The First Day

When I First Kissed You

Jessica's POV.


"Wake up! Wake up! Waaaaaaake up!"

I open my eyes. Aigoo... it's morning already. And why did I ever choose this as my alarm. My hand hits the bedside table a few times as I try to turn it off before it starts wailing again. As I finally hit the button I hear footsteps outside. Sounds like Minho's running up the stairs again.

"Wake up Noona! Mum made breakfast already!" he shouts as I hear a door close, presumably his.

I slowly creep out of the covers and stretch. Man that feels good. Slowly turning my head, I look down at the clock that was screaming at me earlier.

"What?!" I yell "It's 7:28 already?!"

I must have sat down in my bed for a while cause I remember last night I set my alarm at 7:15am. Aish why am I such a sleepy head. I jump out, run down to eat a spot of breakfast and run upstairs to throw on a pair of demin jeans and a blue shirt. Gotta rush to get ready for school. Yes that's right. First day of school. For this year that is. It's my final year and I want to make it count. Not that the other years didn't count. After all, I am class president (for the third year running) and a member of the Student Commitee.

"See ya Sis" said Minho as he ran out the door "Hurry up Mum!"

Mum began to descend the stairs as I sat on a chair fixing my stuff for school.

"Have a good day Sica" she said as she kissed me on my forehead and proceeded to follow Minho out the door.

Minho's only two years younger than me but he's already gotten pretty tall. Oh yeah. And we don't go to the same school if you're asking why I'm not going out the door with them. Minho is one of those gifted kids. Those really smart kids and Mum has worked really hard to get him to a good school. Why don't I go to that school? Well I'm not exactly as smart as him or as gifted. But I don't mind. I like my school. Even though there's all those shifty kids and the creepy teachers. And not to mention that creaking door on one of the girl's toilets that hasn't been fixed in years. But still. I like it. Especially the people there. Well not all of them. But I do love my friends.

I pick up my bag and lock the door as I wait for the bus. A few minutes have passed and I see the familiar yellow vehicle driving down the street, stopping right in front of me, it's doors opening to let me in.

"Mornin' Jessica" said Mr Hayne, the bus driver.

"Good morning" I reply kindly before walking down the aisle.

"Sica!" I hear

I smile and go over to sit down with my bestfriend, Taeyeon Kim.

"Hey Taeng" I said as I sat down "How was your summer?"

She laughed.

"Why are you asking me that? We pretty much spent it together" she replied

I laughed with her as the bus drove down the street. A few minutes later I saw another familiar face.

"Yuri!" Taeng and I call out.

"Hey!" she said as she sat in the empty seat in front of us.

We began to talk about what we've been doing these past few weeks when I turn around to see someone sitting a few seats. Someone I've never seen before. He looked at me then turned his head and faced the window.

"Hey who's that?" I whispered to Taeyeon and Yuri.

Yuri peeked behind my head and shrugged her shoulders.

"I don't know. New student maybe?" she said before looking again.

Taeyeon turned around as well, a bit more obvious than Yuri did and whispered in my ear.

"He's kinda cute..."

"Taeyeon!" I said with a laugh as I told Yuri what she said.

We all laughed as the bus stopped. We had arrived at school. We waited till most of the students had left the bus before we made our exit.

"Hey girls!" a loud voice said.

I instantly recognized that voice. Actually if you had met her once and were then blindfolded and heard her voice you'd know who it was as well.

"Tiffany!" Yuri called out as our friend made her way down with two girls beside her.

"Hey Sunny! Hyoyeon!" Taeyeon said as we all greeted each other.

"Hey Fany! Your hair's not blonde anymore!" I said as I hugged her.

"Yea. You should have seen the regrowth. It was so bad" she replied

I laughed.

"Well I think black hair suits you better"

As we began to walk towards the school I turned my head to see the guy making his way out of the bus, his bag held lazily around his shoulders. The bus then drove on as he looked around. Yea. Must be a new student.

There was still twenty minutes till class so we decided to head to the cafeteria and talk a bit more. As we made our way to our usual table, I noticed the cafeteria was different.

"Something different about this place?" I asked.

Hyoyeon answered me.

"Yea. Principal Flanders said they were going to repaint it last year, didn't he?"

"Ah right" I replied.

