since the incident.
 
“It’s thirty degrees outside, ‘xing,” Kris says, and Yixing bumps against him, jutting out his bottom lip in his best pout. “You’re the only crazy that’s a. wearing a coat, and b. actually complaining about air con,”
 
“Only crazy,” Yixing teases, and Kris pokes him in the ribs, causing him to squeak loudly and flinch away, laughing behind his hands.
 
They stop momentarily just under the departure board to allow Yixing’s parents to catch up with the luggage cart, which Kris takes control of as they move over to the check in counters and join the line in front of Air China. Kris spends most of his time standing idly by the cart as Yixing’s parents fuss over his suitcase and lament over the things he’d forgotten to pack (namely his toothbrush, half his clothes and his favorite headphones). Once he has his boarding pass safely tucked away in the zipped up pocket of his jacket (”don’t you dare touch that zipper that until it’s time to board,” Yixing’s father threatens) they all make their way to the security gate, where Kris is forced to stand a few feet away while Yixing says a tearful goodbye to his parents.
 
“We’ll go get the car and then meet you out front,” Yixing’s mother says as they pass by Kris on their way out, and Kris nods his head to her in thanks. There’s a few moments of silence that follows, where Kris doesn’t dare to move from his spot, instead just watches as Yixing bows his head and then wipes away the last of his tears before Kris can see them.
 
“D - Don’t listen to anything my parents say when they drive you home, OK?” He mumbles, taking a few steps closer to Kris and doing his best to smile up at him. “And don’t say anything weird to them, either. They like you right now. Let’s not mess that up, yeah?”
 
“I’ll do my best,” Kris says cheekily, and for a second Yixing is laughing, but in the next second he’s crying again, choking out sobs into the back of his hand and allowing Kris to pull him into a tight hug. “Hey, hey, don’t cry, Yixing,” He says soothingly, patting down Yixing’s hair and then pulling him even closer still. “You’re going to see your grandparents, you’re going to have an amazing time, you’re - I’m going to miss you, ‘xing.”
 
“I’m going to miss you too,” Yixing breathes against his neck, melting into the embrace. “I’ll only be gone a few months. And then I’ll be back. We’ll still be friends, right?”
 
“Of course, Yixing.” Kris sighs and pulls back slightly, places both hands on Yixing’s shoulders and looks him dead in the eye. “Just get better, okay?”
 
“I will,” Yixing nods his affirmative and Kris beams wide. He then wanders back over to the luggage cart (now significantly emptier) and fumbles around with his own bag, his back to Yixing. he then returns, arms full of something very large and very blue, which he doesn’t actually realize is a scarf until Kris is winding it around his neck and then patting it down at the front.
 
“I knew you’d be cold,” Kris shakes his head, bemused, as Yixing reaches up to press his fingers into the soft wool. “That’s my favorite scarf. You recognize it, right? It’s the one I always wear to school. It gets pretty cold in Changsha in the winter, doesn’t it? So hold onto it until you come back, okay?”
 
“Okay,” Yixing lifts the scarf and holds it against his face, breathing in deeply. It smells a lot like Kris, he realizes with a jolt.
 
“Make sure you eat a lot while you’re there. And keep in touch with me, you have my number and my Skype. Make sure you exercise a lot too, you need to - you need...”
 
“I’ll get better, Wu Fan,” Yixing promises. It's almost time for him to board, now, and he still needs to get through security. His parents are probably already waiting outside by now for Kris, too. ”I’ll get better and come back to give your scarf back to you. But I should go now, I think.”
 
Yixing definitely still wants to go to Changsha, but as Kris pulls him in for one last hug and whispers a thick goodbye into his hair, he can’t help but feel like he never, ever wants to let go of this.
 
 
 
It’s not until an hour later, once Yixing is sat comfortably in his seat and the plane is already halfway into the sky, does he notice the tiny white envelope tucked into the front pocket of his carry on. It’s addressed to Mr. Kim, and there’s even an address written on it, but Yixing knows right away that this was no mistake.
 
Teacher, it reads. The writing, this time, is in sprawled, messy Chinese. Yixing grins - this is more like it.
 
It’s been three months to this day since you took me to meet him properly for the first time.
And I just thought that maybe you’d like to know that I don’t love him any less.
He’s smiling so much nowadays, I didn’t think he could get any more beautiful than before but he has.
I love him so much and I don’t want to have to say goodbye to him tomorrow but it’s for the best, because when he comes back to me the nightmares will be gone and his smile will be forever.
And it might be asking for too much but I want to be the one that keeps it there.
-K
 
 
 
When Yixing is done reading it, he folds it neatly back into the envelope and slips it back inside his carry on, smiling so wide that his cheeks actually hurt. He bites down on his lip to try and get his expression back to neutral so he doesn’t creep out the little old lady in the seat next to him (who is already looking over at him, rather concerned), but it’s a battle long lost.
 
He doesn’t think he’s been this happy in a long, long time. 
 
 
 
 
-
 
 
 
 
woah woah woah 
 
okay yes I posted the original in feb but man I didnt expect this kind of response??? I'm glad so many people liked it
 
also so many people are asking for a sequel
 
guyssssssss I've been planning the sequel since before I even finished the actual oneshot
 
this is just a tiny little epilogue which was kind of necessary in order for me to write the actual sequel but yes
 
the sequel will be focusing on Yixing's recovery and his relationship with Kris. 
 
It's been in planning for a long time but it's JA! that is actually giving me the push to write it :D since she is one of the winners for my auction (exo for sichuan) 
 
but yeah
just.
yeah. :( 
it'll probably still be a bit before you see it, it's hard to write and is going to be pretty long
but yep 
no need to ask anymore it's coming!