Welcome

Childhood memory

“Jongdae-ah, don’t play outside the house okay. Just play in the garden so that omma can always watch you. Omma can’t play with you because I have to cook for dinner, okay”

“Ne omma, arasseo. I will just play with Lassie”

Little Kim Jongdae was only 5 years old and happily spent his childhood time with his best childhood friend, Lassie in the garden of his house. His mother sometimes took a look at his precious son and smile when she saw him laugh after throwing frisbee to Lassie. Yes, Lassie was only a golden retriever yet Jongdae loved him like his own brother. It was love at the first sight since Jongdae’s father gave Lassie to him on his 4th birthday. Ever since, Jongdae and Lassie became an item, inseparable.

But that afternoon, Jongdae's playing time was interrupted when suddenly the bell ring. His maid opened the gate and welcomed the guests to come inside. His mother came and greet them and had a conversation with them. Jongdae then realized that the guests is none other than his new neighbor. He saw a few days ago a big truck stopped in front the house across his and brought out a lot of house equipment.

Jongdae’s mother then introduced him to his new neighbor. They were a family with one daughter. Unfortunately, his daughter got a fever at that time so they couldn't bring her along to visit Jongdae's house. Jongdae only know that she was a girl, 2 years younger than him and her name is Mi Young.

Little Jongdae didn’t really care with that Mi Young. He never had the thought to befriend with her. He had Lassie as his best friend and that was more than enough of a company for him.

 

It was a hot afternoon when Jongdae just got home after playing with his kindergarten friends at a park near his house. He caught by surprise when he heard a laugh from the house across his house. Curious, he decided to take a look at that house only to find out a little girl playing with her dolls in the garden. The gate of her house was open so he just come in to the house and watch that little girl in amusement.

She was beautiful with a chubby cheeks, fair skin, dark straight hair with a straight bangs frame her face perfectly. Little Jongdae didn’t know that there was a girl as beautiful as she is. He thought she was an angel.

The little girl finally realized that she was not alone in the garden and looked up to where Jongdae stand. She was surprised but she was not afraid. Innocent as ever, she stood up and walked towards Jongdae.

Jongdae was surprised enough when the little girl looking at him and the surprise grow bigger when she walked toward him. She looked really like an angel with a bright round eyes.

And he didn’t know why he felt giddy and excited when she smiles to him.

“Annyeonghaseyo. I’m sorry but who are you? How can you enter my house?” She asked with the sweetest voice Jongdae ever heard aside from his mother.

“Oh I’m sorry. My name is Kim Jongdae. I’m 5 years old and I live across your house. I come here because I see that the gate is open and then I see you playing alone.” Jongdae didn’t know why he gave that much information to the little girl whom he meet for the first time.

“Omo, my name is Kim Mi Young. We have the same name! And I’m 3 years old. Can I call you Oppa?”

He’s surprise but he answer nonetheless, “Eh? S-s-sure.”

“Oppa want to play with me?”

“Emmm I think I have to go back home, my mother will be worry if she know that I’m not at home yet”

“Noooooo play with me oppa. Beside my mother is cooking a pancake now, you have to taste it too! My mother's pancake is the best in the world!”

Jongdae was too wonderstruck by the sweet voice and the smile of little Mi Young that he unknowingly followed her to her garden and started playing with her.

Inside the house, Mi Young’s mother looked at the two children and smile in relieve, known that her precious daughter finally has a friend.

“Yoboseyo? Jongdae omma? This is Mi Young omma, Jongdae is now at my house playing with my Mi Young so please don’t worry about his whereabout……. Oh no it’s not a big deal, I’m happy that he can be a good friend to my daughter.”

Ever since that fateful day, Jongdae and Mi Young were inseparable. Jongdae will always play at Mi Young’s house after he finished school. They will play anything or just simply had an endless conversation or just read a book.

“Oppa who is your bestfriend in this world?” Mi Young suddenly ask him after their reading session end.

“Emm, let me think….. AH! I have one best friend in this world. We’ve been friend for more than a year and he’s more like a brother to me.”

