Itchy

What if you're blind?
Yep…I have twisted my ankle and created a huge crack on my lower left leg. Crutches are my best friend in fact I named mine “Itchy”. I’ve got a good reason too. Itchy makes my under arms pain. OW! And I wasn’t willing to name it “Pain” because that’s a little too harsh.

Well I still attended school like usual.

Here I was slowly half hopping up four flights of stairs. I was half-way through…phew…Goofy had tagged along with me today. I finally arrived to my class but I was 20 minutes late. I was far too late to say I got lost or just visited my locker. I deeply sighed as I opened the door my head hanging low.

“Ah…Ribbon has arrived, and why are you so late dear?” Mrs Grambelle asked.

“The thing is…” I felt all eyes staring at me and I was really starting to get rather nervous.

I limped closer to whisper the real reason into her ear. She looked down to my leg.

“Your leg seems seriously injured Ribbon.”

“It’s okay really.”

“Well you better get to your seat dear I was in the middle of assigning everyone our new assignment.”

I quietly backed away to my seat. Goofy sat beside me.

I listened as the teacher announced our new assignment and what we should be doing.

“I’d like you all to be in pairs, considering on our subject it is preferable that you all match up in boys and girls.” Mrs Grambelle announced.

Everyone in the class started muttering as they questioned. Pairs? Boys and Girls?

“Silence I don’t want another word from any of your lips. Am I clear?” Mrs Grambelle bellowed.

No one said anything.

“Am I clear?!” she asked again.

“Yes!” we all chorused back.

(Even though it was lunch people still complained about the assignment…including me.)

“We’re going to be working in pairs for this project thing. And especially boy and girl? That’s insane!” I scowled at Yvonne.

“Well she said its “preferable” so we could work together.” Yvonne said.

“How can we? I mean look at it we’re supposed to find if men or women have a faster reactions in all situations. I mean what kind of assignment is that. I’ve never even heard we’re supposed to do these things. I bet Mrs Grambelle just made it so she can make us all cooperate together boy and girl without killing each other.”

“I guess.”

Mrs Grambelle was approaching behind us and I turned after hearing her footsteps. I bolted from the benches I was sitting on.

“Is there something you would like Mrs Grambelle?” I asked politely.

“Ahh…yes Ribbon. Can you follow me to our classroom? I forgot to tell you something before you left.” Mrs Grambelle said.

“Yes Ms.”

I followed her. When we entered I heard Mike’s voice inside.

“Mrs Grambelle why was the reas…what is she doing here?” he shrieked.

“Now now settle down Mike. I have looked at how you both react to each other and the previous fight that you both attended to has forced me into this decision. I really didn’t want to do this but you two must work together on this project no matter what you say.” Mrs Grambelle sighed as she told us.

There was total silence for 5 seconds. Anyone could hear crickets singing in the background.

Then I burst. “WHAT?!” But it wasn’t just me screaming it Mike had joined in too.

But like Mrs Grambelle said no matter what we did we were stuck on this project together and that was final.

I sat on my desk for the rest of lunch and lay my head on my arms. Then I looked out to the direction of the window.

I sighed as I whispered, “Wow…normal people at my stage would be looking out the window. But…but I’ve got nothing to see…”

I lay my head against my arms again. I must have slept because I nearly fell when the end of lunch bell rang. I yawned as I rubbed my eyes and lift my head. My nose brushed against something. I reached my hand to touch it. Wait...there was a triangular pointy shape d object with two holes at the base. What could it be…wait…no…it couldn’t be what I was thinking…could it be…a…a…a nose!

“Ahh!...” I screamed as I pulled my head back and threw my hands into the air.

A sudden burst of laughter filled the air, and it wasn’t mine. It was Jeremy’s.

“Jeremy?!...you…you freaked me out!” I yelled into his face.

He laughed again, “Ohhh….haha…oh man…you should have seen your face…it was so funny!”

“Hahaha.” I laughed sarcastically. “Very funny but I can’t.”

He wiped tears that were forming in his eyes from laughing too hard. “Can’t what?”

“Can’t see myself.” I replied.

“Obviously unless you look in a mirro…oh…I’m sorry I didn’t really mean it like that, it’s just…”

“You forgot? Yeah, I know. It’s always the same…don’t worry about it.” I interrupted.

‘I really didn’t…”

“I said don’t worry about it…” I laughed trying to hide my pain. I hope it didn’t show because it was so painful. The way I became blind and how it affected my whole life. I can never go back.

***
(My childhood memory (the time I lost my sight))

I touched the thin cloth that wrapped my eyes. Even though I cried nobody could see my tears. My world…I reached out to touch something…anything.

Even though my Mum and my sister took special care of me and gave me special treatment. I felt worse. I would do anything to make the world go back to the way it is. I would always curl up at night in a corner of my room and cry.

Why did I have to be so alone in this black with no colours?

After a few weeks I went to school…I never had the feeling I could be normal…no…I did once…a small boy, Scott. My first crush. Well he admitted that he liked me. Well we were pretty young, 11 years old. Going out to watch movies together was the most we could do. I was so happy when we officially became boyfriend and girlfriend. Everyone in our class always classified us as the perfect pair. All of my classmates started to hang out with me and talked to me like they normally did. And the fact that I was blind was no problem any longer. It was the happiest month. Until all of it changed because of what one little boy said. We were on a date when a small boy holding a balloon in on hand and his mother’s hand in the other passed us. He looked at e very intently and said. “Look at her eyes Mama. Her eyes look scary. Is she an alien?” I guess little boys don’t know how much it can hurt people. But he was right I was an alien. I was nowhere like anyone else. I was too different. His mother apologized for her son’s behavior and the words that he said and she scolded him as they walked away. From then on I felt extremely different and so did Scott. He realized that I was pulling him down and making him look bad in front of other people.

So the next day at school in lunch he came to me and told me something I still regret hearing.

“I’m so sorry…Ribbon I really like you but…but it’s so hard to be with you when you’re blind. I really can’t help you all the time. You always ask me what this is and what that is. I really like you when you were normal.”

It hit me like lightning this boy, Scott didn’t want to be with me just because I couldn’t see…he wanted someone normal. Normal…

***

Insides never counted and will never count. People always said what’s inside is what counts.

I am not so bad-looking. It’s always the eyes. I had beautiful eyes when I was young everyone adored e because of my beautiful chocolate brown eyes. But now my eyes are a curse. My right eye is light green while my left eye is bluish-grayish. No matter what I tried I couldn’t hide my eyes.

My hair is chestnut brown and sometimes dark brown. It is wavy at the end. I always wash it with mint-smelling shampoo but nobody notices.

(Jeremy, Yvonne and I walk together often to the park after school)

Yvonne turned around and called towards me. “Ribbon hurry up!” she smiled as she started skipping away.

I hopped as fast as I possibly could with Goofy towards Yvonne. I giggled as I crossed the street.

“Beep!” the sound erupted. It was coming from the road. I turned my head to face the sound. It was right beside me. I sounded like a huge truck charging towards me. I just pulled my arms to my face trying to protect it as my crutches clattered to the ground.

~~~

I hope you like this chapter
Originally I was going to add some more but then I got really busy so I couldn't...sorry...
I think this chapter is rather a little bit more interesting.
Please comment!
Thank you all my fans!
I hope I write my new chapters soon!