Hyoyeon was after all the best listener amongst us, especially during assembly. I could always count on her to tell me what went on during Principal Flanders' usual talks, especially since I out of all of us, had the tendency to doze off often.

The bell rang and we walked to our lockers to get what stuff we needed for class.  Sunny's locker is just next to mine and walked in front of me. I looked at the girl in front of me. Yep. Hasn't grown one bit over the summer. Fany next to her however seems to have grown. Well at least, taller than me anyways. We used to be the same height.

I get all my stuff, close my locker and begin to walk to class when out of no where I get bumped by some passing through and drop my book. I know it was an accident but I just can't help it. I turned around and blurted out

"Hey! Watch where you're going!"

I looked up and saw the face. The same face from the bus. He looked at me. Just looked at me. I looked into his eyes. They were dark. He looked down, picked up my book that I had dropped, handed it to me then walked off.

"What a jerk" said Yuri who was standing next to me.

Who is this guy...

"At least he picked up my book" I said with a fake smile.

We then began to walk to class. I'm a bit sad though because Taeyeon, Sunny and Hyoyeon aren't in my class this year like last year. But it's okay. I've got Tiffany and Yuri.

"Good morning Mrs Rivers" we said politely as we walked in.

"Good morning" she replied.

As class president, it  was my duty to mark the roll each morning, especially today since it was the first day of school. I read out the names and waited for a reply from the student, then marked down if they're here or not. So far, everyone's here. It all went smoothly until I got to one name and was met by silence. I read the name out again.

"Jaejoong Kim?"

There was no answer. As I moved to tick absent on his name the door opened. I turned my head to see the same guy from the bus and hallway. He looked back at me. My mouth moved.

"Are you Jaejoong Kim?" I asked.

He lazily gave me a nod and moved to the only free seat in the class room. The one next to mine. Great. This is going to be one awkward school year. I finish marking the roll and take my seat. As I sit down, I noticed the Jaejoong fellow with his head on the desk, turned facing the window. Is he sleeping? Should I wake him up?

"Jaejoong Kim!" I hear Mrs Rivers yell out "Are you sleeping, young man?"

Jaejoong slowly rose his head.

"Sorry Ma'am" he said and sat up.

Tiffany who was sitting on the table next to mine and Jaejoong's looked at me and giggled.

"Pay attention!" I said to her.

But after a few minutes into class, it was me who needed to pay attention. If you ever think of attending my school, try not to get Mrs Rivers as your teacher. She has the reputation of being one of the most boring people in the world. Her nasally voice seemed to resonate around the room and ring in my ears. The day seemed to drag on. It was so boring.

RINGGGGGGGG!!!!

Finally! That's the bell for lunch! The whole class rush out the door, not even caring about what Mrs Rivers had to say. I walk into the cafeteria to see Taeyeon, Sunny and Hyoyeon already seated, eating. I grab whatever food they have and sit down with them.

"How was your first class?" asked Taeyeon

"Oh my god. The most boringest lesson ever" I groaned.

She laughed.

"That's cause you have Mrs Rivers" she jeered.

"Well who do you have that's so much better?" asked Yuri who had just sat down next to Sunny.

"We have Miss Perez" spoke Hyoyeon.

"Aw Miss Perez! Darn!" said Tiffany who had also joined us.

Miss Perez was the exact opposite of Mrs Rivers. Young, fun and didn't have a nasally voice. I remember last year when we had a little study session with Miss Perez. It was both fun and educational. And I don't know how that works but she made it work.
As I take a bite into my sandwich I notice Jaejoong walking in, being greeted by someone.

End Jessica POV. Start Jaejoong POV

"Hey" said the guy as he approached me "I'm Hyunjoong, I'm supposed to show you around"

"Shouldn't you have done that in the morning?" I asked

He laughed a little and nodded

"Yea sorry, I couldn't find you this morning that's why. I came a bit late cause of the traffic"

"Fair enough" I said.

He lead me to the cafeteria line to get some lunch. Man I'm hungry. Hopefully this school has good food. This is like the fifth school I've been to in like... 3 years. It's actually the only school in the area that actually accepted me. Don't blame the others though. Not with my record. Been expelled too much. And it wasn't all my fault. Just... got into too many fights.

