Sunny and Sky

Love Story

Little 8 year Sunny cowered in the corner of the park as the group of little boys loom over her.

"Hey, c',mon, apologize!" one of the boys said.

"Yeah, apologize," another one said.

"It's your fault for bumping into, spilling my drink, and staining my shirt! Kneel down and apologize!"

Sunny whimpered, "I'm sorry...I'm sorry..."

"Not good enough. Louder!"

Sunny started to cry and spoke a little louder, "I'm sorry...I'm sorry..."

"Hey!" a voice came from behind them. The bullies turned around took see who it was and found a little boy, with his hat covering his eyes.

"Stay away from her!" the boy ordered.

"Who the heck are you?" one of the bullies said.

"Yeah. You wanna cry too?" the bullies laughed.

One of the bullies, probably their leader, pushed Sunny's head to the ground, "She has to apologize."

"She already did," the boy said.

"Not good enough," the bully kept pressing her head down. "Now, apologize!"

"I-I'm sorry..." Sunny had tears streaming down her eyes.

The boy gritted his teeth and lunged at the main bully with his fist in the air. He punched him and punched him until he cried. "Don't bully people! Especially girls!" the boy yelled at him.

The bully pushed him away and punched him back.

The boy's hat went flying away, revealing his determined eyes. Sunny looked up at him with a gleam in her eyes. The boy lunged at him again and punched him in the stomach. The bully stood up, "L-Let's get out of here. Y-You'll pay for this." The bullies ran away, crying.

The boy wiped the blood off his mouth. He looked at Sunny and stretched out his hand to her, "Are you alright?"

Sunny looked up at him for a moment before reaching onto his hand.

The boy smiled, holding her hand gently and slowly pulled her up.

"Thank you..." she said. "M-my name's Sunny by the way."

"You can call me...hm... Sky," the boy said.

"Sky? Why?" Sunny asked.

"Well, because you're Sunny. So I'm Sky," he smiled.

Soon, they became friends and hangs out almost everyday. They would always be together, laughing and smiling together. When suddenly, Sunny needed to move far away because of her father's job.

"I-I'll come back someday," Sunny's eyes were full of tears.

The boy nodded, forcing himself not to cry. He wore his usual hat so it covered his eyes which was starting to burst.

"I'll write to you... I will," Sunny said as she slowly headed to the car.

"Sunny, we have to go," her mom yelled out.

"Promise me, you won't forget me...alright?" the boy said as he took off his hat and placed it on Sunny's small head.

Sunny nodded as she sobbed, "I promise." Sunny went in the car. She looked at him as the car drove away. The boy waved and stood there even until the car was no longer visible. No letter was recieved, nor was it given.

8 years later...

"Everyone, we have a new student," the teacher told the students. Then, she gestured her hand for the girl outside the door to come in. The girl slowly went, her hair flowing behind her.

Everyone in class started whispering to each other.

"Hey, Hyoyeon, don't you think she's pretty?" a girl sitting behind her asked her.

Hyoyeon nodded and smiled, "I wonder why she transferred in the middle of the semester."

"Yeah."

"Please, introduce yourself," the teacher smiled at her.

Sunny looked at the whole class and smiled, "My name is Lee Sunkyu and I will be attending this class from now on. Pleased to meet you." She smiled.

"Dang, she's pretty," one of the boys mumbled.

"Now, your seat will be... right there. Next to the seat of that weird looking thing over there," the teacher pointed at the empty seat next to Hyoyeon.

"H-hey! What do you mean by that?" Hyoyeon stood up.

Everyone in class laughed.

Hyoyeon slowly sat back down, "Seriously... seonsangnim still has a grudge on me?"

"That's cuz you trashed her class by tripping and spilling the bucket of paint all over her and her room," the girl behind her giggled.

"T-that was an...accident," Hyoyeon told her.

Sunny went to her desk and slowly sat down, smiling at Hyoyeon. Hyoyeon smiled back at her. At lunch, everyone was crowding around Sunny, asking her questions and complimenting her.

"Hey. Sunkyu, what's your favorite color?" a student asked.

"I like your hair Sunkyu."

"You came from Seoul right? How was it there?"

"Hyoyeon." the teacher said before leaving. "You're in charge of Sunny. Show her around, make her feel comfortable."

"Eh? But why me?" Hyoyeon stood up.

"Because... Just cuz!" the teacher left.

Hyoyeon slowly looked at Sunny. Sunny looked at Hyoyeon with an apologetic look. Hyoyeon smiled and went up to her, "Do you have lunch with you?"

"Uh.. no.." Sunny slowly replied.

"No need to hesitate. C'mon, I'll guide you to the cafeteria."

Sunny stood up and followed Hyoyeon, "I'm sorry that you got stuck with me. This really wasn't necessary."

"It's no big deal. I don't mind."

"Really?"

"Yup," they went in line. "You'd like a hamburger right?"

"How did you know?" Sunny looked up at her.

"J-just guessing." They both got a burger and went to the rooftop.

"Are you sure we're suppose to be here?" Sunny asked her, hesitating to go in.

"Nope, but it's open. Might as well go in," Hyoyeon went in and sat down on the ground. Sunny finally went in and sat next to her.