“Really? What’s he look like? I want to meet him oppa, where is he now?” Mi Young’s eyes brightened and Jongdae just can’t resist her plea.

“His name is Lassie. Okay wait a moment, I’ll get him here.”

“Aaaaaww thank you Oppa, you’re best!”.

Jongdae’s heart was in a complete shock and skips a beat. Mi Young just peck his cheek……… He can feel his cheek flushed hot and as res as tomato and his mind went blank.

Mi Young’s concern voice suddenly slapped him back to reality. “Oppa what happen? Why don’t you go? I want to meet Lassie!”

He chuckled, then he walked and ruffled her hair, “Arasseo, wait a minute Mi Young-ah.”

 

A couple more minute later, Jongdae came to Mi Young’s garden with Lassie. “Mi Young-ah, this is my best friend, Lassie, come here.”

Mi Young then ran toward him but then walked slowly when she knew that Lassie was a dog. Mi Young’s face turn to frown and her legs trembled. She wanted to runaway but she just couldn’t.

Confused with Mi Young reaction, Jongdae decided to approach her with Lassie.

“What happen Mi Young-ah? You said that you want to meet my best friend. He’s here, this is Lassie my best friend.” Jongdae keeps smile and Lassie just wiggles his tail. Lassie then shout a playful bark, that makes Mi Young startled and surprised.

Mi Young then started to run away only to make Jongdae and Lassie run after her.

“Mi Young-ah, what happen?”

“Oppa don’t come near me, I don’t like ---aaaaahh.” She tripped over a small stone and fall to the grass.

What happen next really made Jongdae sad. Mi Young cried out loud and he saw her knee’s bleeding.

Mi Young’s mother came out from the house and approached them. “Omona Mi Young-ah, my baby what happen? Why do you cry? Omo you’re bleeding. Wait a moment sweetie, omma will bring a medicine for you.”

When she looked at Jongdae, she smiled knowing what makes her cry. She approached the confused boy and patted his head, “Jongdae darling, I’m sorry but Mi Young is fear of a dog. I’m sorry but maybe you can tie your dog at the tree so Mi Young can stop crying.”

Little Jongdae nodded and tied Lassie to the tree. His heart sanked. He was sad knowing that he has made his little Mi Young cries.

Jongdae then approached her and with a sad face he tried to calm her.

“Mi Young-ah, oppa really sorry. Oppa don’t know that you’re afraid of dog, mianhae…”

“It’s okay oppa….” She sobbed a little although his mother already treated her wound.

“Is it really hurt?” Jongdae point her wounded knee. Mi Young only nod weakly.

“Mianhae Mi young-ah… How about oppa singing now so you can feel better?”

“Oppa can sing? Really?” Mi Young’s eyes shine again, makes his heart warm again.

Jongdae just nodded and proceed to sing a children song he learn on his kindergarten.

Mi Young just looked at him in amusement. Even though he was only 5 years old, Jongdae already has a beautiful voice.

Mi Young clapped happily after Jongdae finished singing. “OPPA DAEBAK! Sing again please!”

Jongdae smiled and sang again. “Feel better now?” He asks after he finished the second song.

“Yes! Thank you oppa!” her face beamed with happiness. Makes him smile even more.

“You’re welcome Mi Young-ah. But you know, Lassie is a good dog. He will never bite you nor do any harm to you. He will be good to us.”

“Really oppa? But what if he bites me?” Her face turned to frown again.

“That won’t happen. Oppa is here and will always protect you from any harm. So…. Would you try to touch Lassie?”

Mi Young then nodded in doubt. Jongdae then approached her with Lassie and ask her to slowly touch Lassie’s fur.

When she saw that Lassie just stayed calm, Mi Young clapped her hand in satisfaction and his fur again. More brave this time.

At the end of that day, Lassie, Mi Young and Jongdae are became a trio. Mi Young is no longer afraid of Lassie because of Jongdae.

