A Curious Thing

Open Your Eyes

A/N: A lot of people said they’re confused so I thought I’d summarize all that’s happened in 5 chapters. Yong and Seo have determined that they’ve woken up in the future (which they have). They’ve also determined that it happened due to a creepy phone call the night before from a mystery woman that involved a purple diamond. They have a daughter, Yunji, who only has partial hearing. They had to leave to go to perform at a concert they aren’t AT ALL prepared for. When they get there they discover that Seohyun is very close with CNBlue (to the point of inappropriate touching), Sooyoung and Jungshin are not on good terms (which hints at a rocky past relationship), and something happened to Hyoyeon because she’s missing from the group. I promise you will learn all the answers to the questions you have, but you’ll have to stick with the story to find them out. :)

 

Chapter 5: A Curious Thing

Seohyun and Yonghwa sat in silence and exhaustion in the van on the way back… home? They had made it through the concert, made it through the interactions with their members, and made it through being married to each other if only for a day. Several hours had gone by, and truthfully, they didn’t know where they had gone. Everything had felt so fast, so chaotic, and they hadn’t had a chance to breathe and just sit. It was already dark out, and the van was dark as the driver drove carefully around the city.

Yonghwa was the first to speak in a quiet voice. “I found out why Jonghyun picked you up like that. Apparently it’s an inside joke. I wasn’t there when you went into labor, and I ordered him to carry you into the hospital. He does it every time he sees you.”

Inside joke or not, Seohyun felt that it was one thing she couldn’t get used to. “Why weren’t you there when I went into labor?” She was curious.

“I had a commercial in Busan, but I didn’t miss the birth. I was on time.”

Seohyun nodded. There was another silence, and then she spoke. “Taeyeon and Sunny unnie have children, both boys. Taeyeon’s a solo artist now. So Nyuh Shi Dae is nothing but a surprise guest.”

“I got that vibe,” he admitted. “What happened? Did you ever find out what happened to—“

“Ssh,” whispered Seohyun, looking ahead at the driver, who was watching them from the rearview mirror.

The driver, now aware that the conversation wasn’t for his ears, the radio and turned the volume up. Seohyun scooted over to Yonghwa. 

“Oppa, something happened to Hyoyeon unnie, but I don’t know what. I couldn’t find out. Sooyoung wouldn’t tell me anything.”

There was no use in trying to solve another mystery. No offense to Hyoyeon, but Yonghwa wanted to first solve the mystery of going back in time where he belonged, even if mandatory military service awaited him.

“Did you notice anything weird about Jungshin and Sooyoung?” he changed the subject. “They were glaring at each other when the members greeted.”

Seohyun sighed. “I think they dated. It was quite the showdown backstage. It seems unnie broke up with him, and now, they hate each other.”

Yonghwa chuckled. “I can’t see Jungshin dating anyone in SNSD. Oh yeah, I think we’ve been married for about 4 years.”

“Eh? How do you know?”

He told her about Minhyuk’s comment about Banmal Song and how he had composed that over 8 years ago, and together, they calculated the years.

“Yunji’s 5, so that means we either had her a year after marriage or two years after marriage. We must’ve gotten married right out of my military service because Jonghyun said I had been composing our song during it.”

“Which means we fell in love while you were in the military,” Seohyun figured it out. “But how? If I wasn’t spending time with you, how did we fall in love enough to get married?”

The possibilities hung in the air.

Soon they were back at the apartment where they began their adventure. Seohyun’s legs felt like lead. Yonghwa’s throat felt a bit sore. When they got to the door, they realized they didn’t know their key to get in. After several attempts to guess what it was, the rang the doorbell and Seohyun’s mother let them in.

“Ssh,” the woman warned as they crept past Yunji’s bedroom. “She just fell asleep a few minutes ago.”

She grabbed her handbag from the couch and got ready to leave. Seohyun grabbed her arm. “Omma, are you going home?”

“Nae. Yunji, Pudding, and I really enjoyed your performances, but it’s bedtime for all of us. Get some rest. I’ll see you soon, my sweet daughter,” she kissed Seohyun on the forehead, “and my cool son-in-law,” she pulled Yonghwa into a hug, and again, he awkwardly fell into the woman’s embrace.

Seohyun walked her mother to the door and then they were left alone. Both collapsed on the couch.

“So, now what?” asked Seohyun.

“I have a theory,” replied Yonghwa. “Maybe it was just a one day thing. Maybe we were supposed to get a glimpse into our future, figure out how to change it, and then go back in time and follow through.”

“When did you have time to come up with this theory?”

“Just now?”

Seohyun sighed. “I doubt it, but I’ll believe anything. I just want to go home. I want to hug Hyoyeon unnie and tell her to never leave me again.”

The room fell silent again. Yonghwa yawned wide and Seohyun massaged her foot.

Yonghwa watched her for a long time before speaking. “Seohyun, aren’t you curious?”

“Curious? About what?”

He smiled. “Our married life. If we’re waking up tomorrow, we should explore. This place is pretty cool, you have to admit.”

“We might wake Yunji.”

“We should start with her room. We haven’t even seen it.”

Seohyun hadn’t really spent much time with the little girl, she realized. Yonghwa already seemed caring toward her, and she was curious about what kind of child they had created together.

They went to Yunji’s room and peaked in. The room was pink and yellow, with music notes and flying angelic guitars on the ceiling. Her toys were neatly put away, except a large dollhouse that looked more for decoration than play, an entire wall was a bookshelf, and three adorable pairs of slippers lined her bed. Yonghwa considered the music notes and guitars cruel to a little girl who had lost hearing in one ear.

“Omma,” Yunji stirred.