Anyways, this Hyunjoong guy. He's got some thick black glasses on and messy hair. He's almost as tall as me and a bit skinny. Looks like a bit of a geek though but whatever. He looks nice enough. As we grab our food we walk over to sit down next to another guy. Must be his friend.

"Jaejoong, this is Seunghyun" he said.

"Hey" Seunghyun said in a really deep voice "Just call me TOP"

"Why TOP?" I ask, probably some silly story behind this nickname.

"Cause he always gets TOP marks" said Hyunjoong with a smirk.

"Right" I said, sitting down and beginning to eat.

Food's not half bad actually. Bit bland but it's filling. As I continue eating I see a ball fly towards the table and hit Hyunjoong in the head, knocking his glasses off his face and onto the table.

"Hahah! Good shot Chad!" I hear someone say

I turn to see a group of guys walking towards the table, grins on their faces.

"What do you want, Chad?" asked Hyunjoong

"You two. Rest of whatever money you have. Now"

"Again?" asked Hyunjoong.

"Yes again. Unless you want to get beat up" Chad replied

I look at this Chad guy. Short light brown faux hawk. Red jacket with a logo of some bird and a basketball surrounded with flames stitched onto the right side.

"Who's this?" asked someone.

"Yea, I was wondering that too, Drake" said Chad

"What's your name, kid?" he asks

I don't reply and just continue eating my sandwich. The Chad guy takes it from me and throws it on the floor. I look around. Now everyone in the cafeteria's watching us. Great. And I wanted to stay low key in this school.

"Answer me when I talk to you, punk" he shouts

Punk. They're the punks. Just a bunch of wannabe punks. If they knew half the stuff there is to know about me, they'd be running. I look at him for a second and look back at Hyunjoong. There's fear in his eyes.

"Still not answering?" he yells

He then throws a punch but I catch his hand before it comes even near me.

There was a gasp echoing around the cafeteria. A mixture of amazement, surprise and fear as I looked at Chad.

"Woah Chad. He caught your punch" said the one named Drake

I push Chad's fist back and let go as he fell backwards.

"You don't want to mess with these two anymore" I said softly yet clearly

"Who the hell you think you're talking to?" he yells

"Some punk" I reply

He moves to punch me again but once again, I catch it and push him back.

"Has that ever happened before?" someone asks, loud enough for me to hear them

"Actually" answers one of Chad's lackeys "I remember back in Middle School when..."

"Shut up Teddy!" yelled Chad.

The one called Teddy instantly closed his mouth.

"We're not done here" he said at me before walking off, swearing at some kid looking on as he left.

Great. First day and I've already gotten into a little scuffle. Not the best start. Everyone turned around and talked amongst themselves.

"Woah.... You just stood up to Chad Jackson" said Hyunjoong in amazement

I opened my bottle of water and drank it.

"That was awesome" said TOP

A small smile formed on my face. Even though it's not something to be proud of, I was a little bit proud. After all, you don't see every day when the new kid stands up to the local bully on his first day and win. Well... if you can call that a 'win'. Wasn't even a real fight. Trust me. I've been in real fights before. After all. I'm in a gang. Although, they're not your typical gang. We're not exactly those ruthless stereotypes you'd see in a movie. No, we're just people trying to get by in life, even if it's a little corrupt and dishonest. And all this fighting, I guess it's SM's influence on me.

What's SM you ask? Well it's the gang I'm in. Some people say the letters SM stand for Soo Man. The guy who originally formed the gang many years ago. But he's dead now. These days, SM's being led by my good friend Yunho. Actually sometimes we joke around when people ask us what SM stands for. Some of our replies include: Shadow Mafia, y Men, Shark Mouth, Shawn Michaels and one of my personal favourites, Stupid Mole. Okay inside joke, you probably wouldn't get it but it's funny to me anyways.

As the lunch bell rings, I look to my right to see a girl looking at me. I look at her for a second before she turns away. It's that girl. That girl from the bus. That girl from the hallway and in class, the one that marked my name down. She looked back at me and back to her friends.

"Who's that girl over there?" I ask Hyunjoong "The one wearing the blue shirt"

Hyunjoong finished drinking and opened his mouth.

"That's Jessica. Jessica Jung"