Your Personal Creeper, Myungsoo

I Still Remember

Myungsoo's POV 

2 years earlier

The sign signals a green light against the darkness, letting the pedestrians know that we can cross the road. As I reach the middle of the road, I hear screeches of tires and stop to see what was happening. Two headlights of a car swerve dangerously down the road, right at me.

BAM!!

I flip over the car, and land in an awkward position. The excruciating pain makes me black out for a second, but then I remember where I'm going. What I was supposed to do. 

I don't understand. I need to say goodbye to her one last time.

I hadn't wanted to tell her goodbye, because it was too painful. I was just going to take off without saying anything... I guess this is what I get for thinking that.

"WHAT DO I DO, OPPA?! I JUST RAN OVER SOMEONE!!" a woman shrieks in the background. The air stunk of alcohol. Bright car lights stung my vision, making my head ache painfully.  

"Let's go! No one will know we did it!" a man yells, pushing the woman back into the car. They zoom off dangerously, and the sharp lights are gone, leaving me in the dark.

That's the reason why you don't drink while driving.

"Naeun....Mianhe, I couldn't tell you..." I rasp as my vision begins to fade. Soon, the world goes dark, and the pain is gone. 

 

 

"Myungsoo-ah."

"Myungsoo-ah, wake up."

"MYUNGSOO!" a woman yells into my ear. I bolt up, and my vision is flooded by a warm light that seems to have no source. I am in a comfy bed...with familiar dog posters on the wall...wait. This is my room. 

"Good, you finally woke up," a voice sighs, and I track the sound of the voice. 

"OMMA?!" I laugh happily, jumping out of the bed into her arms. She looks better than when she had died two years ago. Her cheeks glow healthily, and her eyes twinkle warmly.

"Yes, it's me," she laughs, wrapping her arms tightly around me, "Welcome to heaven."

"Wait. What?"

"That's right," Omma nudges me on.

"But I have to go to Nana! I don't have time to be dead!" I protest. 

"You're in heaven right now. She'll come to us when it's her time," Omma shakes her head as she walks over to the window, opening the curtains. Instead of the boring cityscape, I see rolling green pastures and golden roads.  

"B-but-"

Omma signals for me to shut up as a contemplative looks takes over her face. "Ah, I remember her now. She's that cheerful girl who always seemed to be having some sort of fight with you. She was a bubbly girl, and her message to me when I died was really cute....Arraso. I'll just let you catch a glimpse of her future. "

Omma heads downstairs, and I grab a blanket to cacoon myself in before I follow her down the stairs. I find her in the living room, looking under pillows, searching for something.

"Where's that darn remote?" she mutters, looking under the couch. 

"Isn't it right here?" I grab the remote from the TV stand. She receives the remote and turns on the TV.

"No..not the Tour of Heaven channel...not the cherubum channel either, I never loved that channel...oh! Here it is," she exclaims as Nana appears on the screen.

She was sitting on the log that we had carved our initials on when we had our first kiss. She was sitting down, looking up at the stars, wondering where I am. She starts crying when she realizes that I won't appear.

"Is this the Stalker Channel?!" I snort.

"This is how we check up on our loved ones, pabo," Omma informs me, rolling her eyes. She fastforwards through the channel and I catch glimpses of Nana's life. 

In the beginning, Nana cries a ton. She stops by my house to see if I am home, but I am there. As time moves on, she seems to toughen up, and she starts smiling again. She can walk by my house without squeezing out a tear now. She begins to hang out with guys, and soon, she's dating tons of them. My heart contracts as I see her smiling and laughing with them, just like the times in seventh grade when she hung out with that Sungjong guy. She breaks up with them almost as quickly as she starts dating them though, and I smile to see I'm the one she's been with for so long. Even though I'm gone, she annually walks up to the pond, skating alone. 

I could've spared her those moments of sorrow. She wouldn't be skating on a frozen pond by herself if I had said goodbye to her properly. And if I was still alive, I could've come back for her. I could've been by her side and watched her grow up to be a woman...and maybe my wife. We could've had a family together, and we could've brought our children every winter to the frozen pond.

But I'm dead now, and there isn't anything I can do.

Soon, we've already fastforwarded through two years of her life. We reach her eighteenth birthday. At first, it seems as if Nana's going to stay at home and spend her birthday at home with her family. But she grabs those skates I had bought her in seventh grade for her birthday, and leaves for the frozen pond.

Nana's changed over these two years. She's no longer the Crybaby Nana I once knew. Her once vulnerable innocent face is replaced with a now intelligent calm face. She holds her head up high as if she's never experienced heartbreak even once in her life. Once she reaches the top of the hill, she stares at the pond for a while, thinking. She sits down on the log with our initials and writing in a journal with a smile. I watch as a tear slides down her cheek as she write, but she doesn't seem to notice. Instead, she just keeps on writing until the sun is about to set. Then she gets up and starts to skate in figure eights, like she used to when we were together. Then she trips.

And then she falls.

Then the screen goes black.

"Is it broken?! What's happening?!" I gasp in horror, facing Omma.

She's pale and numbly answers, "Something's wrong. I'm sorry Myungsoo." 

