Dear Diary

I Still Remember

Snowflakes sting my cheeks as I trek up the hill to my destination.

Why am I doing this to myself? I could be at home, reading a good book, or watching my favorite drama. Instead, I choose this. 

I need to get over him, that's why. What is the use of being hung up over a boy that didn't even say goodbye properly?

Maybe it was because he never said goodbye that I felt that we were still together, hand in hand. But if that was true, then he'd still be by my side now, taking this annual journey with me. 

Taking this trip one last time is going to help me get over him. I plan to bury those memories here, in this place. Determined, I tighten my grip on the ice skates and keep going. At the top of the hill, I am rewarded with the view of a beautiful frozen lake. This was Myungsoo's and my secret spot. I pull out my diary as I sat down on a log, inspecting the carving on it.

MS x NE

No one wanted to venture out into the cold weather except for the two of us. We used to go off on missions when we were little, and we had discovered this pond. Luckily for us, no one had discovered this place, and even till this time, only the two of us knew about it. You see, Myungsoo and I grew up together. I've known him ever since birth. I guess I better start writing down these memories. 

 


 

Dear Diary,

This is my last time at this beautiful lake. I've finally decided to get over him. I've decided to write down my most beloved memories of him, so that I can tear them out of this book and bury them here. Maybe it'll make me feel like I can leave him behind, because I am literally leaving my memories back here. 

Myungsoo and I were two peas in a pod. We used to hang out together every single day, stealing each other's toys and bickering over who had the largest amount of stuff. 

"Nana! Look! You have one, two, three, four candy canes!!! You have more!" Myungsoo would whine.

"No! You have more! You have one, three, seven candy canes!" I would protest. 

"Pabo! You can't skip numbers!" Myungsoo would fume..

That was when we were three and still couldn't count though. And when we could, things got even worse. 

"Omma! Myungsoo took my candy canes!" I would tattle.

"But now we're even! See? We each have two teddy bears!" Myungsoo would grin.

"BUT IT'S MINE!! STEALER!!!" I would start bawling.  

"Shhh, Naeun-ah. Myungsoo-ah, give Naeun back her teddy bear," Mrs. Kim would scold Myungsoo. 

"Sorry, Nana," he smiled shyly. Then planted a kiss on the teddy bear, "Sorry teddy bear. I didn't mean to steal you from your omma."

"Eww! Cooties," I would stick out a tongue, but I would still accept the teddy bear. 

From that time on, Myungsoo's nickname for me was Crybaby Nana, and he used that name whenever he wanted to annoy me. To annoy him back, I'd call him Creeper Myungsoo, because of his strange smile. Even though I had first thought that his smile was creepy, the smile grew on me till I actually realized that it was pretty cute. But that was much later. 

 


 

I smile at the memory, shaking my head. Huh, it's getting pretty cold. I make sure my scarf and gloves are secure, snuggling in my thick jacket.  

 


 

When Myungsoo and I had gotten older, we stopped squabbling over petty things like candy and teddy bears. Instead, we competed over who got the better grades. We would always study together, ready to show off our smarts to the other. Basically, elementary school consisted of competing with Myungsoo in smarts and in sports. Personally, I would say I was the smarter, but Myungsoo was more athletic. He's a boy afterall. 

That was how we found this pond to begin with. I would always challenge Myungsoo in the one thing I could beat him in physically, sledding. We climbed billions of hills, until we came to the largest hill we've ever seen. Excited, We ran all the way to the top, and that was when we met this lake.

Every winter from then on, we would come up here to skate...until middle school arrived.  

Soon, we became middle schoolers, and everything seemed to change. First of all, I had always been taller than Myungsoo. When I had realized he was as tall as me, I was taken aback. This wasn't the Myungsoo I knew, but I dismissed that thought. Girls began to get interessted in Myungsoo, and for some reason I had felt a bit annoyed. Because Myungsoo seemed to be hanging out with other girls other than me so much, I started hanging out with more guys. 

That was how I met Sungjong. He was a cute boy, almost like a girl. To me, he was always the little sister I'd wanted. Notice that I said sister. He was too pretty to be a boy. His eyes were huge, bigger than mine actually. As I hung out with Sungjong more, I felt the drift between Myungsoo and I get bigger and bigger. 

 


I sigh, looking at the sky. The sun is almost setting, so I better hurry up. I slip on my ice skates. Even though they are pretty old and beat up, I still wear them. It's a miracle I still fit in them. The thing that made these so special wasn't that it was old and beat up, though. It was because Myungsoo had given them to me for my sixteenth birthday. 


 

"Hey Myungsoo," I sheepishly waved at him one morning. Actually, it wasn't just any morning. It was the morning of my birthday. In the mornings Myungsoo had basketball practice, and we would never be able to walk to school...which was another factor of why we didn't hang out much anymore. If I remember correctly, Myungsoo had come early for once that morning. 

"Hey, Naeun," he replied, not even smiling anymore. He didn't even look at me. He just stared at his feet as if they were better than me. What was even worse was that he didn't even call me Nana anymore, or even Crybaby! Who knew there would be a day that I wouldn't have been happy when he just called my normal name?

