First Date

Let's Pretend

You stared at Yoseob the whole time he dragged you out of the shop, him clutching your hand the whole time as you walked towards a map of the shopping centre. Yoseob stopped, you looked up and you saw him blushing to the extreme with an emotion on his face that could only be embarrassment! You held in your shy giggle as you asked him “Why did we stop?” He didn’t answer immediately but instead turned to the map of the floors, after about thirty seconds of intense pouring over the map, he hung his head and slowly turned to you but didn’t lift his face. “I-I can’t read English very well” he stammered, your eyes went round with surprise at his explanation, he was talking again, “Do you know where we could go?” his voice was timid and sounded almost ashamed. You blinked at him and he turned around looking flustered, he was so humiliated and wasn’t surprised when he heard a soft laugh escape you lips, but when he faced you he was surprised, you weren’t laughing at him or calling him stupid or anything like that, in fact, he almost did a double take when he saw that you in fact were blushing! “Wh-what?? Aish this is so embarrassing” he mumbled to the floor, he felt a tug on his sleeve and he looked at you. You had your hands partially over your red cheeked as you whispered “That’s actually really cute…”

“You mean you don’t think I’m stupid because I have difficulty reading English??” his face lit up when he saw you shake your head, “Of course I don’t! English is a very hard language to learn and if it makes you feel any better I can’t read Korean at all!” this caused him to laugh with you and you both just smiled. “Well the movies are just upstairs if you want” (it was the first option you thought of) You grabbed his hand before you chickened out and started pulling him up the two flights of stairs to the movie theatre and he went red at your touch, but you didn’t notice because you didn’t dare turn around, little did he know that your cheeks were burning too.  After what felt like forever holding hands you reached the top of the stairs you stood apart and didn’t look at each other until you got to the front of the line and the girl behind the desk began to talk.

“Hi what movie would you two like tickets for?” she said in her most hospitable voice, Yoseob motioned to you that you could choose, you looked at your options and decided on an action film and Yoseob got out his wallet to pay. He glanced at you with a questioning look but gave you his wallet anyway, he wasn’t suspicious of you with his wallet, he was just surprised that you chose a violence filled action movie over the sappy rom-com (he was actually quite impressed) As you went to pay, you noticed the girl was making eyes at your Yoseob (who had the decency to ignore her) You knew you had no right to feel jealous (but you did anyway ) and decided to make it clear that (even if it was acting) Yoseob was off limits! So you batted your eyelashes and said in your cutest voice “Seobie, can you go get us some food please?” (You winked hoping he would get the idea) luckily he played along, “Of course sweetie” and sauntered off towards the snack section. Just as you were about to follow him with your tickets, a middle aged woman asked “Excuse me miss but is he your boyfriend?” You tried to cover up your embarrassment in front of the girl who had been staring at Yoseob and then replied “Yeah he is, why?” and shrugged it off like it was the normal thing to say. “Because we’re having a special deal for couples, your combined ticket and food prices are halved and you get two free seats in gold class” Your mouth almost dropped open but you regained your senses in time and saw the younger girl scowling. You turned your attention back to the older woman and said “That sounds great! Could we get that?” you beamed. She organised everything for you and you were on your way.

You caught up to Yoseob and told him what had happened and he said “Awesome, now our food costs less!” You laughed, of course he would be happiest about the food and you smiled, rolling your eyes at the thought. You got a big box of popcorn with couple choc top ice creams, the workers were pampering you because you were the first “couple” to try the deal and just as the movie was about to begin, you were given a huge drink in a couples cup that had two straws, you both gawked at it but then started laughing at how ridiculously big it was. Slowly the awkwardness was fading away and was replaced by a comfortable, fun feeling and the both of you decided that you were just going to have fun, this whole couple thing would just be something to help build your friendship and you would both be comfortable with whatever happened. So you both sat back and enjoyed the movie, you pretended you didn’t notice, but in the dark no one could see your secret smile when you felt Yoseob’s arm wrap around your shoulders.