No. It can't be. 

"NOO!! THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE TV!!" I run towards the TV, tripping over my blanket.

 

All of a sudden, I'm surrounded by snowflakes and snowy trees.

What's happening? Where am I?

Observing my surroundings, I take in the wintery scenery. This was where I needed to be before I died. 

The frozen pond. 

For some strange reason, even though I'm wearing thin pajamas, I'm not even cold, but I wrap the blanket around me anyways. Ahead of me stretches the frozen pond, and an eighteen year old Nana is skating. Just like in the TV.

I step forward excitedly, wanting to talk to her. My foot lands on a brittle twig, and it snaps. 

Nana's head jerks awkwardly as she tries to see what caused the sound, and then she trips and falls. The impact is so heavy, that she creates a crack in the ice, and the pond swallows her up.

Don't tell me she dies because of me.

"NAEUN-AH!!" I yell, shedding my blanket and sprinting over to the hole in the ice. I don't even pause to think about it as I dive in behind her. The water is murky, and I reach out wildly for Naeun. Luckily, I locate her waist, and I drag her back up to the surface. Even though she is eighteen now, and I am only sixteen, I'm still taller and more muscular. As I shift her body so I can hold her more comfortably within my arms, I wonder whether she's even grown at all. Running back into the woods after I laid Naeun on the shore, I find my blanket, and wrap her in it.  I push against her chest and a stream of water dribbles out of . 

Finally, she starts breathing normally, and looks as if she's asleep. I remember watching her sleep when she was a child. Even then, I had a crush on her. I just couldn't show it, because I'm a guy, of course. She looked like an angel when she slept, and even now, she looks lika an angel that dropped out of heaven. 

Waiting for her to wake up, I walk over to the log to see if her journal is there. I wonder what she wrote about that made her cry. 

Even though I know I'm invading her personal space, I open the diary. Scrawled messily inside were bunches of paragraphs and smudge marks. Lucky for me, I've known Nana for so long that I can read her handwriting. 

I smile as I fondly recollect the memories she recorded in here. I never understood why she called me Creeper Myungsoo. I'm beautiful, and everyone knows it. My smile fades as I read on about her middle school years. Is that how she saw me? I wasn't that big of a jerk...was I? I was only trying to make her jealous, but my plan must've backfired. 

I pick up the pencil she had left in her diary. I guess I'll finish the rest of the memories for her.


Dear Diary,

This is Myungsoo. It's a Myungsoo Invasion, kekekeke... 

I know I have much to explain Crybaby, but I'll take my time since you seem to be passed out on the ground right now. I'll start off where you left off.

 

I wanted to bring you to the place we had spent so much time together before we were separated in middle school, the frozen pond. Here.

When we arrived here, I couldn't help but blush as I gave you my present.

"Saengi lchukha hamnida," I smiled shyly as you opened the gift I had spent a whole year's allowance on.

"Wah~ They're so pretty!!" your eyes twinkled, "Not bad, Creeper."

"I don't see what's so creepy about me! Is it creepy that I'm just plain handsome, and that I wanted to be your boyfriend?!" I ranted, oblivious to the slip I made.

"W-What?" you stared at me, shocked.

"I said, I don't see what's so creepy! Is it-" I gasped, realizing what I had said, blushing massively, "Oh."

I awkwardly sat down on the log, not meeting your face. That day had changed from one of sorrow, to happiness when you came... and now to awkwardness.   

"Yah," you sat down next to me, surprising me, "Are you going to ask or not?" 

"EHH?! Y-you-it-" my eyes bulged.

"You never know until you try," you shot that cute grin at me. 

I shifted in my seat, facing you. You looked at me expectantly, and my heart started hammering in my chest.

"Can you be my girlfriend, and make me a happy man?" I stammered.

"Hm...Let me think about it. Sure!" you laughed, hugging me. 

And that was the day we had our first kiss. That was when we also carved our initials into this log. I thought it would be the most magical day of my life, but everyday with you after that was just as magical afterward. For two years, we were together, until one day, Appa wanted to talk to me. 

I'm sorry, Nana. I wanted to tell you, but I died before I could. 

Over the two years, you were the spark of my life. At home, Appa started having some depression issues because of Omma's death. He began to change slowly from an overprotective father to one who didn't care anymore. Do you remember how lovey dovey they were even though they were in their fourties?  They treasure each other so much, that losing one would totally cripple the other. That's what happened to Appa. I think the fact that he couldn't protect Omma broke him. I watched him devolve into a depressed mess that couldn't even take care of his son anymore. I had to do all the chores in the house, make dinner, and do everything Amma used to do. In a way, it's a blessing, because I learned to take care of myself. He felt like he couldn't hold onto anything anymore, and then he lost his job.  

Seeing how much Appa was suffering, my grandparents invited us to live with them, so Appa could get back on his feet again. I didn't want to though.

I didn't want to lose you. I didn't want to say good-bye.

Appa wouldn't listen to my pleas and told me that it would be good for both of us. After heated debates, Appa told me that even though he couldn't stay in this place for even a second more, I was allowed to stay for one more week. In exchange, I was in charge of packing our stuff up and making sure the stuff made it to Grandpa's house. 