"What happened to Crybaby? Or Nana?" I .

"Go away, Naeun. I'm not in the mood," he grumbled, walking away.

"FINE! I SEE HOW IT IS!! YOU JUST GO AND RUN OFF TO YOUR GIRLFRIENDS! I HAVE OTHER FRIENDS! I DON'T NEED YOU!!" I ranted, tears welling up in my eyes. I detested the person Myungsoo was then. How he ignored me for no such reason. Whatever. Popular guys think they're all that anyways. 

When I had gotten home, Omma's eyes were all red. 

"Omma, what's wrong?" I wondered. I had been expecting a surprise birthday party, but the atmosphere was to somber for that. 

"Oh Naeun-ah. We just received the news. Mrs. Kim was in a car crash last night," Omma shook her head. 

"Then she'll heal, Omma. Why are you sad?" I didn't understand what was going on. 

"She's dead, Naeun....She's gone," a tear dropped. Mrs. Kim had been Omma's best friend, and the grief was killing Omma from the inside out. I gasped in horror, immediately regretting what I had told Myungsoo. I took off for Myungsoo's house, bringing hastily plucked flowers from my personal garden in the back yard.

"MYUNGSOO-AH!!! OPEN UP!!" I banged on his door, forgetting that there was a doorbell. 

"Yeah?" Myungsoo said as he opened the door. His eyes were puffy and he was still sniffling. 

"I-I'm sorry. I'm sorry I was so mean to you!! I didn't know! Honest!!" I started sobbing, shoving the bunch of flowers into his hands.

"Yah, Crybaby. I knew that you didn't know. Isn't it your birthday or something? No wonder you were all happy this morning. You even said "hi" to me," Myungsoo snorted through his sniffles.

"I-is she in there? Can I say goodbye?" I wiped away my tears. 

"Yeah, she's here," Myungsoo let me in. Then he led me to a room, where there was a table with pictures of Mrs. Kim and candles. There wasn't any coffin.

"She's not literally here, but I think her spirit is," Myungsoo's lips curled into his creeper smile. "Omma, guess who came over today? Naeun! I wonder how long it's been since she's come over?"

"Two years, two months and thirteen days," I stated.

"EHHH?! Jinja?!" Myungsoo looked at me as if I was an alien.

"No, Creeper. I TOTALLY keep track of the days I haven't been here," I rolled my eyed sarcastically. 

"Yah! Don't call me a creeper! You're the creeper in the first place!" Myungsoo accused me.

"Yeah, but you're the one with the creeper smile," I grinned. Myungsoo just scowled. I turned to the table of Mrs. Kim's photos. "Anyeonghaseyo, Mrs. Kim! It's been a long time since I've seen you! Are you doing well now? How's heaven? Please look over your son, he seems to have some creeper issues." 

"Hey!" Myungsoo frowned.

"Kamsameheda for being a part of my life and always being there for Omma. I hope we meet again in the next life," I finished and turned towards Myungsoo. "Okay, I'm done. I should go home now." 

"Um, can you stay for a bit? I have something for you," Myungsoo looked around for something.

"You actually got me a birthday gift?! Wow...I'm surprised," I shook my head. 

"Don't get your hopes up, Crybaby. This is last year's gift, since I wasn't able to get it to you," Myungsoo clucked, leading me to his room. I had been to his room a million times when we were children, but now that I was a middle schooler, just about to enter highschool, I was a bit nervous. 

"Y-You didn't get one for me this year?" I tried to act normally. Myungsoo shot a look at me. Oh right, his mom died...of course he wouldn't have time. Great, now he'll think I'm a selfish crybaby.

His room had changed drastically from when I was last in there. It used to be baby blue with little clouds to make it look like we were floating in the sky. We used to pretend that we were astronauts or pilots. Now his wall was covered with posters of dogs. Even his blanket had imprints of dogs.  

"O-kay...Myungsoo. You are now officially a creeper," my eyebrows seemed to lift off my face.

"Dogs are really cute. Cuter than you at least," Myungsoo stuck his toungue out. 

"Shut up," I huffed. 

"Here it is!" Myungsoo grinned as he pulled out a shoe box from the closet.

"What is it?" I made a grab for the box, but Myungsoo pulled the box away before I could hold it. He was half a foot taller than me now, so my efforts were futile.

"First, I need to bring you somewhere," he smiled softly. I guess that was the first time I noticed how cute he was, even with a creeper smile. 

 


I stretch my back, putting down my pencil and diary. It is sunset now, and I want to skate before it's dark. I'll write later; that's the reason why I brought a flashlight.  I test how slippery the ice is before I get on. Hm, the ice is actually kind of bumpy today. 

I shrug that thought off as I make figure eights.

Pshhhh!! SSSSAA!!!

What was that sound? Had someone followed me up here?! I panicked, and tripped over a stone.

And everything went black. 


Hey guys!!! This is a fic...which was supposed to be a oneshot...but turned out to be a two shot cuz i can't write this all in one go... It's a bit long. And if you guys haven't realized it yet, the font changes everytime I switch from the present to the diary writing...yeah...HOPE YOU GUYS LIKED IT AND COMMENT!!! -LOLxbox