The REEEAAL Start

WTF?! It can't be you!!

“Mom! I’m home...” I greeted cheerfully before my jaws dropped at the sight before me. “...or not?” I coughed and took a step out of the door. I looked at my neighbour’s house, and then the exterior of my house, yea, this is my home! What the hell is going on? Did a bomb drop in here?

Clothes were thrown all over place, the couch, the table; everything was out of their place! It was nothing like how it looked like before I left the house.

“Mom?” I called again, but there was no response, and I started to panic. Was it a robbery? I thought to myself as I put down my school bag and picked up a baseball bat.

“MOM?’  I called again and tiptoed my way to her bedroom, with my heart pounding in my mouth.

1, 2,3… I counted steadily as I took in a deep breath and opened the door, only to find her making out with a guy.

“HOLY COW!” I yelled and slammed the door shut. “Get dressed and come out! RIGHT NOW!” I screamed across the door furiously. I could finally understand why those mothers in the typical soap dramas reacted that way when they catch their daughters making out with a guy; except, it’s the other way round in my house.

I watched discerning as the couple came out of the room, looking flustered. 

“Hello, you must be Ye Jin. I’m sorry we have to meet in this situation, but yes, I’m your Dad,” greeted the middle-aged man, as he held onto my mother’s hands tightly.

“Excuse me?” I furrowed your brows at the man’s words. My dad...I tried to recall how the man who contributed to my existence looked like, but everything was blurred. I was barely four when he left the family for another woman, but one thing for sure, he was tall, built and very handsome. Well, that would explain the cause of this broken family. He was so good looking that women flocked to him like bees to honey.

Anyways, back to this man standing in front of me, claiming to be my father. I scanned him from head to toe and he was nothing like what I thought he would be. He was the exact opposite; short, flabby and ugly! Sorry for being mean, but it’s hard to have any positive image of someone whom you just caught making out in your house.

“Dad?” I gagged. How disgusting. I don’t need one.

“Yes. Jinnie. Uncle Byun just proposed to me. We’ll be getting married very soon,” announced mom with a very sweet smile that I haven’t seen since forever. At the sight of her happiness, my heart gave in a little- but it wasn’t for long.

The affections between them were totally putting me off. Byun..tae (ert) I scoffed while the adults looked into each other’s eyes lovingly. I finally could tolerate no more and coughed loudly to break the couple’s longing gazes.

“Okay...young lady. I should get going. See you.” The man smiled brightly and patted me on the head.

“Bye.” I spat unwillingly when my mother threw me a death glare. No more. I won’t be seeing you again, sir.

She looked at me and frowned, “That was rude, Jinnie.”

“What?” I shrugged and refused to show any hint of regrets for acting unfriendly towards the somewhat-nice Mr. Byun. Come to think of it, he had a great smile which reminded me so much of Byun Baek Hyun. Were there that many people in this world with such ridiculously gorgeous smile? What if he’s Baekhyun’s dad? Hell no. I laughed at my stupid theory and decided that it was impossible since he’s too ugly to be related to my prince Baekhyun.

“Silly head. What are you laughing at?”

“Nothing. We should start packing. This house is a ing mess!” I cursed and corrected, “...Freaking... I mean freaking messy. Don’t stare at me like that Miss Choi!” My mom may look really feminine, but when she gets mad, hell can stop her. She shook her head disapprovingly, but she accepted my correction anyways.

Both of us started picking up the clothes sprawled all over the floor, and there was a peaceful silence in the house until she decided to give me a heart attack. “By the way, I think we should start packing to move into Uncle Byun’s house’...” she announced.

“NO WAY!!” I yelled and threw the clothes that I picked up. “I’m staying here!”

“I’m selling this house… you can’t stay here.”

“Then, don’t sell it! I’m not moving!”

“Correction; I already sold this house. The new owner is coming next week, and we’re leaving the day tomorrow!”

“WHAT THE HELL MOM? Why are you only telling me this now? I didn’t even know the existence of that Byun-tae (ert) before today, and you want me to stay with him?! SERIOUSLY?!!”

“First of all, Uncle Byun is not a ert. Don’t give him such horrible names! Next, I have my reasons for keeping it from you. I didn’t want to give you time to escape!”

“I AM GOING TO RUN AWAY FROM HOME! THIS IS SO ED UP!”

“Don’t you dare Choi Ye Jin, I’m going to be so disappointed in you...” she snapped and went into her room.

Whenever she calls me “Ye Jin”, shivers would run down my spine in anticipation for something serious to happen, and if she calls me by my full name- Choi Ye Jin, it’s a grave matter— the follow-or-die kind of situation. So, I’ve decided to follow her instructions and move into Byun’s house.

Maybe...maybe Byun-tae will be a good dad. I hope he doesn’t have any kids though. It will be really awkward.

The next day, my mom was all smiles. She seemed to have forgotten the fight we had the previous night. She even made my favourite breakfast for me- Bacon and egg. Yes, bacon! After knowing Baekhyun, I seemed to have taken a liking for bacon ‘cos it sounded like his name. Silly me, but that’s the crazy thing about love, isn’t it? I was gobbling my breakfast peacefully until the honking of the car startled me. I looked out of the windows and to my surprise-not, it was Byun-tae.

On the way to his house, I was rolling my eyes so much I thought they were going to get stuck on the back of my head. Seriously, how mushy must this old-couple get?

“Ye Jin, just to let you know so that you won’t get too surprise, I have a son.” Byun-tae said as he stopped his car.

“Psst. Nothing else could surprise me after yesterday...” I commented honestly.

He pretended not to hear you and continued, “He’s of your age, studying in the same school. You guys could be friends!” He laughed and added, “Not that I want to brag, but my son is really nice, and he’s good looking too!”

How good looking can your son be when you look just like a potato? I nodded and gave a fake smile.

“Oh there he is!” Byun-tae grinned widely and pointed at the young man approaching us.

BAM! That’s the end of my life. My knees went weak and I could barely breathe from the shock. WTF!! IT CAN’T BE YOU!!!!!! I screamed in your head and felt my world falling apart. Wtf... it really can’t be you...