Of course I said yes. One more week with you was better than nothing at all.

I had planned to tell you what was going on and say goodbye, but I couldn't bring myself to. I tried to bring it off once, but watching your expectant eyes turn onto me made me shut up. The words seemed to get stuck in my throat, and all too soon, Saturday came. I had to tell you. I knew that if I had left without even saying good-bye, you would've been devasted. 

Taking the sidewalk instead of the bus was the worst mistake I ever made. I wanted to delay the pain, that hopefully, even in the last minute, Appa would tell me I could stay here forever by your side. 

Then some drunk driver hit me, and I died before even reaching the pond. 

I guess that's what I get for not telling you earlier.

It's funny how Omma and son went to heaven the same way. Maybe it was the same drunk driver too. Maybe Appa will follow me and Omma, too, in the same way.

In heaven, I met Omma. She was so healthy and happy. 

Did you know there's a Stalker Channel, so that we could watch over our beloved ones who are still in the world? 

The first person I looked for was you. I saw how you suffered through the heartbreak I caused you, how you tried to hold your head high despite what I did, and how you grew up to become the person you are now.

I saw how you came up here to let go of me. 

How you slipped and hit your head onto the frozen ground.

And how you died. 

Maybe if I hadn't intefered, we would've reunited in heaven. But you have a whole life ahead of you, and you can't squander it on a fool like me. 

I'm sorry I couldn't be by your side throughout all that pain. In fact, if I had said goodbye, I might've spared you from this pain.

 

Do you remember that movie we watched two years ago, right before I died? You probably don't remember since it's been so long, but I remember it like it was yesterday. 

"Winter can be cold for those with no warm memories."

Well, winter for me will never be cold, because in every single memory of mine, there was you.

For you, the last two winters might have been cold, because of me. Go and make some memories that will warm you up.  

Even though I'm gone, I hope you can create more warm memories with people you love. So now, I'm telling you to let me go. Move on, because there are so many people in the world who need you in their life.  

Thank you for being there for me when I was alive. I love you, even in death.

And remember, I will always be watching over you.   

 

Your Personal Creeper,

Kim Myungsoo

 


 

Putting down the pencil, a tear drops from my cheek. In astonishment, I realize that I've been crying the whole time I wrote my message down to Nana. I guess I'm the crybaby after all. I get up from the log and kneel next to Nana, seeing if she's stirred yet. 

Sleeping like an angel, Nana purses her lips and flips over as if she can sense me watching her. Even though she's eighteen, she still looks the same. I can't help myself as I lean over, and press a tender kiss onto her lips.

As if by magic, Nana's eyelids start fluttering, and she stirs. I move to help support her back, but suddenly I'm pushed back by an unknown force. 

"Aish, I'm so clumsy!" Nana curses cutely as she nurses the back of her head. She looks around, a bit dazed and confused. My heart thumps wildly as her gaze lands on me...then keeps going. 

She can't see me. 

"Yah! Nana!" I waved, trying to get her attention, but she just blinks and looks down at my blanket.

"EHHHH?!" she eyes bulge. "Isn't this Myungsoo's?!" Nana unwraps herself, and inspects the blanket. Shivering, she wraps herself in it.

"Of course it's mine! Who else has a handmade blanket with dog patterns?!" I huff, but she doesn't acknowledge me. 

She can't hear me either. 

Looking up at the sky, she notices that the sun has already set, and hurries over to her diary. Fishing out her flashlight, she mutters incoherently to herself. 

"Something weird's going on...." she mutters phrases along that line as she finds her journal. Opening it, she notices something's strange and furrows her brows. Her eyes widen in surprise and she gasps. 

A slight force is tugging me upward. My job must be done.

But I don't want to leave. I want to stay longer, even if it's for a minute. Rebelling against the upward tug, I make my way to Naeun. 

By now, she's crying, just like she had when I'd stolen her teddy bears.

She looks around trying to locate me. Smiling softly, I watch over her, knowing she won't see me, hear me, or touch me. 

"Myungsoo-ah! I'm sorry I ever doubted you. I love you, too," she whispers. She walks over to the hole she had cracked open in the lake, and drops the diary in the water. "I hope you're well, and that you and your Omma are happy together in heaven," she cries softly. 

"I am," I can barely answer. 

Before she descends the hill, she looks around one last time, and I wave goodbye.

Her eyes widen as they focus on me. Smiling tearfully, she waves back. 

"I love you, Crybaby," I mouth, not sure if she can actually see me.

"I love you much more, Creeper," another tear trails down Nana's cheeks.

Then she turns back around, not looking back even once, and I finally give into the upward tug.

 


YAY!!! I finished!! I hoped you guys liked this chapter!!

It might've been a bit confusing in the second chapter since I switched points of view, but I hope you understood it!

also, if this story says it's updated or something...THAT JUST MEANS I'M MAKING GRAMMER CORRECTIONS!!! so i'm not trolling you or anything...  

Thanks for reading!!! COMMENTS ARE VERY VERY VERY WELCOME!!! and silent readers make me depressed...TT.TT -LOLxbox