"Hey, um... I'm looking for a boy," Sunny started.

"Oh? You're boyfriend?"

"N-no. We're childhood friends, I guess. They said he went to this school."

"For you to be looking for him even after all this time, you must like him," Hyoyeon smiled and ate her burger.

"It's not like that..." Sunny looked down, slightly blushing.

Days passed, and Hyoyeon and Sunny have been hanging out. Hyoyeon would help Sunny find her childhood friend.

"How do I find him? I don't know his name, I don't have his photo, I barely know anything about him," Sunny sighed.

"You'll find him. I know you will," Hyoyeon reassured her.

During lunch that day...

Sunny was walking at the back of the school, hoping to find him there. When she turned a corner, she saw 3 guys beating up another guy. Sunny slowly backed away, but without thinking, she said, "Hey! You stay away from him!"

The 3 bullies looked at her. "Well, what do we have here?" one said, grinning at her.

"You got something to say, Miss?" another one said.

"Y-you shouldn't bully other people. It's not right!" Sunny said with a shakey voice.

"But this guy poured his soda on us and he didn't even apologize," the bully said.

Sunny remembered when she was young, she did the same thing, "It's still not right."

"H-hey, I said I was sorry," the beaten up boy said.

The other bully looked at him, "Sorry doesn't do anything. If you can fix things just by apologizing, you wouldn't need police officers now, would you?"

"But he didn't do it on purpose," Sunny said.

"Do you wanna get beaten up too?" the bullied slowly walked towards her.

Awww, man. What should I do? I can't beat these guys, Sunny thought. She closed her eyes, waiting for their punch. Then, the beaten up boy slowly stood up and went in between them.

"Don't touch her," the boy said. "She didn't do anything."

"Awww, you trying to be tough? That's cute," the bullies laughed.

Sunny looked at the boy and thought, Somehow, he looks like someone right now, but... 

"Y-you won't get away with this," the boy said, almost crying.

The bullies were still laughing. "Well, what are you gonna do about it?"

The boy stayed silent. Sunny looked at him very carefully, His eyes, they're different. "Hey, are you Sky?" Sunny blurted out without thinking.

The boy looked at her, confused, "S-sky?"

"What are you blabbing about? Listen, all you have to do is give us money for laundry. This is all your fault," the bully said.

"B-but, I don't have any money..." the boy looked down.

"Well, too bad huh?" the bully picked him up by the collar and punched him. The boy sank onto the ground and didn't move. The bully looked at Sunny, "You saw us. What are you gonna do about it?"

Sunny just looked at him, "Nothing."

"Nothing eh?" the bully pulled back his big fist, ready to punch her.

Sunny closed her eyes and looked away, waiting for it, but nothing happened. She slowly opened her eyes and looked up to see Hyoyeon in front of her, holding the guy's fist.

"Are you alright?" Hyoyeon asked.

"S-somehow," Sunny answered.

"Who the hell are you?" the bully pulled back his arm.

"The question is, what the hell are you doing?" Hyoyeon asked them.

"We don't have to explain ourselves to you," the bully said and pulled back his fist again and punched her. "It's your turn."

Hyoyeon dodged it and punched him back. The bullies all charged at her and punched her. Hyoyeon tried to fight back, but there was too many of them.

Sunny looked at her fighting, It's the same as that day... Her eyes, they're the same.

"You shouldn't bully other people, especially girls!" Hyoyeon charged at the bully and punched him many times. Then, the bell rang. The bullies backed away.

"Next time, we'll get you," they walked away.

Hyoyeon was lying on the ground, breathing heavily. Sunny walked towards her, "You're an idiot."

Hyoyeon smiled, "I know."

The boy walked towards, "Thank you for what you did. I would've been dead back there."

"No problem. Just becareful next time cuz nobody might save you," Sunny smiled at him and he walked off to class.

"Hey," Sunny sat next to her. "You know my childhood friend, he saved me the first time we met. He was so brave."

Hyoyeon sat up and looked at her, "Yeah?"

"Yeah," Sunny opened her bag and took out a hat. She placed it on Hyoyeon's head.

"What's this?"

"You gave it to me, remember?" Sunny smiled.

"Took you long enough. You get into a lot of trouble, don't you?"

"Yup, so I'll be counting on you to save me again. You know, I've always thought you were a boy. Why didn't you tell me that you were a girl?" Sunny crossed her arms.

"Well, you never asked," Hyoyeon said.

"It would be rude to ask. When did you figure out it was me?" Sunny asked.

"From the very beginning since you stepped foot in that classroom, Sunny," Hyoyeon smiled at her.

Sunny smiled, "Hey can I call you Sky like old times?"

"Uh... no."

"Why?"

"Cuz it would be weird."

"You're weird."

"Look who's talking."

"Hey, you should really treat those wounds. They look terrible."

"And whose fault do you think is that?"

"That's why I'm telling you that I'll treat it for you."

"No, no, no, no."

"Does this hurt?" Sunny touched one of Hyoyeon's wounds.

"OOOOOWWWWWWW YEAH!!!!!!!" Hyoyeon screamed at the pain.

Sunny laughed, "Sorry..."