Before going back home, Mi Young said something that makes Jongdae's heart fluttered. “Oppa you have to always sing okay. Sing to me every day, okay!” She plea while giving him her best aegyo and her sweetest smile.

Little Jongdae couldn’t help but smile though his heart beat faster unknowingly. “Sure. Oppa will always sing for you. When I grow up, I will become a great singer so that I can always sing for you.” "Aaaahh Thank You Oppa! You're the best!"

With that, Jongdae and Lassie going back home. Smile never leave his face. Little Jongdae has set his mind, to be a great singer in the future and to always sing for her.

 

Days become months and months become year.

When 6 years old Jongdae realize that the gate of Mi Young’s house is locked. Her house was empty.

Jongdae came to her house after his school ended to play with her like usual. But he didn’t know why her house seemed very empty and he knew right away that there was something wrong.

“Omma!! Ommaaaaa!!” Jongdae called his mother furiously.

“Oh my God Jongdae you don’t have to yell baby! Now tell me what is it?” Jongdae’s mother come from her kitchen.

“Do you know where is Mi Young? Her house is empty. I ring a bell but no one open the gate for me. Where are they?”

His mother’s face turned to a sad face and she explained to him very carefully.

“Mi Young is not living in that house anymore Jongdae-ah. They are moving to China today.”

Jongdae just stand there with a blank face. He doesn’t know what to do or think. Her mother, see the frown in his beloved son’s face can only pat his head and squeeze his shoulder.

He then sit in his garden, Lassie beside him. He let out a long sigh. He didn’t know why he feel very empty. He missed her already. He missed her sweet smile, her eye smile, her loud laugh, her amuse face every time he sing to her…..

Jongdae’s mother come to him and give him a paper. A Polaroid picture of him and Mi Young. It was taken during their family vacation in Jeju Island last spring. Their last holiday together.

“Mi Young gave me this Jongdae-ah. She said that it’s for you and she said sorry for not be able to say good bye to you. You can keep this photo and look at it whenever you miss her. I know it’s hard for you, but trust me that your friendship will always last forever. Don’t be sad okay baby?”

He feel that his body being pulled by his mother’s arm and he let out a cry. A sad cry for losing her. He cry a lot in her mother’s arms and Lassie’s hug.


 

Seoul, 12 years later

-Beep Beep-

“Yoboseyo. Yes sweetheart. I’m just arrived … yes of course, I will go eat and sleep afterward… Thank you babe, you too. Good night and sweet dream baby.”

Kim Jongdae, 18 years old is a teenager now. He just finished his training in one of the most notable company in music industry late at night. Something that he really enjoy to do though he has to sacrifice his youth time for his training. He never complain though as it is a way to fulfill his dream as a great singer.

He’s in the middle of daydreaming when his girlfriend call him to make sure that he arrived safely at his home.

He's already in front of his house when he notice a big truck in front the house across his. Suddenly his mind wander to the memories of his childhood friend, Kim Mi Young.

They never met again after she left to China. He learns that his father is a diplomat so that her family keep moving from China, back to Seoul and many other places.

He smiles unknowingly remembering all those precious memories. How his heart fluttered every time she smile and laugh, how his heart skips a beat when she peck his cheek, and how her eyes brightened every time he sing.

She was the one who encourage him to keep singing and she makes him realize that he want to be a singer. What he do now, training day and night, is also a part of his way to keep his promise to her. To keep singing.

She’s the first girl that can make him giddy, makes his heart skips a beat and flutter. He smiles and laugh at himself. Maybe that’s what people called puppy love.

He was about to enter his house when he heard a voice of a girl and dog barking. He turns his head only to find similar face that came to his mind before.

That face, that hair, that eyes……… It can’t be…………….

“Kim Jongdae Oppa?” that girl ask.

“Kim.... Mi Young?” Jongdae ask, startled. He can’t believe his own eyes.

Before his brain could process what he has just seen, Mi Young already run into him and hug him tightly.

Jongdae, startled as ever, welcome her hug. He smile unconsciously as his memories of their childhood back.

“Welcome back Mi Young-ah….”