They turned to the small girl wrapped comfortably in her blankets, hugging Pudding the bear comfortably to her chest. Her eyes slowly flickered open.

“Yunji,” Yonghwa sat down beside her and whispered, “go back to sleep.”

“Appa, next time, can you take me to the concert?” the little girl mumbled sleepily. “I really want to go. Pudding will protect me. He promised.”

Seohyun, who had crossed the room to observe the bookshelf, felt her heart falter a little at the girl’s request. She looked at Yonghwa, who hadn’t found the words to say to his daughter. Seohyun plucked a book off the shelf.

“Yunji,” she said lovingly, sitting on the opposite side of the bed. “Let’s read a book, and then I want you to go to sleep.”

“Ok,” Yunji agreed sadly, her request ignored. Yonghwa didn’t recover until Seohyun began reading a book involving princesses and gold chopsticks. When the little girl fell asleep, Seohyun carefully kissed her forehead as her mother often did to her. Yonghwa the girl’s hair before they left the room.

“So we’ve seen the master bedroom, the living room, the kitchen, and Yunji’s room,” she tried to make conversation and take Yonghwa’s mind off of how Future Yonghwa had failed their daughter. “All that’s left is the master bathroom for you to see, and that area over there,” she pointed to another hallway from the living room.

“Let’s explore our room more,” he replied.

Back in their bedroom where they had woken up that morning, Seohyun found the actual walk-in closet, and Yonghwa found weird gadgets that looked like what Sooyoung had been talking on earlier at the concert.

“What are these things?”

“I think they’re our cellphones.”

Both of them tried to work them but had no idea where to start.

“Who would actually want this,” Yonghwa. “Where are the buttons?”

They became bored with trying to figure them out and explored the extra hallway, which turned out to have a small guest bathroom, a small room that looked like a mini library and resting room for Seohyun, and a spacey studio full of equipment that put Yonghwa’s keyboard and computer set-up in his room to shame. Still, there was an old laptop computer present. Seohyun made a mental note of it.

“Woah,” Yonghwa exclaimed, finally snapping out of his sadness of Yunji. “This is really nice. I have my own studio. Seohyun, I have my own studio.”

Our studio,” Seohyun pointed out. “Look. It’s my guitar you gave me forever ago.”

Sure enough, there was a hot pink guitar lying on the studio couch. Seohyun couldn’t even remember when she had taken it out. She had a total of four acoustic guitars, and she favored the newest one to learn on these days.

“Good to see it’s getting some use,” he smiled. “Come one, let’s listen to what Future Yonghwa has been working on. Did you see the crowd today? CN Blue’s never received that much love before. I thought the stage would break just from their screams and chants.”

Seohyun felt a tinge of jealousy. “I want to hear. Play something.”

While Yonghwa played clips of his compositions, Seohyun observed the studio decorations. She discovered that she and Yonghwa had done a mini album together and had won several awards for it that lined the walls. Seohyun had also released a solo album of which Yonghwa had produced that had also received love. But she hadn’t gotten to perform solo like Taeyeon had. Did that mean that she was liked better when she performed with Yonghwa? Were they that perfect of a couple?

“I’ve gotten so much better at composing,” Yonghwa noted, clicking through his old laptop. “Oh, there’s one labeled ‘Private’.”

“Hmm, this looks mysterious,” said Seohyun, who had wandered over to look over his shoulder. “Play the clip”.

Yonghwa did so. At first there was silence. Yonghwa turned it up. He could hear whispers and movement. After a few minutes, He and Seohyun exchanged confused looks.

Then, Yonghwa heard his name being echoed from the tape.

Say it again,” he heard himself say.

Yonghwa!” Seohyun’s voice was louder, followed by moans which grew louder and louder, faster and faster.

“Omo! Turn it of!” Seohyun shouted in embarrassment, trying to shut the track off.

Seohyun-ah,” his voice moaned with passion.

Yonghwa started laughing. It was a track of the two of them making love in the recording studio.

More movement, more moans filled the studio as Yonghwa continued to laugh and Seohyun finally found the off button.

“Ottoke! How can we record something like this?” She whined, hiding her face in her hands.

“Wow, no wonder we’re the Nation’s Couple,” said Yonghwa, with a bursting cheek smile. “Seohyun, I didn’t know you were that adventurous.”

The comment earned him a mortified look and glare from the maknae. “This is funny to you?”

“Yeah, it is,” he laughed.

“Well, you can laugh all by yourself on the couch. I’m taking a shower and going to bed.” She left the studio and headed back into the living room.

“Um, excuse me?” said Yonghwa right behind her. “Why do I have to sleep on the couch?”

“Because you’re the man. It’s only right,” she insisted.

“The couch is good for sitting on, but why should I sleep on it?”

“Sleep on the floor then. I don’t care what life we’re married in, we’re not sleeping in the same room tonight,” she glared at him. “I’ll bring you a pillow and blanket.”

Yonghwa knew it was a lost cause, but he was thrilled with the chance that they could share the bed. No matter how shocked he was about waking up to Seohyun in the future, she was still a beautiful girl whom he had liked once upon a time. “But what if this only lasts for one day, and the woman can’t take us back because we didn’t sleep in the bed we woke up in?”

Seohyun bounced happily down the hallway and turned before opening the bedroom door. “She took us from separate beds, didn’t she? I’m sure she’ll figure it out.”

“Seohyun-ah, come on,” he whined, pride aside, and followed her to the room.

He was met with a pillow and blanket to the face.

 

 

A/N: Next chapter coming soon!! Please subscribe if you haven't yet (and if you can't, I hope you keep visiting anyway)and thank you for reading!! There's still sooo much story to come.